• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mindgames, Tech Chasing, Meta Knight, and Other Pro Strategies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omenknow

Smash Rookie
Mindgames - Mindgames are a way of exploiting the opponent's lack of free will, so that their future moves can be predicted, and they can be "baited" into some form of trap. There is no factor of chance to mindgames, because all human actions are preset, and because they are incapable of randomizing their actions. Players skilled in mindgames are known for being able to write down all of their opponent's actions before the match has started, using their psychic prediction abilities.

How to Become a Pro Tech Chaser

Tech chasing is just another way of exploiting the opponent's preset actions and lack of free will, just like mindgames. Every action a human makes is a situational based desicion, or a decision based on past experience.

Here is an example of each:

1. Situational based decisions - if the game is SSBB, and the opponent is playing as the Ice Climbers, then you can assume with 100% certainty that his next move is going to be a chain grab.

2. Decisions based on past experience - Say you have two defensive choices, and you are trying to vary them randomly and confuse your opponent. You would never want to use the same one twice in a row would you? That would be too predictable. So in order to guarantee randomness, you must vary your decisions by alternating between the two, like this - 12121212121212121212121212121212121212121212121212 1212121212121212121.

Alternating between two options is the absolute limit of human randomness. A sequence such as this is impossible - 12221221121122111211212212121211221211112122211211 121
So when tech chasing, all you have to do is find the opponents pattern, (121212121212) and punish it. I believe you will find this rule very consistent with all people.

Unfortunately that is impossible because technically 1212121212121212 is not a pattern, and cannot be predicted. So in order to compensate for the opponent's random actions you must learn how to "manipulate" and "mindgame" them.

Those terms cannot be defined because they are supernatural and do not exist.

I hope you find this helpful.

How to Win

Let me start by quickly introducing myself. I am an MLG pro gamer, with an incredible amount of experience in SSBB, and fighting games in general. My tech chasing strategy (the 121212 pattern) has changed the way Brawl is played. Predicting the opponent's reaction while tech chasing is now obsolete, and KNOWING their reaction has taken its place. I have recently discovered that this does not only apply to the tech chasing process, in fact, it applies to every situation imaginable. Similar formulas can be used to factually determine all of the opponent's future reactions. This is based on the simple fact that since human randomness is impossible, our decisions follow a pattern, and if they follow a pattern, they can be predicted with perfect accuracy - they can be KNOWN.

We all know this is true because otherwise, things such as tech chasing and mindgames would have a factor of chance, which would drastically reduce the competitive value of Brawl.

Here is an updated list of formulas for many of the mindgames and techniques in Brawl.

Dash Dance

L-left R-right A-attack J-jump GS-game status
Description - The dash dancer's only options are to vary left and right motions, and potentionally throw an attack into the mix. (Dash Dance patterns cannot start with attacks)

Dash Dance Formula - L + R * A * X * J * X * GS * X = X
(The variable X is different for some people, and must be determined through mindgames. It is however, a constant for all people.)

Tech Chasing

1-roll left 2-roll right 3-stand up 4-lay still 5-attack
Description - Tech chasing involves varying and predicting the five options you have while lying on the ground.

Tech Chasing Formula - 1 * X * 2 * X * 3 * X * 4 * X * 5 = X
(The variable X is different for some people, and must be determined through mindgames. It is however, a constant for all people.)

Shielding At Close Range

S-shield D-dodge J-jump
Description - Shielding is a simple mindgame that occurs in close proximity (within and near grab range) in which the defending player predicts and dodges grabs and blocks standard attacks. The attacking player tries to predict and manipulate the opponent's defense. There is no formula for shielding at longer ranges because of the lack of an unblockable attack to produce the two components required for a mindgame to take place.

Shielding At Close Range Formula - S * X * D * X * J * X = X

Here is one last formula to predict all of your opponents future moves - SSBB Moves * X = Future Moves.

Overlooked Meta Knight Counters

In the past I had only concentrated my expertise on advanced gameplay strategies, such as formulas for prediction and mindgames. My goal was to create a method that could be used to produce perfect factual prediction. Despite being entirely successful at this, I felt that I had not completely refined Brawl's gameplay. Something was missing in the all the great tactical knowledge I had discovered. The problems involving the god character, Meta Knight, still existed, even with all of my scientific strategies.

I have found that Meta Knight is such a powerful character that my nonspecific formulas are ineffective against him. What good is prediction if the opponent is so lagless and all-powerful that your counters are unable to ever reach him? Meta Knight has reduced the number of viable characters, and made the game much more degenerate overall.

Despite all this, I never considered being pro-ban, because an unnecessary ban is the scrub's way. I think the ban criteria in the book, Playing to Win, clearly states that Meta Knight is not ban-worthy.

http://www.sirlin.net/ptw-book/what-...be-banned.html

"Banning a tactic simply because it is “the best” isn’t even warranted. That only reduces the game to all the “second best” tactics, which isn’t necessarily any better of a game than the original game. In fact, it’s often worse!"

"The only reasonable case to ban something because it is “too good” is when that tactic completely dominates the entire game, to the exclusion of other tactics. It is possible, though very rare, that removing an element of the game that is not only “the best” but also “ten times better than anything else in the game” results in a better game. I emphasize that is extremely rare." - Playing to Win

Meta Knight is not "completely dominant" because there are still other viable characters, and Meta Knight is definitely not "ten times better than anything else in the game". So by this criteria, Meta Knight is not ban-worthy. Keep in mind that none of this is debatable.

So, even without the counter that I am about to offer, Meta Knight is still not ban-worthy.

Now to explain the counters I have created. I suggest using Marth, Diddy Kong, and definitely Snake as primary counters to Meta Knight. I realize that these characters are very obvious choices, but it is their strategies that I find most important. I will give a Meta Knight specifc formula for each character.

Marth

Strategy - Marth's counter plays a major role in defeating Meta Knight. Use it to frequently mindgame him and rack up damage. Unfortunately, Marth is unable to effectively fight Meta Knight without the use of mindgames. This is why Marth is not commonly used against Meta Knight, however, I think you will find that his mindgames are rather strong.

Formula

A-attack, G-grab
A * X * G * X = X

Diddy Kong

Strategy - Diddy Kong is a proven counter to Meta Knight. His high priority and speed makes for a close match, along with his banana mindgames. Because of these features he does not need to focus on mindgames as much as Marth.

Formula

A-attack, G-grab, S-shield, B-banana, D-dodge
A * X * G * X * S * X * B * X * D * X = X

Snake

Strategy - I consider Snake to be the best counter to Meta Knight because of his balanced combination of powerful mindgames, and overall fighting strength. He is outmatched in speed, however, so you will need to compensate for this by primarily relying of his faster attacks and his mindgames. He is also a fairly good edge guarder and tech chaser.

Formula

A-attack, TC-tech chase, D-dodge, S-shield, G-grab, EG-edge guard
A * X * TC * X * D * X * S * X * G * X * EG * X = X

Remember that Meta Knight is still not ban-worthy, regardless of the effectiveness of my counters, because he does not completely dominate the game. I only offered these counters to help lessen the degenerate gameplay caused by Meta Knight.

hotdogturtle

Smash Master
This does not belong here.

(Incidentally, this is a pretty bad topic overall, and I don't think it belongs on any board here >_>)

TaterSalad0811

Smash Lord
Doing flying chaingrabs across southeast PA
Oh good lord, not THIS again...

That mod needs a raise or something for shutting down these threads, like seriously, it's getting really old...

Actually, some of this I even recognize as copypasta of one of the older threads. SWF needs to do an IP ban on this guy...

Isatis

If specified, this will repl[0x00000000]ce the
Premium
BRoomer
NNID
reverite
Moderating from a phone sucks.

As I got home, started looking through the replies and found that was an alt account of someone who was banned for spamming the OP as SoniKupo noted.

Anyway, locked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom