• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The SBR official stance on Metaknight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Overclassed

Smash Journeyman
This is the kind of strong, midde-of-the-road followship we need from the community leaders.

I'm glad they've waited this long and let the community tear itself to pieces four times to inform us that they don't care enough one way or the other, and that really it's the TOs job to choose.

Well done, gentlemen.

'V'

Smash Lord
This is the kind of strong, midde-of-the-road followship we need from the community leaders.

I'm glad they've waited this long and let the community tear itself to pieces four times to inform us that they don't care enough one way or the other, and that really it's the TOs job to choose.

Well done, gentlemen.
More than that if you want to count Planking and the Dedede chain grabs.

'V'

Smash Lord
The bias in the SBR is hilarious. Brawl will be dead by next year XD
As much as I actually hope that'll happen, it's pretty unrealistic unless a lot of people hate Meta Knight SO much that they're willing to just quit right then and there. (And I'm not completely doubting that either.)

Too many people like to play this game too much for it to actually die.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
As much as I actually hope that'll happen, it's pretty unrealistic unless a lot of people hate Meta Knight SO much that they're willing to just quit right then and there.

Too many people like to play this game too much for it to actually die.
No matter how bad the MK infestation goes, I'm not stopping my game. Unless literally the whole community dies in PR, I'll just shrug it off and keep playing to win. I'll just end up playing against 1 character more than others, nothing bad here.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
I don't understand the SBR hate. I mean, I think that with a community this young (age wise), leaving things for the community to decide wouldn't be too good. Let's face it, even though most pros are in the 18-26 range, most of the community is more like 13-18. Having a central body voting on what is best for the community has worked for us in the past, I don't understand why we don't think it will work now. We don't need MK to be banned, we just need TOs willing to try MK banned events. Now I don't mean completely banning him in all tournies, I mean just giving it a try.

I also agree with the idea that the SBR should have representation of characters and regions for the most part. Not equal, but more like the House of Representatives, where the states with the most people have more votes. I mean, only having two Snakes or MKs in the backroom with 2 Marios doesn't make much sense, seeing as Mario isn't as important in the tourney scene or as big in the metagame. I would also like to see the representation of mains in the SBR, just because all this talk has gotten me curious.

phi1ny3

Not the Mama
Sometimes as much as I respect the Melee community (especially when I lurked way back when on the marth/M2 boards), I can't get past the bias/contradictory things they say, like how many people who'll actually play Brawl as well say "MK is fun because he can stop gay campiness and play more offensively", I turn around and say "gee, that's swell!", only to find a bunch that have said the exact same thing play the gayest, campiest MKs.
Do they bring up good points? Yes they do. Are they willing to steer clear of bias/bland arguments? Not always.
The same can be applied for Brawl fanboys, but I've hardly heard of Brawl people actively go "search+destroy" on Melee boards.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend

Well done, gentlemen.
So, what do you expect us to do if half of the community wants a ban and the other half doesn't?

Also, please read the past few sites, we're not leadership. It's always been the TO's job to choose which rules they want to use. Our rulesets are recommandations, nothing else.

Browny

Smash Hater
Weigh the validity of each sides arguments?

anti-ban appears quite weak compared to pro-ban. especially when you consider that this is smash bros, not street fighter: nintendo edition

Kinzer

Mammy
NNID
Kinzer
3DS FC
2251-6533-0581
LOL!

Ultimately it is only up to the TOs, the false SBR just gives out recommendations.

I thought we all knew this already.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
anti-ban appears quite weak compared to pro-ban. especially when you consider that this is smash bros, not street fighter: nintendo edition
If you mean the essays that have been posted in the OP of the poll, then know this:
The SBR leadership has set a limit onto the arguments and their length, which the Pro-Ban side has broken. The Anti-Ban side kept inside of these borders, thus their writeup is shorter.

etecoon

Smash Hero
How is pro-ban stronger? Their documents had so many exaggerations and half truths, yeah they make a more appealing emotional argument but it doesn't pass the fact check. Seems like that's been the trend for a while, as far back as when the SBR did a podcast on this, anti-ban was marked by some really boring statistical data that showed that MK's dominance is not unusual for a fighting games best character, while pro-bans argument was punctuated by emotional but ultimately meaningless stories like "I met this mario player at a tournament but he played MK against me, I wanted to play his mario and asked why he played MK and he said "well because you have to", and he was right, his meta knight did much better than his mario". Too bad we have meta knight around or mario would be a real force. most people would rather be told stories that evoke such a response than statistics though I guess.

