• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

alphameric's mr. game & watch guide

alphameric

Smash Ace

So you want to play Game & Watch...
G&W is one of the harder characters to be consistently good with;
So get rid of your Falco hands, you have some hard learning to do.

CHANGE LOG
Added link section, added new links, fixed factual errors, added sweet spots/edge tech, added move frame data, added some stage info

Added ledging section, added more stage info

Added new link

Added to ledging section, turtledancing info, and buffed battlefield

Added bucket information

TABLE OF CONTENTS
INTRODUCTION
+the bad news
+the good news

THE MOVES
+ ground attacks
+ smash attacks
+ aerial attacks
+ special attacks
+ grabs
+ ledging

STAGES
+ final destination
+ dreamland 64
+ fountain of dreams
+ donkey kong 64
+ pokémon stadium
+ mute city
+ yoshi story
+ jungle japes
+ mushroom kingdom ii
+ battlefield
+ rainbow cruise
+ poké floats
+ brinstar
+ corneria
+ green greens

CHARACTER STRATEGIES

LINKS
+ nessbounders grip guide
+ judgment hammer mechanics
+ sdm's frame data
+ advanced smash techniques
+ smash compendium of knowledge
+ 56k's game & watch video thread

THE BAD NEWS
G&W is light.
Correction, G&W is pretty **** light. That, plus he's bouncy.
Now this can be good and bad, for example:
If you play against good falcons you are going to get d-thrown to knees quite a bit. However, he can be hard to predict since he isn't really a fast faller.

G&W has really crappy defense.
His shield blows, so you really need to master light shielding.
A really important thing to keep in mind is to wavedash away from attacks instead of shielding.
Try not to roll if you can help it, because his roll is pretty *** too.
It's short, slow, and really easy to chase. So keep that in mind when you are teching.

He also has a pretty obvious recovery pattern.
Using your up-b early might be a good idea to knock them off the ledge before they even get there, but whatever. On top of that 3 of his 5 aerials cannot be l-canceled (n, b, u)

If you live near anyone better than you at smash, you better start playing them with G&W asap.
In the beginning, you will probably lose. A lot.
Don't worry though, because once 'it' clicks, there will be hectic comboization.

THE GOOD NEWS
G&W has really awesome priority and some pretty sweet attacks.
His moves last for DAYS, so if you do things right you can anticipate everything your opponent will fall into.

ALL his smashes can be spammed. Even though they might come out a bit slow, if you time it perfectly and resmash. G&W won't even leave the smash stance, letting you spam to your hearts content. This is pretty awesome considering his f-smash is really long, and this will let you make it last even longer with minimal interruption.

His moves also have pretty good knockback and combo potential, but I'll get into that later.

Anyone considering to play G&W needs to learn how to l-cancel.
I don't mean needs like a rich needing a quarter, I mean
needs like a human needing oxygen to live. All his aerial attacks can't be canceled, except the f-air and d-air.
If you're in the habit of l-canceling all your aerials, do it anyways.

G&W has a pretty sweet wavedash and waveland. With that said, wavedash. Wavedash, wavedash, wavedash.
I try not to run unless I'm mindgaming, or plan on using the dash attack (or am I).
Simply put, G&W is loads faster if you wavedash and waveland. Not just in movement either;
The smash attacks will come out faster.
For example:
Running to f-smash is really slow, whereas wavedashing to f-smash is speedy and kinda luigi-esque.

Also, G&W has pretty good DI and air control. You need to master it.
If you don't know what that is, head down to the link section and click the appropriate guide.
G&W has another little trick in his bucket. Uncertainty.
Firstly, the Judgment Hammer; It's mostly good, so don't cry when you get a 1.
I'll be ****ed if there's actually a pattern for his throws, but since no one has discovered one, use that uncertainty to
your advantage. Even his presence is random, so don't be afraid to do some crazy crap when you get a chance to.

THE MOVES
The bread and butter of our little hero.
Gamey has a pretty decent moveset, but the G&W play style will take getting used to.
All his moves use a disjointed hitbox, so abuse that. Frame data is from SDM's database.

Before I go in depth, any commentary I put into each move is simply my own opinion and from my experience.

GROUND ATTACKS - GENERAL CONSENSUS
His ground attacks are awesome.
The knockback is there, and most of the attacks either set up for air, or chaining combos.

A - Greenhouse (2-3%)
Total Frames: 17
Hit: 4-6
IASA: 16
Window for next blast: 3-16

This move has pretty minimal knockback, but there's enough that it cant be done for very long.
If you get into his whatever speedpumping, theres some lag getting out it, so I use it for 1 puff at a time.
It's not really a move that you use on its own. You should be using this to chain combos and thats about it.

Dash-A -
Head butt (9%)

Total Frames: 37
Hit: 6-29

Like all dash attacks, only use them if you think you can get away with it.
The move has some combo potential, and pretty sweet priority (will usually clank anything).
If you plan on headbutting try hitting with the end of the attack, so you have minimal lag.

U-Tilt - Flag (9%)
Total Frames: 29
Hit: 9-29

This move is pretty **** awesome.
The priority this thing his is pretty nasty, and will stop essentially everything sans a Luigi n-air, or some well placed disjoints (ie: Ganon d-air). This move is realllllly good for chaining combos and for juggling.

Since the flag covers a huge arc above G&W, I use this quite a bit, and there's little anyone can do to stop it. It's quite useful for stopping people from getting back on the stage, since you just hit them with it then leap into a parachute.

F-Tilt - Chair (10%)
Total Frames: 44
Hit: 13-30
IASA: 42

Think of this move as the mini f-smash, because that's exactly what it is. It lasts for days.
The move lasts as long as the f-smash, however the knock back is constant. I would suggest using this if you want to create some space or edge-gaurd. It doesn't have the KO power of the f-smash though.
Not a bad move, just a bit situational.
Thanks to JCaesar007 for the clarification.

D-Tilt - Manhole (12%)
Total Frames: 29
Hit: 6-13
IASA: 26

Learn to love this move. It is the cornerstone of all Game & Watchery.
It has perfect knockback; Straight up on ground target, or diagonally out on an air target.

This move is really spammable, so abuse it. Use it as a ledgegaurd. Annoy people. Be careful of people tanking it.

SMASH ATTACKS - GENERAL CONSENSUS
The glorious smash attacks.
These things last for days, good or bad. They are all strong, but can be really situational.

ALL THE SMASHES CAN BE SPAMMED IF TIMED CORRECTLY

If it's done correctly G&W won't leave his smash stance and will just keep going. The same thing goes for taunting out of smashes.

F-Smash - Torch (17-24%)
Charge Frame: 8
Hit: 13-33
IASA: 42

The standard and most versatile smash.
Does excellent damage and awesome knock back on its opening frames.
This move stays our for a loong time, so it's ideal for almost any situation.

D-Smash - Dual Hammers (10-20%)

Total Frames: 34
Charge Frame: 8
Hit: 15-19

Now a lot of people bad mouth this move, and I can see why.
It's got slow startup, and the manhole is usually a better choice.

Let me tell you why I like it:
▪ It always sends the opponent up (when you tip) which is ideal for combos
▪ It can be wavedashed into tip range, plus the wavedash removes most of the startup lags penalties

This gem works well as a ledge guard against people at low percentages. AS LONG AS YOU TIP it will send people up.
For example, it is PERFECT for stopping anyone coming back from stage level and below.
Just tip, then parachute them out to death. I'm sure you could just manhole, but that doesn't always work. Plus, it's a good idea to mix it up.

U-Smash - Scuba Helmet (18-24%)
Charge Frame: 18
Hit: 24-28
Head (but not nose) invincible: 24-28
IASA: 40

This move does quite a bit of damage and knockback. Too bad it's slow as hell.
I would only use this on characters (preferably light) who are COMPLETELY defenseless. So anyone up-b recovering over the ledge.

AERIAL ATTACKS - GENERAL CONSENSUS
Sweet, sweet G&W. His air game is glorious.
The f-air is combo glory when l-canceled, the n-air is a huge chute of death, the d-air is multi-hitting spike of doom, and b-air is defense/combolicious. The u-air.. well it can juggle, but why juggle when you can KILL! Edge-canceling is extremely useful since 3 attacks can't be l-canceled. An edge-canceled attack is ridiculously faster than any l-canceled move allowing for some sweet combos that normally aren't possible.

N-Air - Parachute of Awesome (16%)
Hit: 20-29
Auto cancel: <2
Land lag: 15
L-canceled: CAN’T

THIS DOES NOT SLOW YOU DOWN!
What it does do is kill stuff really fast. The knock back and hitbox on this thing is unfair. It protects G&W from above, but will still hit from below.
Try not to do this move on it's own. Use it in a combo, or as a ledge guard.

It is ESPECIALLY satisfying to jump out as far as you can, JUST to completely own some random spanimal trying to recover.

Be wary of the startup lag though; The 'chute needs to be out completely before it does any damage.

F-Air - Credit Card (16%)

Hit: 10-32
Auto cancel: <2
Land lag: 25
L-canceled: 12

I don't care what you call it, just l-cancel it. This move is possibly G&W's most usable move, and therefore best (imo).
It has good damage, sweet knock back, and when it's l-canceled; minimal lag.
You can chain these things so easily, so you better do that a lot.

