• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Editing EFLS resources - progress started??

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OK. I'm trying to edit EFLS resources to give a character another character's external graphic effect.

So far, I looked at the .EFLS files in a hex editor and found out a few things.

Header
offset 0x05 is the number of external graphic effects in the file in hex.
offset 0x07 appears to be important too. I'm not sure why. I'll elaborate on this later.

After that, the graphical effects begin.

How do I explain this....

I'll use Snake's EFLS file for example.

This is how it looks in BrawlBox now.

I exported it and looked at the file in the hex editor.

When I looked through it, I noticed that the lines after the header, in the case of Snake
offsets 0x10 to 0x140 they refer to different offest in the file.

Using the first one at 0x10 as an example, offsets 0x16 and 0x17 point to the first letter of the graphic name shown later in the file.

I thought about how I can add effects to the resource and I came up with this.

Let's use Falcon's EFLS files in this example.

I copy the lines from 10 to c0 and inseted them into line 140 of Snake's EFLS file.

Then I copied the rest of Falcon's EFLS file to the bottom of Snake's file.

Then I noticed it wasn't showing up properly in Brawlbox.

This was for 2 reasons.

1. I didn't change offset 0x05 to reflect the added changes

2. I didn't change the offset references.

First I changed offset 0x05 to reflect the added effects. 13 + b = 1e

Then I had to change the offest reference for all of these lines to the appropriate offset.

I did not change the lines that reference 00 since they are seen as ,<null> in BB.

For example, line 20 in Snake's file will refer to the original location of the name of the file
PtcSnakeC03AttackS4S which was at 140. It's new location is at 1f0. So I just changed it to that.

Still didn't show up corretecly so I changed 0x07.

Almost forgot. offset 0x07 in Snake's file is 3 and Falcons is 2. I added them to make 5.

After changing all the offset references and offset 0x07, the EFLS showed up in BB like this.

Any thoughts on this so far?

Kryal

Smash Ace
Effect list files are just lists of strings and variables. All variables can be edited within BBox. What you see is what you get, no more, no less. If you want to change an effect with BBox, all you have to do is change the name or one of the Unknown fields.

EFLS files coincide with REFF files, which aren't supported yet. Think of EFLS as a lookup table for the REFF. There are also RE3D files attached to EFLS, but those haven't been done yet either.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I was looking at these awhile ago trying to add a graphic effect. I have notes at home with more on what the header means. I was wondering what RE3D was.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
The MiscData[1] and MiscData[2] are the REFF and RE3D files. I noticed something about the header of one of the files. I'll elaborate when I can look at the file again to confirm which one I was looking at, but the header of one of the files contains the file size and a reference that always points to an offset that's always 18 less than the end of the file.

AMKalmar

Smash Ace
I want to post my notes on this and look into it more but I've got all this other crap stacked up that I have to do. I wish I would do fewer things and finish them instead of start many and... not.

Laaaaaeem. Not enough time in a day.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
It was the .REFF file.
The header contains the size of the file at
offset 0x08 - 0x0c.
There's a part of the file that states a value that is always the number of letters in a character's name +1.
I looked through Snake's, Falcon's, Pit's, and Lucas's files to find it.

Please forgive my lack of speed.
The laptop where the magic happens is not the same PC I use to post.

Edit:
Yup.
offset 0x08 - 0x0c is the file size, and the end of the file.
offset 0x14 - 0x17 always points to the hex value that is 18 hex units before the end of the file.
offset 0x25 always contains the # of letters in a character's name plus one.
For example:
Snake and Lucas has 6 in the value,
Pit has 4,
and Captain(Falcon) has 8 in that offset.

Top Bottom