• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metaknight's Effect on the Community: Quitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
A lot of people claim that people have quit brawl because of mk, but its always by word of mouth. I almost never hear anyone actually say, "I quit brawl because of mk." On the other hand people theorize that a lot of people will quit brawl once metaknight is banned, but again I only here this by word of mouth. That said I would like people to:

1) Post in this thread if you quit brawl for any metaknight related reason in this form:
Tag
How did mk make you quit
Would a ban or temp ban on MK bring you back to brawl
ex.
1)
rathy
I hate mk because he took the guy from punch out's spot on the roster! >=(
Yes

2) Post in this thread if you would quit brawl if metaknight was banned or temp banned in this form:
Tag
State whether metaknight is your main, secondary, otherwise, or none of these
Would to quit if there was a temp ban
ex.
2)
Aro
I don't even play mk.
Yes, I would quit even if there's a temp ban, but come back when its lifted.

note: Please post for yourself here and NOT for your friends. Also I don't really want any discussion within this thread. You can use this instead for talking about what ever data is collected here. I also understand that people who have quit brawl may no longer visit smashboards, so to all those that know someone who quit, please encourage them to post here.

iRJi

Smash Champion
you do know that if they quit brawl, they are most likely not browsing the forums lol.

Delvro

Smash Ace
Your target population will be skewed, i.e. the people that respond are people that feel very strongly about the issue AND haven't already quit and left smashboards because of Meta-Knight.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
There are more flaws in this than I can count.

But honestly I thought this was going to be some OS thread when I saw the title.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
It should also be said that some may have quit with Meta Knight being one of the reasons (and not the sole reason).

:052:
I understand this, but if it even played a part that would be good to know.

@ultimario: Feel free to point out the flaws. Keep in mind there is an edit button that allows me to change the first post.

PND

Smash Champion
I'll bite.

Tag:
PNDMike / PND

How did mk make you quit?
Not MK per se, but rather the abundance of timeouts that I have faced. The campy nature of Brawl turned me off of it, but planking and air camping (not MK specific, but he is the biggest offender) put me over the edge.

Would a ban or temp ban on MK bring you back to brawl?
No, I've upgraded back to Melee and I'm not coming back (unless it's for monetary purposes. . . or Brawl+). Banning MK would not bring me back because Metaknight is only a symptom of a greater disease -- the poor game mechanics that allow these stalling strategies to flourish. Unless an overhaul is done to the current rule system regarding stalling I have no desire to return to Brawl.
I'm anti-ban, if that wasn't clear.

Not exactly MK specific, but perhaps the data is usable.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
@ultimario: Feel free to point out the flaws. Keep in mind there is an edit button that allows me to change the first post.
The two biggest flaws that stops this from being an effective count have already been mentioned, but an error has already shown itself.

Pretty much, as PND as shown, what you'll get in here will be Melee players. Everyone else wouldn't be on this board at all.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I would quit if I had to face camping Meta Knights on a regular basis... Does that count for anything?

(I seriously change characters just so I don't have to deal with some camping strategies, it's a personal thing)

smasher01

Smash Ace
once mk gets banned im done with this game. im not spending 100 plus hours just to get used to another char plus the game is not that fun for me any ways. ill just play melee.

OverLade

Smash Hero
A lot of the people who quit this game due to MK will never see this thread haha.

Makes half your target audience rather elusive, eh?

EdreesesPieces

Smash Bros Before Hos
BRoomer
NNID
EdreesesPieces
I understand the sentiment for this - in essence its a good idea to figure out the general numbers on this, but...honestly, this is like posting "respond if you are dead" the people you are looking for aren't exactly here...

Overswarm

is laughing at you
If you actually want to do this, you'd need to do the following:

-collect attendance numbers for tournaments using Ankoku's data
-collect attendance numbers for tournaments on AiB that weren't reported
-compare attendance over time with usage of Metaknight over time
-get a general estimate using these numbers and distribute it to the community as a starting point for an unknown range with multiple variables

It is unlikely you'd get conclusive data in this way

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Maybe we could make a thread of how many people would quit Brawl if MK was banned.

I personally would because by the time MK is banned, if he is, that is, I could switch over to Project M :p

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
I understand the sentiment for this - in essence its a good idea to figure out the general numbers on this, but...honestly, this is like posting "respond if you are dead" the people you are looking for aren't exactly here...
There's no poll here. This is not to get numbers per se just a general idea.
If you actually want to do this, you'd need to do the following:

-collect attendance numbers for tournaments using Ankoku's data
-collect attendance numbers for tournaments on AiB that weren't reported
-compare attendance over time with usage of Metaknight over time
-get a general estimate using these numbers and distribute it to the community as a starting point for an unknown range with multiple variables

It is unlikely you'd get conclusive data in this way
That won't tell me what I'm trying to find out at all.
Didn't Hylain say something about not makin anymore MK thread.....or something.
Also, there is more people who quit Brawl for other reasons that have nothing to do w/ MK.......than people who quit do to MK.
If he said that than I apologize for this thread and it can be closed if he or any mod sees fit.
Maybe we could make a thread of how many people would quit Brawl if MK was banned.

I personally would because by the time MK is banned, if he is, that is, I could switch over to Project M :p
This thread also has that goal as well. People seem to be focused on the first part and ignoring the second part, which doesn't have the same issue as the first.

rathy Aro

Smash Lord
It'll tell you who more than likely quit due to MK.
That's what I wanted to avoid though. If you could have those people post in this thread or at least quote their words from aim, another post, etc, that would be fine as well.

