• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Focus: A psychological perspective on Smash

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Many of you are familiar with the overused, and often misused term "Mindgame." But mindgames encompass far more than just simple little tricks to fool your opponent into doing something dumb. There's an often neglected aspect of mindgames, which is purely psychological and starts to take place even before the match begins. It's these little things that'll clutter your head, and use up precious resources that could be better used to fight your opponent.

1. Intimidation: When up against a big name, people may often play worse than they otherwise would. This big name could be anything from a pro, to just some troll on the boards who made sure he or she is known by trash talking everyone. The player who has the advantage here often does through no fault of his own, other than simply being known. The player who is intimidated will often lose confidence in his own ability to the point where he'd lose focus on the game.

Intimidation ranges from the milder form, such as predicting your own loss, to the major form, forfeiting the match or not entering the tournament rather than having to face someone so amazing as your opponent... Even in its mildest form, intimidation will have a negative effect on your play. Your opponent will have won the mental battle, which'll make it that much easier for him to beat you.

Some advice:

a. Don't be afraid of your opponent! Your opponent is human, and therefore capable of making a mistake.
b. Don't psyche yourself out! This is when people say things to the effect of "I'm going to lose this one." If you say you're going to lose, that's when you will lose.
c. Focus! Not on your opponent, but on the match itself. When your opponent does something dumb, you're more likely to catch it if you are focused on the match.
d. Learn from your mistakes! Often, a cause of intimidation is when your opponent knew how to deal with the same dumb things you did in previous matches, or when you're steaming with revenge from a different match. Don't focus on the past during your match, focus on the present.

2. Underestimation: The flip side of intimidation, underestimation is when one will think they have an easy ride into the next round because they don't consider their opponent to be much of a threat. This can lead to a loss. Often, it's easy to underestimate someone because of gender, their personality, character, or previous experience with the player. Remember that players do in fact get better. Sometimes, people are goofy or cocky as a show: they might appear as someone who is all talk or just plain idiotic, but in fact aren't. And just because someone is female, or plays a low tier (or both, in my case), doesn't mean that they're an automatic win. Focus on the match.

3. Mental fortitude: Let's face it, if you aren't feeling well, it won't necessarily be a good day to compete. Make sure to eat right the day before and morning of a tournament, get plenty of rest, and all that good stuff. :) Take breaks throughout the day, so you don't get "smashed out." Block out distractions as much as possible, which could be hard in a noisy tournament area.

And in case I didn't mention it enough: Focus on the game. Not on your opponent, not on the past. Not on the future, and not the surroundings. Focus on the game, as it is happening right now. If you can do that, you're one step closer to getting better.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Wow.
People need to read this.
Wheres the rate topic option at?

You explained this very well, you narrowed it down into several different pieces under one term: Mindgame.

Although I have a couple questions.

What is your advice, your way of seeing it, when theres some other things going through your mind as your playing and you CANT focus? It happens to me quite a lot, and sometimes I try way too hard to focus and do the exact opposite.

And the intimidation part. What if you know, that they are much better than you? Whats a good point of viewing this when your staring death in the face, especially as you use a low tier like me?

Ripple

ᗣᗣᗣᗣ ᗧ·····•·····
this should be stickied.

you should add something like if your think your going to lose spend the entire first stock studying how the player rushes or spams, its ok to take a few hits while studying them, learn from their mistakes take deep breaths and concentrate on what could work to counter them

Pyroloserkid

Smash Master
I hate it when people get intimidated. It's a videogame, not LIFE. n00bs =] .
Anyways, a good informative thread I might add. These little tips might come in handy to someone someday.

Also Brookman, DN owns. I predicting the ending, but I didn't want it to happen and it saddened me.

Ps: What are your thoughts on listening to an mp3 player during a match, instead of the game music and sounds?

Azelf

Smash Cadet
I find fast paced, high-spirited music helps, too, with putting you in the right mindset.

*cough* Also, anyone that I know of would be at least temporarily distracted by their opponent randomly signing a few lines from "Centerfold" in the middle of a match. *cough*

Grand Mango

Smash Journeyman
Often, it's easy to underestimate someone because of gender, their personality, character, or previous experience with the player.
Emmy, you write some good stuff, but I just want to point out one thing in particular which is the underestimation part.

Please take no offense when I say this, but I find it extremely funny when someone who thinks they can win against you loses, I saw a few of those people at the last tournament we were at (Mass monthly madness).

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Emmy, you write some good stuff, but I just want to point out one thing in particular which is the underestimation part.

Please take no offense when I say this, but I find it extremely funny when someone who thinks they can win against you loses, I saw a few of those people at the last tournament we were at (Mass monthly madness).
Oh, I find it really funny too. Especially when they keep trying. Which people were you talking about in particular? (please aim/msn me the details, don't post them here)

Top Bottom