B-Air - The Turtle (9-14%)
Total Frames: 39
Hit: 10-21
Auto cancel: <9
Land lag: 18
Landing hit hits on frame 1

Ah yes, the turtle. Good move.
I like hitting people with the end of it because then I have minimal lag, and maximum time to parachute or u-tilt.
It's a multi-hit move, and it cannot be l-canceled, so TRY to only use it on airborne enemies, that way you don't get shieldgrabbed. If I see anyone using this on shielding climbers, I'm going to slap you in the face.

There is also turtle-dancing. My interpretation of this is when you use the turtle consecutive times in such a way that the opponent is not in range to hit or grab you. In my experience it works well against Jigglypuff.

U-Air - More Greenhouse (7-14%)

Hit: 7-16, 21-22
Auto cancel: <6
Land lag: 18

Augh, I'm not really a fan of this move.
Yes you can use it to juggle, but the hitbox isn't ideal, and it can't be l-canceled.
Aside from those things it's not too bad. First hit stuns, second hit knocks back. The knockback is pretty good, so if you have to hit someone with only one puff, make it the second.

You might want to short hop it. If you're quick you can get out the flag and start comboing. Keep in mind that only the first puff will work when you shorthop.

Also, while the move isn't too great on its own, you can full jump it and have time to second jump another move to go with it.

D-Air - Key of Glory (~13%)
Total Frames: 49
Hit: 12-38
Auto cancel: <5
Land lag: 20
L-canceled: 10

Ground hit hits on first 2 frames
Use and abuse this move. It hits twice (1 in air, 1 in ground) AND it spikes when done in the opening frames.
SHFFL this move to your hearts content, but be aware that it can be shield-grabbed if you become really predictable. Try to l-cancel this as much as possible since G&W is pretty exposed without doing so.

SPECIAL ATTACKS - GENERAL CONSENSUS
Lets be honest here, G&W doesn't really have the BEST specials, but they are pretty fun to use.

B - Chef (3% (Bacon), 9% (Pan))
1st sausage release: 18
Pan hits: 18-21
Window for next B hit: 20-34
Last frame: 49
B hit sets to frame 3
A Sausage lasts 80 frames or until it lands.

The glory of Game & Watch. The bacon can be used as a simple mindgame, though I don't suggest it.
What I DO suggest is using it as a ledge guard. Spam it against people level or below the stage, or fire a couple at people coming from above.

The starting arc of the bacon never really changes, so use that to your advantage. Watch the bacon, if you can tell it's going to hit, jump out after it and use a f-air or n-air on that fool.
For people coming from below; if you are fortunate and your opponent misses the sweetspot, thus hitting bacon, f-smash him.

OBVIOUSLY there's the pan spike. You can be on the stage and scald them with your pan, OR be badass and leap out and send them down in a blaze of greasy fat and humiliation.
The pan spike is really tricky to use, so if you plan on doing it a lot, get used to missing once in a while.

Oh, and this move cancels jumps, so you can auto-shorthop under people and burn them.

Forward-B - Judgment Hammer
Total Frames: 49
Hit: 16-29
9 has a slightly smaller hitbox

Ah yes, the hammer. Now it's usually hit or miss.
The only real BAD thing is the 1, everything else is a variation of luck or something else.
The hammers last for a pretty long time so don't be afraid to recover with it (near a ledge) or fall with it.

Here's the lowdown:
1 - Dud (12% to you, and 2% to your opponent)
The thing that makes the 1 worse is that you get 12% even if you hit nobody.

2 - Normal (3%)
Just a regular hammer that does 3% damage and minimal knock back.

3 - Reverse (5%)
Now this hammer is okay. Some people don't like it, but I'm always anticipating it. This hammer will probably throw your opponent off guard, allowing you to start comboing.

4 - Normal+ (7%)
Just a regular hammer that does 7% damage and a bit knock back than the 2.

5 - Electricity (10%)
This hammer has no knock back, but some decent damage and some good stun time.

6 - Flaming Glory (12%)
I love the 6. The knock back is great, and it acts like a spike. What's not to love?

7 - Normal++ (14%)
Just a regular hammer that does 14% damage and a bit knock back than the 4.
HOWEVER, if (for whatever reason) you are playing with items, not only will I come slap you, but some food will appear.

8 - Deep Freeze (3%)
This hammer basically stuns, that's about it. It has vertical knock back, but that depends on the percentage and weight of the opponent.

