• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Complete Mario Matchup Thread

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Array of epic posts
I cosign every post you've made so far. PSing fireballs is a very real threat regardless of who's doing it. What the character can do to punish, however, varies greatly and often is less dangerous in comparison.

Zelda's among those few. I do believe that, given the right circumstances, Zelda can powershield and rush in for a Dtilt lock during the frame advantage (SDI out as fast as possible Marios!) and end it with a KO move. For that reason, I don't agree with excessive camping in this matchup on Mario's end.

Because there's a lot of comptent Zelda's for you to base my opinion off of amirite? I find it often conceited off you to take shots at the Mario's I play. The whole ZOMG punish FW is sill in my eyes considering Zelda's floatiness with proper DI you sholdn't even use FW very often. But I'm not surprised mario's consider their main mid tier thus feels the need to overate not only their character but their match ups. AZZomg is a prime example of what i'm talking about.
Way to miss my point.

You just told me that Fludd outright does NOTHING to Zelda's recovery. That's flatout wrong and you're completely unaware. That, alone, tells me that you've never played a Mario that has tried to intelligently edgeguard you; one of the clearest advantages that Mario has in this matchup.

And now you're telling me that we overrate our matchups? Not only is that insulting to the year and a half worth of work that we put into making our matchups accurate, but it's unreasonably far from the truth and I welcome you prove to me wrong. Therefore, your opinion no longer matters.

And lol, I've played Ninjalink before. I think he's good enough to pull a little experience from.

Inferno, get your boy. He's making NJ look bad.

Yeah I think you guys are conceited. Just out of curiosity which of marios aerials beat out Zelda's usmash?

Mario isn't mid tier because he isn't luigi. his recovery sucks average killing power at beast mediocre air game. What does he have that makes him mid tier? Yeah he doesn't have the rep either.
None of Mario's aerials beat Zelda's Usmash. Using your comparison, Luigi's don't either. Whatever point you're trying to make is totally invalid.

That's definitely not the way you measure a character. Here, let me try:

MK is lightweight, has no projectile, has a horrible aerial movement speed, and cannot clash with projectiles (meaning Mario can toss out fireballs and he can't cancel them with fair or ftilt), his damage output is on the lower half of the roster, and his best approach method (nado) is punishable if the opponent expects it...

The list admittedly isn't much longer than that, but he's often regarded as "broken" despite those weaknesses.

If you want to measure a character, weigh the good + the bad in comparison to the rest of the characters around them. If you do that, Mario needs to move up.

Actually, it does mean it's a plus. Don't get me wrong though, I completely understand what you're saying and agree. Killing power certainly is an advantage Zelda has but it still is only one part of the MU alongside with many other things like damage racking and edgeguarding. Just because Zelda has stronger killing moves doesn't mean she would have an advantage, but it still needs to be taken into account, especially since it's one of her biggest advantages in this match alongside her anti-air capatilies and better range.
Very valid point. Zelda can change the tide of the match quickly, much like DK. It often doesn't even require the Mario to screw up.

If Zelda gets behind, you, as the Mario, cannot let yourself get comfortable.

What I mean by viable is can it be used safely against an opponent who knows the options available in each situation?

The platform situation can be reacted to and avoided easily since you can do moves out of it pretty immediately. Hitting people who stay on the ledge too long is not a viable strategy under any circumstances. You're not D-tilting Mario out of his D-air ever.

And the reason why I specifically mentioned D-tilt is because it's the only reliable setup into a KO move.
True, but this is only on paper. All it takes is Mario trying to approach grounded or airdodge away to space for an Fsmash and miss a step, and you're Dtilt locked. The consequences of this are, indeed, "devastating".

It might as well be our jab lock, except more reliable.

The gave Mario a power boost in brawl it's called luigi. Thanks for playing. Mario's recovery is bad, I love how the Mario player can know all the options but the Zellda is some ****ing idiot that gets pushed off the edge while using Dins with the water ****. You mario's main logic is superb.
It's not about "whose theoretical character can beat whose?"...it's about knowing all of the options. It's the same way that some of the Zeldas have mentioned Utilt killing at around 100% even though it's about as reliable as ROB's Usmash.

How will Zelda's Dash Attack go through fireballs?

Zelda's Dash Attack doesn't even clank with Fireballs. She just loses out to it, since her attacks have transcendent priority. Dash Attacking OoS is too slow as well, and is unlikely to reach Mario unless he shoots a fireball at point blank range.
Yeah....I'm kinda glad you got to this first...

His posts are getting increasingly uninformed...

Mikey, how come you've never used Zelda against my Mario?

