• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Red Shirt KRT's Moonwalk Guide

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Controller motion Video Added!

Red Shirt KRT's Moonwalking, Stickywalking, and Reverse Moonwalking Guide

No one has really explained moonwalking, stickywalking, or reverse moonwalking thoroughly, which is one of the things that makes Falcon so sexy, so I thought that I would go for it and I was tired of explaining this to all the noobs who keep making stupid posts about this.

If someone wants to use this guide somewhere else just give credit to me, Red Shirt KRT.

NEW!
This Video basically shows all.

Moonwalking
Moonwalking is when your character slides across the ground backwards while in the running animation.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the right or left.

Step 2: Next you must move the control stick from the dash position all the way to the opposite side. The trick is that you must not go through the center.

Applications
Many people don't think moonwalking is useless. Moonwalking isn't useless, but it isn't one of the most useful techniques. Moonwalking is mostly used for mindgames just to mix things up and make Captain Falcon's game more random than it already is. Edgehogging is another one of its uses. It is also a great way to gain momentum for a jump without the opponent realizing what you are doing.

Doing a bair out of a moonwalk greatly increases the distance covered, because you normally can't be at fullspeed traveling backwards.

This Video is great for showing how to use the moonwalk to edgehog and shows some other great uses.

This Video shows some of the flashy things you can do if you get good enough at moonwalking.

Notes
A lot of people get confused on what exactly cause you to moonwalk the farthest. There is no way you can moonwalk "faster" just farther.

What determines how far you moonwalk, is how fast you move the control stick from one side of the control stick to the other without going through the center. If you go through the center of the control stick, then you will just dash dance.

Stickywalking (A.K.A. Stupid Dash, Crawling)
Stickywalking is when your character is doing the run animation, but you can vary the speed at which they run.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the left or right.

Step 2: Next you may do one of the following things to do the stickywalk. Number 1 is easier in my opinion, but both work.
1) Slide the control stick down or up towards straight up or striaght down.
2) Slide the control stick back towards the center position

Applications
Stickywalking is mainly used for mindgames. It can be done anytime after you are in the running animation. Lets say when you are just about to get in marth's fsmash range and you slow your run speed down and he misses, you can easily punish him for this. Mindgames are the only other use I know of for stickywalking.

Notes
To vary the speed at which you run it is determined by how far you tilt the control stick. All the way to the right/left will have you run at normal run speed. The closer you get to the bottom/top/center depending on which method you use, the slower you will run. If you tilt to far, and go all the way to the top/bottom/center you will jump/crouch/walk depending on which method you use.

The Crawl, is basically the same as stickywalking only it is done a little bit differently. To do the Crawl, you go like your doing a normal moonwalk then you slide the control stick in a half moon circle like before but back to the other side of the control stick. This makes you start out stickywalking at the slowest possible speed then eventually speeds you up to your run speed.

Reverse Moonwalking
Reverse Moonwalking is when your character dashes out of the back end of a moonwalk.

Procedure
Step 1: First trigger the dash animation by smashing the control stick to the right or left.

Step 2: Next you must move the control stick from the dash position all the way to the opposite side. The trick is that you must not go through the center.

Step 3: Then you smash the control stick to the opposite side, and then back to where you started, like you are dash dancing.

Applications
This actually is one of the better forms of moonwalking, it gives you many more options once you already know how to moonwalk. One of the biggest things you can use this for is if you moonwalk a lot, and people know that you moonwalk a lot. Not many people know about this move and if you spring one of these out of know where it will definitely catch your opponent off guard.

Here is my diagram that will help you to visualize/understand what moonwalking and stickywalking are all about.

These are awesome links that you should definitely check out.

Great Moonwalk/Stickywalk Video

Good Moonwalking Information

Moonwalking Video

Special Thanks

Masterwumpus - Found some great Moonwalking information

Hylianlord - Created a great Moonwalking video

Magus420 - Taught me a few good things about Stickywalking

Vall3y - Created the original Moonwalk Diagram, Thanks.

TheManaLord - Provided lots of little tidbits.

Silent Wolf - Shows what a real moonwalker can do in his video.

If anyone has any questions or anything important they feel I should add then let me know and I will update this.

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
the definition for moonwalking is bad.

everyone can "slide on the ground backwards" by wavedashing backwards... it should be more like, sliding backwards while in the forward movement animation or some shizzle.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Fixed definition and added the crawl, which is just an alternative name for stickywalking

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I changed the definition and added some more tidbits. Hopefully we can get this stickied

Hax

Smash Champion
this is amazing, definitely needs to be stickied in falcon/link forums. thanks so much bro i never knew moonwalking's distance was determined by how quickly you were able to get the control stick to point B; i thought you HAD to make a semi-circle. i tried this today with instant success, my moonwalking is a lot better now. now i just have to work on stickywalking; i'm pretty sure you can stickywalk also by moonwalking back and holding forward during the moonwalk too, right? maybe you should add that.

this guide is great for newcomers too, definitely gets my approval.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Just added reverse moonwalking to the guide, don't think too many people know about this one

brianmercury

Smash Cadet
so for moonwalking can you go into/ past point b, provided you didn't go through the middle? it seems if i go all the way into the horizontal notch in the controll stick he turns around, maybe i just suck at it...

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
Yes, you can go all the way to point B. He will pivot if you have the control stick at point B after the dash animation stops. If you do a moonwalk and go all the way to B, then release the control stick so it goes to the center position then he won't pivot after the moonwalk.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I added silent wolfs tech video which has some great clips of him moonwalking across Dream land and I also sent him a PM to sticky this so hopefully that will happen.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Me, Nite, and Forward know how moonwalk even futher then shown in those clips. I am thinking about exposing our secret.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
go for it, I'll add it to the guide if its really that good, or not thats cool too

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I am still debating it. Just wanted to get that out there.

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
he doesn't have to, but it would be nice if he did. Or else he doesn't really know how to moonwalk any better and hes just sayin that to get noticed

CAPTAIN_KruncH

Smash Cadet
nice moonwalk guide, ftw!! im jsut wondering, if you can post a video on the controlelr motion, record the how you do it on your controller, im sure it would help alot of people, it would help me, cuz i can see how you really do it on the controller, and how fast you do it, thanks! jsut a little suggestion xD

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I'll try doing this tomorow cause its late now, I could show the different motions for the different techniques and such.

Like the new sig ;)

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I've finished the video and am uploading it to youtube right now. As soon as its up i'll post a link.

CAPTAIN_KruncH

Smash Cadet
ZOMG LOL i think im the first one to watch it xD love it thanks, what asexy video perfect for a sexy guide, that really helped, now i can try to do exzactly by examining how you do it on yuor controller, and again, thanks, really helped xD

TheManaLord

Smash Hero
yay now everyone can stop asking...

now we need definitive answers on the mysterious gentlemen so we can sticky that summunabich

Rage.

Smash Ace
Hahaha Nice video
Although I think you should Have also put in a side angel on your controler
so it be seen in more ways

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
yea, its kinda hard to see exactly what I do. I'm not the greatest at moonwalking but I try. Thanks

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
the faster you go from A to B the farther you will moonwalk

Red Shirt KRT

Smash Ace
NNID
1-337-PWN-CALL
3DS FC
0044-2813-9398
I believe this guide adds sexy, not testosterone. Testosterone I would say is more like dash dancing and combos. Sexy is more of the slick fluidity. :)

Top Bottom