9 - BONK ON THE HEAD (31%)
Hope for this one. It is the most fearsome move in the game since it usually results in a KO.
Since the Judgment Hammer is covered extensively elsewhere, here's a quote from that thread

1. The first hammer in a match cannot be a 1 or 2.
2. The second hammer in a match cannot be a 2.
3. Any number the hammer displays cannot be obtained again until after 2 more hammers.
4. A death (fall or SD) will reset the rules currently applied to #3.

- As long as the hammer animation starts, it will count as the next number
Note: may not be version 00 applicable
Down-B - Oil Panic (Unlimited Damage)
Total Frames (minimum): 49
Starts absorbing: 5
Hit: 2-37
If you keep holding, it loops from frames 5-37. When you release, it keeps up until the loop runs out.
When it stops "catching", 12 frames of lag.
When a projectile is caught, 25 frames of invincibility, then the loop starts again.

Well.. not unlimited. The thing about this move is that it's completely useless unless you catch 3 energy projectiles.
After you have 3, G&W will spew out a 3 hit melee attack that will do damage depending on what was caught.

Couple things to keep in mind; Jumping and releasing has less effect than standing and releasing.

Be careful with this one; Though you can catch lasers and stuff, the lag is really bad. I suggest tapping down-b to bring it out, since it'll be out for a while and you don't want it out any longer than that.

You can use it to stall in the air if you want, but it's not recommended since someone will probably come and kill you when you try and put it away.

Speaking of getting killed, if you catch anything, it stays with you even after you die.

ALSO, if (for whatever reason) you want to keep it out long, you don't need to hold down-b, just bring it out with down-b, then just hold b. Doing that will make sure you don't turn around (which is really bad).

Basically, if you are playing a Samus or some ****, you better catch those blasts, since 3 full ones will usually result in a KO if you hit the panic. Same thing goes for Zeldas fireballs.

Here are a couple lists regarding stuff you can and cannot catch in the bucket:
YOU CAN'T BUCKET
▪ Samus' missiles and mines
▪ Anything from Peach
▪ Anything from Link or Y.Link
▪ Sheiks broken needles
▪ Yoshis eggs
▪ Ness' pk fire**
▪ Mewtwos forward throw**
▪ GAWs oil panic

YOU CAN BUCKET
▪ Doc/Mario/Luigi's pills/fireballs
▪ Bowser's fire
▪ Falco/Foxes lasers
▪ Ness' pk flash/thunder
▪ IC ice blocks
▪ Samus' charge shot
▪ Zelda's fireball
▪ Pichu/Pikachus thunder and projectile thing
▪ Mewtwos shadowball
▪ Kirbys final cutter shockwave
▪ GAWs bacon

**not entirely sure, too lazy to check
Up-B - Fireman (6%)
Hit: 1-37
Land lag: 40
Land fall special lag: 6

Not really an attack, but more of a recovery thing. It has HUGE vertical recovery as well as a sweetspot.
You can combo light people like Luigi with it, but it can be risky.

GRABS - GENERAL CONSENSUS

I'm not really going to go in depth here since nessbounder already has made a sweet gripping guide.
With that said, G&W has pretty good grabs.
They're random, so mix it up and your opponent won't know which way you're going to hurl him.
His throws almost always result in combo openings, so keep on your toes and start f-air/n-airing.
Also, his juggle animation is faster/slower depending on the weight of your opponent.

Grab-A - Bell (3%)
This is your standard bell whacking. Nothing special, just whack and toss.

F-Throw - Juggle (8%)

Standard forward throw.

B-Throw - Juggle (8%)
Standard backward throw.

U-Throw - Juggle (8%)

Standard upward throw. This thing chaingrabs pretty well, so make use of it.

D-Throw - Juggle (8%)

Standard downward throw.
First things first, this throw gets DI'd the easiest, so only use it if the opponent is at a low percentage.

Here's a handy little tip for playing fastfallers; When they are 0-15%, d-throw then immediately grab again.
Instant chaingrab and an easy 16% (at least).

LEDGING - GENERAL CONSENSUS

Ledging refers to everything that happens on the ledge. Luckily for us G&W has pretty decent ledge guarding abilities, because the rest isn't that spectacular.

Ledge Guarding

You have a couple of options when it comes to this.
Theres the standard reverse wavedash to ledge grab, as well as some variants of that.

There are the cooler methods to ledge guard:
D-Tilt works wonders on the ledge, and it should be the instant choice for guarding against people coming horizontally, or vertically from below.
If someone is coming from above, then a parachute or flag should do the job.
If you are playing a lightweight (Luigi/Pichu etc) that overshoots the ledge and ends up above the stage, then a u-smash will deal sufficient punishment.

For something flashier, you could try leaping out and meeting the would be survivor with a huge parachute/f-air. If you are feeling even FLASHIER try your skill with a pan-spike or d-air meteor spike. Don't forget you can do pan-spikes from standing on the ledge as well. They're not as badass, but they're pretty sweet too.

If you are guarding against someone thats coming from below the stage, and is not at a deathly percentage yet; d-smash them. The d-smash works well against Foxes and Falcos because when it's timed correctly it will stop their firewhatever/phantasm's. The d-smash will send them right up into prime parachute, or u-tilting height.

Recovery
G&W has a pretty decent recovery game.
The only problem is that he can become predictable, then easy to stop.

If you are looking for info on sweet spots, scroll down to the stage section

Luckily, G&W has a some sweet magnet hands after doing his up-b. If you don't use your up-b then you need to be slightly above the ledge in order to grab it. This is especially true coming out of an air-dodge, since G&W will have a bad case of Yoshi hands.

If you can help it, try and mix up your recovery by purposely overshooting, or airdodging onto the stage, or even attacking. If you are high enough of the ledge spamming bacon works pretty well. Other than that any other aerial would do, just be aware of the lag.

Getting Off The Ledge
Once you're on the ledge there are a couple methods you could use to get back onto the stage.
I'm not talking about any trickery or whatever on the ledge, but actually getting onto the stage.
I'm going to break the methods up into two distinct behaviors; aggressive and defensive.
AGGRESSIVE
These methods involve some sort of attack to get onto the stage. The objective is to hit your opponent away on your way so that you can land (somewhat) safely.

The first method is probably the most widely used. Of course it's the f-air. This attack has the priority and disjoint to knock back most opponents, however you are not protected from above; meaning knees and such will send you right back over the ledge.

That lack of protection brings me to the second method, the u-air. Now by this point you should know that this move cannot be l-canceled, so there is the slight lag issue. The purpose for using this attack as a ledge hop is to stun and/or knock the enemy out of the way so that you can live some more. This method works surprisingly well despite the obvious move lag. U-air to u-tilt works pretty well in this situation.

The b-air and n-air can also be used, but at you're own discretion. Most people are fast enough to see the moves coming out and can put a stop to them before they are in danger.

The last method is really situational and should really only be used if you plan on going back to the ledge or are playing against a floaty character / someone with really high percent. I am talking about the up-b. Of course there are varying heights that you can use it at, but if you are playing anyone with some skill, the end result will probably be you getting killed.

DEFENSIVE
These methods are for getting on the stage first, and attacking second. The objective is for you to be safe on the stage and maybe cause some slight damage.

There aren't really many methods. There are the basic climbing, rolling, attacking, as well as ledge dashing. Climbing is good for people you know are just out of range, nothing more. Attacking with the standard b attack is only good for people who are going to either be in move lag or unshielded when you hit them. Rolling should really not be used unless you have no choice. GAW has such a bad roll that it will probably get you hit again.

The best overall defensive method to get on stage is to ledge dash. This is basically when GAW wavelands onto the stage from the ledge. It can be a bit tricky, but the pros far outweigh the cons. For example, you get a shield if you do it right. This will also put you past people who are close to the edge allowing you to pivot grab or pivot smash or something. If it doesn't put you past people, but just in front, grab or roll/wavedash by.
STAGES
This is just a quick overview on the best and worst stages for G&W...
well my opinion of the best and worst.

For most of the stages, I have screengrabs.
These images act as a double guide, which means they serve two purposes.

● The final height after an up-b where the next frame results in a sweet spot
● The approximate distance from the ledge where you would press L/R to tech

FINAL DESTINATION

FD is a pretty safe choice against most opponents.

There are no platforms to 'get in the way', there is lots of breathing room, and most importantly a good skybox as well as a good ledge.

If you can, try not to play Falco here, because those lasers are pretty lame.

DREAMLAND 64

Technically the best choice for a G&W player, but that really comes to personal preference.

DL64 has a gigantic skybox, so staying alive isn't really that difficult.
To add to the survival factor the sweet spot is awesome and easy to get.
The platforms are well spaced so getting tipped by Marth or whomever is a bit easier to avoid.

The only downside is the wind, which can throw you off (no johns).

FOUNTAIN OF DREAMS

I personally love this level.
It's got a good skybox, awesome sweet spot, and the stage is pretty good.

Abuse the platforms here; If anyone is going or coming from above, just u-tilt. The flag will go through most of the platforms' variable heights giving you juggling ability as well as added protection.

Just be wary about getting hit through the platforms by opposing disjointed hitboxes (ie: douchebag Marth).

DONKEY KONG 64

This stage should also be a G&W top choice.

