• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Kirby Edgeguard Technique

Cryptic C62

Smash Cadet
Kirby, Jigglypuff, and Fox all have fsmashes that move them forwards. If you use these attacks near the ledge, your forward motion will be stopped but the attack animation continues. The other day I was playing as Kirby and something rather unusual happened: I fsmashed into the ledge and then fell off. My theory on what happened is that Kirby was at the perfect distance away from the ledge so that he was far enough able to complete the entire fsmash animation but close enough so that when he finished, he still had forward momentum and fell off.

I didn't react very quickly at the time, but if this technique could be repeated, it would allow Kirby (and presumably the other characters mentioned above) to pull off two attacks in rapid succession, such as fsmash->nair or fsmash->up+B or fsmash->dair. This kind of thing is already possible with a ledge-cancelled aerial, but I've never seen anyone use it with the fsmash. Any TASers want to try this out?

I don't remember which ledge it was, but I think it might have been the left side of Hyrule due to the downward slope.

House

Smash Journeyman
Fsmashes can't be ledge cancelled on such characters.

With Kirby & Jiggs: you can inmediately fall off the edge after the entire fsmash animation finishes if you buffer shield/left/down/right before the animation ends.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
I've had that happen in both melee and 64. Just yesterday, I played someone online, F-smashed, wanted to down-smash, instead fast-fell daired to my death (I think it happened twice... once was because of the wind, the other I don't think the wind was a cause).

But yeah, if you play Yoshi in melee... if you dash attack to the ledge, pressing forward, down, and (I think) back will make you fall off the ledge. Really annoying since almost any attack makes you suicide. I usually try to d-tilt gimp (constant knockback, making some characters no longer able to recover), and instead, I end up dairing off the stage... :(

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Happens to me all the time with Kirby, Fox, and Jiggs, as well as sometimes with dash-As at the edge. I don't know why it only happens sometimes.

ciaza

Smash Prodigy
Premium
The most annoying thing is when you falcon kick from the ground and go over the edge, but you fall down so far before the enimation finishes that you can't get back up. Rare but pretty bs.

MATTS!

Smash Ace
I play kirby WAY TO MUCH... when you do the forward+a on the edge you can keep doing it without falling off(if you quickly do it over and over without stoping in between the animation), the only reason you fell off is because you moved forward a "little bit....." there is no canceling it. After you do it though, you will be on your "tip toes" with that little kool animation like your about to fall off, and then you can just walk off and do a drill into other combo stuff depending ont he character. Thanks.

The Great MATTS!

Daedatheus

Smash Lord
The most annoying thing is when you falcon kick from the ground and go over the edge, but you fall down so far before the enimation finishes that you can't get back up. Rare but pretty bs.
Yeah if you sweetspot it at the right distance from the edge, rather than flying off straight or stopping at the edge you just slide right off while the recovery animation is playing and always end up dead :p

SuPeRbOoM

Smash Master
you can do this with luigi too. Dash grab toward the edge and hold down/left/right/shield and he'll fall just like those others. I find it useful to do that with a dair sometimes.

dch111

Smash Journeyman
I tested out the dash attacks, and it only works with Link's dash attack.

So, Kirby/Puff fsmashes, Link's dash attack, Luigi's dashgrab. What else? Can't believe I'd never heard about this trick before. Guess it is kind of subtle though.

Blue Yoshi

Smash Master
Yoshi's dash attack in melee ;)

But yeah, anything that gives you more momentum at the end of the attack, then you crouching, walking (either way), shielding... basically anything except do nothing or attack, will make you fall off.

asianaussie

Smash Hero
If you managed to hit them with Link's dash attack at low percent, fall off and immediately D-Air to bounce back up, it would be cool.

Top Bottom