• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VIDEO SMASH NEXUS - forum is up!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
[size=+2]<< VIDEO SMASH NEXUS >>[/size]
[size=+1]click here[/size]

Sponsored by: Cdbobo and Jeremy Feifer

"Can anyone help me find Link videos? Who is this 'forward' guy? Is he any good? I need some strategies for playing on Green Greens! Are there any videos of good players on that stage? Has Ken ever fought Taj? Does anyone play Ness anymore?"

Ask no more! The Video Smash Nexus is here... almost! With the VSN, smashers can find videos using any search criteria! Find videos based on which players are playing, what characters they are using, and what stages they are playing on! Filter for friendly or tournament matches!

20071202 -- The Smash Nexus Forum is up. If you are genuinely interested in contributing to this project (aside from donations), please join up! http://community.smashnexus.net/

20071121 -- Forgive my horrible delay. Not only did school take over my life this fall, the beta test revealed several glaring flaws in the system, so I need to restructure part of the system. However, to prevent you all from being in the dark, I will start posting weekly updates on my blog (see my sig). I haven't chosen a day yet, but I will probably aim for Mondays. Check back for my decision on that.

20070701 -- Later today, I will be posting the beta test version of the VSN to the server. The moderator team will be testing the site and indexing videos in preparation for the public release (tentative date of July 8). We want to make sure we have a solid product to offer before releasing it to everyone else!

20070630 -- I just want to clarify one thing: July 1st marks the start of the beta testing. The mod team will be indexing videos like mad and becoming familiar with the interface. This way, the Nexus will actually have something to offer when it reaches the public. The beta testing period will not last too horribly long. I will post the public release date soon after July 1. :)

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
wow cool. this looks to be awesome >_>

BladeWise

Smash Lord
wow cool. there's a piece of candy next to my computer. I like when that happens.

.....?
C-c-c-c-c-c-combo Breaker!!!

but really, this does look cool.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer

Here is a DRASTIC improvement to that layout...

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Wow, what motivation you give me. I'm gonna make this site rock just to see how many "wow cool. this looks to be awesome"s I can get. XD

Elen

Smash Lord
wow cool. this looks to be awesome

If you finish this, I'll be happy to upload or tag and link my 30 gigs of pro smash vids to it ^.^ This could really be a great resource to the smash community. Good lux.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
VSN will not host any videos. Think of it more like Google: it directs you to information that already exists. YouTube, for example, is one of the most popular locations for smash vids, but it is HARD to find specific matches. I'm hoping that this site will put an end to all request threads in the video forums.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
wow cool i hope it really works looks to be awesome
Actually, it works right now. I've completed the forms that allow a user to submit and/or search videos. I'm working now to make it idiot-proof. For instance, if you spell a player's name wrong in submitting a video, you're pretty much screwed. Along those same lines, I haven't created an EDIT page yet, so it's not quite ready for public use.

Right now I'm implementing full doubles support. I sort of ignored doubles to fully insure that singles was working properly. Now that it does, I'm going back and adding all the doubles features. ^_^

Gkryptonite

Smash Journeyman
WAAAOWW!!!!!!!!!

COOOOL,
**** THIS LOOKS TO BE........

what's the word?
The exact thing I was looking for! Seriously, so much more practicle now that the number of smash videos grow and grow

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I need the public's opinion on a couple matters (maybe I should make this thread in a more populated area).

First, I am having difficulty in pinning down a good rating system for matches and players. I'm toying around with the idea of using a system similar to Smashboards' former rep system (simple +reps and -reps) for a cumulative total (thereby promoting popularity and mass votes). I do not like the idea of 1 to 5 stars forming an average: a new vid with two 5-star votes would be ranked higher than an MLG tournament match with 400 votes with an average of 4.826 or something. If you have any thoughts, please share them.

Second, how important is the ability to mark the date of a particular match? Match sets will eventually have the ability to be grouped by event (tournaments), and those will definitely have a month/year tag. When you watch a match, do you sit there and wonder when the match happened? So far, I've placed all the emphasis on being able to search by characters, stages, players, etc.

Ya know, I like to know if the video is old or not, so I like the date to be there. I personally don't care much for ratings, although SOMETIMES they do come in handy.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
OK, I went in and implemented a month/year tag. It turned out to not be too difficult. If the month or year is unknown, that is OK. It'll just ignore it at that point. So, it's optional. I'm not going to implement the exact day for two reasons: (1) I don't think anyone cares and (2) I'm too lazy to go to all the effort of getting the correct 30/31-day flow as well as February and its leap years and crap... >_<

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
What if people submit multiple vids of the same match?
That has crossed my mind, and I am open to ideas. My first impulse is to block an attempt to add a video if the database detects a duplicate URL. While it's not a perfect solution, it is the most accurate method I can come up with.

Suggestions?

BooThunder

Smash Journeyman
hey buzz I really think more ppl ought to know about this. its been up for days and only creepsters such as myself and gimpyfish have found this thread so far. better put it somewhere else and also, do you have a release date set in mind yet and will you let people upload videos beforehand or what, because if you don't already have a decent sized and well organized library of matches when this thing hits the streets its gonna be pwnasaurus rex for you and the problem of uploading more than one match among other potential hazards of everyone going fruitbat crackers over this.

ps are you going to have wierd **** included such as searching for combo vids of certain characters or starring certain players (such as your own) or hrc, btt, cm, etc.

edit: I think that for the problem of uploading more than one match it may be beneficial to provide more than one link to the same match, for instance at the bottom of the window that displays info on the match, you give them a youtube link, but if someone puts up the same exact vid with a different link then you can give them 2 in case one gets broke or the server is busy (one link is google vid, the other youtube for the same match) also....... what if for instance there is a match between ken and bombsoldier on FD from april 06 that lasts 2:30 and there happens to be a completely different match between them with the exact same search criteria. how could the nexus discriminate them and still block ppl from upping the same vid?

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
The VSN will not host a single video (unless I become rich and open up a dedicated server); it is merely a search engine to help find existing videos (mostly on YouTube and Google Video), so bandwidth will not be an issue. And yeah, I will create a thread in a much more open area (such as the 1v1 forum) when the time is right. I cannot do that until (1) the project is just about ready and (2) I can be sure I don't cause a conflict with Smashboards; the last thing I need is this huge project causing SWF to accuse me of robbing their traffic.

Yes, it will eventually support searches for combo vids and whatnot. My first priority is to index 1v1 and 2v2 matches so players can improve their skills. And yes, the database already supports multiple links to single matches (i.e. if one is on YouTube and the same match is on Google Video or whatnot). The problem I was addressing was people attempting to tag the same video unaware that it has already been indexed. Because of this, I need to implement some form of traffic control. When a tournament director releases a new dose of videos, it'd be bad if tons of tag-happy n00bs went and attempted to add the same dose. >_<

BooThunder, regarding your Ken/Bombsoldier example, as long as the URLs are different (which they should be provided they are different matches) then the newer similar match will be admitted into the database.

Elen

Smash Lord
For the ratings, you could have some sort of ratio between the average rating and the number of times rated to ammount to the total popularity. Just a thought. Secondly, it's quite important to me to have the date of a match marked. At least by month and year. I always like to know if I'm watching a video that's quite recent, or a few years old. (I prefer newer matches of course :p) If people don't know the dates of the video they're adding it's not a problem, but you should definetely add a feature allowing the date to be added to the info (and possibly searched for). As for duplicate videos, just make sure not to let any share the same name or URL. As long as videos are only hosted in one place, that should solve the problem, and if someone happens to upload a duplicate video from a different host, it's really not a big deal, and won't happen too often. So there's my 2 cents. Really can't wait for this.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
This is essentially my "final draft" of search results. That's a bit of a misnomer because I'm sure it'll change over the weeks, but until I get this thing released, this is more or less how it'll look (in search results, anyway).

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
YES! Very little remains before I can post the site up. I just completed the EDIT page. That was a hard section for me, but now it works.

Chip.

you know what to do
wow cool. This looks to be awesome.

This will be so useful in the upcoming months.

Great job, as always, Buzz :)

halfDemon

Smash Lord
I need the public's opinion on a couple matters (maybe I should make this thread in a more populated area).

First, I am having difficulty in pinning down a good rating system for matches and players. I'm toying around with the idea of using a system similar to Smashboards' former rep system (simple +reps and -reps) for a cumulative total (thereby promoting popularity and mass votes). I do not like the idea of 1 to 5 stars forming an average: a new vid with two 5-star votes would be ranked higher than an MLG tournament match with 400 votes with an average of 4.826 or something. If you have any thoughts, please share them.

Second, how important is the ability to mark the date of a particular match? Match sets will eventually have the ability to be grouped by event (tournaments), and those will definitely have a month/year tag. When you watch a match, do you sit there and wonder when the match happened? So far, I've placed all the emphasis on being able to search by characters, stages, players, etc.
I think that a rating system similar to the old rep system here would be fine.

That has crossed my mind, and I am open to ideas. My first impulse is to block an attempt to add a video if the database detects a duplicate URL. While it's not a perfect solution, it is the most accurate method I can come up with.

Suggestions?
Blocking duplicate URLs is a good idea, and you could always add a system where the users could flag a video as being a duplicate. And then something happens from there.

I would recommend reposting this in Melee Discussion for a lot more views and responses.

Top Bottom