• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Zelda Movelist/Guide (Updated 2-17-08)

dirsian

Smash Rookie
THIS GUIDE IS A WORK IN PROGRESS

This guide is not meant to be comprehensive at all... yet. However, since I seem to be one of the few people on this board to actually have access to the game, I feel a right to share this information with y'all. This has also been heavily influenced and inspired by Drack's guide on Wolf.

This list/guide comes from an ex Ganon/Zelda main, so ill focus mostly on Zelda's move differences.

NOTE:
KO%s are based on a Mario in the middle of Final Destination, being hit from the left to the right, until the KO explosion was completely horizontal (at 1% less, the explosion was diagonal or vertical). Star KO%s were done largely the same way, at 1% less they fell back to the stage (or their death). Aerial moves were performed on a Mario taunting, but still standing. I skipped KO%s on moves that took more than about 200% to KO someone with.
tl;dr: All my KO%s are fairly estimated, but your mileage may vary.

UPDATE: Sorry I was wrong about the spammability of Dtilt, guys. That's been fixed, along with a couple other things.

Features to be added
  • More discussion on the moves.
  • Damage analysis DONE
  • Knock analysis/KO viability
  • Color coding DONE
  • Table of Contents
  • suggestions, anyone?

Movelist
SS - Sweetspotted

Standing Moves

Neutral A (6% SS, 2%)
Zelda just extends her arm in front of her and sends out a little pulse of magic energy which hits 3 times in rapid succession, knocking back horizontally a bit. Good for intercepting dashes with.

Forward A (13%) KO @ 125% Star KO @ 125%
Zelda swings forward in move that has variable knock depending on where they get hit. If the opponent is right in front of (touching) Zelda, they go flying horizontally away, if they're further (an arm's length) away, they get sent up. Both KO and Star KO at 125%

Down A (7%)
Zelda crouches and kicks, causing slight damage and trips if they're at low %, sends flying up if at high %

Up A (11%) Star KO @ 104%
Zelda swings her arm upwards in a wide arc starting from in front of and below her to directly behind her. The knock is always at a 70-80 degree angle up and away from her. This is one of Zelda's best kill moves.

Smash Moves

Up Smash (15%) KO @ 105%
Almost identical to the one from Melee. Zelda sweeps arm forwards then back over her head, hitting slightly in front of and behind her, and in air above her. Lands multiple hits, last one does a lot of the damage and knock, can occasionally be DI'd out of. Animation lasts longer if it actually hits someone - so misses dont hurt as much.

Forward Smash (17%) KO @ 115%
Same as the one in Melee, the hitbox does hit a little behind Zelda. Small characters seem to DI out of the hit a lot more easily than the normal/big sized ones (I've never had anyone bigger than Mario escape it). The last hit does a lot of the damage and all the knock. Like the Up Smash, if you whiff this move, it'll finish in half the time.

Down Smash (12%/10%) KO @ 131%/179%
Zelda does a little pirouette which knocks people horizontally away from her, the different percentages are for the hits in front of and behind her. IIRC, this move will NOT hit people hanging off of ledges.

Aerials

Neutral Air (13%)
Zelda does a little twirl in midair with her arms extended, hitting up to 5 times and doing up to 13 damage.

Forward/Back Air (20%SS/5%) KO @ 71%/66%
I consider these to be the same move, they have the same effect. The sweet spot and hitbox for this move seem a lot smaller than in Melee, but the sweet spot now hits for 20%, along with stopping the game for about a quarter second before they go flying. (Interesting fact: if both players hit each other at the same time, Zelda will go flying off during the "time stop" effect and the other person will rocket off a quarter second later, leading to a pretty funny effect)
Great KO move, if you can land it.

Down Air (16%SS/5%) SS Spikes.
Hits for a very slight amount, and if sweet spotted (very hard to do), spikes. Otherwise, it just knocks the opponent upwards a little. This move can only SS the opponent if they are in the air, but grounded opponents get tripped at high %s.

Up Air (15%) Star KO @ 89%
Zelda shoots a small column of fire upwards. Very powerful move, excellent knock for Star KOing potential. It has less horizontal range than its Melee counterpart, but comes out a little faster to make up for it.

Special Moves

Nayru's Love [Neutral B] (7%-15%)
Zelda spins around, shielded by a blue crystal, which then breaks into shards that whirl around with her. The end lag on this move seems less than it was in Melee, and supposedly Zelda has invincibility frames at the beginning of this attack, although I haven't noticed that effect yet. The further behind Zelda they are, they more damage they take, ranging from 7% in front of her to 15% behind her. This move also knocks people to in front of Zelda.

Din's Fire [Side B] (8%-16%) Max Range KO @ 159%
Buffed to all heck, this fireball is now one of the best projectile spams in the game. Does 13% at an average range (1/2way across Final Destination) before diminishing returns come into play, and has a ridiculous explosion range. Don't let it spoil you, but the move still occasionally surprises me with its range. While its no Pit's Arrow, the versatility of this move is still ridiculous. If hit while in the animation, the ball will go to its max range and then explode. The move concluding puts you into special fall, so beware those attempting to hit ledgeguarders with it. Also, reflectors negate the damage of this projectile.

Farore's Wind [Up B] (6%/6%)
Still steerable with the control stick, and now it appears to auto hit enemies within a certain distance of the normal teleport exit. Hits them for moderate fire damage and with slight knock. As long as you directly hit a ledge, you will sweet spot it, and the damage is done when beginning and ending the teleport. Puts you into special fall.

Transform to Sheik [Down B]
Much longer transformation time now, but it makes you invincible after the first .75sec-ish. Whole transformation takes a couple of seconds.

Grabs/Throws

Grab Attack (3%)
Not much to say here. It's a pretty standard grab attack.

Forward Throw (12%)
Tosses the opponent up and away from you. Goes a fair distance.

Down Throw (10%)
Blasts the opponent on the ground with magic a little bit, then sends them flying up and a little behind Zelda.

Back Throw (11%)
Tosses an enemy to behind you. Average throw.

Up Throw (11%)
Tosses the enemy straight up. At low %, can be followed up with an Up Aerial, or even an Up Smash, if they're dumb/their timing is off.

Misc

Dash Attack (12%) SS Star KO @ 139%
Zelda runs forward a little bit with her hands out and sends a little magic jolt through anyone she touches, sending them either horizontally if they're a little further away, or straight up if you sweet spot them.

That's it for the moment, but I eagerly await the community's feedback. Any suggestions or comments helping to improve this guide are welcome!

Changelog:
2/15/08 5:58PM EST: Basic guide framework made
2/15/08 9:19PM EST: updated many damage/KO%s
2/17/08 12:40PM EST: now in Technicolor

Drake3

Smash Ace
These confuse me:

Neutral A
Zelda just extends her arm in front of her and sends out a little pulse of magic energy which hits 3 times in rapid succession with almost no knock. Good for intercepting dashes with.
Every video I've seen, the knockback is extremely large when the opponent has a higher percentage. I could be wrong, and if it were just 1 video I'd probably accept it, but I see it alot.

Down A
Zelda crouches and kicks, causing slight damage and upward knock.. not as spammable as the one in Melee.
I'm pretty sure I've heard the opposite.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
I agree with Lingy and Drake about her down a. Ryoko and Metroid said that it's pretty fast, I think as fast as Marth's dtilt as Ryoko put it. If that's the case shouldn't it be more spammable?

Arean

Smash Ace
It is spammable.. I saw it on a video... its as fast as marth's down a from melee... Btw Spazn.. love that link and zelda gif... is that Zelda doing a taunt or one of her idle moves?

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
Ah, you changed the Dtilt. Anyway very nice work.

Oh yeah and Arean sorry for leaving you hanging there dude. Thanks and i'm not actual sure what she's doing. I don't think it's a taunt could be one of her idle animations sorry not sure lol.

Luthien

Smash Ace
Oh yeah and Arean sorry for leaving you hanging there dude. Thanks and i'm not actual sure what she's doing. I don't think it's a taunt could be one of her idle animations sorry not sure lol.
It's neither. If you look, it's actually one of her Melee victory poses (same with Link's pose). You get that one if you win with Zelda and hold down the 'B' button when the match ends. They just added an epic camera movement and an epic background... to make an epic picture.

-spAzn-

Smash Journeyman
It's neither. If you look, it's actually one of her Melee victory poses (same with Link's pose). You get that one if you win with Zelda and hold down the 'B' button when the match ends. They just added an epic camera movement and an epic background... to make an epic picture.
You can choose what victory pose you can have I didn't even know that.:psycho: Anyway there you have it Arean it's her victory pose with epicness added. Thanks for clearing that up Luth. :D

Top Bottom