• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Technique I just thought of...Dash Platform Shield Fall

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
I accidentally did this in a match today, and now I'm trying to perfect it. I dashed while on a platform and tried to spotdodge, but I accidentally did a platform shield fall. Then I realized that by running, then shielding and performing a platform shield fall ASAP, you can technically fall through a platform while running. I can't do it consistently yet because it's such a sensitive technique.

So what do you think? Is this useful at all, or just another random smash tidbit? I think that if perfected, this can actually be put to positive use in battle.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
I could see it helping in a couple choice situations where you need to fall through with attacks but space them differently than normal, or getting away from people in a more unique fashion.

psicicle

Smash Ace
Couldn't you just push down on the control stick, since you'd CC your run anyway?

Klowne

Smash Journeyman
Nah, the isai drop is when you fall on a platform and have the control stick moved to the left or right before landing on it. You then press down. It lets you slip through the platform without waiting through all of your landing frames.

tshahi10

Smash Ace
no, i think this is just the shield drop
since a shield sort of cancels a dash, it is just the shield drop
you hold the shield up on a platform, then you lightly press down, but there is a certain sensitivity

xyouxarexuglyx2

Smash Lord
Nah, the isai drop is when you fall on a platform and have the control stick moved to the left or right before landing on it. You then press down. It lets you slip through the platform without waiting through all of your landing frames.
Or you can tilt rotation after you have landed already

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
This is extremely useful. I just figured this out independently and was going to make a thread, but lo, one already exists!

Since most platforms are shorter than most characters' dashes, no you cannot CC => fall through platform, which is why this is awesome. The Isai drop is good, but what if you are dash-dancing on a platform and want to fall through?

Just shield and do a quarter stick rotation from the direction you are dashing to down. I think the reason this works is that you can' t do a roll in the direction you're dashing without first going back to the neutral position. And to do the regular platform shield drop, you have to move the stick down quickly but not so quickly that you do spot dodge. Well, since you are rotating the stick along the periphery, it automatically goes through the platform drop spot before reaching the spot dodge reading.

Yay now my Fox can be sexier on platforms.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
this has been known for a while, there was discussion on it during PC vs KDJ at Vegas (i believe thats correct might have been vs azen at some other tourney tho lol) when Ken was commentating. PC did a fast drop out of his shield and ken explained how isai knew about it and tried to teach it to him but he didnt care or soemthing to that effect. its not really easy to do, too slow and you just angle your shield and too fast and you spot dodge. essentially this is how you had to drop thru platforms in SSB64 (iirc)

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
this has been known for a while, there was discussion on it during PC vs KDJ at Vegas (i believe thats correct might have been vs azen at some other tourney tho lol) when Ken was commentating. PC did a fast drop out of his shield and ken explained how isai knew about it and tried to teach it to him but he didnt care or soemthing to that effect. its not really easy to do, too slow and you just angle your shield and too fast and you spot dodge. essentially this is how you had to drop thru platforms in SSB64 (iirc)
Wrong, this is not the Isai drop, and it is easy to do.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
Wrong, this is not the Isai drop, and it is easy to do.
afaik the "isai drop" is pressing left/right and then down so you fall faster through a stage. what im talking about is pressing down from inside the shield to drop through the stage.

watch azen vs PC game 3 on DL64. thats the game i was talking about.

well watching the match now, that wasnt the shield drop, but i know i learned it a long while back.

NG7

Smash Lord
tshahi10 is right. This is just cancelling your dash with shield then shield dropping really fast.

I think some people are confused about what Isai drop is.

To do it, as soon as you touch the platform, you smash the stick to dash. This cancels the landing animation you recieve from touching the platform. Then you immediately smash down to fall through the platform before you start moving from the dash.

Edit: Darn Sveet is too fast.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
I know what the Isai drop is. This is not the Isai drop. This is not performed like a regular shield drop either. And unlike a regular shield drop, it is EASY. Learn to read people.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
I know what the Isai drop is. This is not the Isai drop. This is not performed like a regular shield drop either. And unlike a regular shield drop, it is EASY. Learn to read people.
explain how in any way it is different from the regular shield drop?

NG7

Smash Lord
It's the same, just a different way of doing it.

Some people press up and grab to JC grab (freaks), some people press the jump button and grab to JC grab. The result is the same however - they're both JC grabs.

Fortress | Sveet

▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀▄▀
It's the same, just a different way of doing it.

Some people press up and grab to JC grab (freaks), some people press the jump button and grab to JC grab. The result is the same however - they're both JC grabs.
however this is done the exact same way as a shield drop as far as i can tell.

NG7

Smash Lord
Shai Hulud describe a quarter stick rotation downward toward the direction your character is dashing instead of just down.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Dash a drection, shield, instantly quarter-stfclk rotate. This will not work for regular standing shield dro[gs becauase you wills roll or spot dodge.

phanna

Dread Phanna
BRoomer
Kind of an aging thread, but here's my 2 cents: people are correct when they state the "Isai Drop" technique is to reduce landing lag and more quickly drop through a platform by hitting left or right before dropping through to start a dash. Shield dropping is also as well known, and involves tilting down while shielding to drop through the platform. That said, Isai and many other players have already uncovered this technique. I've always called it the Isai Shield Drop, which is a mixture of the two.

Top Bottom