• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Rate My Falcon Thread

Flayl

Smash Hero
P3 Flayl is in the US, at least go to his profile before you say that.
???

Oh you mean the Youtube account? Lol. That's because it's a shared account (I thought BowserReplays with different players would have been a giveaway).

Winnar

Smash Lord
Three SDs lol

Very solid gameplay, smart spacing, lots of uair spam, good baiting/punish game. Charging dsmash shield traps are also good

You seem to be wary of overextending yourself, which is good, but you can get (at least a little) more out of a lot of the openings you create. There are places where you pause when you should pursue. Just in general try to look for places where you aren't moving when you could be attacking or running away.

There are a few times when you hang out in your shield for a long time, he didn't abuse it but snake has some pretty great grab stuff

I might have more later but I have class in 5 minutes so I gotta go D:

BigLord

Smash Lord
NNID
BiigLord
3DS FC
3024-7470-9499
Lol, I wonder why I only get online my worst replays. Going to hunt for my best matches now.

Commenting on Kishin's vid as I go:

You rolled towards your opponent and ended up in front of him, got grabbed. Don't do that! It's very punishable.

Lol@double tripping.

Too bad about that suicide, your intention was pure and all that, but you DI'd a little too much.

Holy crap that was a LOT of powershielding, nice. The dsmash was risky, but ze mindgamez made up for it.

Excellent use of FHNair, right there, 'tis a sight to behold. As winnar said, very nice spacing game.

Ooooh crap that was so unfair (2nd suicide). The problem is that you knee'd him. Should have uaired or something.

What happened at the end, mistake? Anyway, you played nicely, IMO. You could have blown up that mine at the beginning, using respawn invincibility, though.

Winnar

Smash Lord
BigLord the burning question on everyone's mind is whether or not that replay of yours was from you playing on wifi or offline?

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Lol good game Kishin, even with those 3 suicides.

My main advices are :
1- don't roll behind your opponent.
2-Always keep in head the location and timing of Snake's explosives. Running in a mine twice is unforgivable.
3-about your 2nd suicide I'd suggest you to never rely on edgehogging to recover. Of course you can do it, but you must (as much as possible) keep recovering over the ledge as an option, because Falcon is way too easily edgehogged.

That's all, just stop SDing and you should be pretty legit.

Kishin

Smash Ace
I don't see where I FHN-aird not do I see where I rolled toward him and got grabbed. I don't roll often but when I do it's either me failing to input something correctly or me trying a mix-up. The first roll -> charged d-smash would have worked but I released too early. 2nd SD I was in a "wtf" state seeing him survive the knee without a tech and thus delayed my 2nd knee. No idea there was a spot on BF where it does that.

Thanks for the advice.

lordhelmet

Smash Master
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sq5vKCgA8vA

this isnt a mirror match i promise :)

anyways, this was a little over a month ago, before i actually found out what CF's DI move was XD

anyways rate plz :D
I love that quality and widescreen *creams*

Anyway, too much rolling. You seemed to be pulling out a lot of random attacks that didn't hit, and you're playing aggressive against a Marth which is a bad idea. The Marth could've easily punished you if he wasn't on autopilot and had his spacing down. xD

But other than that, it's all good.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
I love that quality and widescreen *creams*

Anyway, too much rolling. You seemed to be pulling out a lot of random attacks that didn't hit, and you're playing aggressive against a Marth which is a bad idea. The Marth could've easily punished you if he wasn't on autopilot and had his spacing down. xD

But other than that, it's all good.
thegreatkazoo recorded, i came all over myself when i saw the quality :D

its so hard trying to quit rolling so much lol. Dray just started learn marth so i also posted this in the marth forum so they can destroy his marth esteem :3

so, More spacing, less aggro, less random, and NOT SO MUCH LOLL, I MEAN ROLLING?

correct right?

imma bout to start doing the rolling samus vs snake just to help kick the habit lol

lordhelmet

Smash Master
thegreatkazoo recorded, i came all over myself when i saw the quality :D

its so hard trying to quit rolling so much lol. Dray just started learn marth so i also posted this in the marth forum so they can destroy his marth esteem :3

so, More spacing, less aggro, less random, and NOT SO MUCH LOLL, I MEAN ROLLING?

correct right?

imma bout to start doing the rolling samus vs snake just to help kick the habit lol
That's the jist of it. Using a character with a bad roll is actually helpful.

Yung Mei

i just remembered that part of the reason i roll so much is that i set my r button to attack so i can dacus with characters.

and whenever i try and Dacus with CF (it works wonders lol) and end up hitting both L and R, and i end up rolling. I should stop doing that too lol

Player-3

Smash Hero
Thegreatwazoo???

That guy is pretty cool irl

Recorded some old melee vids of me o:

Btw stop running into charged stuff

Yung Mei

Thegreatwazoo???

That guy is pretty cool irl

Recorded some old melee vids of me o:

Btw stop running into charged stuff
i couldnt help but chuckle

anyways thanks for the rate guys, and ill start trying to work on those things :)

Player-3

Smash Hero
Wait, how did you gef him to record?

You in GA??

Better critique tomorrow when i have a comp

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Soo Calvo. I'm gonna be harsh but it's what you need to get better :

First I didn't see so many rolls, imo that's not your main problem
Second you use only half of Falcon's ground move, and guess what it's not the good one.

Learn to
-Walk
-Use jab>jab (it's better than only jab)
-USE TILTS, all I saw were smashes everywhere
-Use Dash > shield > grab instead of dashgrab, or at least do not use dashgrab when you're too close from your opponent
-Do not use dash attack as an approach.

yoshq

Smash Master
I don't see where I FHN-aird not do I see where I rolled toward him and got grabbed. I don't roll often but when I do it's either me failing to input something correctly or me trying a mix-up. The first roll -> charged d-smash would have worked but I released too early. 2nd SD I was in a "wtf" state seeing him survive the knee without a tech and thus delayed my 2nd knee. No idea there was a spot on BF where it does that.

Thanks for the advice.
Kishin! when I was going through those replays I noticed your sick dash dancing trixies. I was just going to watch them and figure it out, but is there anything special you do?

Yung Mei

Soo Calvo. I'm gonna be harsh but it's what you need to get better :

First I didn't see so many rolls, imo that's not your main problem
Second you use only half of Falcon's ground move, and guess what it's not the good one.

Learn to
-Walk
-Use jab>jab (it's better than only jab)
-USE TILTS, all I saw were smashes everywhere
-Use Dash > shield > grab instead of dashgrab, or at least do not use dashgrab when you're too close from your opponent
-Do not use dash attack as an approach.
doesnt shield cancel the dash momentum as well? i shoulld start doing that too lol

anyways, ill try my best to improve. thanks guys i appreciate your rate

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
That's the point, because nearly everytime you tried to dashgrab you ended behind Marth.
Dash > shield > grab gives you a standing grab out of a dash, so less momentum, less lag and less startup.

Winnar

Smash Lord
You dash then let go of control stick and then dash again. It kind of looks like a foxtrot. It's a lot more useful than it was in melee lol

Also there are a lot of places where dash grab works when dash shield grab will be too slow. It's like 3 or 4 or 5 extra frames longer to come out than dash grab if you're trying to catch someone.

The only good thing about dash shield grab is that it is arguably less punishable, but since you will statistically miss out on more grabs with dash shield grab than just dash grab I would argue that dash grab is safer in almost all of the scenarios where you would have to choose between them. Exceptions would be like if you are rushing into something you need to powershield grab.

Yung Mei

You dash then let go of control stick and then dash again. It kind of looks like a foxtrot. It's a lot more useful than it was in melee lol

Also there are a lot of places where dash grab works when dash shield grab will be too slow. It's like 3 or 4 or 5 extra frames longer to come out than dash grab if you're trying to catch someone.

The only good thing about dash shield grab is that it is arguably less punishable, but since you will statistically miss out on more grabs with dash shield grab than just dash grab I would argue that dash grab is safer in almost all of the scenarios where you would have to choose between them. Exceptions would be like if you are rushing into something you need to powershield grab.
oh ok, i see.... hell of an awesome name :D

Ramzeh

Smash Ace
Falcon has the second fastest foxtrot and it boosts Falcon's grab range.
Falcon doesn't need the extra range if he's so ****ing speedy. Also, grabbing lag.

tl;dr last couple of pages

Just grab with shield+A

you'll automatically get a standing grab

Winnar

Smash Lord
oh ok, i see.... hell of an awesome name :D

Oh also you'll get faux super armor more often with dash grab. That's when you take damage but you get the grab anyway. It's risky'ish but you can go through any attack at any percent with this, including ike fully charged fsmash. So if you see someone start up an attack that has a bit of startup lag then you can rush in and get the grab safely.

Not sure if that applies to your match, but it can be good to know.

Oh also something you should keep in mind is that a lot of the times you ran into people's charge up attacks it was because you tried to dash to get closer. Falcon's dash is reeeeeeeally long, so you can end up in trouble if you're trying to have precise spacing. If someone starts charging something then you should be patient and walk nearest you feel safe then dash in and punish somehow. Almost never try to rush in if they are already in the charging mode because it's such a risky gamble for you with so little payoff.

Yung Mei

Oh also you'll get faux super armor more often with dash grab. That's when you take damage but you get the grab anyway. It's risky'ish but you can go through any attack at any percent with this, including ike fully charged fsmash. So if you see someone start up an attack that has a bit of startup lag then you can rush in and get the grab safely.

Not sure if that applies to your match, but it can be good to know.

Oh also something you should keep in mind is that a lot of the times you ran into people's charge up attacks it was because you tried to dash to get closer. Falcon's dash is reeeeeeeally long, so you can end up in trouble if you're trying to have precise spacing. If someone starts charging something then you should be patient and walk nearest you feel safe then dash in and punish somehow. Almost never try to rush in if they are already in the charging mode because it's such a risky gamble for you with so little payoff.
im too used to playing aggresively :D

thats how i like my matches otherwise i get bored

teluoborg

Smash Otter
NNID
teloutre
Playing aggressively will get you ***** against any smart player, but it's ok when you play with your friends.

Also dashgrab has ONE use : when you want to jab jab grab but the opponent is too far away for standing grab to work.

Yung Mei

i didnt see very many tilts

use utilt to keep you opponent at bay.... thats all i can say lol

Top Bottom