• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Challenger Approaching: Cloud Strife V2.0a2 - Fixed Silent Freezes.

Mit

Smash Ace
I checked out some screens from Das Donkey. I realize the hair was probably very difficult to work with, but I've gotta ask--why is his left arm so thin? It's not like it's a robot arm or something... It's just some metal bangles around his arm. Looks highly unnatural O.o

Miacis

Smash Rookie
I checked out some screens from Das Donkey. I realize the hair was probably very difficult to work with, but I've gotta ask--why is his left arm so thin? It's not like it's a robot arm or something... It's just some metal bangles around his arm. Looks highly unnatural O.o
Does this official artwork answer your interrogations ? :3

Oni K4ge

Smash Lord
Well, yes, its official artwork... but thats just it. Artwork. We want it to be closer to the actual model.

Mit

Smash Ace
Does this official artwork answer your interrogations ? :3
Sure doesn't. His arm isn't any thinner than it should be in that picture, and it's a misinterpretation if you think it is. That's just the style of that artist. If you look at his right arm, it's similarly thin. The guy just draws thin arms.

And I know you know this is coming:

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
I wanted to make that version but Akari really wanted it to be like the first picture.

I just rolled with it. Sorry?
That explains the mohawk. IIRC that was Nomura who drew the Dissidia artwork (twig-arms Cloud), and he FAILED at adding dimension to his hair.

Perhaps as an alternate costume he can get his proper hairstyle and non-twig arms?

Zeruel21

Smash Journeyman
That explains the mohawk. IIRC that was Nomura who drew the Dissidia artwork (twig-arms Cloud), and he FAILED at adding dimension to his hair.
That doesn't make any sense, as Nomura drew the original artwork as well. However, the art of Dissidia was based more on Amano's style, which may explain the changes.

Also, the hairstyle Cloud had in the original FFVII has been retconned out of existence. The hair in Advent Children is now used universally, as clearly seen in the 2007 reunion renders. The only exception is Dissidia. It may be easier and look better to use that, as it is a far more natural hairstyle (Which is the reason they changed it in the first place).

However, the original hair is iconic and would look good if more spikes were added and the major one was toned down.

Leo Kitsune

Smash Apprentice
That doesn't make any sense, as Nomura drew the original artwork as well. However, the art of Dissidia was based more on Amano's style, which may explain the changes.

Also, the hairstyle Cloud had in the original FFVII has been retconned out of existence. The hair in Advent Children is now used universally, as clearly seen in the 2007 reunion renders. The only exception is Dissidia. It may be easier and look better to use that, as it is a far more natural hairstyle (Which is the reason they changed it in the first place).

However, the original hair is iconic and would look good if more spikes were added and the major one was toned down.
I knew he drew the old art too, but his artwork has changed over the years. Dissidia's art is less based on Amano's style and more along the lines of some of his designs (see Bartz's alternate outfit, for example), but that's more costume-related anyways. Bartz being in "Someone Give This Kid a Sandwich" tier is more Nomura's hand than anything.

(I had a response to the retconning of FF7 aspects but it's stepping out of relevant territory)

The original hair really just represents him better, IMO. The AC-style works for AC Cloud considering he really mellowed out post-FF7. Using the original FF7 artwork would be a good thing since Nomura did a good job detailing the shape of his hair.

Mit

Smash Ace

Das Donkey released an AC skin. I can't tell if he actually changed the hair much, but it does look a bit better. I have to say, I don't think either of the hairstyles are distinctive enough for you to determine which game it's from. I do think what I see in the AC pictures is a better representation of both hairstyles. However, it seems like the mohawks need to be angled to the side or something. They're just a bit unnatural. Maybe even shorten them a bit so they fit in better, even if it sacrifices a bit of accuracy.

Of course, I don't even know if that was entirely possible or not with the vertices editing.

Also, this picture does explain a lot about your design:

Although I still think his arm is the same size. The bangles are just a lot larger in Dissidia. This picture does explain the shoulder pad a swell (which I had thought was sticking out too far).

Dark_Ermac

Smash Apprentice
Good work, although he has way too much hair spiked upwards, and not enough outwards.

I'm sure that's an easy fix though.

Kei_Takaro

Smash Lord
^ Needs a few hair adjustments
You should probably make the biceps and triceps bigger

Also, team Cloud isn't gonna consider model hacking if ever it becomes fully functional? (from any model file, it could open up many possibilities)

JoeGrandma

Smash Journeyman
Is it possible to only take the sword and have Ike with that sword, without the hair or anything?

I'm sure whoever it is making Ragna from Blazblue would want Cloud's sword over Ike's.

Fen__

Smash Ace
Is it possible to only take the sword and have Ike with that sword, without the hair or anything?

I'm sure whoever it is making Ragna from Blazblue would want Cloud's sword over Ike's.
Project BlazBlue has stopped; they're no longer working on it at all :/.

Getsuei-Moon

Smash Cadet
Yes, voice replacement now has a tutorial, thanks to VILE. It will be released next week, along side a more definitive set of moves.

I'll update this post with images and known glitches (like on kc-mm.com) tomorrow.
Voice replacement and Cloud....
I love you guys.

Miacis

Smash Rookie
Good work, although he has way too much hair spiked upwards, and not enough outwards.

I'm sure that's an easy fix though.
No it's not !

Akari_Un is currently working on all the fixes to the hair and model right now, anyway.

Oh, before I forget, Wii made an Advent Children Cloud texture that you can find on the DasDonkey Team's Blog.

Wave Kusanagi made a Kingdom Hearts Cloud texture.

ChronicleX

Smash Cadet
I am really impressed that things have come to the stage where a total conversion is possible.

Is the Pac a BB or a B+ version though?

Miacis

Smash Rookie
I am really impressed that things have come to the stage where a total conversion is possible.
There are already quite a lot of portraits and texts that can be replaced via Brawlbox, and that can be found on this thread. (I have no patience to track them all. It's only 9 pages long, it shouldn't be much trouble.)

Is the Pac a BB or a B+ version though?
Wha ? This a model and texture. I think those are not affected by vBrawl and Brawl+ compatibility ...

However, the moveset that is being developped is not designed for any particular I guess. It's already quite a hassle to do everything.

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
Just out of naive curiosity... Would it be at all possible to extract Cloud's model from another game and convert it into something Brawl-able?

bloodbane

Smash Rookie
Well, while I like the modding of the textures to fit the other Clouds... but I really think if someone's gonna do a Zack that more needs to be put in there than just a simple texture edit. It looks pretty good, yes, but it looks like someone dipped Cloud's hair in a vat of black dye and left it at that.

Good texture editing, but I'm hoping after Cloud's done the guys who made the vertex edits will change it up a bit to get an actual Zack. Though I don't think the missing shoulder pad can be added currently (I think Ike's only got one pad to mess with), if Cloud's hair is doable, I'm sure Zack's is too.

And no, Cloud hasn't been in any Wii games... but if DAE to MDL0 conversion gets completed, then that won't be an issue thanks to something I saw that deals with ripping models from PSP games and converting to DAE. Keep up the good work, everyone, can't wait to see the finished moveset in action!

Shadowbolt

Smash Ace
but if DAE to MDL0 conversion gets completed, then that won't be an issue thanks to something I saw that deals with ripping models from PSP games and converting to DAE.
I seriously can't wait for this to happen. Not only would that allow more non-Brawl models, but it'd also open up the potential for completely custom models that we make.

As for PSP models, I actually think I'd like to see Dissidia Cloud in Brawl. The thing is, could that model simply be "pasted" over the current one without changing the moveset?

jackharvest

Smash Apprentice
A lot more of these projects are heavily underway at Kittycorp: MeowMix, so keep an eye out for characters that are altered to suit the looks of characters more specifically.

is there a guide to vertex hacking?
The one guide that's in circulation is completely in Spanish [since Das Donkey Team released it], and not even I can follow it to the end without having the result be different than expected. Stickman of the KC:MM Team is working on a much better guide that involves the usage of Blender instead of 3ds Max.

He'll release that in the next few days. Expect a video version of the guide from yours truly by the end of the week.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
I seriously can't wait for this to happen. Not only would that allow more non-Brawl models, but it'd also open up the potential for completely custom models that we make.

As for PSP models, I actually think I'd like to see Dissidia Cloud in Brawl. The thing is, could that model simply be "pasted" over the current one without changing the moveset?
I've actually read about dae to 3ds conversion. This applies because I'm fairly sure that using the das donkey vertex box you could put said 3ds into mdl0.

dirtboy345

Smash Ace
well we thought we were gonna get it a while ago (at least i did) so by now its basically just forgotten about even when we get it

Akuma2120

Smash Ace
well we thought we were gonna get it a while ago (at least i did) so by now its basically just forgotten about even when we get it
Hate to say this but I kinda agree, I completely forgot about Cloud. I don't download anything until it's completely finished, and I haven't even seen a hint of the V2 vertex hacked model.

But if this does get completed, there will be much commotion rest assured.

jackharvest

Smash Apprentice
Update: The first post has been updated with the most recent information. All glitches have been fixed that caused the silent freezing. There is, however, 1 side-effect that we're ironing out, and we'll have said fix available tomorrow to the public.

Ultraxwing

Smash Ace
The psa is AWESOME even thought i got it yesterday from the Das donkey website. it is very awesome the finals smash is pretty fun =D

GP&B

Ike 'n' Ike
NNID
MetalDude
BTW in PSA terms, will you have it made for Brawl+ ?
I second this question.

So far, he feels a little OP which isn't a big deal to me. I think the recovery sort of balances him out since >B doesn't get anywhere close to the same distance as a partial charged QD and ^B is easy to spike. Aerial nB is pretty insane. and Utilt is like Mario's Utilt with a sword. Overall very enjoyable to play.

Top Bottom