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Even though I think the matchup is in Mario's favor, I still strongly emphasize that this matchup is really gay and slow paced because Zelda is just really good at being a homo the entire time.

I find her almost as annoying as Sonic to deal with in general.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Oh yeah, Mario =/= Luigi.

STOP COMPARING THE TWO

I'll take THAT discussion to PMs to break down their differences and why Luigi isn't just a better Mario. I'll even explain why Mario's Nair is nearly as epic as Luigi's. You can either do that, or reference one of the two 5-page long discussions I've had on it on SWF, or head to AiB and find the thread about it on their Mario boards.

My opinion hasn't changed.

MrEh

Smash Hero
This discussion was done ever since it was about "Mario vs Zelda."

Trying to discuss two obscure characters is funny more then anything.

zeldspazz

Smash Master
Cool. Sorry if I ever came off as biased for Zelda, since I was like the only one who thought it was in her favor, I was being honest on what I thought though :\

Hope I could help a little though

MrEh

Smash Hero
Cool. Sorry if I ever came off as biased for Zelda, since I was like the only one who thought it was in her favor, I was being honest on what I thought though :\
Most Zelda players think that matchups are in Zelda's favor at the begining. Months and months ago, we had a thread about some guy who thought Zelda was a Snake counter. Good times.

At higher levels of play, Zelda has troubles keeping up with most of the cast. And Mario is no exception.

Yeah....I'm kinda glad you got to this first...
Dash Attacks being the answer to fireballs is just outrageous. lol

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think it's lame that Zelda got all these buffs that don't mean anything under a physics engine that renders them useless.

Now if this game had Melee physics, Zelda would easily be high tier.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
Everytime Successor of Raphael and I have ever played, he's 0-deathed me at least once. I find that amazing and inspiring, even if it's wifi.

I mean, there's wifi combos, then there's what he does. Those weren't wifi combos.

JUDGE

Smash Lord
Well that was short summary, I hate Zelda cause usually when I play my friends this happens; I get launched off by a really powerful,but I don't get KO'ed cause I DI'ed, then they throw a Din's fire to KO me, that's really homo.
wtf you get hit from dins?
:p

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I see that Wolf is the popular choice.

So Wolf is actually a pretty solid character. He has a pretty good projectile, nice kill power, good range, and he can use his bair to space very well. The thing that doesn't put him as high tier is because of how stupid his FF and weight is. It's practically THE perfect combination to get screwed by infinites, CGs, etc. Also, that perfect combination provides easy juggling and Utilt chains on him. Like most of the spacies, they have advantages on flat stages like FD and SV. I believe they don't do too well on YI and BF and they don't do well on Lylat. I would try to take them there first if its a starter. He is gimped pretty easily, but it isn't as easy as Fox or Falco. FLUDD really helps as well. Honestly, his combination of FF speed and weight it what halts him and it's also what stops him from having an advantage. I think it would definitely be Wolf's advantage if it wasn't for that. It's that stupid.

I think it's even. I'm wondering what other people will say.

Shahryar2010

Smash Cadet
I hate Down Throw then F-smash, gets around a 20% start on us. Wolf is gimpable of course and we can juggle easily but i have a feeling the matchup is 50:50.

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
You can tech Dthrow. We have a frame advantage on him if he does it early.

Inferno3044

Smash Master
I seriously didn't now you could tech his Dthrow. Wow, I'm bad xD.

I'd be willing to say 55:45 Wolf or 60:40?
I highly doubt it's 60:40 Wolf. 55:45 I think there's a possibility, but I wanna hear from the Wolf mains.

That's really helpful that we can tech the Dthrow. Too bad my teching sucks.

Gindler

Smash Champion
I'm a wolf second/sidemain if that counts =P

The Dthrow is techable, but only at "higher" percents, not sure what the percent is on mario since it's different with each character. Mario's Utilt chain ends at 28ish IIRC in which case most wolves will shine, so go ahead and shield grab that, Uair chains seem to do a good job on wolf too thanks to his fall speed. Mario works wolf's recovery too (obviously) whether it's cape or fludd or Bair, be weary of using the cape though from time to time I'll recover the opposite way on purpose so mario will cape me towards the stage.

Oh yeah, first you have to get through wolf's Bair barrage ha. If you can space it right try to come up from below it with mario's Uair, that move is so beastly fast. Wolf's shine works pretty good at gimping mario if he isn't above the stage so DI up when hit with a "kill move", which as mario you probably know by now anyway. I'd say the matchups pretty even just because mario can gimp wolf pretty much anyway he recovers, other than that though wolf's just heavier, faster, and kills better. IMHO it's 55:45 wolf, a pretty fun matchup YAY.

Top Bottom