Spelt

BRoomer
BRoomer
sheesh people, i think more than enough of these kind of threads have been locked already.
maybe it would be wise to stop making them.

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
I've quit cause of MK timing me out

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
I won't quit Brawl, but I will make it my mission to advance the metagame as gay as possible by ledge camping and scrooging with Pit. Good luck getting me off the ledge.

I like this thread more than the Metaknight Official Discussion thread.
What is a Character Specific thread doing on the Brawl Tactical Boards?

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I won't quit Brawl, but I will make it my mission to advance the metagame as gay as possible by ledge camping and scrooging with Pit. Good luck getting me off the ledge.
Wait by ledge, grab it, drop down, hit you, you up+b, kill at any %.

10inb4IhavetotellyouIcanlaseryouwithROBtogimpyouifyougounderthestage

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
Wait by ledge, grab it, drop down, hit you, you up+b, kill at any %.

10inb4IhavetotellyouIcanlaseryouwithROBtogimpyouifyougounderthestage
On ledge, drop off ledge hop Uair with invincibility pushes from the ledge unless you dont shield and get hit, Up B next to ledge pushes away and instantly grabs ledge. There is no time for you to grab it if done right.

If you jump over my head and go behind me, I go on the stage, go to the other ledge and repeat.

Glide under stage and up-b say hi. You cant beat both with one laser.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
#1: If you jump over my head and go behind me, I go on the stage, go to the other ledge and repeat

You're planking is so broken. I can only get you on the stage if I jump behind you? That's all it takes?

#2: Glide under stage and up-b say hi. You cant beat both with one laser.

No, but I can beat it with two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj8WK2r85c

Watch how far he goes.

Now tell me if he can make it under smashville before I can laser him twice. Hell, can he make it halfway across smashville? That's quite a gamble.

OverLade

Smash Hero
OS to find data on this, try going to the individual character boards and making topics.

I'd specifically recommend the Marth and DK boards. Don't just ask who quit, ask who picked up MK in response.

iRJi

Smash Champion
I quit Brawl and I come on here daily. Quitting Brawl=/=quitting SWF.
Yea, in your case lol.

I just know that If I quit brawl I wouldn't bother looking on here. I am sure I am not the only one.

•Col•

Smash Champion
I've considered quitting, but eventually decided not to because of friends that play the game. While I may be pro-ban, I don't expect MK to be banned, and I don't think I'll quit because of him... I do want him to be banned though, and I want the POSSIBILITY of him being banned to be be there (for now, at least)...

So yeah, if Omni's little plan of "lol im gonna go around and get all of the TO's to agree not to ban MK even if SBR says to lolololol" actually works, then yeah, I'm quitting.

Such a **** move, Omni....

etecoon

Smash Hero
So yeah, if Omni's little plan of "lol im gonna go around and get all of the TO's to agree not to ban MK even if SBR says to lolololol" actually works, then yeah, I'm quitting.

Such a **** move, Omni....
if you look at the user group, he's already got a **** load of atlantic north(your region) on board, might as well just quit now

also to OS, I second what halberd said, marth, DK, ROB mains in particular might be good people to ask specifically(although I'd imagine you're already familiar with how MK's existence has impacted most ROB players)

Overswarm

is laughing at you
MK himself killed ROB. I'm not really interested in it though, because I don't show faulty information. If I can't give more than "players X Y and Z" did, it's worthless.

•Col•

Smash Champion
if you look at the user group, he's already got a **** load of atlantic north(your region) on board, might as well just quit now

also to OS, I second what halberd said, marth, DK, ROB mains in particular might be good people to ask specifically(although I'd imagine you're already familiar with how MK's existence has impacted most ROB players)
Oh wow, I didn't even realize he had that group for it... Wow... I just noticed my best friend is even in the group... XD I knew he was currently anti-ban (he's switched sides several times), but I didn't think he'd join a group... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.

...Now I must seriously consider quitting. :/ Darn, and I was just about to get serious about Brawl this spring/summer.

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I knew he was currently anti-ban (he's switched sides several times), but I didn't think he'd join a group... YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE.
Again, Omni's group means nothing. :p

etecoon

Smash Hero
If the members are serious about not banning MK, even if becomes the new SBR standard, then it definitely does mean something. xD
that depends on how numerous they are and where the community stands on the issue. they might not ban MK, but what will happen if people stop going to their tournaments in favor of going to MK banned tournaments?

Tommy_G

Smash Champion
#1: If you jump over my head and go behind me, I go on the stage, go to the other ledge and repeat

You're planking is so broken. I can only get you on the stage if I jump behind you? That's all it takes?

#2: Glide under stage and up-b say hi. You cant beat both with one laser.

No, but I can beat it with two?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMj8WK2r85c

Watch how far he goes.

Now tell me if he can make it under smashville before I can laser him twice. Hell, can he make it halfway across smashville? That's quite a gamble.
He isn't doing it right. He kept going after you and wasting all of his jumps. Besides, there isn't a second ledge on this stage.

If you jump behind me, I get to get onto the stage for free. That also means I can get to the other ledge for free using the shield button.

I've seen very close to his full potential and Pit ledge camps better than MK.

Falco would have eventually countered ROB. Lasers and reflector say hi.

•Col•

Smash Champion
that depends on how numerous they are and where the community stands on the issue. they might not ban MK, but what will happen if people stop going to their tournaments in favor of going to MK banned tournaments?
I guess I could understand that. But that's not what they're doing at all. They're not even giving it a chance.

Basically, they're just going "HAHA, **** YOU PRO-BANNERS!" <_<

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom