• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Increase effect of weight on throws

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatGuy

Smash Master
Hi guys :).

So if you don't know me, I'm ThatGuy and I'm an Ike main. I wanted to address an issue that has been frustrating me beyond belief for some time now. I think this is a good time to bring it up due to the recent heated discussion that has been taking place in the ROB+ thread, or more specifically, the issue that chesterr01 has pointed out with regards to ROB's Dthrow->Nair setup at any %.

So basically, the issue I want to bring up is that weight does not have enough effect on throws. As an Ike main, I've grown tired of getting Uthrowed/Dthrowed by anyone into any move of their choice, and after some quick testing I see the reason why.

The heavier a character is, the longer it takes for the thrower to recover from their throwing animation. This is the case now, however the difference is barely noticable. A quick test jer performed for me (since I'm a poor *** student without a Wii) was taking Marth and Fthrowing Jiggs and trying to follow up ASAP, and then he did the same with DK and the difference in lag was way too little for the amount of weight discrepency these characters share.

The heavy characters get shafted extremely hard here because they don't fly as far as a floaty character, but the difference in throw animation is not enough to cover for their time to recover from the throw. As a result, heavy characters get wrecked by guaranteed setups at virtually any percentage!

This is essentially the reason why in Melee, Fox can Uthrow Uair Jiggs very consistently, while it's actually not guaranteed on a character such as Ganon (with proper DI). I believe that the tone-down in throw animation delay is because of Brawl having the hitstun cancelling mechanic, thus making guaranteed follow-ups from throws night impossible the majority of the time.

Please find a solution for this. I'm tired of getting Uthrow/Dthrow to anything-you-want every grab. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom