• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Balanced Brawl Standard Release

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mit

Smash Ace
Some of those new changes sound great. Particularly Link's recovery and Falcon Kick (although I still think it should never cancel into another Falcon Kick... but atleast the voice sample doesn't repeat). I still think some of the super armor implementations are a bit much, and are relatively large game changers, but eh, sounds like most don't agree.

The next release is already going to be standard, though? :O I expected 1 or 2 more beta releases.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
let me think...

i can imagine it's great against DDD, snake, ike, and ROB...

sounds very tasty. you could have tried shield damage with fair tip hitboxes as well. i'd absolutely love giving charizard a not absolutely ****ty tech roll but i can imagine how awkward it is; i suppose that'll have to wait until we have a more effective/efficient way to change/create animations. you could try replacing his backward missed tech roll with his normal successful tech roll.

dragoncrescent

Smash Rookie
On Charizard: The heavy armor on his flying animation is a surprisingly cool idea. I rarely found myself WILLING to go into flight mode, since I knew anything as simple as Wolf's shot could screw me up. Fly is tricky to aim sometimes, but it hasn't really been much of a concern when he's in flight mode. So I just want to say this was a great idea!

I'm not sure how much a shield-stabbing b-air will help, but it does sound interesting. Definitely something to give a try. Hopefully, it won't devolve into something like Ivysaur's situation, where she can essentially rush you facing backwards.

Don't play ZSS, but I do play around with Zelda and Sheik every now and then. My primary complaint about Zelda has always been her recovery. I may just need more practice with Farore's Wind. Her ice element Naryu's Love feels... weird. It kind of works against human players, not so much against the CPU. Another of Zelda's problems is that she really, really hates being juggled. Her d-air is a weak meteor that usually can't gouge people off the ground, and Naryu's Love is iffy. Farore's Wind is handy, but most human opponents can eventually figure out just how much of a parlor trick it is, accurately predicting where you will teleport and punish accordingly.

Sonic's d-tilt. Weird. Fun. I rarely used it until this new change. It seems to put opponents in an uncomfortable position, and it's good as a 'get away from me!' move. Does this change help Sonic with a certain matchup?

Someone suggested super armor on one of Sonic's spindash attacks. That might be useful. I know the super armor on Spin Charge has saved my *** a few times. It seems to work somewhat for Yoshi's Egg roll, so it may be an interesting idea to toy with.

JOE!

Smash Hero
@Mit's wariness over Super Armor:

lets take a look at what characters/moves got SA:

Bowser's Fsmash (does he have relentless too in this version? havent downloaded yet). This is stupidly useful for bowser as it is another means to give him breathing room other than the frtress, and thats his biggest concern: being juggled/pressured to death

Yoshi's Egg Roll doesnt change much, but it does make his matchup with Falco and other campers neutral again as he now has a more solid approach than the predictable Bair.

Ganondorf....needs all the help he can get

Ike is in a similar situation to the 3 mentioned above, but at the same time I dont think SA is enough to just call him "fixed"...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Speaking of mainstream releases, release candidate is here:

Download here!
Remember to leave your SD card in!

BTW, we are going to rename "BBrawl Tricks" to "BBrawl Bonuses".

Changelist

:peach: Peach
Peach Bomber Canceling interrupt window starts on frame 6 instead of 4, and only lasts until frame 25.

:bowser2: Bowser
f/b-throw damage increase from 10% to 12%
d-throw knockback adjusted, always knocks down
u-throw damage increases from 10% to 13%, hitboxes extended to cover shell and now hit softly inwards, last hitbox hits slightly upwards

:dk2: Donkey Kong
Crap, I forgot to make Big O's suggested tweaks. Well, I'll do do that now.

:link2: Link
Hookshot out of up-b now goes into the special fall state; normal hookshot use unaffected

:zelda: Zelda
Nayru's Love Freezing removed
BBrawl Bonus: Nayru's Love Sliding
Nayru's Love now hits opponent's inward initially, and finishes by launching them upward. Zelda is also allowed impressive horizontal control during Nayru's Love, and can interrupt the ending lag with basic attacks. (Ground or aerial)

:ganondorf: Ganondorf
Up-b uppercut slightly tweaked; damage increased from 18% to 23%, but overall knockback very slightly decreased

:toonlink: Toon Link
No changes. Toon Link's fixed f-smash and d-smash will probably be his "BBrawl Trick".

:zerosuitsamus: Zero Suit Samus
Both versions still included. We'll probably go with the jab linking one instead of Ampharos's stun idea, even though the stun version is more fun.

:fox: Fox
Side-b cancel window tightened to 10 frames.

:falco: Falco

:wolf: Wolf

:falcon: Captain Falcon
Falcon Kick Canceling *significantly* more polished. Can be done automatically by holding B (or whatever your special button is). Does not allow grounded Falcon Kick to grounded Falcon Kick, aerial Falcon Kick to aerial Falcon Kick, or Falcon Kick out of wall rebound. In other cases, repeat Falcon Kick does not repeat the "Falcon Kick!" voice clip. This does not affect the normal playback of the voice clip.

:pt: Pokemon Trainer

:ivysaur: Ivysaur
Dair boost is now interruptible at apex with ledge grab, specials, double jump, footstool jump, and air dodge.

:charizard: Charizard
Fir hit of bair does 10 extra shield damage. (Base damage of 5% unchanged)

:lucario: Lucario
BBrawl Bonus: Unblockable Double Team
I mean, it's basically what it sounds like. Go nuts.

:jigglypuff: Jigglypuff
d-throw damage increased from 10% to 11%, knockback growth decreased considerably

:marth: Marth
+1% shield damage restored to tipper fair
Counter unblockable

:ike: Ike
nair autocancels and has IASA on frame 37; overall behavior similar to Ganon dair.
Counter unblockable

:lucas: Lucas
dair actually fixed this time, and also given small amounts of shield damge to compensate for the damage adjustment made previously

:gw: Mr. Game & Watch
+1% shield damage restored to distant hits of bair

:sonic: Sonic
dair no longer disallows movement--behaves like g&w dair, can be slowfalled

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
This build is the release candidate--this is what we are considering potentially ready for release, but require continue feedback and testing on first.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
Looks good, cant wait to test it.

Im curious though what was the point of increasing the damage and tweaking the KB of Ganon's Up B. Is it just for making it do more damage without it being overpowered?

IrohDW

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2473-0493-0622
I love many of the changes made in this release.

Nayru's love is amazing. This really helps zelda to approach opponents which has always been one of her greatest weaknesses. Sliding grab and sliding upsmash are incredible. The added momentum is also a huge buff to zelda's recovery. The only problem I have with it is that you can only jab or tilt in the direction you are facing. I think that you should be able to jab or tilt in either direction which would enable better followups.

Jigglypuff's new downthrow is what it should have been from the beginning. It now hits low enough for followups.

Link's new recovery is good, but I don't like the fact that you have to use the hookshot immediately after the upb ends. I think that makes it too predictable. It would be better if the hookshot could be used at any time after the spin attack ends.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Well, it was just slightly out of line with the general damage/knockback curve of the rest of the game. 18% moves don't hit *that* hard, and moves that hit that hard do more than 18%. the reward should be substantial for landing it all the time, not just when it kills.

Just had some good online games (oxymoron?) with Sphinx, everything seemed okay. (Except that Ness and Lucas are as impossible to use in lag as ever, ha!)

Link's new recovery is good, but I don't like the fact that you have to use the hookshot immediately after the upb ends. I think that makes it too predictable. It would be better if the hookshot could be used at any time after the spin attack ends.
Double post to say this might be easy to do. I'll consider it.

I'm glad you like Jigglypuff's d-throw, I spent a decent amount of attention tweaking it. Of course it's no where near as good as someone like R.O.B.'s d-throw, but it has a role now. I like it against Peach specifically.

I want a lot more feedback on the Zelda change, since it's new. I spent the better part of the last 24 hours working on that stupid thing...

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
*gives you a cookie*

This is the first time recently I let a Kirby power get by, I am ashamed...

Edit: Got Kirby coded up, tweaked Zelda d-tilt some to be less likely to combo into itself, and looked at DK.

Big O, are you sure the jab change wasn't ported right? I dug up the old numbers and the current ones hae indeed been changed to match them. It's registering as a true combo on various characters for me in training mode, and I can't powershield out of it. It looks like it would need significant improvements to get a better frame advantage, and that much knockback is likely to make the attack sometimes not combo. (Especially with DI.)

I did fix the aerial side-b sourspot though--that change slipped through.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
*gives you a cookie*

This is the first time recently I let a Kirby power get by, I am ashamed...

Edit: Got Kirby coded up, tweaked Zelda d-tilt some to be less likely to combo into itself, and looked at DK.

Big O, are you sure the jab change wasn't ported right? I dug up the old numbers and the current ones hae indeed been changed to match them. It's registering as a true combo on various characters for me in training mode, and I can't powershield out of it. It looks like it would need significant improvements to get a better frame advantage, and that much knockback is likely to make the attack sometimes not combo. (Especially with DI.)

I did fix the aerial side-b sourspot though--that change slipped through.
Well what I meant was that you guys accidently changed the knockback on both hitboxes of the jab. The outer hitbox didn't need to be changed and the change makes it worse. The inner hitbox could use some more knockback so that you don't have to hold A or risk getting jab 2 powershielded. The way it is now it combos, but giving it more knockback to get more frame advantage is better even though on some characters it won't combo as often at slightly closer than tipper jab range. The knockback of the old inner jab at about 50-55% is probably the best. I almost always hitconfirm (if they block I usually don't jab 2) the jab 1 before commiting to jab 2 and doing so is a lot less reliable right now.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Alright, I'll give it another look.

Also, the following characters are in this game:

Mario
Luigi
Peach
Bowser
Donkey Kong
Diddy Kong
Yoshi
Wario
Link
Zelda
Sheik
Zelda+Sheik
Ganondorf
Toon Link
Samus
Zero Suit Samus
Pit
Ice Climbers
R.O.B.
Kirby
Meta Knight
King Dedede
Olimar
Fox
Falco
Wolf
Captain Falcon
Pikachu
Pokemon Trainer
Lucario
Jigglypuff
Marth
Ike
Ness
Lucas
Mr. Game & Watch
Snake
Sonic

You know what would be awesome? TIER LISTS!

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Here are my quick impressions.

Ike- New Nair is awesome and Full hop Nair to Fair looks so natural. It should have always been like this.

Wolf- I feel like the up b canceling was less useful/overpowered than side b canceling. Personally I'd get rid of side b canceling and add in up b canceling back in (maybe w/o the super jump).

Fox- I'm still iffy on side b canceling.

Peach- The window for canceling the peach bomber still seems huge.

Zelda- I think Naryu's love movement is too weird. It just has too much movement. Maybe 1/2 or 2/3's the movement would be less jarring. An odd choice for a phsyics change.

Ivy- The new Dair is really nice but it seems like a pretty huge physics change. The spacing dynamics of the move really takes a while to get used to.

CF- Great job on making it more natural.

Sonic- The movement is pretty minmal but the optional slow fall is a nice touch.

Link- Up b to hookshot could use a bigger timing window.

Unblockable counters is an awesome idea btw.

Linkshot

Smash Hero
From my impressions while talking with you, Thinkaman...

Sheik: Rapid Jab cancel is just far too good. Even the AI can abuse it perfectly.
Zelda: Now has the absolute best Reflect in the game since she can chase the projectile afterward.
Lucario: This really helps the D3 and Falco matchup. Thanks!

Back to Chrono Trigger!

...after this one last thing.

Being a Wolf fanatic
*shakes fist at those who think Krystal should've been there instead*
I would love Wolf's bonus to be bounce cancelling. Just make the cancel start when he has no momentum. This really helps him score the kill while staying in-character.

Big O

NNID
BiiigOOO
Yeah I second that Sheik's rapid jab canceling is OP. She has like no reason to do anything up close but jab since it beats almost every option and can be canceled into grabs, Ftilt, or Dsmash for the kill. It may not "combo" at early %'s into Dsmash or even Ftilt but the forced landing pretty much makes it inescapeable unless you can dolphin slash or something. Even that can be punished heavily by just shielding after hitting with the jab combo. I think it should just be given earlier IASA than the regular Brawl version (maybe half the old lag) or scrapped for something else. If her jab canceling really needs to be more threatening, you could also look into jab1 and jab2 alterations instead of her rapid jabs.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I tweaked DK, found the issue you mentioned on the outer hitbox. I think I bought him an extra frame or two, it's still not much.

I toned Zelda's buff down a tiny bit, might be 75% of what it was. Like most changes I did it in increments, and at one point it just "clicked" and felt less jarring.

I also tweaked Zelda's d-tilt to have a consistant 4f advantage--it cannot be chained. (by 1 frame)

For Shiek, I tried removing the cancel on jab3 and makign the cooldown on jab1 and 2 (for non jab followups) half the original values. Looks promising.

Mit

Smash Ace
I tweaked DK, found the issue you mentioned on the outer hitbox. I think I bought him an extra frame or two, it's still not much.

I toned Zelda's buff down a tiny bit, might be 75% of what it was. Like most changes I did it in increments, and at one point it just "clicked" and felt less jarring.

I also tweaked Zelda's d-tilt to have a consistant 4f advantage--it cannot be chained. (by 1 frame)

For Shiek, I tried removing the cancel on jab3 and makign the cooldown on jab1 and 2 (for non jab followups) half the original values. Looks promising.
When do we get to have updated builds like these? :O

Are you updating the download link on a consistent basis, or are all of these changes you've been making on this page for the next release candidate?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Those changes I just made were strictly on my end, but since it's late and activity is low, I went ahead and uploaded a fell set that includes them. I updated the download link in the previous post on this page, or you can just click here to download.

This .zip file is named "rc2". Again, all that was changed was a minor tweak to DK's jab hitboxes, a slight lessening of the new Nayru's Love effect, and a new more conservative version of Sheik's jab canceling.

Edit: Oh yeah, and Kirby's version of the Zelda buff.

Lokee

Smash Apprentice
I would like to have the Standard Balanced Brawl version without the item bug. Is that possible? Do you happen to know which code causes item bugs?
Actually with the new systems in place on the beta and test verisons its all fixed. I think the cause of the glitches where the frame speed modifier codes but the new system uses PACs so its all good. A little more to download but its worth it considering the benefits like transformation time speeds and the rest

Fuujin

Smash Champion
I'll also try giving my feedback for Zelda one more time, though likely to go disregarded.
There's no time better than now to ask about this than now.
All the stuff you gave her is neat and all but she doesn't really need most of it.
She has D tilt that knocks the enemy above her and now the reappearing hitbox on Farore's wind..
Basically shes a once trick pony now, all the can do is knock opponents above her and U smash or U tilt and (U air now)
The whole freezing affect is nice and being able to cancel it with a jump is helpful.
But the Ice effect along with the flower on jab(which is too small to do more than 1 damage before the enemy shakes it off) aren't really necessary.
A MAJOR buff she could use is making Din's fire a non horrible projectile.
Yes I know she can fill GnW's bucket and heal Ness/Lucas in doubles but those sound like poor excuses just not to give her a buff she really could use.
About the whole low level play thing, if were really trying to balance it out for noobs(aka low level players)
Then get rid of Falco's Blaster and GnW's turtle while you're at it.
With a decent projectile Zelda could actually force an approach and use her defensive options (F smash, old Nayru's Love, D smash) to keep the enemy away.
Sure she would be a campy character and people would complain about it but considering the fact that shes one of the slowest easiest characters to kill it would balance her out.
Look at Pit and Falco, both can camp well and both have a better up close game and MUCH better chance of recovering safely than Zelda does,
Just saying a speed up on dins fire is a lot less radical than giving Jigglypuff items or significantly boosting someones recovery.

Speaking of her horrible recovery Brawl- seems to have fixed here(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr5bDX4Cjxc#t=0m15s) and this model of Zelda wasn't even complete. She doesn't even have to fly upwards out of it just being able to move in a direction after using it would help.
She's clearly much worse than wolf and he got his recovery literally doubled <_<.
That would REALLY help in the several match ups.
Not even that, sure its has lots of lag and characters like Jigglypuff have plenty of time to hit her but that's not the main problem.
If someone knows the Zelda match up well they can predict where shes gonna land and punish it, the ending lag is so horrendous Falcon can hop on the edge to make sure she cant sweet spot then jump up and reverse falcon punch it because she cant move for like 3 seconds after using it.

Shield damage wouldn't help Din's.
About 80% of the cast has an aerial that cancels it out on impact.
The new Nayru's Love change gives Zelda an approach but it doesn't really fit her play style.
I'm not sure why you keep changing Nayru's Love, sure it may be one of less reliable reflectors in the game but out of all of her specials it's the least horrible. She's also going to have to over rely on it as her only decent move that now triples as her recovery and approach.
You seem to be avoiding Din's Fire as if it were the plague for some reason.
Giving a character as horrible as her a nice projectile wouldn't be polarizing.

Sheik while much better still needs something if her jab canceling is going to be removed.
Note that many of her advantageous match ups were based pretty much on the ability to tilt lock them to rack up damage.
Unlike Falco's chain grab she actually needed it to win some match ups or go around even with them(Fox, Falco, Wolf, DK and others) while many characters that she can't tilt lock in vbrawl are bad match ups for her(Snake, Marth, Peach, Luigi).

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
@Fuujin:
Do you remember that Z/S are supposed to be played as a team, right?

I think Sheik's jab should cancel into shield only (would only allows jump/grab), that wouldn't make her that outstanding.

