• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Q&A Thread

Player-4

See you in 25 years
You don't jump into him >_>

You have six jumps... Are you telling me if you jump from the ledge with 6 jumps you'll get Fsmashed?

You're booty if the answer is yes. The only thing you should be concerned with if you jump is getting hit with an AS which you can air dodge, fall under, or possibly jump over.

Not only all that but you have Tornado you can use too...

zmx

Smash Lord
I have a question.

How do you platform/floor cancel the shuttle loop? I can see this is very useful because you can immediately do whatever you want as soon as you touch the ground this way. No delay from getting up. But I can't seem to figure out how to do it.

Also I play with tap jump off for all my characters. Is there any reason to have tap jump on for metaknight?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
I have a question.

How do you platform/floor cancel the shuttle loop? I can see this is very useful because you can immediately do whatever you want as soon as you touch the ground this way. No delay from getting up. But I can't seem to figure out how to do it.
You mean, when you Glide Attack just before hitting the ground? or when you touch the ground before starting the glide (if it's that, is all about vertical spacing).

Also I play with tap jump off for all my characters. Is there any reason to have tap jump on for metaknight?
It is useful to do Grounded Shuttle Loops Out-of-Shield.
You can map any other button to make that option easier, though.

zmx

Smash Lord
You mean, when you Glide Attack just before hitting the ground? or when you touch the ground before starting the glide (if it's that, is all about vertical spacing).

It is useful to do Grounded Shuttle Loops Out-of-Shield.
You can map any other button to make that option easier, though.

I meant as soon as you touch the ground. So it's just a quick glide attack then just before you touch it? I see.

And I can do OOS shuttle loop with tap jump off so I'm not sure what you mean.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
You can't just shield and up-b with tap jump off. You have to hit whatever button is set to jump first, then up-b.

What's up MK mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.

Grim Tuesday

Smash Legend
1) Meta Knight's camping and run-away ability is greatly improved by Norfair's layout. There are several characters that simply can't catch him if he runs away, he's that mobile here. The layout of the platforms allows him to apply quick pressure via sharking and the multiple ledges can give him invincible aerials whenever he needs them. He can easily avoid the lava hazards and knock people into them with his multiple jumps + dair/shuttle loop.

2) This stage is as good as Rainbow Cruise and Brinstar for Meta Knight. I don't think he has any bad or even match-ups on the stage, and beats everyone a solid 60:40 or better. Some characters like Wario and Mr. Game & Watch might have an improved match-up against him (or they aren't worse than normal, at least) but MK's most common counters have a tough time on the stage due to how aerial-based it is.

3) MK can really do whatever he wants here, lol. I would say that his best option would be scrooging and tornado'ing across the top two platforms to waste time, and dropping down to shark whenever someone reaches him, but I can definitely see a more aggro style based around controlling the center with shuttle loops and uairs working too.

4) Mostly good.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
What's up MK mains?

I have a couple of questions I want to ask and I'd like you guys to help me answer them. They're all related to Norfair by the way.

1) How does your character fare with just the stage? Does your character benefit from the layout and the numerous hazards or do they normally hinder you?
2) How does your character generally fare on this stage against certain matchups? Does he excel in a lot of them and only has a few bad MUs, or is he generally bad on this stage against a large portion of the cast?
3) What are some general strategies for your character on this stage? Controlling the center? Stalling? Staying mobile?
4) Overall, would you say that this stage is mostly good for your character, mostly bad, or depends?

Thanks in advance!

This mass survey across most of the character boards is admin approved.
assuming there's an LGL dair camping the top is gay, most characters can't do anything if you do it smartly because you can use tornado to outprioritize their moveset and go from the top left to the top right. also if they get to greedy you can just get the bottom center which = stage control.

AKA if you want to play MK there don't lose the lead.

Enzo

Smash Lord
You don't jump into him >_>

You have six jumps... Are you telling me if you jump from the ledge with 6 jumps you'll get Fsmashed?

You're booty if the answer is yes. The only thing you should be concerned with if you jump is getting hit with an AS which you can air dodge, fall under, or possibly jump over.

Not only all that but you have Tornado you can use too...
Dam, harsh but thanks lol

assuming there's an LGL dair camping the top is gay, most characters can't do anything if you do it smartly because you can use tornado to outprioritize their moveset and go from the top left to the top right. also if they get to greedy you can just get the bottom center which = stage control.

AKA if you want to play MK there don't lose the lead.
I think that last line applies to all stages, don't you think? :awesome:

Anyways, are there any other cool things that I might not know about? I already knew about tornadoing from one side to the other, and the cool bypassing of a scrooging rule (by gliding above the bottom platform :3). Anything worth mentioning?

Orion*

Smash Researcher
I think that last line applies to all stages, don't you think? :awesome:
Not at all imo

the cool bypassing of a scrooging rule (by gliding above the bottom platform :3). [/COLOR]
That doesn't even souund that good. It's like asking to get read, you have gay/safe *** options without putting yourself into a potentially dumb situation. Maybe it;s better in application though, so I will try it out.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
It's a good stage for mk, but I'd still rather play on brinstar or RC. Also, that stage is wack and dumb and deserves to be banned. Only reason I'd play there is if I'm guaranteed a loss and am hoping to get lucky.

BlueZebra

Smash Journeyman
Orion, at KTAR6 I noticed you doing the tilt walk + fair routine m2k does, I'm just wondering if you could give me a tip on how to pull that off, I keep screwing it up. :/

That doesn't even souund that good. It's like asking to get read, you have gay/safe *** options without putting yourself into a potentially dumb situation. Maybe it;s better in application though, so I will try it out.
It's only good in veeeeery specific situations, such as your opponent getting hit by something and you wanting to GTFO via glide, but when the situation comes, it does help avoid that scrooging limit, whatever it may be. In other situations, it's pretty much useless lol. It's just like you said, it's begging to get punished.

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Orion, at KTAR6 I noticed you doing the tilt walk + fair routine m2k does, I'm just wondering if you could give me a tip on how to pull that off, I keep screwing it up. :/
Hard work.

It's only good in veeeeery specific situations, such as your opponent getting hit by something and you wanting to GTFO via glide, but when the situation comes, it does help avoid that scrooging limit, whatever it may be. In other situations, it's pretty much useless lol. It's just like you said, it's begging to get punished.
yes. im gonna hit my opponent and not followup and go for gimps/edgegaurd when i play the character the best offstage play in the game, and one of the best followup games.

if someone hits me and does that i am thankful LMAO. idc if you're going for timeouts if you have your opponent in a **** situation you need to abuse it.

oh my god i am so salty writing that though, please don't get me started

Orion*

Smash Researcher
Worth getting down?
I think so, but I also think tech skill // execution is really important.
There are more important things to learn before that though,

If you have all your ledge options down 100% consistently and can do all of your mixups there. And then your followups/spacing vs computers are good then I would say work on stuff like that, and buffering.

However practicing all of them is probably the best. Most people are lazy and don't practice at all though.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Are u talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s99g9ysehSY 1:47?

wat I do is i start off with a retreating fair then you walk then you have to quickly input a turn around without disrupting the walking momentum and then you sh fair and you repeat it
idk i suk at explaining :S

etecoon

Smash Hero
MK's aerials never clank, galaxia bypasses priority entirely. everything goes through MK's sword and MK's sword goes through everything

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Uh... I have no idea why that would ever happen. I'm pretty sure NO, but you can go test it out if you like.

D Who?

Smash Journeyman
It's just a hard landing. I was playing a match with my friend and I got hit with the second hit while I was in the air and I had alot of lag when I landed. Since I don't know much about RCO lag yet, I thought I'd ask to be sure.

But I appreciate your smug attitude, prick.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
Wtf I wasn't even trying to come off as an *******?? That's just how I talk stop being so insensitive.. I'm just as confused as you are lmao.
I'm assuming you already saw GIMR's RCO lag video? If not, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWH-py8VENU&feature=related

MK can stall for 18 frames max between first and second hit, and 29 between second and third.. I would have to say you could probably input a fast aerial to hit MK if he stops after the 2nd hit, which also reduces any sort of RCO lag to 1/3 (using aerials before landing)

Top Bottom