• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

CG Practice

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
If you go to training mode and set fox on evade he DI's randomly (for some reason). Most of the time when you do that the comp only DIs one way. Roy's just lucky i guess.

Incidentally, you can uthrow dtilt and regrab (if fox doesn't DI full behind you) from 22-28%ish, this is good to get you around the difficult low 30% shuffle uairs. You can also uthrow utilt regrab in the mid to upper 40s.

This does not work with falco.

In Progress:

Overview of Roy's Chain Grab against Fox:
Fthrow
0-4% Fthrow->dash forward->regrab.

Notes: The idea here is like marth's fthrow CG at low percents. Fox will not fall over from your fthrow from 0-4%, so chase and grab before the opponent knows what's going on.

Bthrow
4-7% Bthrow->turn around dtilt->regrab.

Notes: "Lord Knight" combo. Even though it was taught to LK and 5150 by M2k and taught to M2k by Neo. But calling combo Roy does the "Neo" gets a little silly. The idea here is to throw him so quickly he misses the tech, then just as quickly turn around and dtilt before he gets up.

Uthrow
This section is seperated depending on Fox's DI.

DI away from you:

DI behind you:

38-64% Uthrow -> Dash Attack

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Ooooh, easy chaingrab practice, nice find.

I think fox might be able shine out of it if you try to dtilt him, but i could be wrong. My friend was getting the shine off on me when i was going for a dtilt, but he also was DIing slightly behind me, so there was the slight turn around lag before the actual dtilt.

And Lol at uptilt regrabs, im definitely going to try that.

exarch

doot doot doot
certain percentages (and certain DI's) it's a combo in training mode.

Incidentally uthrow usmash regrab might be plausible at low percents (or uthrow usmash uair regrab onto platforms at mid percents)

Also, the dash attack finisher to the CG (if they DI the dash attack RIGHT i.e. back over your head to send themselves away from you) might be comboable into another dash attack. rinse and repeat this till they miss DI then throw an uair fsmash in... or if they keep DIing the right way eventually you can chase it down with a shuffle uair anyways (I think). And if not you can DEFINITELY catch them with the first 3 hits of overb.

It should be noted that Falco's DI is not random in training mode. It's just a glitch with fox for some reason.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
I've gotten upthrow -> upsmash -> dair spike -> dtilt to work several times at mid percents, but it requires that they don't DI the upthrow.

About what percent are you doing the dash attack finisher at?

exarch

doot doot doot
the dash attack is the finisher if they DI over your head and you hit it around 50% i believe.

the CG is straight upthrows until the mid 30s at which point you have to shuffle uair and regrab if they DI in front of you, up, or slightly behind. That continues the same way until 70% at which point instead of regrabbing you fsmash.

However, if fox DI's full behind you, the shuffle uair is out of the question, but you can just dash and regrab until 50%ish (less clear on when exactly this ends here). At 50% or so, instead of regrabbing you can dash attack, which leads to two options (depending on their DI).

1 they continue to DI in the direction they originally were DIing (behind your head from your grab stance/away from your dash attack). If they do this, they get tossed up in the air ready to be fsmashed (OR REGRABBED????????)

2 they switch their DI to the direction back over your head on the dash attack. If they do this, the best I have done out of it is chasing fox down and overbing him all 3 hits. However, it has occurred to me that it might be possible to just dash attack him again. At which point you would open the same 2 possibilities up.

I loooove upsmash combos. Especially onto platforms.

And yes the lack of cstick makes it really difficult.

Sky2042

Smash Apprentice
Adapt to use Z, in the case that you wd/wl/lc using L (dunno how it would be possible with R as your main button). In my case, I use it for all my nairs, as well as an fair occasionally (ok, more than that, but oh well.)

