• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

A glimpse behind the Dojo doors, and Brawl itself

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Nate Bihldorff. Haven’t heard of him before? Me either, but remember the name. He’s the guy in charge of Translating Nintendo’s masterpieces from the language of Japan (Japanese!) to English. He’s worked on a large number of games, the most recent ones being Links Crossbow Training, Mario Galaxy and good ol’ Smash Bros Brawl. Part of his job with Brawl, also envolves updating the Dojo. During the latest Nintendo event at San Fransisco, <a href="http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572074/20071016/index.jhtml">MTV</a> had a brief interview with him. Read on for the juicy details!

The start of the interview is Bihldorff talking about the Christmas rush of projects that he and his team are working on, games written in Japanese, then requiring translation for the English speaking audiences, but then swiftly switches to Brawl mode. Below is the excerpt from the Interview, all below about Brawl.

<blockquote>About a month or so ago, Bihldorff explained, he accompanied the voice actors responsible for the main characters in the “Metal Gear Solid” series into a studio to record voices for “Super Smash Brothers Brawl.” “MGS” hero Solid Snake is one of the combatants in the “Smash” fighting game, so it was a smooth transition. Snake’s opponents, aside from Sonic the Hedgehog, represent a who’s who of Nintendo characters. And in fitting with the traditions of Snake’s series, a signature “MGS” codec sequence — an audio briefing — needed to be recorded for each character. Snake’s superiors would, essentially, be briefing Snake on each of the characters. The “Metal Gear” characters, gruff and serious as ever, play it straight, even when the situation calls for the no-nonsense Colonel to warn Snake that enemy combatant Wario has a lethal farting attack.

The scripts for the exchanges were written in Japan, approved, in this case, by Hideo Kojima, creator of “Metal Gear,” and then translated and recorded in English in the U.S. “As [the ‘Smash Brothers’ developers] were writing them, they knew they were going to be very, very funny. And so the actors took it that way. Going through the Wario sequence where it’s the Colonel in this very serious voice telling Snake he’s attacking by farting, the [actor playing the] Colonel was just cracking up. The first three or four takes he just couldn’t do it. Then he got into character and banged it out there.”

Bihldorff said the “Metal Gear” actors were true pros. “They were up for anything,” he said. “There was no, ‘Hey, I wouldn’t be talking to Pikachu like that.’ ” So what do they wind up saying about Sonic? What would Solid Snake say about the blue hedgehog? Bihldorff wouldn’t say but assured GameFile that all the codec sequences would be easy to access in the game. He said Snake reveals a wide range, from “really disliking characters” to, well, in an already-released clip, preparing to flirt with one of them.

Bihldorff is also in charge of the Smash Brothers Dojo, a blog from “Brawl” creator Masahiro Sakurai. That entails Bihldorff getting “chunks” of text bit by bit from Japan, about three or five weeks before they are ready to be published, and then making sure they are translated, written smoothly and passed on for any further translation needed by Nintendo of Europe.

The rest of Bihldorff’s “Smash” duties include confirming the language for the game’s gallery of trophies, rewards that commemorate characters and moments from Nintendo history and the history of the “Metal Gear” and “Sonic” series. (That compels him to play a lot of old games: “It’s a little bit easier in this day and age because of YouTube,” he said. “If I want to see the boss battle for something, I can go find it online. Maybe I’m just masochistic, but part of me likes doing the legwork and actually experiencing those games myself because I know Sakurai-san did too.”
</blockquote>

The interview then goes on to talking about Mario Galaxy and plans in 2008, so if you’re interested in reading more, you can check it out <a href="http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1572074/20071016/index.jhtml">here.</a>

Kelp Plankton

Smash Apprentice
Cool stuff. I've always wondered a bit about translators, and it's interesting that he's been getting the dojo updates so far in advance. He's already a month and a half ahead of us!

Oh to work for Nintendo.

quithas

Smash Cadet
Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!

I wish I had his job I would love to do it. Maybe someday I could be a Nintendo translater maybe or mat=ybe Im dreaming who knows. But his job would be so sweeeeeeeeeeeeet to have hell yeah.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
Yes I'm quite interested in all the guys that do work for the NA version of the game. The treehouse, they are actually an interesting bunch and I know they have some interesting ideas and personal wants as much as I've been told about them in correlation of the game. I've always wondered if they had any effect on the japanese form of the game (knowing they have to be close to Sakurai's team). I've always wondered if they were ever possibly "the Studio"though i know it's unlikely.

Sniffnoy

Smash Cadet
It seems to suggest that Solid Snake and Sonic are going to be the only third-party characters, though that could be unintentional.

Maben

Smash Journeyman
It seems to suggest that Solid Snake and Sonic are going to be the only third-party characters, though that could be unintentional.
It mentions them specifically, but obviously he wouldn't say anything if there was another character so I think it is indeed unintended if it suggests that. It would be more suggestive if it said something like "he has been going back and playing different 3rd party games from past generations to prepare the characters for Brawl" which would then of course lead us to think there was more than just Sonic and Snake.

RandomGuy42

Smash Journeyman
It's nice to get confirmation we'll be seeing trophies from the 3rd Party universes, as well.

Zoolander

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of Nate Bihldorff. Nearly every game I ever wanted was translated by him back in the day, and I've seen him in interviews for some games.

But this is sweet, we get more insight on the Codec conversations.

Masque

Keeper of the Keys
*gasp*

You don't know Nate?! He's like my hero. I actually hope to work alongside him in Localization some day. :grin:

GOTM

Smash Champion
Aeris! you beat me at EVO EAST!

haha, yea i saw your name on tia.nealpro.com, and found you were the one that knocked me out. i knew you told me your smashboards name but i forgot it. i want a rematch!! haha

Youkai Master

Smash Apprentice
This guy is really cool, you can tell he knows a lot about smash from the gameplay videos and he does a great job on the DOJO too. Is he gonna be at E for All?

Jammer

Smash Lord
Bihldorff said the “Metal Gear” actors were true pros. “They were up for anything,” he said. “There was no, ‘Hey, I wouldn’t be talking to Pikachu like that.’ ”
So Snake says mean stuff about Pikachu?

I am so psyched for Brawl.

Stupid yellow mouse.

(Just kidding, all you Pikachu fans!)

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
It's nice to get confirmation we'll be seeing trophies from the 3rd Party universes, as well.
For realz. C'mon REVOLVER OCELOT! :)

I've heard of Nate Bihldorff. Nearly every game I ever wanted was translated by him back in the day, and I've seen him in interviews for some games.

But this is sweet, we get more insight on the Codec conversations.
Can't wait to see any other 3rd party characters codec thing with Snake! :)

So Snake says mean stuff about Pikachu?

I am so psyched for Brawl.

Stupid yellow mouse.

(Just kidding, all you Pikachu fans!)
This alone makes me want Pichu. Well...Pichu being eaten by Snake at the begining of the Subspace Emissary, thus deconfirming it, that is! :laugh:

Xerroo

Smash Journeyman
I find it hard to belive that we are only getting 2 3rd party characters.

I should expect at least one more.

WarioII

Smash Apprentice
good guy im glad he loves his job its good to see that good people are behind smash bros

Top Bottom