• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Matchup Thread: WHAT TIME IS IT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XtACY

Smash Journeyman
60:40 olimar. thats about right.
grab him throw up; shield, and if he dairs, shield will block, grab again..

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
i got to play against a wario player at OHsnap
he beat me every match we played, but i think he was just better at the game than i am. i'd say its 50-50
warios got that crazy DI and the super armored, fast hitting fsmash
but DK's got so much more range than wario, making it far easier to space against him. and we've got Supah Ahmahs too

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
thats what i thought, and i went in to play futile, then i got wrecked, we have a lot of range, but his bite makes it pointless, he just bites us every time we poke. he even bites through SA, i think warios got the edge.

and this is coming from me, who thinks falco and oli are neutrals and mk's at a disadvantage

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
his bite cant last forever though, and we can hit behind it cant we?

edit: i also think falcos a neutral or even a slight disadvantage, i'm glad i'm not the only one

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
his bite does last a long time though (only if he wants it to)

and it's more reactive, see a punch coming, om nom nom

anyone else think falcos neutral? if we get enough i'll change it

Nokonoko

Smash Apprentice
Wario has that chain grab too, right?

bigfoot said:
also, cbk, you cannot grab his bike, therefore it will never be over
Eh, just a tire will do … :p

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
at least it trades hits. it would suck if it canceled out the damage as well
eventually he wont see an attack coming if you do some mindgames
plus he should be easier to CSS because of his recovery, he can only use the bike to recover once, so you can try to hit him off it with a bair, or spike him of it with a dair
usmash and utilt will be more useful in this matchup, since wario loves the air

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Play an amazing DK and you'll see what I mean and don't let me grab you or it's over.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Since Falcos chain grab can be escaped at lower percentages, id say its about even. Although he does have the annoying lazer and side b, but i still think at best it would be 55-45 in favor of falco.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
For the DK Vs. Wario match, i dont think DK has the advantage. Its either an even match or in favor of Wario.

Popertop

Smash Champion
Cyphus ***** me he's way too good.
But I agree that it's in favor of the Wario, but if the DK knows what he's doing he can severly **** a Wario.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
60:40 or more for Wario IMO, but I am not 100% sure on that. What I REALLY need to do is go play Bigfoot in February and go over that matchup a bit with him. I did not get a chance to play Cyphus at HOBO (I is sad) but I still have the feeling that Wario has the easier time here.

U guys know about grab release to Fsmash right? That's a different alternative to Usmash if you are near the edge perhaps and want a horizontal killer.

gantrain05

Smash Master
hey guys, don't mind if i creep, i'm really planning on making DK a counterpick of mine, after peach/olimar/fox i want to put DK in my number 4 spot, so if i pop out of nowhere and ask a noob question don't laugh lol.

itsthebigfoot

Smash Lord
60:40 or more for Wario IMO, but I am not 100% sure on that. What I REALLY need to do is go play Bigfoot in February and go over that matchup a bit with him. I did not get a chance to play Cyphus at HOBO (I is sad) but I still have the feeling that Wario has the easier time here.

U guys know about grab release to Fsmash right? That's a different alternative to Usmash if you are near the edge perhaps and want a horizontal killer.
Stop putting it off, no "I'm in texas" johns.

btw, they announced B.I.O. 2 on the same date, so if i do it i'll have to reschedule, AGAIN. wtf is the point of advertising early if it just gets scheduled over by bigger tournaments

EDIT: but if it's in tournament, i'm going luigi, no point in having him as a wario cp secondary if i don't cp warios, and it's definitely warios favor 6-4, unless futile is that much better than me (he's better, but the way i lost, i think the matchup has something to do with it)

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Stop putting it off, no "I'm in texas" johns.
Do you accept Age Johns, Time Johns, or the famous NY Johns? lol.

btw, they announced B.I.O. 2 on the same date, so if i do it i'll have to reschedule, AGAIN. wtf is the point of advertising early if it just gets scheduled over by bigger tournaments

EDIT: but if it's in tournament, i'm going luigi, no point in having him as a wario cp secondary if i don't cp warios, and it's definitely warios favor 6-4, unless futile is that much better than me (he's better, but the way i lost, i think the matchup has something to do with it)
Dude that is gay, U worked hard to accomodate people and events keep coming up. I feel ur pain for real.

So, Wario 6-4 over DK, is that agreed on? We still going over it?

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
Honestly guys, wtf? Nobody has stated anything about why the matchup is 6:4 Wario. We should at least discuss the reasons for it being 6:4 before we try to make everyone agree on it.

At a tournament I went to a while back when I wasn't as good as I am now I played one of the best smashers in NC. He played as Wario and he was definitely a lot better than me but it was still a really really close set. He won the first match by 1 stock, I counter picked JJ and won, then he counter picked FD and won by one stock. This was before I knew about the grab release stuff on Wario and I honestly think I would have had a better chance if I would have implemented it. That Wario won first that tournament and I got 5th. The Wario was Lozr if anyone has heard of him.

Personally I don't really see what advantages Wario has in this matchup. Can Someone explain it to me?

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
one of the reasons its slightly more in wario's favor is because its really hard to punish his approach because of his crazy DI

Popertop

Smash Champion
SH double bairs and reverse up tilt almost completely shut down his approach.
this.
but then, I could just air dodge and then shield grab whatever you throw at me from the air.
I dunno actually.

I played Cyphus.
It felt pretty even, more like I had the advantage.
If I was more experienced in the matchup then it would have been closer. There was too much stuff that surprised me and stuff. Whatev.
But besides that it felt like I had advantage.
DK can gimp Wario if Wario is not careful.
Wario can gimp DK if DK is not careful.

Ex: Wario is offstage and uses his bike the wrong time(doesn't have a waft, already used second jump etc.), DK bairs him off and basically gets a free stock.

Ex2: Dk is off stage and is careless (uses jump early) and gets bitten. DK gets out too far down to recover and Wario basically gets a free stock.

Wario's Advantages:
Wario has Dair footstool into a nair lock that ends in an Fsmash, Dsmash or Waft.
He can also do Dair > Dair > Uair (i think, pretty sure it works) for around 30 something
He has the dair bite boost smash that does 35%, they can DI to avoid the boost though.
He can gimp the DK by biting him off stage really low. If the DK breaks out Wario can still recover but DK can't. Very useful if you are a stock ahead.
Wario can super armor DK's approach if the DK gets predictable. (Cyphus's DK is really unpredictable at least to me so I had trouble with this part)
Wario can weave in and out with his approach and not get punished if he is good at spacing.
Or he can just airdodge and wait for the DK to make a mistake and then punish ( a la DMG).
Wario is also, in fact, WAY TOO GOOD.(lol)
I'm not sure who has the priority advantage.
K i think I got most of it. O rnot. Mabye that was just a lot of fail.
lololol;oLOOLOLOloLOLOloLolOL

DK's advantages:
Bair is sexy. It outspaces everything Wario has. It can gimp him off the bike if Wario isn't careful. I'm pretty sure Wario can't bite the Bair too.
DK has those grab combos.

I would rather someone else do DK 'cause I don't know the char very well. :)

Ragnar0k

Smash Master
^Hey at least it's a start.

I've bair'd Wario's Fsmash before and the wario took damage during super armor and didn't take knockback but I didn't even take damage. I've done this a few times in friendlies too. You have to have super tight spacing to do that though.

OmniOstrich

Smash Lord
DK's ground game is way better (not that it matters much)
DK has 2 SA attacks
Wario's recovery is open to spikes, which DK pwns at
Wario can get grab release combo'ed for easy kills (set these up with dtilt trips and you have a fat sexy brawl combo ;) )
DK can camp with tilts
utilt utilt uair bair for ~30% and puts wario offstage
spacing bairs is easy and works well just dont get SA fsmashed

Honestly the matchup reminds me of MK vs Snake. Snake will **** MK up if MK plays ****ty bc he can camp real hard and just use tilts and nades to keep MK out of his face, but really once the Snake misplaces a tilt MK can easily punish him and combo

DK will **** Wario up if Wario plays ****ty bc he can camp real hard and just use tilts and bair to keep Wario out of his face, but really once the DK misplaces a tilt Wario can easily punish him and combo.

Popertop

Smash Champion
DK's ground game is way better (not that it matters much)
DK has 2 SA attacks
Wario's recovery is open to spikes, which DK pwns at
True about the spikes but I recover to the side and that can get gimped by Bair which was one of the things I got punished for in my matches with Cyphus.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
I think Popertop explained it very well, as to why Wario has the slight advantage over DK.

Donkey Bong

Smash Ace
what we can say is that it will be a fun match, since neither side has to deal with spammy projectiles, can i get an amen?

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Amen *Sun shines on DK*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom