• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Tir na Smash - Results and Vids

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
And the best Smasher in Ireland is. . . [DRUMROLL] Pikaville! Beating Gory Snake 2-1 in the finals to claim the title "Ri na Smash" which I just invented but sounds pretty nice don't yu think?

Videos of the finals here;
Round 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdRcLFWSjAo
Round 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ti7V0t2tk4
Round 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvN7kAuJTS0

I'll hopefully be able to get the entirety of the placings ASAP so stay tuned

Ahhh, I just realised how meaty this post is, sorry. You only really have to read from the red ----- line down to get the info, the rest is kind of a backstory to how this all got started. It's a good one though;)

Well I figure it's about time I edit the opening post of this thread to reflect the massive changes that have come about in the nature of this tourney. It began with my half-baked scheme to, instead of securing our own venue and hosting an all-Smash tourney, which I just figured simply wasn't going to happen, kind of mooch in on an already established LAN event, in this case "Midlans" and just host our Smash tourney in the background. Not the worst plan in the world, it has it's pros - venue, date, power supplies, sleeping arrangements etc. all taken care of. However whatever way you look at it 50 beans is a bit steep for an entrance fee, especially if you want to generate some prize money aswell by paying into a pot. Not to mention the fact that it's all the way in Westmeath. Ultimately, I suppose, the whole "Midlans" plan of action was just too much hassle.

In light of the discontinuation of the above plan, BF.com, Lynkx, and myself have all been working on establishing an all-Irish, Smash-only tourney. It is still very much a work in progress but we are hoping to have it arranged for sometime in the next couple of months, in the Dublin area. We've received a fair bit of feedback in terms of probable attendance so things are looking good and we have a possible venue somewhat secured.

What we need more than anything though, is more people to attend, so if you are even somewhat interested in participating in Ireland's first Smash tourney, please let us know by posting here or via PM or whatever. And it's not only Irish Smashers who can attend, we welcome anyone from England or anywhere else to come and get owned by the Irish. I know this is all pretty vague at the moment but rest assured I'll update this post as we get things confirmed. Oh, and one last thing, this tournament of ours, it still needs a name, so if anyone has any suggestions on that front let us hear 'em.

Of course any and all feedback from anyone, attendee or not, is more than welcome. So lets hear it, queries, suggestions, pointers, anything at all pertaining to Ireland's first Smash tourney.

cheers;)
--------------------------------------------------------
If you suck you can just read from here down
--------------------------------------------------------

Attention - This is a Super Smash Bros. Melee tournament, not Brawl. However we are expecting several copies of Brawl to be playable, just not in a tournament sense. So if the wait for a Europe release has you inflicting grievous bodily harm on yourself and others come along and Brwal it up, just don't expect any grand prize for your efforts ;)

Alright, so this is the list of confirmed participants, although several of these people (including myself) should be able to bring a couple of people with them, so the actual number is much higher, anyway, here goes;

1/ Risky
2/ Lynkx
3/ BF.com
4/ Pikaville
5/ Tone
6/ Deadeyedave
7/ Kone
8/ GAwes
9/ Gory snake

Important Note: Bring your own controller! You will not be able to play freely otherwise if you don't. If you aren't able to bring one let us know ahead of time and it won't be a problem, we just can't have 20 people and 5 controllers, doesn't work.

Also, we need copies of Smash, Gamecubes and/or Wiis, memory cards (no worries if you don't have everything unlocked, we can copy save data), and TVs. Let us know what you can bring with you so we can plan accordingly, and don't just assume other people will bring these things, if you supply them, you will be guaranteed a lot more friendlies.

So let us know what of the above you can gather, cheers:)

Excellent news! We have a venue borderline secured. It will be held as part of the Vaticon event in UCD, with details here http://www.ucd.ie/gamesoc/website/Vaticon.html . All credit for spotting and arranging this great venue goes to Deadeyedave, ****in legend that chap. Basically we just have to begin finalising numbers, wiis, screens etc. and we'll be added to the event lineup.

Alright, so this event spans the weekend of April 4th-6th. We're not positive as of yet when we're having our tourney but the Saturday sounds like the best plan, of course, we can still play Smash all weekend hehehe

On transpot: Obviously if you can drive just drive to the UCD campus, maybe organise lifts for anyone who can't avail of a car?

If, like me, you'll have to get there by other means, your best bet is probably to get a DART or train to Connolly station, walk to O'Connell Street (takes two minutes) and then board a number 3, 10 or 11B bus, which will all take you to the UCD campus.

If anyone has further inquiries, which anyone from overseas probably does, ask away and I'll try to help you out, or maybe some generous person will offer you ride. We'll work something out anyhow;)

Here is the ruleset for the tourney, it is still very much open to change and debate so if you have a problem or query with it feel free to throw in your two cents and watch me not care hehehe, anyway here goes

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Items will be turned off

Matches will be 4 stock, 8 minutes

Depending on the turnout; a double elimination bracket will be used, possibly preceded by pools

Pool matches will be best of 3
Bracket matches will be best of 5
Finals will be best of 7

Stage Srikes: Before the set begins, both players can select a single counter-pickable stage to be barred from use. This stage cannot be played at all during the set, by random select or counter-pick. Neutral stages cannot be barred

Double Blind Pick: This can be called for at the beginning of a set. If called for, both players must give their character choice to a referee, who then announces both choices. This character must be used in the first round of the set only

Random Stage Select: The first round of a set will be chosen randomly from amongst the neutral stages

Counter Picks: The loser of the previous round will pick a stage, then the winner will pick his character, then the loser will pick his character

Daves Stupid Rule: The same stage cannot be played twice in a single set

Neutral Stages: Stages set to neutral will be FD, Battlefield, Yoshi's Story, FoD, Pokemon Stadium, and Dreamland 64

Counter-pickable Stages: Stages set to counterpickable will be Corneria, Rainbow Cruise, Jungle Japes, Brinstar, Mute City, and DK 64

All other stages will be banned

In the event of a tie break by time exhaustion percentage will determine the winner, if percentages are tied the Sudden Death round will be played

In the event of a tie break by simultaneous KO the Sudden Death round will be played, regardless of percentage

*Only of concern to those familiar with Double Elimination Brackets* If you encounter a player you defeated earlier in the tournament, the win/loss record will not "carry over" i.e. the set bagins at 0-0, of course with the player from the loser's bracket having to win two consecutive sets to knock-out the player from the winner's bracket. This is in aid of simplicity, encouraging a more epic finale and, I feel, helping out the underdog without disadvantaging the favourite

Obviously you're not allowed to cheat (no ****) and you'll be disqualified if you do I guess

No controller mods so on so forth

These rules are for singles only, doubles stages legality will likely differ from the above

In teams; Team attack will be turned on and life stealing will be allowed

So. . . . what do you think? Have I missed anything? Oh, I doubt it will be an issue but I guess Wobbling is allowed. Let's hear it;)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So please start posting numbers off all these things so we can get our tourney secured. Questions, feedback, yada yada yada all very welcome, and if you're just hearing about this for the first time we want to hear from you, more turnout=better tourney.

I'll continue to update as we get more info so stay posted, cheers;)

FoulPlay

Smash Lord
There has been other Irish smashers on here looking for other players, the topic should be a few pages back by now, try looking for his msn.

Also Kone has a few Irish smasher's email addresses, I'm sure if you asked him he'd be more than happy to give them to you.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for that, I PMed Kone but he hasn't been active since the tenth:confused:

@ Tears of Sephiroth, I really don't see how that is in any way constructive, there's no reason at all why Ireland shouldn't be able to just organise itself

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I could get a few Smashers who would be interested in a tourney, just the only problem would be the travel, but it seems that that can be organised. When I say a few though, I only mean 4 or 5, including myself.

I would definately be interested in a Smash tourney in Ireland!

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Hey, fantastic, try to get some numbers finalised, if you can get 4 or 5 then that's about 10 or 12 altogether. I have one maybe. And I'm sure that there will be people there who would be interested, things are looking up:)

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
hey, not be dismissive of your plans, but if you can arrange for 20+ people to be seriously interested in a tourney in, say, dublin, maybe there's a dublin-ist (? :p) smasher who can arrange for a classroom or whatever to be used so thats a free venue (for numbers such as 20 that's good enough, i've hosted tournaments with 25 people in my not-so-big living room) and then you just get smashers to bring along tvs (4 is enough for 20 people) and if you can arrange that, I'm coming as well.

I live in holland but ill just get on a plane to ireland and witness the first tournament there. promise.
but not if it costs 40e O_o
besides hosting a tournament yourself is infinitely better than going through such events as you mentioned not only because you have everything under youur own control but because of the cozyness-factor as well :p

PM me, I'm more than happy to help you (and Ireland) set things up, also for information concerning running a tournament etc.
(ive hosted/cohosted 8 tournament already)

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I agree with bornfidelity.com, having it Dublin would be far easier to access, as many trains lead to Dublin, as do airplanes. But where to have it in Dublin? If anyone is interested in setting it up in Dublin, pm me with your e-mail if you have MSN.

bornfidelity.com, I and other Irish smashers (and anyone who wants to partake) are gonna need your help as you are experienced with tournaments.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, ideally we could organise it in Dublin, but we do need a venue, that's the whole point of this plan, the venue is taken care of already, and if you're a PC gamer at all you shouldn't feel too bad about the cost - it is a 48 hour LAN after all

And BF.com I would appreciate your help setting it up, as I have no tourney experience myself, but you'd really fly to Ireland? fair play to you

So anyway, if anyone knows of any possible venue for a Smash tourney in Dublin or the surrounding area please post here or E-mail/PM me. cheers

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Remember, it's not just Irish people who are able to come. Anyone is welcome. So if you English people want to witness our first tournament, feel free to come along and play!

That goes to any other non Irish smashers as well

Kone

Smash Master
To the guy that started this thread- apologies for not responding to your pm. I no longer have any of my contacts, sorry dude. Lost my list a while back when I had to format my pc.

To the irish - tournament in liverpool probably april. It really doesnt cost much t get from either belfast or dublin there. As costly as some of the brits travelling from either scotland or southern england t the tourney location. Why not turn up to that and get yourselves invlved in the melee scene here, which is established and competitive before melee ends? least that way when brawl hits irish and british smash will be intergrated.

ed

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
@ Kone, alright no worries bud, cheers anyway

@ everyone else, I've been away in Italy for the past week and I'm literally just in the door but from what I've gathered BF.com has been working overtime in my absence and has possible secured us a venue for an all-Smash all-Irish tourney. As regards the Midlans plan of action it's looking less likely now that I'll be attending. If, however, plenty of people are still up for it I'll see what I an do, but right now I'm really more interested in getting our all-Smash tourney off the ground.

As I learn more about this possible venue and we start to put the details together I'll update the first post to reflect anything new, and, as always, pointers, queries, propositions, feedback are all more than welcome from anyone, attendee or not

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
We were thinking DCU or UCD or whatever it is... but I think somewhere a little less expensive would be grand. Anyone got a "free gaff" (free house, basically) or know of a community centre?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah that's right, apparantly UCD has a hall for rent for just 50 beans. . . which is a pretty solid backup, but we'd really sooner have it at someone's place if possible

Edit: Agghhhh, curse the man who gave me this information ^^^

These are the hire rates for the venues in UCD

2008 Rates
Venue Price
O'Reilly Hall €4,600
O'Reilly Hall (Set-up or Breakdown Day) €2,490
O'Reilly Hall (Conservatory Only) €2,490
Theatre 500 capacity €950
Theatre 400 capacity €790
Theatre 300 capacity €750
Theatre / Classroom 90 - 200 Capacity €520
Classroom 60 – 90 capacity €300
Classroom 20 to 50 capacity €200
John Henry Newman Building Concourse €3,000
Science Faculty Building Concourses €3,000

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
Well, f*ck that, a venue isn't worth any of that if we're just hosting a Smash tournament.

It's possible we could get a community centre at a much cheaper price, the only thing is getting there if we're having a tournament for all of around Dublin. I say just the lot of us have the "tournament" at one of our houses.

Anyone got a big house? ^^

tone

Smash Cadet
WELL Guys!! Tone HERE!!
Originally from London, i used to meet up with a load of people and smash with the london smashers. I live in Tipperary now and would fall head over heels for a smash tourney in this country. Must get practising!!
When you guys sort a date and a venue, email me, (I hve the web address regestered on my profile). I will try me best to be there for the day.

SAFE TONE

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well glad to hear it Tone, although Tipperary is a bit of a trek, you do know this'll probably be in Dublin?

Still if you can make it that's great, I'll be on to you when we get something finalised

tone

Smash Cadet
Well
Dublin is No Problem have a direct train and bus service from Thurles to Dublin. Can we arrange the tourney for March as i am off to Jamacia for April. Thats the only problem that i may have for this tourney.
SAFE

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
hmmmm, what dates exactly are you gone/back?

as it is we really don't have a date chosen so we will of course try to work it around your schedual if possible

btw do you have msn? it's a lot easier to work stuff out over instant messaging the PM or E-mail. Anyway if you do could you PM it to me? cheers

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I think we just need to advertise the tourney a bit. I say we put some posters up around town near that Xbox place and maybe you (Risky) could put some up around that place where you suggested first.

Anyone got any other ideas?

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
I think we just need to advertise the tourney a bit. I say we put some posters up around town near that Xbox place and maybe you (Risky) could put some up around that place where you suggested first.

Anyone got any other ideas?
Well I assume that by "that place I suggested" you mean the Midlans venue - well that plan is pretty out of date, it's just not going to happen anymore

And I go on to assume that by "that Xbox place" you mean the Xbox centre thingy in Town - 5 minutes off Grafton Street, well I hadn't thought of advertising, it's actually a quality idea, but I don't think that that Xbox centre is the right pace at all. Two reasons; one, Halo fanboys frequent that place, not Smash fanboys, and two, I don't know if you've been there yourself but trust me, it's surprisigly secluded - took me 5/10 minutes to find it from Game on Dawson Street with directions - real out of the way

So what do you think? Advertising's a great idea but not around that Xbox centre. And besides if we're going to advertise this tourney it really needs a name hmmm? Any ideas on that front?

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
hm its really all concerns for when we actually have a venue, because we need to put a date on any advertising ^^

why is pikaville still not responding? :'/

Deadeyedave

Smash Apprentice
Opened up some of my old e-mail addresses for the first time in ages and saw the PM notifications about this.

I live in Dublin, so I'd quite happily come to any tournament. I have some other friends from down the country, but I could probably only guarantee one of them who would come.

Edit: Also, not to downgrade the ambitiousness of this thread, but I'd be quite happy just to meet a bunch of people to play Smash with semi-regularly outside my own circle of friends in Dublin. My skills are stagnated to hell because I only played the same half dozen people since Melee came out, and I haven't seen a lot of them for about two years now.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well good to hear it Deadeyedave

And about just meeting up to play Smash I'm definitely up for that but we might as well just have the tourney first so we all know eachother etc.

Also, it's cool if not, but we're still looking for a finalised venue, any chance we could host it in your place?

cheers

Kone

Smash Master
Risky : how many people do you think you can get to a tournament? there really isnt much point using a proper venue if you cant get more than twenty people together. Will be to costly.

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Kone, we're really not sure about numbers as of yet, 20 would be great though

But we're not planning on renting a venue, Pikaville has said that he might be able to let us host it in his place. And if that doesn't work out we'll just look around for another free venue, why?

Kone

Smash Master
Just wondering man. Flights from newcastle to dublin are really cheap, so if you guys ever got something happening I might come with a mate of mine. We've been planning on going to dublin for a while now, so could tie the visits in. Do you live in dublin? as we'd need housing :)

Ive also done alot to help the UK tournament scene/community to get where it is today and id love to help the irish scene start. Would be great to help set a foundation for you guys to build on. Plus, I imagine with brawl and the amount of new playerrs the UK and Ireland would get it would be benefitial for both countries to start sharing ties. With how cheap flights are between the countries be awesome to have players turning up at each others large tournaments.

So that you know im a top ten UK player and my mate that would be coming (GAwes) is top three. So,we'd do alot for the competition of the tourney!!!

Ed

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Well we'd love to have you, I don't live in Dublin myself, I'm about 50 minutes outside. About lodging, I don't know, maybe someone could put you up, or you could stay in a youth hostel for a pittance.

Anyway we'd appreciate your experience in hosting it, so if you have any tips or advice, lets hear 'em.

cheers

Lynkx

Smash Journeyman
I like the idea of English people joining in.

And I know I'm being Captain Obvious here, but we need a place that everyone can get to. It'll be hard, as we may not be able to get a proper "venue", like UCD or something mainly because it's too pricey and not many people will come.

I like the idea of just smashing with people you don't usually smash with (as said by DeadEyeDave), however it would be nice to have some prize money involved, makes it all worthwhile.

We have enough people to attend I suppose. Well, enough people who are interested, dunno about actually being able to go. But looking back at the people who are interested, along with their friends, (we'll say everyone brings one pal)... that's 12 people.

Okay, so it's not enough to host a tournament that I imagined but it can be a Smash Fest

-Risky-

Smash Apprentice
Smash Fest, Tournament, ain't nothin' but a name

And about people bringin' people, if you're coming could you try to give an idea of how many people you'll be bringing? I'd estimate I could bring 2 or 3 besides me, how 'bout everyoe else?

cheers

Top Bottom