Browny

Smash Hater
like I said, pro-ban actually had more relevant information.

who cares about MK compared to SF, or any other fighting game. Its like making a change on a certain rule in a sport (lets say basketball) because the netball world changed a rule. the similarities between brawl as a competitive fighting game and any other game are just as limited. outside of having the same idea of damaging your opponent with attacks, thats about where the similarities end. smash is unique because of the massive effect counterpicking stages etc brings into it. Unless one of those other fighting games had a character who could simply choose a stage which would alter all matchups further in their favour, then you might be able to start comparing the two.

I just found all the anecdotal evidence of comparing smash to other, LEGITIMATE fighting games, not convincing at all.

etecoon

Smash Hero
smash is a different game, but comparisons to other characters dominance in their respective games is more of a cultural comparison than a game comparison, it says nothing about in game attributes, only "if 25% dominance has never been a problem before why does this community have a problem with it?".

since you brought up stage selection I should note that I think several banned stages should be reconsidered, I think the current stage list exacerbates the "MK problem" by a lot because typically he can ban FD, japes, or halberd or whatever he doesn't like in that matchup and not have to deal with another bad stage. I think green greens, onett, and pirate ship should at least be considered/experimented with in some places. yeah they're kind of gay but if you can allow norfair, japes, and rainbow cruise I don't see why those are any worse.

etecoon

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bRiPDcgWIo

edit: I'd emphasize the words "reconsider" and "experiment", I'm not saying any banned stage should necessarily be legal, but that I think in some cases they were banned without really having adequate thought or data on it, and it does pertain to meta knight's dominance as only a few characters like snake or falco have more than one real CP on him(snake is arguable too, halberd is IMO the only stage where he isn't disadvantaged against MK)

Revanchist

Smash Rookie
People are really starting to hate the SBR now. I'm rather shocked at this.
You're shocked? That the community is beginning to resent the group of elitists who spent the last week picking apart people's posts and saying "Oh look, this one has less than 30 posts, lets get out my noob goggles and see what its trying to say."

Peons, scrubs, whiney ****s who need to just quit life...

Yeah, I really wonder why so much of the community believes SBR is corrupt and just wants to get their money by keeping MK in. It is unfortunate that this debate has gone beyond MK and into the legitimacy of the top brass, but they could show a little more concern for the mid and lower levels.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
revanchist those are all ad hominems

i know not all the sbr members are the smartest, but for the most part they are chosen cuz they know a lot about the game

Jim Morrison

Smash Authority
You're shocked? That the community is beginning to resent the group of elitists who spent the last week picking apart people's posts and saying "Oh look, this one has less than 30 posts, lets get out my noob goggles and see what its trying to say."

Peons, scrubs, whiney ****s who need to just quit life...

Yeah, I really wonder why so much of the community believes SBR is corrupt and just wants to get their money by keeping MK in. It is unfortunate that this debate has gone beyond MK and into the legitimacy of the top brass, but they could show a little more concern for the mid and lower levels.
Lol you are ********, don't come at me with a silly "you dont even give reasoning for it!". I don't have it, this post is just ********.

etecoon

Smash Hero
It is unfortunate that this debate has gone beyond MK and into the legitimacy of the top brass
This is only because people have to have someone to direct their temper tantrum at.

swordgard

Smash Hero
like I said, pro-ban actually had more relevant information.

who cares about MK compared to SF, or any other fighting game. Its like making a change on a certain rule in a sport (lets say basketball) because the netball world changed a rule. the similarities between brawl as a competitive fighting game and any other game are just as limited. outside of having the same idea of damaging your opponent with attacks, thats about where the similarities end. smash is unique because of the massive effect counterpicking stages etc brings into it. Unless one of those other fighting games had a character who could simply choose a stage which would alter all matchups further in their favour, then you might be able to start comparing the two.

I just found all the anecdotal evidence of comparing smash to other, LEGITIMATE fighting games, not convincing at all.
You do realize that anti ban refuted alot of what was in the OP which had many errors and false truths, but noone answered most of our posts. Pro ban named tons of "theorically" broken stuff which was also full of errors.

You dont prove that something is broken in "theory", because that is implying that although it is not broken right now, it will be broken in the future. This is not why we ban characters. We ban characters because they force overcentralization. MK doesn't do this.

Comparing to other fighters is relevent as it allows us to compare our ban criteria to see if it makes sense, although it is not the end of it all argument. Counterpicking characters still exist in other fighting games. We also used the example of super smash bros 64, but then pro ban dismissed it cause it was too "different", once again. Pro ban has been avoiding avarice's, Spadefox and my argument for very long, yes their OP may "seem" better, but it was full of flaws.

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
swordgard ur a smart guy :)

overcentralization eh? sigh garchomp

imo mk does for a little centralization, but not too much. i guess all top tiers do that sometimes

Scipion121212

Smash Apprentice
all unmanly said:
Nothing was really lost
Counterpick system was lost. No one knows where is grave is, hated by mighty, yet loved by people.. Hanged as a vulgar bandit, with his organs being burned while he still lived.. Sad destiny of brave man.
But as mighty king told, "Victory is my destiny!".. Poor counterpick system, I will always remind him in tough situations. He shall still live in hearts of ours!

choknater

Smash Obsessed
NNID
choknater
man i lost a snake vs mk on aib ladder yesterday haha, he IS pretty tough

oh well, i beat some other mk's with ic's yayuhz

but he didn't know the matchup at all >_<

Dark 3nergy

Smash Hero
NNID
Gambit.7
3DS FC
4313-0369-9934
Switch FC
SW-5498-4166-5599
You do realize that anti ban refuted alot of what was in the OP which had many errors and false truths, but noone answered most of our posts. Pro ban named tons of "theorically" broken stuff which was also full of errors.

You dont prove that something is broken in "theory", because that is implying that although it is not broken right now, it will be broken in the future. This is not why we ban characters. We ban characters because they force overcentralization. MK doesn't do this.

Comparing to other fighters is relevent as it allows us to compare our ban criteria to see if it makes sense, although it is not the end of it all argument. Counterpicking characters still exist in other fighting games. We also used the example of super smash bros 64, but then pro ban dismissed it cause it was too "different", once again. Pro ban has been avoiding avarice's, Spadefox and my argument for very long, yes their OP may "seem" better, but it was full of flaws.
thats why i try to stay away from playing the theory smash game. There are some things ppl talk about, i sit there and think to myself; "is that rly possible to do in a real match??" O_o

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
lol come on, that match is a joke :p
I know, whenever I see that match I laugh at how ******** it is. But it's still one of the better examples as to how MK can successfully camp and time out other characters in the game while they can do nothing but watch.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
You mean how MK can successfully camp and time out dapuffster while he can do nothing but watch.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
You mean how MK can successfully camp and time out dapuffster while he can do nothing but watch.
Well, if you want to put it as it is shown, how Plank can successfully camp and time out dapuffster while he can do nothing but watch.

The point is that any MK can do it if they really wanted to. The fact they don't do it is personal choice, really. You can't ban Akuma either if all players in SF2 punch instead of air fireball or invincible kick, right? SF2 and Brawl are horrible comparisons, but the choice of players not doing an unfair tactic yet it still being there to use whenever you want to isn't. The fact that a player fell to one of these tactics that is supposedly easy to break (and a skilled player at that) doesn't worsen the fact that it is still a tactic that can be used, and WILL be used if necessary, and is difficult to get by without suffering much punishment.

And lucky for us, a few characters can get past that. But those characters have other problems then, like how ZSS can counter dair camping, she is vulnerable to planking. Then it becomes a matter of learning what characters can do to stop your stalling techniques, and changing from one to the other accordingly.

Just saying.

Red Arremer

Smash Legend
I'm not even someone who knows Diddy in and out, but I'm pretty sure that there would've been options for dapuffster to actually do something. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom