• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Using Up B in the air as an offensive move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
It does around 30 damage if timed properly, and I'm wondering why no one uses this trick. I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder, especially if you short hop out of your shield and up b next your opponent while tilting left or right.

budahboi

Smash Apprentice
It does around 30 damage if timed properly, and I'm wondering why no one uses this trick. I think it would be fairly effective as a damage builder, especially if you short hop out of your shield and up b next your opponent while tilting left or right.
use it sparingly. if the opponent catches on he can kill you for it. cause he can either use his 2nd jump to dodge it and counter or airdodge and go into a tilt (or a smash depending on who he is.)

lolomgwtfbbq

Smash Apprentice
It's pretty slow, there's a massive lag and bowser sorta floats there for a second. Pretty hard to get hit by. Can be punished extremely easily.

Inferno_blaze

Smash Lord
Well I'm not sure about very easily but if you miss you're relatively helpless as all you can do is DI, if your opponent gets to you there's nothing you can do to stop yourself from being hit. Then again, it's quite hard to to get to you after the move because generally your opponent is in the air as well and often above you making it hard to catch you before you land.

KevinM

TB12 TB12 TB12
BRoomer
What ya mean?
Inferno Blaze was kind of on the right track but anyways

The fortress is mostly certainly not slow and has massive lag, in fact, it has zero landlag if you land on the end of the animation, it also comes out in four frames.. thats not slow or laggy.

The reason you wouldn't use it is because they can easily knock you out of it unless you trap them RIGHT away, and then after the move animation is done, you just float around while they are able to get out and punish you.

vincentninja68

Smash Apprentice
I've managed to land it a couple times in competative matches, but it's too difficult to angle at times. Some times they'll just slide out of it and I'm left helpless while I float right back down. It was worth a try, just trying to breath some life into the old bread and butter Bowser strategy.

ohpistachios

Smash Apprentice
actually i did some experimenting with getting aerial up-b kills on yoshi's story (only on cpus) kinda like how falco does it with his shine. the trick to this is jumping up and doing it high and catching them just at the very start of the up-b. has anyone actually pulled this off in a match?

technomancer

Smash Champion
It's the same reason nobody uses the flame. Because when you're done with your damage you get combo'd to fux, and it's easy to escape with DI.

Insane-Contrast

Smash Apprentice
It's not really worth the extreme risk. Compeditive players are on you like a moth to light if you try it.

Haruno Kotetsu

Smash Ace
Yes, it does do damage.

No, not all of the hits have knockback or MUCH priority.. The first striking frame is clearly what makes the move so great, as well as the little/barely any lag or startup time on the ground and mobility, making it a very suprising move.

But 10 bucks says you guys already knew this.

(failed)

Dogysamich

The Designated Hype Man!
BRoomer
yeah get this nonsense out of here.

__

Its straight if you make a good read, or you can get away, but if not you're going to die. The end.

__

*close*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom