• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

0-Death Combo with Oli.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Stayed up with my crew working on my olimar combo vid for you guys as well as a guide, echo's looks pretty good though, so Ill hold out on the guide for now or just make a post on his if I feel I can add any more useful info.

Anyway, after late night brawling, combo research, and recording. I was able to get a 0 to death combo with olimar, Ill have it added to my combo vid which will be here on the 20th if all works out. Dont have it captured to a yt link yet.

Its very dependant on the amount of damage dealt to your opponent already, they need to be below 10%, needs to be a medium-heavy weight character (WILL NOT WORK WITH LIGHT CHARACTERS), and it is also dependant on the color of pikmin in your line up. If you have a white pikmin it usually wont work, and purples can screw it up too do to too much throwback.

Starts with a grab+d -> f-air -> FF -> grab+d -> f-air -> FF -> grab+d -> F-air -> follow up jump + d-air spike with red or yellow pikmin. = death

*Notes:
-If you are too slow on your follow up grabs they can dodge out of it just like dedede's chain grab, so be precise on your FFs and follow up grabs.
-Need to watch for their DI movments and follow up accordingly, your opponent has two or three ways of escaping, all of which you are able to follow up with for additional damage or continue the combo.
-Takes a quite a bit of practice to nail it perfectly, dont give up on it if you dont succeed right away ^_^.
-Watch what color line up you have at the start of the match, if you see a white, make sure its first in line, if you have a purple, call another out and make sure its 4th in line.

UPLOADED Heres the Youtube link:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0vovoUgcao

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
We should have like, a legend system for abbreviations, lol. What does FF stand for? It usually takes me awhile to get em. Anyway, that sounds pretty great, considering it's geared towards med-heavy characters. I can't wait to try it out. And I can't wait to see the video either.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
hmm, sounds complicated. Now we just need one for lighter chars too. XD since my bro plays as kirby, I don't think i'll be using it too much.

Kyu Puff

Smash Champion
We should have like, a legend system for abbreviations, lol. What does FF stand for? It usually takes me awhile to get em. Anyway, that sounds pretty great, considering it's geared towards med-heavy characters. I can't wait to try it out. And I can't wait to see the video either.
Usually means fastfall.

Edit - Even if the 0-death combo is dependent on the right Pikmin line-up, this sounds like it could also be a nice grab combo in other situations.

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
FF = Fast Fall

and wow a combo that can kill at 0 sounds extremly useful. and it looks really easy to do this combo too, and not only that this combo works for mid-heavyweight characters (thats most of the characters in the game)

very good job

the only thing that i say would be a little bit more helpful is to list the exact colors of pikmin used that can work for the combo that would help greatly

Edit: if you can name the recomended colors of pikmin that works the best for this combo and the order

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
I'm actually wondering what pikmin wont work for the combo, I mean besides Purps and the bad grab distance for the all important grabs, What else would throw it off?

IllidR

Smash Champion
I'd definitely like to see this in action! Get a video up as soon as you can, I'll be looking foward to doing this combo, no matter how hard it is to pull off.

pesticide

Smash Lord
does it matter the order of the pikmin? i know that u shouldnt have purple or white pikmin in the lineup to do it, but does it matter what order of the other pikmin?

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Whites are ok as long as they are the ones initiating the grab, they arent good because they dont create enough knockback with the f-air to let olimar ff to the floor quick enough to initiate the next grab. Purples have a tendancy to send them TOO far and they air dodge out or jump out. Yellows tend to spike back a bit more as well as reds so like I said, they are ideal.
Ill have the vid of it up on the 20th, I dont have a capture device so Im having to do it a little wierd DVD Record > Rip > Encode > Post, long process, but Ill have it up HOPEFULLY by the 20th.:ohwell:

And just like dedede's chaingrab like I said before there IS a split second frame where someone can possibly dodge if they get the timing right and they catch on to what is happening, but that boils down to your opponent and how quickly they adapt and learn. It MAY seem impossible at first but as soon as you get the rythym down - its easy. I managed to pull it off on robot today and hes decently floaty ^^.

Edit: Cancel that, I very well might be able to get the video up tomorrow, Im just ganna drop 60 on a video capture device. Ill keep ya updated.

DOAisBetter

Smash Rookie
Nice I was messing around with the down throw f-air earlier but didnt realize you could FF and do it again. Going to have to start trying this out.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
Interesting, it seems very situational, but it could probably be executed at least once a match.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Yup very situational, really depends on how your opponent reacts to the f-air. bout a 50/50 chance that you can pull it off, that is if you even execute it right in the first place. Not to mention the pikmin line up. Im starting to notice more that full yellows is the BEST line up, they just have good all round grabs/throwback/ and range.

OH and by the way I got the vid uploaded : )

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X0vovoUgcao

Didnt have time to edit it to be bigger than what it is since so many people were bugging me for a vid, but its fine for now til the actual combo vid.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
they can air dodge, they miss the fair but you still grab them after the FF. As noted on the first post, there are multiple ways to escape, its how you follow up to what they do. Ive also seen that with the red and yellow not the blue - you can sweet spot it so you actually knock them back and down back to the ground so they CANT dodge, but I havent been able to tell how exactly to sweet spot it so well. So thankfuly this is brawl and not melee and there is no infinite that you CANT get out of, meaning more focus from the players and more defensive options for the victim to combos like this.

The 3 people on the video I did this to knew how to escape it, yet I still do it to them on a constant basis, sometimes though its hard to escape it, just as hard as it is for you to pull it off. So going back to my last post, this all depends on how, when, and what you do, same as your opponent. Sometimes its DOES seem unavoidable if you sweetspot the f-air yet its still doable if your opponent fails at defending from it. Im just bringing it to light, letting people know it CAN be done and a very deadly combo to heavier players if they arent careful.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
amazing video. After watching I get a much better feel for what its supposed to do. After practice it actually looks pretty simple and very usable. Once the game finally comes out and I get down the technique, my friends won't be able to see it come. To wrap it up in one word, epic.

Edit: after watching it a couple more times, I'm starting to see what places the people can escape out of. Such as the clip with Ganon, he shielded when you used a grab. If he saw it coming (which I'm sure he did) then he could tried to dodge or roll out of the grab, thus destroying combo.

Anp

Smash Rookie
Wow, that's cool. I'll have to try practicing that when I get Brawl. By the way, when you say it needs to be a medium-heavy weight character, does that include the floaty heavyweights like Samus and Wario?

nyhustler208

Smash Journeyman
you should call the combo the TEXTBOOK COMBO since u came up with it and i can see people using this combo a lot ounce its perfected

UltimateLink

Smash Apprentice
Wow, finally, the combos began! Notice how nintendo tries to take away all this stuff, but we're smart, we'll rise! Cant wait for the combo video.

Mule50

Smash Cadet
Nice combo. Actually seems usable.

Edit: after watching it a couple more times, I'm starting to see what places the people can escape out of. Such as the clip with Ganon, he shielded when you used a grab. If he saw it coming (which I'm sure he did) then he could tried to dodge or roll out of the grab, thus destroying combo.
I think that he messed up that time. Also, if you do mess up and you expect them to roll/dodge, you can anticipate this and chase them into a grab or f-smash.

kafke

Smash Apprentice
the vid is awesome, they looked like they didn't know what was coming.

ROFLs

Smash Cadet
Man, Olimar looks so awesome. I may have to switch from Meta Knight to him. ;)

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
As noted it can be escaped, but the part i find most humorous as well as exciting about it all is as a SSBM Marth main, I couldn't help but see this as a beautiful adaptation to the Ken Combo, something I still regard as one of the most inspiring SSBM combos to watch. Keep up the good work ninja, I'm excited for your video.

-True

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
As noted it can be escaped, but the part i find most humorous as well as exciting about it all is as a SSBM Marth main, I couldn't help but see this as a beautiful adaptation to the Ken Combo, something I still regard as one of the most inspiring SSBM combos to watch. Keep up the good work ninja, I'm excited for your video.

-True
Haha, I noticed that too.

Textbook Ninja

Smash Journeyman
Textbook combo, rofl, that just sounds funny. Dont care what you guys call it, its for the smash community anyway and olimar users to have a heads up before march 9th ^^.

Textbook combo sounds good though, that way when you tell someone, "that was a great textbook combo!" they will turn in confusion "Theres a smash bros brawl textbook? Where and how much?"

kafke

Smash Apprentice
Textbook combo, rofl, that just sounds funny. Dont care what you guys call it, its for the smash community anyway and olimar users to have a heads up before march 9th ^^.

Textbook combo sounds good though, that way when you tell someone, "that was a great textbook combo!" they will turn in confusion "Theres a smash bros brawl textbook? Where and how much?"
I like the name Textbook combo. It has a nice ring to it. And I loled at the "where and how much?"

Lixivium

Smash Champion
Impressive combo, and here I thought Brawl was more like Samurai Shodown and less like Guilty Gear when it comes to comboing.

HellSingULH

Smash Apprentice
I tried that combo with some characters (like Cap Falcon, Olimar, Falco, Wolf, Lucario, and others) and you can scape form that combo using a good DI or don´t using the aerial jump...because As one sees in the video, the cap falcon die because he use the second jump :/.

A nice and stylish combo but not usefull at all .

Cyas :D!

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
I tried that combo with some characters (like Cap Falcon, Olimar, Falco, Wolf, Lucario, and others) and you can scape form that combo using a good DI or don´t using the aerial jump...because As one sees in the video, the cap falcon die because he use the second jump :/.

A nice and stylish combo but not usefull at all .

Cyas :D!
Not useful at all?! Are you crazy? This combo will probably be the most basic P&O combo. If everyone had perfect DI then there would be NO combos in ANY game. The only reason combos work is because the person made a mistake. Of course it wouldn't work if he/she did not make a mistake!

Top Bottom