• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Norfolk, VA Brawl Singles/Doubles: presented by the Magician's Alliance SEPT 27

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
Games N' Trade Presents:​
THE MAGICIAN'S ALLIANCE Presents:

BRAWL SINGLES AND TEAMS
Sept 27th

ODU
4404 Monarch Way Norfolk VA, 23508
757-648-8616

SoVA=VaBeach/Norfolk/Hampton/ect.

Tourney Starts at 1pm (doubles then singles, possibly overlapping)
Venue Fee: $5 (Discounts for setups/Firstcome firstserve)
Singles Entry Fee: $10 per person
Doubles Entry Fee: $20 per Team ($10 per person)

RULES

NO ITEMS [not even Smashballs]
Team attack is ON.
Life stealing IS allowed.
Teams Tournament will run first, THEN Singles. Unless we try to run both simultaneously. We'll see.

Double Elimination
3 Stock, 7 Minutes
All Matches are best 2 out of 3, except:
Winners/Losers/Grand Finals which are all best 3 out of 5

iCONTROLS! ---You can use any controller (GameCube, Wiimote, etc) and any control configuration you want. If you have special control settings, you MUST change your control scheme before the match starts. If you're human and happen to forget to add your changed controls to that system, you have about 5 seconds into the match [unless your opponent is nice] to remember to change your controls. You WILL, however, remain that character and return to that stage if this kind of event occurs. Sometimes people forget to take off the previous player's tag...well in Brawl that actually matters since control schemes are attached to tags. Same rules apply for realizing this.

Controllers

1. You are responsible for bringing your own controller.
2. Controller mods of ANY kind (short-hop mod, L-trigger mod, etc), except for cosmetic changes (paint job, different colored plastic), are banned. Tournament staff may randomly inspect any controller at their discretion. If you are caught using a banned controller you will be immediately disqualified from the tournament.
3. Turbo or programmed buttons of any kind are banned. You may use third party controllers or pads that have these features, but if you are suspected of using the banned features you will not be allowed to use that controller any longer.

Any glitches or game-stalling strategies to run out the clock are banned and will result in the loss of that stock. This includes Fox's shine stall far away from the stage repeatedly just to run out the clock. It's different than the one done as a defensive mechanism to throw off your opponent's timing for edgeguarding or things of that nature. I don't know if you can still do the rising-pound stall with Jigglypuff, or Peach's wall-bombing or whatever it was called. I think Pit can also repeatedly upB under the stage from ledge to ledge [if the stage is designed in such a way, and a lot of them are]. Don't be a dlck about the specifics like "oh, well I only did that but so many times"...use some common sense. This includes MK's Cape trick...just don't =)
STANDING DDD GRAB INFINITE IS BANNED.

***NO COACHING. In the middle of a tournament match

Cheering for your crew is great, but if it's not a crew battle (in which case, anything goes ).

IF YOU BREAK THIS RULE, THE MATCH WILL BE FORFEITED.***

Prize payout for each tournament will be 60/30/10

I think that's pretty fair.

STAGES
NEUTRAL STAGES (set to Random):
-Final Destination
-Battlefield
-Smashville
-Yoshi's Island (DS Version)

COUNTERPICK STAGES:
-Lylat Cruise
-Halberd
-Frigate Orpheon
-Pokestadium 1
-Brinstar
-Delfino Plaza
-Castle Seige
-Rainbow Cruise
-Jungle Japes

I reserve the right to change anything and everything about the rules and stages if I see fit. I doubt anything will change, but just know that's how it is.

More info will be added as I get it so keep checking back.

Games N' Trade wants to be the number one smash tourney venue in SoVA...
You should help!

Future Events To Plan On Attending:
October 18-19th
2 Day event (Singles&Doubles day 1/Side Tourneys and Crew Battles Day 2)
Cash + Prizes (360/games/ect)
Housing available
Free food+Drinks​

Venue price will always be cheap, and MA and I have complete control over payouts/rules/dance parties

D0N

Smash Ace
Ill be there for most of them but im not so sure I can make the first one yet. I gotta see how things go as far as work in school in NC. It mostly depends on when I get my first paycheck from my job in NC.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Our boss at Games n trade said that if we get 50 people we can use the COMPLETELY EMPTY STORE WITH OUTLETS EVERYWHERE, A BATHROOM, AND A WATER FOUNTAIN, AND IT iS COMPLETELY EMPTY. we can easily fit mad people in there.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
So here is the dealio. Venue will be $5. Singles will be $10 per person, Doubles will be $10 per team, and SC4 will be $10 per person. This info will be posted in the original info post. Any questons or objections?

SlashTalon

Smash Ace
As SoVAists I would think we would want a laaaaaaaaaarge turn out so we can show our strength.

Be sure to try and get as many people possible to come, even thopse mildly interested in smash, its gonna be fun.

I'm gonna work on food/drink as well

toasty

Smash Hero
Norfolk/Virginia Beach, VA - IT'S SOVA, BABY! <
oh word? so 5 per person for teams? cool. I think more people who are less serious are more interested in teams, and the fact that it'll be $5 per person for teams will bring even MORE people. Greater chance for people to make money with less risk :)

what's the situation with tables, chairs, etc?

D0N

Smash Ace
You should get someone to post in a SC forum about this too if it hasnt been done already.

Senko Zero

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4940-5527-1789
I'm more then likely down for going to this. Only thing that bugs me it that it's the same day as my Birthday, so I'm a big hesitant on committing yet.

DON, if you're willing and I do end up going, should Team Sword And Ape start the **** fest in teams?

whodat

Smash Apprentice
Yeah hopefully we can get Newport News to come out. Newport News meaning TBFN.

Gum

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I havn't actually posted in a SC forum but I have told every SC player I know so hopefully that will be good. Everyone I talk to on SC forums don't even live around here. If you know people then please by all means share the info.

toasty

Smash Hero
I was thinking about Pokemon Stadium 1 recently. Someone please refresh my memory as to why it can't be considered for neutral? I don't play that stage enough to know much about it other than: the "hole in the wall" right below the edge as well as the Windmill=Wall instead of Platform

Also: more and more tourneys are leaning toward 8 minutes instead of 7. Any thoughts?

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
PS1 is considered a CP for 3 reasons, 1, the ledges, 2, the windmill part... 3, the earth and fire forms having walls that many characters can do infinites on. That is the reason people lean toward CP for PS1.

toasty

Smash Hero
I mean...that doesn't mean it should be restricted to counterpicks...the infinites were still there in Melee and they were even DEADLIER [shine-infinite, doesn't even have to be a waveshine!!!, into upsmash......hope you're good at teching >_>] Other infinites in Melee were similar [jab infinites like G&W in Brawl and Sheik's in Melee, though I don't know if you can DI up to get out of those eventually.
That's probably why I forgot about the walls, since I was mostly thinking of what makes PS1 different in Brawl from the Melee version.

Ukiyasan

Smash Apprentice
Well Toasty, have you looked at the discussion that the SBR put up about tourney legality for stages and the rule set they made. You might wanna, some interesting things are up in it.

D0N

Smash Ace
I'm more then likely down for going to this. Only thing that bugs me it that it's the same day as my Birthday, so I'm a big hesitant on committing yet.

DON, if you're willing and I do end up going, should Team Sword And Ape start the **** fest in teams?
Most definatly. Theres a slim chance i may not go either but i should be there unless i say otherwise.

Wiggles

Smash Cadet
So, I'm guessing the No ***** rule is in full effect?

I haven't been keeping up with the boards and shiz, and I haven't played Brawl in probably over a month.

I'm thinking about getting back into it.

Might come to this thing.

Might bring niave rich friends.

I may be back.

Not that it's a big deal, but, I figured I should say so.

toasty

Smash Hero
since there's a ****load of space and it's at an actual venue and not someone's house, basically you have to only enter at least one tourney...usually people who wanna pay venue and play friendlies are allowed, but there are more than enough tourney goers for the SoVa ***** rule to not be necessary AT THE MOMENT...

and good **** :) welcome back...maybe

Top Bottom