• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Subatomic particles SMASHED in the Large Hadron Collider

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
I do.

I actually read up a good bit on the purpose and possibilities of this amazing piece of technology.

Although some of it was babble to me,I still think it's a very interesting(and expensive)experiment.

I just hope they don't melt the atmosphere or create a black hole haha.

Anyone who hasn't read up on how it works and what it can do really should.

StinkomanFan

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2724-2849-3244
Someone needs to take a sledgehammer to that thing. It's only a matter of time before someone pushes another guy in there and screws everything up.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I could've sworn I heard that guy on that ****ty Disney Channel TV show the suite life on deck talk about this and magnets or something...

Don't ask me what I was doing watching that, I just had nothing better to watch XD

Pikaville

I could've sworn I heard that guy on that ****ty Disney Channel TV show the suite life on deck talk about this and magnets or something...

Don't ask me what I was doing watching that, I just had nothing better to watch XD
Yeah it uses A LOT of magnets......very large ones at that.

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
Woah, looks like an optical illusion.

*Ahem*

I wonder what questions this thing will answer. I used to be quite interested in Astrology as a child, and my interest (at least in Black Holes) has been revived.

Lore

Infinite Gravity
BRoomer
They finally made the particles collide? Nice.

I've been following this since it was first "finished", but I stopped keeping up with it as much after they shut it down for reapairs.

I can't wait to see what they figure out.

Mewter

Smash Master
I wonder what questions this thing will answer. I used to be quite interested in Astrology as a child, and my interest (at least in Black Holes) has been revived.
I predicted you would say this. The stars told me so.

Also guys, watch out, this thing's going to kill us all with its power to create black holes. You'll be gone before you know it!

That would be pretty neat if they find the boson though.

cutter

Smash Champion
Yes.

The chances of a black hole being formed are very, very, very small. The media just blew it up out of proportion when someone said that there was a chance.
Basically. I wasn't worried about a black hole forming at all, considering black holes are usually formed from the gravitational collapse of a star that is many times more massive than the Sun.

EDIT: Doesn't it just sound dangerous?
"Collision"
*Shutter*
It's just the biggest particle accelerator in the world. Particle accelerators are far from being dangerous compared to something built solely for destruction.

Mewter

Smash Master
Guys, this thing has a fourteen percent chance of creating a large black hole every time it smashes hadrons together.

People shouldn't mess with nature like this. Everyone will die because of this weapon.
This could be the first time in history anyone has messed with atoms like this.

Professor :3

Smash Journeyman
you know what would be awesome? guns that make black holes so we could sweep countries.

Dxt XXII

Smash Journeyman
Guys, this thing has a fourteen percent chance of creating a large black hole every time it smashes hadrons together.

People shouldn't mess with nature like this. Everyone will die because of this weapon.
This could be the first time in history anyone has messed with atoms like this.
It's called a nuke?

The amount of energy created is enormous, yes, but it does not, and I repeat, DOES NOT have a 14% chance of creating a large black hole.

Please tell me you are not serious? Anyone who knows the very basics of how black holes form should know this cannot happen. Yes, mini black holes have a small chance of forming, but the theory that predicts them also predicts them popping in and out of existence and having no effect at the macro scale.

The media turned this into something it's not, if it really posed such a danger, then it never would have been built.

/rant

Mewter

Smash Master
No, you're wrong.
I've read tons of books on black holes, and all of them say that black holes are super massive, and have huge gravity wells that could probably destroy the Earth in a split nanosecond.

This thing is capable of making black holes, like you said, so that would probably be really dangerous for us in the extreme. The government really doesn't know or care for us when they decide to make us put up with monstrosities like this which won't have any potential use.

Edit:
Source. Think about it.

Tacel

Smash Lord
Don't they do this in the beginning of Angels and Demons?

Tacel

Smash Lord
When something is going through a black hole, it gets teared apart, layer of atoms by layer of atoms, and sucked in. This is a likely doomsday scenario.
Where's the Hero of Time when you need him?

Pikaville

It is definitly NOT a 14% chance.

It's a 1 in 100000000 chance.

It would NEVER have been turned on if that was the case.

Even if It does kill us all.What does it matter?

Top Bottom