• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash Hall of Fame

HugS

Smash Champion
Southern California (818) San fernando valley
I was watching poker on TV the other day and noticed that they had a hall of fame.
I then realized that baseball, football, basketball, rock n roll, and various other subjects of importance had their own hall of fame.

Ours is a community that has evolved over the years into one of the largest and unique competitive console gaming communites in existence. And after what we have gone through, I believe we deserve a Hall of Fame, even if it starts as humbly as this.

As for the process of deciding who makes the Hall of Fame. I propose the following:

1. The main criteria for being inducted would be time. I propose that a minimum of 3 years (after the initial major accomplishment/contribution) must go by before a player can be considered.

2. I propose that new inductees be announced once a year. *

3. A large panel should be assembled in order to decide who is inducted *. But the panel should not decide who is nominated.

4. To be nominated, a person must recieve a minimum of 10 nominations from the community in order to then be considered by the panel. * I propose we use a ballot type format to do this.

5. I propose that a maximum of 5 players be inducted each year to keep the title a prestigious one.

6. To ensure that older smashers are not forgotten, a minimum of 2 people who's initial contributions/accomplishments took place a minimum of 4 years ago must be nominated on a ballot. (I feel the number of years should increase once we get more years into our community)

*I feel that these rules need to be discussed before anything can begin. I'm asking for these rules to be scrutinized on a basis of time, size, quality of persons, etc etc. I am putting this in here because I would like to have discussion take place on the process. I'd also like to see if anyone thinks this is a venture we should go into.

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
6. To ensure that older smashers are not forgotten, a minimum of 2 people who's initial contributions/accomplishments took place a minimum of 4 years ago must be nominated on a ballot. (I feel the number of years should increase once we get more years into our community)
Wouldn't it also be fitting if there were a minimum of #x currently retired smashers to be inducted per year, or another means of ensuring honoring retired yet influential smashers?

IK_GOST

Smash Ace
all i know is that if im not on the hall of fame for being me im def gonna poop on someone. The dildo guarantees my hall of fame status

Kimosabae

Smash Journeyman
SynikaL is most technical Melee player.

That is all.

-SynikaL
(that guy was amazing)

HugS

Smash Champion
This isn't a thread to nominate people but to discuss the process.

As for getting the older players in, i think the forced nominations will do. To actually force the panel to induct classic players each time, i think that'd be pushing it.

And keep in mind, there are many people who are guaranteed a spot, the issue is when. I think 5 per year seems like a good number. So some greats will make it on later. Unless you guys think 5 is too small.

And I'm guessing that most people feel that the backroom should decide the nominations?

Grey Fox

Smash Journeyman
This isn't a thread to nominate people but to discuss the process.
Oh alright sry about my earlier post.
This is a good idea and i know the more people that find out will be sure to make this happen lets hope this goes well.
GOOD LUCK!

phish-it

Smash Champion
You don't need to limit yourself to X number of people per year, hell if they deserve the spot then there's no reason why they shouldn't be added.

IK_GOST

Smash Ace
I nominate hova for his memorable laugh @ eddie during FC.

That **** was the best laugh i ever heard LOL. ALl u heard eddie say was "***" THEN silence......then a HEEHEEHEHEHEHAHAHAHAHAHA

FC MOMENT #1 belongs to HOVA!

YO HOVA WE TAKING OUT THESE ****** IN A SUMO CONTEsT! Get ready papa cuz we doing the **** thing!

nealdt

BRoomer
BRoomer
All hall of fame-style lists only accept retired players as nominees. Are you going to follow that trend, Hugo?

AOB

Bad command or file name
BRoomer
I dunno, how is this going to work out without causing a whole bunch of argument? Seems too contentious to me.

5 people per year is nothing. 2 years from now, very few people will probably be playing Melee--no need to wait that long to have 15 people on the list.

4 years for older players? Wow. I'm pretty darn old, and I went to my first tournament 4 years ago.

Jeffz0r

Smash Champion
All hall of fame-style lists only accept retired players as nominees. Are you going to follow that trend, Hugo?
So when retired players which are in the hall of fame make a comeback to the game, they should be thrown out of the hall of fame? XD

Cherokee Warrior

Smash Ace
you should also have, like, places for greatest accomplishments, not just overall good players.

for example, killaor would be instantly in for playing hte quickest game, like a base ball player does for most home runs or something

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
off the top of my head

Matt Deezie: Tournametn Go franchise
Recipherous: Don't remember specific tournaments but he use to dominate
Azen: you could use winning TG 6, and he is technically retired.
Ken: Winning TG 4/5/MLG 2004 champion/mlg 2005 champion/has only lost like 12 tournaments ever

HugS

Smash Champion
Well neal, the rock n roll hall of fame has tons of artists that are still performing. And if you want a hall of fame more closely related to smash, the poker hall of fame has many players still competing.

In athletics it would make more sense to have retired players, since you are prone to retire when you put your body through so much. Smash is different.

I dunno, how is this going to work out without causing a whole bunch of argument? Seems too contentious to me.

5 people per year is nothing. 2 years from now, very few people will probably be playing Melee--no need to wait that long to have 15 people on the list.

4 years for older players? Wow. I'm pretty darn old, and I went to my first tournament 4 years ago.
I don't see this having many arguments. This wouldn't be nearly as subjective as a power ranking project would. This is a good way to honor some of our greatest players and contributors, and I don't think people will ***** when they see that someone like Azen was honored before a player of their choice. The choices the panel makes will be much easier to understand.

And about the amount of people per year, Perhaps 5 is too small, but I've heard the whole "smash will die" argument for about 4 years now.
Let's get over it people, the community will survive for the coming years, without a doubt. Pessimism was only cool in 2005.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
ill be darned if im going to tourneys in 2 years much less next year. its a nifty idea nonetheless. people definitely deserve the recognition not just for being insanely skilled, but also their contribution to furthering and spreading the community.

theONEjanitor

Smash Champion
NNID
the1janitor
why not, just make it.
Start a website.
Get some respected heads and just do it.
it could be unofficial at first, but i'm sure swf will support it once they see its popular.
as for people getting upset, whatever the only people that will get upset are people who don't matter

Lanowen

BRoomer
BRoomer
1-2 people a month may get kinda much, because sometime everyone worth being on the list would be on the list.

I don't think a limit should be placed, I think people should just be inducted when ever according to their contribution to the smash scene/whatever.

Sliq

Smash Master
I think this is a dandy-doodle of a good idea, and I know a thing or two about good ideas.

*Family Guy flashback*

HugS

Smash Champion
Well that seems like a nifty comprimise husband. Not once a month, but how about a max of 5 people per 3 months.

Once a month would seem unimportant, and 3 months is long enough for people to be interested in who is going in.

and I guarantee that g-reg will be going to tournies next year.

hova

Smash Champion
i once gave husband + chillin piggy back rides and picked up watty, all in the same day

does that solidify my spot?

araknophobik

Smash Master
for best samus i say we nominate Wes and Oro
i heard there was some pink suited samus somewhere in cali that did decent in tournaments, but i dont think he's worth mentioning ^_^

Neo should def be on the first ballet though, he is officially retired
Oh yeah and Mike G, best peach to ever grace the earth ^_^

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
I say, two people a month. Then, whenever Brawl comes out this year, cut down on the number of entrants until the Brawl scene gets moving, and slowly integrate that in.

As for the criteria, I really think it should follow pretty much along the lines you laid down. It seems good to have the general public nominate, the people that really know smash history and players winnow out the bad/prank ones, and have the more respected members vote to see who gets inducted first. Then make a Hall of Fame thread with each member having a post dedicated to them and what they did with videos, bio, all the good stuff.

Top Bottom