• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Simple truth. -Competitive Gaming-

-Ran

Smash Master
Though I've only been registered on this forum for a few hours, I've noticed many, many posters are already condemning Brawl as the 'death' of competitive gaming for Smash Brothers. Mostly, these statements are brought on by nothing more than long winded explanations of their personal opinions, each attempting to define what made Melee or similiar games competitive. Let's pause for a moment, and come up with a general statement that will define our subject matter.

Competitive gaming is measured by the vectors of attack, defense and movement that you are able to take against any given opponent, as well as the mastery of those methods measured by adaptation, economy of use, precision, speed, and tactical use.

Regardless of what methods of play are included/excluded in Brawl, it will still be a competitive platform. If the game is slower paced, then you will be forced to use more tactics, as well as the precision of your attacks. What will make this game competitive isn't the inclusion of an upper echelon of canceling/movement, but how the community will approach the game over the years to come.

Brawl at the moment is a murky lake. All we can do is stare at the surface, and wonder what lays within. This is true for any new game, regardless of its pedigree. The lake may only be five feet deep, or be impossible to touch the bottom. If the lake is simply a pond, months may pass when a player finds an unseen tunnel which leads to the deeper depths, just as L-Canceling did for Brawl. Even, if that never happens, and all we're left with is a lake that you can stand in, if, and how you choose to swim will be your choice to make.

Let's assume that we never, ever find more about the game. Let's assume, that we don't find a new skill set. Even with fewer options of play, the more important the player aspects will be amplified. How you use the attack, and how you move before and afterwards, even the amount of times you resort to it, might all become larger metrics of how the game will be played. Does that make it any less competitive than Melee?

That is for the individual to determine after extensive play, rather than speculation. Personally, I believe it is more of a matter of what -drew- you to be competitive in Melee, rather than what is presented presently in Brawl. It's that same reason that some people play Street Fighter 2, instead of Street Fighter 3.

More or less, I had to get that off my chest. In all likelihood, this thread will hit page ten by tomorrow, and will forgotten as just the 'ranting' of a n00b on the forum.

-Ran

Smash Master
Yar, I know. It was supposed to be a Reply to a post, rather than its own thread... Unfortunately, the server kept crapping out on me between posts, and thus it's here.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
In all likelihood, this thread will hit page ten by tomorrow, and will forgotten as just the 'ranting' of a n00b on the forum.
You said that as if this wasn't the OVER NINE THOUSANth time a post like this one is posted.

-Linko-

Smash Journeyman
*Gives anti-flame shield*

You will need this. Oh, wait, it is a little late...

Weed

Smash Lord
Well whatever, I dont read these complaining/anti-complaining threads very often, so I like the way you worded it, nice job.

-Ran

Smash Master
Thank you. I try to be eloquent when the occasion calls for it. [Or when I'm overly bored and nothing is on TV.]

MasterCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MasterCheeze
3DS FC
0688-5933-2030
I remember when I was a Smash n00b like you. Now that I'm a Smash Child, advanced words like "echelon" and "pedigree" have me lost. You will be ignored for trying to sound smart, Smash n00b!!!

Just joshing ya. Lighten up, n00b. :D

-Ran

Smash Master
=p
The syntax and diction of my sentences are innate at this point, due to my tenure as a moderator for writing centric communities.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
Well that was pretty well thought out... not bad at all. Rather deeper metphors then you tend to see around here though.

Top Bottom