• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dolphin/Melee Emulation Discussion Thread

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Alright the Galaxy 64 kaillera server is up and running.

It's running on a gaming server so no worries about "server" lag if it's lagging type /lagstat in the gameroom and check which player is lagging

it is also running on the latest emulinker with new commands etc type /help on the main chat when you get there. and also type help when you're in the gameroom

Galaxy 64 will be the official server for Dolphin online play and N64's home.
It was originally planned to be in Los Angeles but for now it's on Texas

Server IP: 72.5.250.125:27888
Also if you ever want to let a friend know about the server and they need the ip instead of typing out the ip link them to this webpage which contains the ip http://www.galaxy64.com/Kaillera.html

http://www.galaxy64.com

And if you can't run melee well you might want to check out SSB64 it will run on ALL computers.
go to the download section and download pj64k and there's a guide on how to configure it to play.
play on the server and have fun

Superstar

Smash Champion
SSB64 didn't run well on my 5 year old comp.

Until desynchs are fixed though I don't see the point of going too big with Melee netplay. There really needs to be something that freezes the game until it picks up the packet. But I know very little C++ and no socket code period.

metayoshi

Smash Cadet
Hmm... I've been using that controller adapter as well, but what controller plugin do you use for it? The one I have for Dolphin (that works with USB Joysticks) doesn't have the L or R button's settings to all the way down, so it light-shields on the ground and doesn't air dodge at all. The other controller plugin has support for Xbox 360 controllers and it works perfectly, though I'm not to fond of playing smash with a 360 controller.

MattNF

Smash Lord
Hmm... I've been using that controller adapter as well, but what controller plugin do you use for it? The one I have for Dolphin (that works with USB Joysticks) doesn't have the L or R button's settings to all the way down, so it light-shields on the ground and doesn't air dodge at all. The other controller plugin has support for Xbox 360 controllers and it works perfectly, though I'm not to fond of playing smash with a 360 controller.
I had that problem too originally. To fix it you have to put the deadzone around 50%, and turn rumble to 100% and turn it on (or maybe it was off... oh well, try both ways).

Superstar

Smash Champion
New Dolphin released today. Now Netplay has "official" support, so to say. Also work on DSP-LLE which might help with the sound sucking.

I'm up to play test it with someone when I get home. Hard to find people with god CPUs.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Alright if you want to test out the netplay/kaillera option of Dolphin you may do so at the only official dolphin server: Galaxy 64 running on a gaming server.

IP: 72.5.250.125:27888
Name: Galaxy 64

Note: I said official because it's the only server that is not hosted on somebody's computer and home connection

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
So I can play melee and everything at 60fps. But do I have to unlock all of the characters manually? Because when I use the AR in the emulator, it just crashes my game. (unless im using an older revision of dolphin). Also how do I play online? The v2 release doesnt seem to have kaillera. Is this just me? Or do we need to play over some kind of tunnel network like hamachi?

LLDL

Smash Hero
You realize that the two people who posted two posts above you are the ones playing in the video? lol

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
@CHAiN-ACE
LMAO!!! I didn't even notice that. I need to pay more attention :laugh:

@person701
Here's everything you need to know
http://forums.dolphin-emu.com/thread-4.html :)

BTW you don't need to use a Xbox 360 controller. I bought a 3 in 1 magic joy box PS2/Xbox/GC. It supports Dolphin and works well. Feels like I'm actually playing the gamecube, here's another link :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/Converter-PS2-X...t=Video_Games_Accessories&hash=item4aa0e3f885

Hope that answers everybody questions and problems :]

joeplicate

Smash Master
i guess like every 9 months or so i get interested in dolphin and pop in to see how it's going

so how's it going? good/reliable yet?

Korrupshen

Smash Ace
Other than having a WTF processor clocked at 3.0ghz to 4.2ghz. Yeah, its the development is going pretty well. The minimum requirements might lower over time by time, but that's not guaranteed. 2.0ghz duo is the minimum processor speed to run a dolphin at a decent speed, but not full. To get dolphin to run at its fullest you'll have to get a duo processor in between 3.0ghz to 3.5ghz. Dolphin still has small amount of graphical errors that need to be fixed, but other than that it shouldn't effect the speed of the game. There's also a whole bunch of revisions released daily by dolphin. Be aware that most revisions will run better or even faster than others.

Here's a video showing dolphin running in fullspeed. Also, be aware that fraps [A game/desktop recorder]
can reduce how fluid the game looks in a video, and ignore the FPS which tends to be wrong most of the time when fraps is recording. If you plan on running dolphin, be prepared to lose some money. The guy in the vid spent $1,800 in USDs on his new rig/PC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrmpES1Houw

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
The guy in the vid spent $1,800 in USDs on his new rig/PC.[/url]
I have a sub 1000$ computer and I could run it with full antialiasing no problem.

The only problem I have is I lost the good revision I had. I think it was like 2771. The new ones are giving me odd errors. Not to mention the gameshark doesn't work on them.

How's the online now? Has anybody figured out how it works with melee?
this

Tichinde925

Smash Legend
You do not need a "WTF" Processor: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gaming-cpu-core-i3-athlon-ii-x4,2791-6.html

As long as its in the top 2 tiers, your fine. My Processor is the Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550.

I can play it full speed MAX settings:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naRD1-g5Ho0

(video stutters due to Fraps being used to record)

My PC Specs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fU6OPhWVYzU

I have Gamecube Controller to USB adapters and they work perfectly, except for some slight mishaps that occur occasionally:

http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/gc_n64_usb_adapters/index.php

No special drivers needed at all, just plug and play.

Colten

Smash Cadet
Hey I know this thread is kinda old but can this Laptop run SSBM online?

Also what are the best settings to make netplay run smoothly?

2.2GHz 2nd generation Intel Core i3-2330M Processor
* 4GB system memory; Expandable up to 8GB
* 640GB hard disk drive
* Super Multi DVD burner
* Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)
* Intel HD Graphics 3000
* Connectivity options include 10/100 Ethernet LAN and Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/n

My friend's ghz is 2.3

Does playing Lightening melee help? I've played online with my friend but it's laggy, I dunno what settings I should change to speed it up though. I use Hamachi, should I use Kailerra?

NNID
dansalvato
Sorry, it's nearly impossible to have a decent online experience, and your laptop is definitely too underpowered to do so.

NNID
dansalvato
Even with a powerful gaming laptop/pc?
Yes. Pretty much every game will desync, and the only way to (partially) alleviate that is to play in single-core mode, which only truly extraordinary PCs will be able to handle at full speed. The netplay is simply not designed to keep up with such a fast-paced game when two PCs are each running their own copy of the game.

Colten

Smash Cadet
Yes. Pretty much every game will desync, and the only way to (partially) alleviate that is to play in single-core mode, which only truly extraordinary PCs will be able to handle at full speed. The netplay is simply not designed to keep up with such a fast-paced game when two PCs are each running their own copy of the game.
Aw man,thought it was too good to be true. Thank you for the prompt response. Although I have seen videos online of people playing at about 55 fps I can see how that could affect some advanced techs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfd8DrbdK8c

I know my laptop and my friends will experience lag, but I was wondering if you or anyone else know any tips to make the game run a bit smoother?
Hamachi vs Kailera, different settings on dolphin, playing Lightning melee, etc

Avalancer

Smash Journeyman
I usually emulate melee on my PC if I want to write down stuff about a character or see hitboxes (I don't have a AR)
CPU: Intel Core i7-880 (Quad-core)
RAM: 4gb
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 6890 (2gb)
HDD: 2TB

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
I dont understand what the point is if you cant play it online. And online will probably not happen. ( i am aware of massive and ie working on it, but the chances of it working fine is slim to none).

Massive

Smash Champion
My honest opinion is that you need to be patient.

I wouldn't be working on it if it was impossible. If it wasn't going to pan out I would just tell everybody about it. We have made some (substantial) progress, but this is not a small, fast, or easy thing to implement by any stretch of imagination.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
My honest opinion is that you need to be patient.

I wouldn't be working on it if it was impossible. If it wasn't going to pan out I would just tell everybody about it. We have made some (substantial) progress, but this is not a small, fast, or easy thing to implement by any stretch of imagination.
I am being patient. You chose to comment on my post refuting (which is fine) that is would be nearly impossible and I asked you for a possibility of it. No need to be so curt or frank.

EDIT: Changed minor typo

NNID
dansalvato
I am being patient. You chose to comment on my post refuting (which is fine) that is would be nearly impossible and I asked you for a time frame. No need to be so curt or frank.
You didn't ask for a time frame. You asked for his opinion on the validity of the project. Which is valid. So very valid. (Though I, as the one working on the Melee side and not the netplay side, may be thinking a tad less realistically than Massive. =P) In any case, your "will probably not happen" prediction is not true. Even realistically, we have a good reason to be working on it.

Beat!

Smash Master
Leviathan dude, you are definitely not being patient. You keep bumping all these online play threads, and whenever Massive posts you swarm him with questions.

Relax a bit. If it happens, it happens. Enjoy some IRL melee in the meantime.

Leviathan741

Smash Ace
You didn't ask for a time frame. You asked for his opinion on the validity of the project. Which is valid. So very valid. (Though I, as the one working on the Melee side and not the netplay side, may be thinking a tad less realistically than Massive. =P) In any case, your "will probably not happen" prediction is not true. Even realistically, we have a good reason to be working on it.
Eh, yea I dont know why I put time frame. More like validity of project yes, and if you guys think it is realistic then thats great.

Leviathan dude, you are definitely not being patient. You keep bumping all these online play threads, and whenever Massive posts you swarm him with questions.

Relax a bit. If it happens, it happens. Enjoy some IRL melee in the meantime.
Swarming massive? You have got to be kidding me. I have been talking to others about it/responding and discussing it with them. I asked Massive a couple of questions in the original thread, but that is about it.

Top Bottom