The skybox is reasonably large, spacing is pretty good due to the platform and stage designs. The BEST part about this stage are the ledges.. or lack thereof. When recovering take full advantage of the stage. Shoot through the floor, overshoot the upper platform, go THROUGH the sweet spot and onto the platform or just plain ledge it.

The only downsides are that the barrel can be a bit annoying if you don't watch it. I can't remember how many times I'd just start recovering when I get captured by the barrel, then fired downwards since I just started to hit my buttons.
Another thing is that if you become obvious with your recovery patterns, then you can get spiked through the floor before you even get onto the stage.

Also, chain-grabbing can be a bit easier for you and your opponent due to the slope on the stage.

POKÉMON STADIUM

This stage is pretty varied (obviously).

The skybox is decent, there's breathing room (element dependent), and the platforms are pretty good. If you are new to the stage then the ledge may be a bit tricky, but it's still pretty good overall.

The default stage is ok, but watch out for the spam artists.

The fire stage is probably the worst for G&W since movement is confined and once you start getting hit, chances are you'll be getting comboed severely.

The rock stage is similar to the fire stage, but you can camp out in the whole and just spam your flag.

The jungle stage is probably the best stage for G&W. The platforms are there to save you when you're in trouble and the playing field is relatively flat. A couple things to use to your advantage; The tree can cloak your judgment hammer for hidden glory, and the edge of the grass will tilt your attacks downwards for better ledge guarding.

The water (windmill) stage is also a pretty good one. No particular reason other than G&W can't be comboed as easily since you can tech everywhere

MUTE CITY

The track is really hit or miss. It all depends on who you are playing against.
The ceiling is a bit lower than one would prefer, but the sides are pretty wide.

The obvious disadvantages are that there are no ledges.
This makes ledge guarding a bit easier for you, but coming back can be tricky. When recovering try to go THROUGH the road instead of the edge.
If you're coming back when the cars are going through; don't be afraid to recover so you barely get through the road so a car will hit you. The car will probably save you from being spiked.
Now those cars can be a REAL *****. If you are unfortunate enough, they will combo you into a roadkill. Even worse is that they can **** your shield.

YOSHI STORY

The tiny island is another stage that can go both ways.

The skybox is really small so either you or your opponent is going to die really fast.
The sweet spot is a bit difficult since you MUST come from an angle or you will really risk dying.
Watch out for that cloud; It can save or **** you up. It really blows when you get the cloud when you meant to get the ledge, because you'll just get slain due to the land lag.

Stay as close as possible to your opponent and keep the pressure on.
Use the u-tilt as much as you can since it can go through the platforms. Also, don't be afraid to leap out with a parachute. The stage is really small so that will probably result in a kill.

JUNGLE JAPES

Ah yes, the japes.

Firstly, I'd like to say not to bother trying to sweet spot because it's either impossible (someone prove me wrong) or REALLY **** HARD.

The reason? We'll theres a couple:
▪ You will probably get taken away by the river since the floor is really low
▪ You might get hit by a clap trap
▪ The river will probably move you under or away from the desired platform
▪ The up-b has too much vertical and overshoots the ledge.

The latter is probably the case.
You CAN do some trickery by jumping into the river then leaping out on the other side of the level. It takes some timing but it can be done.

Anyways, there is plenty of breathing room. If you NEED to, you can just hop on a tower and spam bacon. It won't protect you for long but it might give you time to collect yourself.. or taunt.

The skybox is pretty good here. The floor is really close, but other than that its pretty good.

MUSHROOM KINGDOM II

I'm not sure why people john this level. I'd even go so far as to saying I like it.

The skybox is decent (as long as you don't go sideways), there's plenty of room to tech, and the parachute kills easily.

There are a couple things to keep in mind:
▪ DON'T GET THROWN OFF
▪ Catch the eggs if you can. Make an extra effort to catch the single ones since they do the most damage.
▪ DON'T GET THROWN OFF
▪ Manhole / Grab -> Parachute / F-Air works very well here

BATTLEFIELD

This is a neutral stage simply because the skybox is not very big, the ledge BLOWS and the sweet spot is really tricky to get. However, comboing people here can be easier due to the stationary platforms which allow for edge-canceling.

The actual stage area is a bit small, and the platforms are only good for keying through.
If you are playing a Marth or someone else with lots of range; keep moving, because if you stop, you will get tipped.

The sweet spot is really tricky to get.
You need to be on the verge of death and roughly the width of G&W away from the ledge. I suggest practicing that as much as you can.

RAINBOW CRUISE

This is the worst ****ing cruise ever. This level really blows for G&W.

If you are unlucky enough to end up BELOW your opponent when the level is moving, consider your stock wasted. The disadvantage/lag you will get from recovering will get you killed so fast, it's not even funny.

I suggest you play this level as much as you can; that way you will learn the kinks and annoying timing of the platforms' appearances/disappearances.

Keep your opponent to the edges of the stage. If they're percentage is anywhere from 40-70%, a parachute or f-air will probably kill them. Just do that a lot.

Also, there are ledges everywhere on this stage (mainly where the blocks fall).

POKÉ FLOATS

The floats aren't G&W friendly.

Even though G&W has some fantastic air game, there is too much here.
The skybox is really small so expect to die quickly unless you make professional use out of the many tech areas.

The stage movement doesn't help either. On many occasions it exposes G&W, so if you are playing anyone skilled, be careful. Keep in mind there are no ledges.

BRINSTAR

Brinstar isn't really a BAD level in its own right. It's a less than ideal level for G&W.

The skybox is pretty good (horizontally), as is the stage layout and recovery ability.
The sweet spot is good when accessible, but it isn't too necessary since you can go through the stage. Keep in mind, when the level is split, there are no ledges in gap.

The main problem with this locale is the lava.
It will either get you killed, or save your ***. Probably both.
Chances are, you will spend much time in the hot fires of Brinstar then live to tell about it, but at that point you'll probably be around 100%, which is killing range.

Don't forget to use the lava to your advantage though. You can spike people into it, at which point they will either go through it and die, or come back up for your awaiting parachute/f-air.
Also, if you play any fast fallers here (ie: Falco) put them in the lava.

CORNERIA

This isn't an ideal stage for G&W.

The skybox is really bad, and the hazards can really mess you up if you aren't prepared.
The best bet is to get to the corner in the back and duke it out there.
That way you have somewhere to tech and get quick parachute kills.

The sweet spots are pretty good here, but be careful not to get ship comboed at the front of the thing.
If you about to fall into the huge ship blast, you had better bucket.
Also, if you cant make the ledge in the front, head for the gun. Once there you can either try your luck for the ledge or glitch through the neck of ship when using your up-b.
I am not sure if the glitch is legal or not.

If you see Slippy or the others coming for a strafing run, to try get away from your opponent and whip out the bucket so you can catch the shots. They pack quite a punch.
Just watch out for the ships flying with the great fox, since they can KO you vertically if you aren't careful.

GREEN GREENS

Even though this level is not very good for G&W technically, I still have fun on it.

The ceiling and sides are really close in, but the floor is way down there making for good sweet spotting.
Don't be afraid to sweet spot in the box areas, because if you are doing it correctly, you will grab the ledge even if you hit a bomb.

Other than the obvious warning to watch your head, watch out for the apples too since an exploding one could kill you depending on your percentage.

Another thing is box teching. People seem to forget this life-saving gimmick.
TECH THE BOXES!

CHARACTER STRATEGIES
Will write depending guide response, and when I have more definitive information.

LINKS
Here are a collection of interesting links that may have been referenced during guide. These will help you further understand the mechanics of G&W.

NESSBOUNDERS GRIP GUIDE ▪ LINK
This guide is basically the complete guide to chain-grabbing with Game & Watch.
Read it if you want to have any chance against spanimals.

JUDGMENT MECHANICS STUDY ▪ LINK
Not exactly a guide, but more of an informational thread regarding the fearsome Judgment Hammer.
You don't need to read it, but I suggest you do.

SDM'S FRAME DATA ▪ LINK
SuperDoodleMan compiled this awesome frame data for every character in the game. If you want to be really technical, read it. It may even give you a leg up when it comes to fighting against your opponents.
You need a program that can open spreadsheet files in order to view the data. However, I might put them up on google spreadsheets with sdm's permission.

ADVANCED SMASH TECHNIQUES ▪ LINK
This guide is pretty much the goto place if you need to learn the general lowdown on teching, DI, Smash DI, C-Stick DI, and crouch canceling. READ IT

COMPENDIUM OF KNOWLEDGE ▪ LINK
This is exactly what the title states. It's a collection of all the terms and some quick 'n' dirty how-to's regarding smash. If you are new to smash, or just want to brush up, read this.

56K'S GAME & WATCH VIDEO THREAD ▪ LINK
56k has compiled a list of most of the G&W videos available. If there's a match you're looking for or want to add, check it out.

That's about it for now.
If you want me to cover anything else, let me know and I'll write it up :)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
It's a very good start but I don't understand why you said that bair cannot be L-canceled, I thought any move can be L-canceled :confused:

I'll like to see some combo information (most used combos and what works best against each character)

Match ups, hmm you should do it against spacies first.

PDOT

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4871-5506-0357
Bair/Nair and Uair cannot be L-cancled with G&W..

alphameric

Smash Ace
N-Air has yet to be determined if it can be l-canceled.
I suggest l-canceling anyways so you don't lose the habit.

I will be adding alot more to this guide.
Think of this as the skeleton for copious amounts of info.

Pasqual

Smash Journeyman
Re: the Judgment Mechanics info, might want to mention that it's not Version 00 applicable or whatever to the quote.

Good use of bolds/colors to make the guide both look better and make finding things easier. Maybe color code the Table of Contents version of each section name to the color used at the beginning of each actual section?

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Yeah it can. I personally use G+W as a counter to Mute City and most Peaches, as well in team battles and friendlies, and I can say it CAN and SHOULD always be l-cancelled.
Nair can NOT be L-canceled. Nair has a landing lag of 15 frames. If you try to L-cancel Nair, it still has a landing lag of 15 frames.

Oskurito, check out the G&W video thread I made :)

Oskurito

Smash Lord
Nair can NOT be L-canceled. Nair has a landing lag of 15 frames. If you try to L-cancel Nair, it still has a landing lag of 15 frames.

Oskurito, check out the G&W video thread I made :)
:O Give me the link please

Umpy

Smash Apprentice
this guide is very awesome the color coding and the text is very well done...I am very thankful for this guide

JCaesar

Smash Hero
NNID
JCaesar
Ftilt is not faster than Fsmash, they actually come out on the same frame (look at Hyuga's link). In fact, both moves take the exact same number of frames, but Fsmash does damage for 3 more frames. The only advantage that Ftilt has over Fsmash is that the damage/knockback doesn't fade as quickly (i.e. it's still decent if it hits at the very end), whereas Fsmash fades pretty fast and does almost nothing at the end, and also i think the hitbox for Ftilt is slightly bigger.

DireVulcan

Smash Lord
Probably the prettiest guide period.

Well done.

If you want a better guide on how to win with GaW, just stare at my sig for a few hours.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Just a comment about Yoshi's Story...you can get very easy kills by knocking the opponent off the stage, then jumping (preferably from the side platforms because they're higher) out and hitting them with a fair, then second-jumping and hitting them with another fair. This will usually kill them because they'll be so close to the death wall. You will easily be able to make it back with an up B. That's why I suggest jumping from the side platforms because you'll have more room up B back to the stage. Try to move closer to the deathwall with each jump. The further from the stage they are, the better.

In other words:

A double fair off the stage can grant you some fast kills on Yoshi's story. :)

This probably applies to a lot of other stages, but it's definitely most effective here. After the second fair there's usually no time to recover before they get send past the deathwall and die.

alphameric

Smash Ace
Probably the prettiest guide period.
Well done.

If you want a better guide on how to win with GaW, just stare at my sig for a few hours.
lmao
key -> backthrow -> nine, got it

Just a comment about Yoshi's Story...
I have a similar method starting from one side of the stage to the opposite death wall.
I f-air once so they are around height of the opposite platform, then f-air them again off the stage (i land on the platform), then i jump off the stage and meet them with another f-air or parachute (depending on their height/distance).

that works pretty well too.
double f-airs way off the stage is a bit overkill imo, and if your opponent sees what you are doing, then they could just sd and kill you before you even get back to the stage.
It's a risky proposition :p

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
It's not as risky as it seems, especially on Yoshi's Story. Heck maybe it is, I just came up with it this week but I haven't experienced any problems yet. After getting shinespiked, dair-knee'd, [anything by Marth and Sheik]'d, and shine combo'd all over the place, I have no problem with overkilling my opponents. :grin: I need all I can get.

__HARM__

Smash Journeyman
sweet guide, i am picking him up because it looks like he can do some bad*** stuff to falco.

[_-T4RN1SH-_]

Smash Journeyman
Awesomeness, im glad there is a guide back up for G&W seeing as how the other one kinda died or just got erased. Anywho nice job i'll be coming back here to show my friend why and what happens when something he trys to hit me with doesnt do it and i end up hitting him and or K.Oing him.

QERB

Banned via Warnings
awesome guide, brinstar depths is a very good stage for gw according to dire vulcan...even though it's pretty much never legal heh.

alphameric

Smash Ace
I guess you could leave brinstar to personal preference then.
It has potential to be a really good gaw stage, but the lava and often small spaces ruin it for him.

ShadowJokerX

Smash Rookie
i think u post about the turtle dance technique ive heard about it but cant find any info on it.

j00t

Smash Champion
Character matchups plz? It would be helpful if you added only those that GnW has a pretty even match with, because i'm pretty sure we all know the ones he doesn't stand a chance in.

Top Bottom