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Training mode fox is really good for practicing the good ol' LK grab combos too (At 0%... f-throw -> regrab, backthrow -> turn around dtilt -> regrab, upthrow -> etc). Fox won't tech the backthrow, but he ground rolls the **** outta there really quick, so it seems like it would be good practice for getting that dtilt in.

Also;
Nevermind :ohwell:

exarch

doot doot doot
It should be noted if you hit with the backside sweetspot of the utilt (the part behind roy), you can uthrow utilt regrab starting in the mid 30%s (35%+).

In the mid 40's you can do the marth-like multiple utilt combo.

If fox DI's over your head (the hard one to chase) you can shuffle a nair and hit with just the first half to stop his momentum and regrab or fsmash.

Still haven't been able to try the multiple dash attack idea yet.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Aaarrrgh, **** you exarch! You make me want to mess around more in training mode when i should be studying/sleeping for college! :mad:

These finds are great! :)

NinjaLink

Smash Master
NNID
NinjaLink
I was just tryin that a couple minutes ago. Its not only the back. If u hit about 3/4 of the blade near the edge, it will make normal sweetspot sound and then u go for a regrab. u'll kno u got it when it looks exactly how marth does his.

Banned via Administration
Training mode fox is really good for practicing the good ol' LK grab combos too (At 0%... f-throw -> regrab, backthrow -> turn around dtilt -> regrab, upthrow -> etc). Fox won't tech the backthrow, but he ground rolls the **** outta there really quick, so it seems like it would be good practice for getting that dtilt in.

Also;
Nevermind :ohwell:
its NOT LK'S COMBO JESUS CHRIST HOW MANY TIMES DO I HAVE TO POST THIS.

MEW2KING TAUGHT IT TO BOTH OF US.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
*shrug* Whenever someone says "LK grab combos", i know exactly what they're talking about. Like you've said before, it'd be pretty redundant to call 'em "Neo grab combos", and while I'm sure neo does them more proficiently than pretty much everyone else, LKs the only one whose put up vids showing them.

exarch

doot doot doot
As long as we can call the use of Roy's utilt in grab combos the "exarch combo" then w/e.

Oh and after a dash attack finisher on the CG, when they DI wrong (set up for the fsmash), you can turn around and utilt, then shuffle and uair and fsmash.

Not sure what kinds of DIs open up for the opponent on your utilt though.

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
Sorry exarch, but I've done upthrow -> uptilt -> regrab way before this thread...knowing the exact percents it can be done at does make it alot easier to use though.

Experimentation at a tournament i went to yesterday shows me that upthrow -> downtilt doesnt really work. I mean it combos, but at the percents that you can dtilt them at, everyone just keeps DIing away, so you can't follow the dtilt up with anything. Doing the dtilt thumps them with another good 10ish%, but its not worth losing the chaingrab.
Uptilting at the appropriate percent did end up correctly chaining into another grab on several occasions, though (perhaps for the same reason that the dtilt fails?)

exarch

doot doot doot
Interesting. If they are DIing away (Esp. Falco), and you're by the edge, throw out a fsmash instead of a dtilt and take that stock.

Next time you find yourself in the situation, throw a dtilt or two in first, then fsmash and see if they've changed their DI.

Hooray for DI punishing.

And names don't go to whoever did it first, just generally who popularized it. <3

Sethlon

Smash Champion
BRoomer
And names don't go to whoever did it first, just generally who popularized it. <3
Lol, touche.

Watching vids of some of my matches from last weekend, i see there was a time or two where i could have got a dtilt in without SideEffect DIing out of it...you just have to condition them into DIing towards you for fear of fsmash. It still kinda seems like its a bit more trouble than its worth though, especially since if they just DI away you completely lose your chance at fsmash/continuing your chaingrab.

I dunno, I'll mess around with it some more.

-BLaze-

Smash Cadet
funny..cuz i've knew about the "CG Practice" for sometime now (possibly since the beginning of '07 maybe) but i figured everyone else knew as well..thats cool i guess..

Top Bottom