As for Zelda, is ok to avoid changing DF, since is the "easiest option" to change, and do it may could change a lot the matchups. Still, she needs something to be at a "everybody else's level" =/

@Renegade:
LOL
that would actually be very fun

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I would like to have the Standard Balanced Brawl version without the item bug. Is that possible? Do you happen to know which code causes item bugs?
I dunno what you are talking about specifically, but most bugs were caused by frame speed modification.

The new Nayru's Love change gives Zelda an approach but it doesn't really fit her play style.
I'm not sure why you keep changing Nayru's Love, sure it may be one of less reliable reflectors in the game but out of all of her specials it's the least horrible. She's also going to have to over rely on it as her only decent move that now triples as her recovery and approach.
You seem to be avoiding Din's Fire as if it were the plague for some reason.
Giving a character as horrible as her a nice projectile wouldn't be polarizing.
The key is the Din's Fire is ultimately a defensive projectile--it can never be used to help an approach. (Unless we allowed like a 0f interrupt to grab that you could do on landing or something extreme.) It's like PK Thunder, but worse.

If you make it stronger, it's still a bad move--just more polarizing.
If you lower the cooldown, it's still a bad move--just more spammable/annoying and adding incentive for Zelda to play defensive. (like always)
If you make it unblockable, it's still a bad move--just an unblockable bad move that confuses new players.

Din's Fire is like Egg Toss: Buffing it is intrinsically going to make the character more defensive, and since both characters are already highly defensive, it's of no real help to bad matchups.

Sheik while much better still needs something if her jab canceling is going to be removed.
Note that many of her advantageous match ups were based pretty much on the ability to tilt lock them to rack up damage.
Unlike Falco's chain grab she actually needed it to win some match ups or go around even with them(Fox, Falco, Wolf, DK and others) while many characters that she can't tilt lock in vbrawl are bad match ups for her(Snake, Marth, Peach, Luigi).
I think you guys will be pretty happy with the altered Sheik behavior. It's a lot nicer/cleaner while still being decently powerful.

@Fuujin:

I think Sheik's jab should cancel into shield only (would only allows jump/grab), that wouldn't make her that outstanding.

As for Zelda, is ok to avoid changing DF, since is the "easiest option" to change, and do it may could change a lot the matchups. Still, she needs something to be at a "everybody else's level" =/
Sheik+Zelda is one of the most powerful characters in BBrawl imo. Alone they are quite competitive, but they excel together.

I currently have Sheik's cancels at a frame location that I THINK gives her a 3f advantage. This means they can powershield most non-jab followups, but shielding is always a guaranteed grab for Sheik. It feels powerful, but bound.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Din's Fire is not practical to change for a lot of reasons. I shall list them briefly.

-The move already kinda destroys bad players. I mean, let me put it this way. If I were to pick the best 3 moves in the game (standard Brawl) to destroy bad players, the rankings would go about like this...

1. Meta Knight Mach Tornado
2. Mr. Game & Watch turtle
3. Zelda Din's Fire

It's that effective against them; all three of these moves are loathed by low level players because they're ridiculous brick walls against them. Mach Tornado and turtle are actually just plain really good and nerfed for other reasons (turtle less than Mach Tornado of course). Din's Fire obviously loses some utility against better players, but buffing it would be somewhat irresponsible here.

2. Din's Fire is really good in teams. It's true; it creates tons of frame traps when used correctly in synchronization with a teammate, and it can charge G&W bucket or heal Ness or Lucas pretty efficiently.

3. The move is fairly rigid mechanically. This makes reasonable buffs of the move pretty hard to do. I mean, what can you really responsibly buff here? When it actually hits, the move already is one of the most damaging projectiles in the game and one of the few that can kill. Making the move transcendent priority would prevent clashing, but it also has a very large possibility of just making the move dumb for some characters to fight against. Speeding up the re-appearance to make it very hard to airdodge is kinda the same way; remember that we have all these characters who have to fight against Zelda; it's not just about her. Remember that we have very slow characters such as Ganondorf in this game. It's not that way right now, but I can easily imagine a game in which Ganondorf or Bowser or whoever have very few viable options to escape Din's Fire juggles and have 80-20 matchups against Zelda. I can also imagine a buffed Din's Fire would be of almost no help against high mobility characters like Sonic who, as far as I can tell, already do pretty well against Zelda.

Please, if you want to argue here, don't post some inane refutation like "we don't care about low level players!" and nothing else because it's how all of this comes together that makes buffing Din's Fire a bad idea; just answering one point you don't like is not an argument. I don't think there is a reasonable argument against all of this, and further I suspect it's for more emotional reasons a lot of people want to see a better Din's Fire. I mean, the move at first feels just amazing. Then you try to use it in 1v1 matches against good players and discover it's hard to get a lot out of it (though it's definitely far from useless). It makes sense why you want the move to be as good as it seems at first, but it's just not a good design direction.

As per Farore's Wind, it also seems better at first than it really is, but the move is about as good as it can be without really reworking it. You may notice that Balanced Brawl makes the actual hits of this thing pretty awesome, and the fairly mediocre movement pattern would really need total reworking to be significantly better. Zelda's recovery isn't the greatest I guess, but it's not horrible either because that Meta Knight cannot magically teleport to your location off-stage and insta-gimp you (same reason Ness's recovery isn't horrible; it takes time to get to you to gimp you even if your up special doesn't protect you at all once they actually get there). It's just not a good design direction.

Zelda's down special is transform to Sheik, a great move. I'm not sure buffing it further is reasonable.

So, among Zelda's specials, Nayru's Love is the viable option, it was always a fairly poor special, and it generally is the logical point of attack on Zelda's moveset. I would remind people of how Zelda works and is already changed actually. All of her smashes have been buffed to maximum reasonable utility (which is a lot!). Jab and ftilt received a good chunk of work, and these builds also show a honed, refined dtilt. Utilt was already pretty great. Her aerials are mostly not very reasonable moves to buff because they mostly have the gimmick of "hits over a ridiculously small area but hits really hard", but we did buff the one not like that (nair) a bit for whatever it's worth. I would point out the suggestion of "make dair able to sweetspot grounded opponents" is something we have tested internally, and it is a very, very bad idea. Zelda's dair becomes basically a better version of Ganon's dair against grounded opponents; it combos into itself very well which would make Zelda's entire game "chain dairs against grounded opponents" and would make Zelda the best character in the game (it would be about like some of the builds that thankfully never escaped internal where Ganon's dtilt was an infinite combo into itself). Zelda's throws are basically guaranteed to never be that important due to her awful grab (I would rate Zelda's set of 3 grabs second worst in the game, only better than Zero Suit Samus's, and one of the only two so bad that grabbing in general loses viability as a tactic), but her back throw is buffed into a pretty viable kill throw regardless. So that leaves Zelda's "always going to suck" dash attack and Nayru's Love. Nayru's Love is the really sensible point here!

That list may also remind people that Zelda is already substantially buffed in Balanced Brawl, and I honestly simply do not believe she was ever as bad as a winner like Ganondorf in the first place. I also don't think her balance is fairly considered in a typical way due to her relationship with Sheik; she is a somewhat incomplete character by virtue of her design so if you stubbornly insist on never using that down special when you play as Zelda, you just have to expect sometimes things are going to be harder than with most characters. There is just no way around this, and the same thing applies to Sheik (though probably to a lesser extent since her only major game problem is that she has the worst set of KO moves in the game).

On the note of Sheik, I'm going to take a more careful look at her jab business and what is possible to do with it.

Fuujin

Smash Champion
@Fuujin:
Then why are they seperate on the tier list?
I understand this project wants but honestly all Zelda is to Sheik is a nice kill move. I wouldn't really call that team work it's just use Sheik 90% of the match then kill with Zelda and switch back.
People should also have a choice of which, if not both, they wish to use.
Din's Fire is like Egg Toss: Buffing it is intrinsically going to make the character more defensive, and since both characters are already highly defensive, it's of no real help to bad matchups.
But that's the thing, she needs to play defensively, she has pretty much no approach prior to the new Nayru's buff.
Against good players of any character (other than IC's and ironically Ness and Lucas.), she has very limited options with Din's Fire.
Basically it serves as a tool to possibly harass the opponent off stage and deal about 13 damage with one hit.

Against characters with enough speed they can zip past it and punish her due to the ending lag so it's no use on Sonic and with Fox you're practically asking to eat a U smash.
Any character not fast enough to get past it just has to Shield/Airdodge/Use an aerial to cancel it out, and yes this includes Ganondorf, it's practically useless on him too.
Then there are the characters who simply outcamp her.

I understand why you may not want to make Yoshi more defensive but it's Zelda were talking, Lightweight, Bigger than Yoshi, slower than Yoshi and much worse recovery than Yoshi.
A character built like this with that many problems deserves a nice projectile.

Din's fire is nothing like egg toss, egg toss is a really nice projectile, if din's fire was half as good as egg toss it would be fine.

2. Din's Fire is really good in teams. It's true; it creates tons of frame traps when used correctly in synchronization with a teammate, and it can charge G&W bucket or heal Ness or Lucas pretty efficiently.
It's not that amazing in doubles, maybe when teamed up with other projectiles but if the opponent knows to cancel it out with an aerial it shouldn't be that much of a threat.
Also keep in mind how Zelda is left open the entire time she's using it so it leave the opponent with an opportunity to attack her, and Zelda being light weight doesn't need excess damage.

3. The move is fairly rigid mechanically. This makes reasonable buffs of the move pretty hard to do. I mean, what can you really responsibly buff here? When it actually hits, the move already is one of the most damaging projectiles in the game and one of the few that can kill. Making the move transcendent priority would prevent clashing, but it also has a very large possibility of just making the move dumb for some characters to fight against. Speeding up the re-appearance to make it very hard to airdodge is kinda the same way; remember that we have all these characters who have to fight against Zelda; it's not just about her. Remember that we have very slow characters such as Ganondorf in this game. It's not that way right now, but I can easily imagine a game in which Ganondorf or Bowser or whoever have very few viable options to escape Din's Fire juggles and have 80-20 matchups against Zelda. I can also imagine a buffed Din's Fire would be of almost no help against high mobility characters like Sonic who, as far as I can tell, already do pretty well against Zelda.
As the people who worked with Ganondorf I'd assume you should know if you can't hit with the move the damage and knockback don't matter much.
Like you said WHEN it actually hits, that's a very big "when" as it hardly ever happens on a good opponent.

I can tell you're looking at it the same way the creators of brawl did, on paper Din's Fire looks great but in reality it's bad. While it kills when it's fully charged, the tremendous lag it takes for it to get fully charged makes it so that won't be killing a good opponent who can airdodge. In fact the only landable (dunno if that's even a word) Din's is when its hardly charged, your opponent has plenty of time to see it coming if you attempt land a fully charged fireball.

I have no idea where you're getting your match up data from, Zelda has no where near 20-80 match ups on anyone, she has 60-40 on Bowser and 65-35 on Ganondorf. Sonic is near even with Zelda at worst 60-40 but she has much slower much worse match ups.

A speed up would be fine, as long not so fast that it can constantly juggle opponents without them having a chance to use an aerial to cancel it out.

Then you try to use it in 1v1 matches against good players and discover it's hard to get a lot out of it (though it's definitely far from useless). It makes sense why you want the move to be as good as it seems at first, but it's just not a good design direction.
It really is useless on Peach, GnW, Yoshi, Luigi and basically any character floaty enough to use an aerial to cancel it without descending too far offstage.
I honestly think a speedup would help, as i mentioned several times before it would force the opponent to approach.
It's a very simple solution rather than tinkering with one of her few decent moves and adding things like flowers to her jab.
As per Farore's Wind, it also seems better at first than it really is, but the move is about as good as it can be without really reworking it. You may notice that Balanced Brawl makes the actual hits of this thing pretty awesome, and the fairly mediocre movement pattern would really need total reworking to be significantly better. Zelda's recovery isn't the greatest I guess, but it's not horrible either because that Meta Knight cannot magically teleport to your location off-stage and insta-gimp you (same reason Ness's recovery isn't horrible; it takes time to get to you to gimp you even if your up special doesn't protect you at all once they actually get there). It's just not a good design direction.

Metaknight along with a few characters can actually get to her that can reach her fast enough to hit her before the teleport begins.
All he has to do is come out with his multiple jumps spamming D air or F air.
Yes the start up lag for that move really is that slow.

Chasing her off stage isn't even necessary, when shes far away enough just hop on the edge forcing her to teleport on stage then hop on and punish, repeat that a few times for some damage.

I'm just unsure if you know how bad she is, you're giving her a lot more credit than she deserves.

You guys have seen a match up chart for her right?

It's incomplete and possibly outdated but what was done of it is pretty accurate.

Though I supposed if you plan on keeping her as Sheik's kill move then she's fine the way she is.

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Uh, I didn't say she had 80-20 matchups now. I said she would have them pretty fast if Din's Fire became really good. Slow characters can only handle Din's Fire because it's fairly easy to evade. If it weren't, what would they do? Also remember guys like Sonic are really buffed and the matchups are different now; I really don't think you understood much of what I was saying. Like when I mentioned the hitbox data, I mean making it hit harder is not a useful direction. Making a move hit harder is one way to buff a move. For Din's Fire, it isn't a good way to buff it. This is kinda the theme of that post; you didn't respond to what I said but to something that is vaguely similar to what I said when you ignore certain key words or interpret statements backwards. I can't really respond to your post because you didn't really respond to precisely what I was saying...

I can respond to the teams comment though. The key words were frame trap. So, Zelda is using Din's Fire and is about to hit the enemy. They have two fundamental choices. They can avoid it somehow (airdodge, smack it out of the air). Alternatively, they can allow themselves to be hit. If they do the second, Zelda wins. If they do the first, they are committed for an extended period. At this point, Zelda's teammate punishes their commitment. For instance, Zelda throws Din's Fire at enemy Donkey Kong. DK airdodges the Din's Fire. Zelda's teammate Mr. Game & Watch punishes the ending of DK's airdodge with fishbowl. DK had absolutely zero options to avoid that; his only choice was which character to be hit by. This comes up a lot Din's Fire is so good in teams if you work together properly. Zelda sits back while her ally takes the frontlines, and she does this a lot. If she gets under pressure, she just throws out usmashes and such while her ally saves her. Zelda is so good in teams period really.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I'm kinda confused by what your argument is--you said it yourself, Din's Fire is useless against many characters, including most of her worst matchups like G&W. It could be twice as fast and twice as powerful and it would still be terrible against those characters. (And ruin a bunch of others...)

You nailed that Zelda is a defensive character and that is the source of her issues. However, in that case why do you want--by your own admission--to make her more defensive?

It's simply impossible to make a Din's fire buff that is going to help Zelda's fundamental approach problems against G&W, Snake, Olimar, and similar characters. The framework of the move just can't do it.

Eldiran

Smash Lord
Well! I finally got a chance to play BBrawl for real with real people for an extended period of time! I have some new feelings on the changes; basically I just have some more gut reactions to throw out. This is essentially the quick evaluations of someone at low- to mid-level play.

Captain Falcon, unsurprisingly, stands out the most in all the changes -- I really like the aerial-to-ground Falcon Kick. It feels pretty refined for the most part. The whole deal gives Falcon an enormous mobility boost that might possibly be a tad overkill. Either way, it's awesome. At the same time, it's very, very gamechanging, so I simultaneously love it and dislike it.

I personally think the setup would be best if you could cancel Falcon Kick only once. For example, instead of being able to do Air Falcon Kick -> Ground Falcon Kick -> Falcon Dive, you could only do Air Falcon Kick -> Ground Falcon Kick OR Ground Falcon Kick -> Falcon Dive.

As for Heavy Armor on Falcon Punch, it is also excellent. It gives Falcon Punch tremendous utility. (Compared to it's original iteration, at least.) I think I would prefer it to have less Heavy Armor, though -- it'd be nice if most smashes could stop the move, so it isn't thrown out too lightly. (In our low-level matches, it was used rather frequently, and often to great effect.)

---

...I'd say that other than those two suggestions, I pretty much enjoyed every change made. The characters all are starting to shine as having lots of potential. Of course, there is the lurking feeling that BBrawl is straying quite far from vBrawl... and the huge amounts of super armor floating around sometimes makes certain battles feel like battles of attrition.

But overall, the changes are welcome and enjoyable. Particularly unblockable counters were well liked. Good work, guys!

---

Various minor comments:
- Dedede's hammer momentum would feel a little better if it weren't so much on an uncharged swing.
- Did you guys change Ganon's Dtilt to hit normally against aerial opponents? If so, I approve.
- Double jump canceling out of the spacies' side+B still feels kind of awkward conceptually.

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Thanks for the feedback. Ganon d-tilt is unchanged, but that could possibly be implemented thansk to the tools in PSA. It's an extremely good idea!

For experiments sake, I made a version of Zelda with 3x faster Din's Fire and zero cooldown. It's so glitchy looking and overdone, except that it is indeed still useless! That's right, this Zelda can spam Din's Fire every 22 frames, so fast that she doesn't even lose vertical height in the air, and it's STILL of no help to approaching or forcing an approach. The CPUs are even still able to hit me, although they do seem to like rolling into the spam a lot...

Out of curiosity, what does everyone think of Jigglypuff? Where does she stand?

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
This is merely an opinion without having the chance to use it on anyone but Ike's nair IASA is quite fun to play with. I actually feel like i can use it as an aerial shield

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
so GW's bair tip still does 1% but acts like 2% on shields?

edit: same question regarding marth's fair.

i need to try out jiggs' dthrow before i make any judgment calls on her. if it is what i think it is, then she might be a middle of the pack character now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom