• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

RST Issue 3: Shield Tumbling, Bomb Dropping, and Turnip Sex

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Random Smash Tidbits
Volume 1 - Issue 3

For this issue I’ll discuss different techniques that may help keep you alive or confuse your opponent during certain points in a match, mainly during those invincibility frames. The art of surviving those 2 long seconds of invincibility your opponent gets after dying takes a long time to develop. Often times surviving those crucial seconds can lead to big leads opening up—which is why I’m discussing some of the more obscure ways to aid your survival methods. Future issues may dwell more into ideas such as this over obscure techniques, but for now this will have do. Feel free to talk about or mention any other applications you have for these techniques.

Previous Issues
-RST: Issue 1
-RST: Issue 2

Tidbit #1: Shield Tumbling
Why is this a RST: Many people have unwittingly been witness to the effects of this technique when their opponent pushes them over a ledge while their shield is up. This will tell you how to do it without relying on your opponents incoming attack.

What it is: With most characters you can wavedash off the edge of a platform. If your holding your shield while your falling off the ledge then your character will go into an tumble. This tumble can be teched (though not on the stages I've tried, my guess is because your holding L/R to soon before hitting the ground, for those of you that don’t know if you hit L/R to early when trying to tech you will actually not be able to register L/R again for a certain number of frames, this is why it is NOT a good idea to spam L/R when trying to tech the ledge/ground/wall) and the result is you should be laying on the ground.

Uses: If you begin performing this technique just as your opponent respawns then it could help you confuse them, not to mention it is sometimes difficult to read how a person will roll after laying down.

Tidbit #2: Link and Young Link’s Bomb Drop
Why is this a RST: If you aren’t a Link or Young Link player you will probably not run into this often.

What it is: Pull out a bomb with either Link or Young Link. Short hop and Z-drop the bomb just before you land. If you do it correctly the bomb won’t explode and instead will just lie there, waiting to be picked up.

Uses: About two years ago I was playing SS4Ricky in Link versus Peach matches. During my respawn time he would drop about 3-4 bombs all over the level. Because I had turnips I didn’t bother picking his bombs up, something that would probably have occurred to me had I been playing another character. After a few matches he commented that it was good I didn’t waste my invincibility frames messing with the bombs. This little trick can help distract your opponent during their invincibility frames, which is always a good thing. Additionally if you have a bomb lying on the ground, you can launch it toward your opponent by Z-dropping another bomb or by hitting it.

Tidbit #3 Turnip Sex
Why is this a RST: It’s been around for awhile and most Peach players know about it, but after my little lesson from SS4Ricky I’ve tried to work it into my game in a few different ways, which I’ll share.

What it is: Toss (don’t throw) a turnip upwards. Pull out another turnip. When the first turnip is just above the ground, short hop and Z-drop the other turnip so they touch each other. If you do it correctly the two turnips will continue upwards until the first runs out of steam and the second falls to the ground (it will actually disappear just before it hits the ground). There are a few different iterations you can do, such as pulling out another turnip and Z-dropping it into the other two while they descend, creating 3 intersecting turnips. Or instead of Z-dropping, you can do an aerial down throw or forward/back throw into the falling turnip.

Uses: Aside from just taunting your opponent with your random turnip abilities, you can actually use this along side your edge guarding game. Few people remember that eventually one of the turnip returns (because the turnip will be in the air longer than expected), so if you time it right you can have this come down to help you edge guard the opponent. That’s in addition to other turnips you’re sure to throw up, down, and to the side. You can also use this during your opponent’s invincibility frames. Perform the technique just as they come down from their angelic state (yea, that’s what it’s called, it’s a bonus actually, worth I think 3000 points), then pull another turnip and float away from the level. To return safely to the state throw the turnip you are holding just as the turnip from the turnip sex returns to the ground. This should be enough to deflect any edge guarding from your opponent while you return. As a note though, this is a risky practice, especially against quicker opponents/characters.

Elen

Smash Lord
Shield tumbling sounds interesting. I need to go mess around with it ^.^ RST ftw!! Good job as always AZ

F8AL

Banned via Warnings
I just finished reading this, nice information! I never knew about the "turnip sex" thing before. :D

Binx

Smash Master
I play around with peach quite a bit and I never seem to get it quite right when I am using multiple turnips that way. Awesome thread though, keep it up

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I've teched shield tumbles, I believe. I think I even used it to practice teching. It's harder on lower platforms, but you just need to let go of R or L and press it again really fast.

Ares726

Smash Ace
I've unwittingly used the Shield Tumble before, but I never thought about applying it during my opponents' invincibility frames. That's a pretty good idea. The Link/Young Link Bomb Lay is a good distraction technique too. I knew about the Turnip Sex trick already. It's pretty sweet. It doesn't work if you get any of the three stonger turnips though does it? Unless of course they sex each other. That'd be pretty sweet with two stitchfaces though...

EDIT: Thanks for keeping this going AZ. It's really awesome that you're sharing all these little tidbits.

Peki

Smash Journeyman
Tidbit #1: Shield Tumbling
Why is this a RST: Many people have unwittingly been witness to the effects of this technique when their opponent pushes them over a ledge while their shield is up. This will tell you how to do it without relying on your opponents incoming attack.

What it is: With most characters you can wavedash off the edge of a platform. If your holding your shield while your falling off the ledge then your character will go into an tumble. This tumble can’t be teched (at least not in all the times I’ve tried, my guess is because your holding L/R to soon before hitting the ground, for those of you that don’t know if you hit L/R to early when trying to tech you will actually not be able to register L/R again for a certain number of frames, this is why it is NOT a good idea to spam L/R when trying to tech the ledge/ground/wall) and the result is you should be laying on the ground.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk5dxJT5id8

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I think if read that you would see that I noted I couldn't do it in the times that I had tried. I admit teching is quite possible and is possible as the video shows. However, I still think I may be right in some cases, try to do techs on lower platforms such as PS or FoD.

squaminator

Smash Ace
couldn't the shield tumbling also be used offensively?

knock a shielded opponent off the platform, ledgecancel your attack, and immediatley attack again, or peach's dsmash them as they are falling. Something cool to think about.

edit: use your attack, not the wavedash, to knock the opponent off the platform. Probably best in a match where the falling speeds of the characters vary immensely.

Falco v. peach. Falco dairs, peach shields, falls off edge of platform. Falco follows with another dair. Falco can keep up with peach because he falls so much faster.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Actually I now roll to the edge of platforms and shield toggle. If the opponent so much as touches you on the side of the shield opposite the edge then you will fall down safely away from them, its a great counter to the 2 seconds of invulnerability they have.

Top Bottom