• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Brawl Ground Speed Chart

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Original Post:
Here's a speed tier list that was taken from this video.

I've taken the times from the video, and based on some estimations of distance, I have determined the character speeds in Miles Per Hour, the standard that us Americans use.

Enjoy!

[Edit] -

As I said initially, I was estimating the distance. But someone appreciated the thread enough that they PM'd me asking how I calculated it.

I decided to enlist the aid of my roommate, another Smash fanatic.

As I had been generous in my estimation and rounding for the numbers on the original chart, we recalculated with exact math using the height of the most realistically proportioned character in the game, Solid Snake.

In the video, the author calculates the time, and another value that we couldn't decipher. But when when the unknown value was divided by the time, it came to exactly 30 for each character (with some being slightly off due to rounding).

We believed this to be the distance.

According to the video, Snake runs across the platform in 4.43 seconds, as the characters in Brawl aren't to scale, we found the height for Snake from his official Bio, which places him at 182 centimeters, or 5 feet 11.65 inches tall.

For simplicity, this makes him 6 feet tall. If he was superimposed sideways over one of the segments of the blocks, he takes up a little over 2/3 of it, so we estimated that each block was just under 10 feet.

That means that each block is approx 3 meters, making the platform about 18 meters long, not 30.

In the video, Sonic didn't have a time, so we timed him with a stopwatch and videogame reflexes at 1.6 seconds.

We then took the time for each character and used the distance of 18 meters to calculate the miles per hour.

Here is the updated chart using "Exact Math" (Rounded Up) in Miles Per Hour (MPH) and Kilometers Per Hour(KPH).

Enjoy!

The average human runs approximately 11 Miles Per Hour, which puts mario, the "Average Stat Character" at 10.25 MPH.

This is very close to the actual human average.

This also tells us that Sonic had his speed reduced in Brawl to make it fair to the other characters.
After all, he is the fastest thing alive!

Kinlap

Smash Apprentice
Dammn, Charizard is fast on the ground, and Squirtle's slower than his other two PT counterparts?

Hyper_Ridley

Smash Champion
So Charizard was made heavy and fast? That's a scary thought.

I'm surprised Luigi's slower than Mario. That's usually the other way around.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Hrm, could it be that in the video the person was going by meters or some other metric measurement that I'm not used to? And that the topic poster here happens to be aware of that?

This chart looks very nice. =)

cochiseSMASH

Smash Apprentice
The fact that it is in MPH is a little confusing, but it works well to put perspective on how much faster certain characters are than others. Nice job doing that.

I'd actually be interested in a chart that shows these in proportions.

JJJ.Brawler

Smash Ace
things I said wow to: things I was surprised about:

Luigi slower than Mario
Charizard being faster than Squirtle and Ivysaur, BUT if you think about it, he is faster then them in the Pokemon games (because he is evolved...).
Squirtle being that slow.
Falco being a lot slower.
Why is Luigi slower than Bowser, and why is Bowser as fast as Mario. I think it should go Luigi>Mario>Bowser. :dizzy:

Brainiac_man

Smash Journeyman
What people forget is that big characters have more strength, and therefore run faster, their playing speed is determined by the speed of their attacks. Also, Sonic is WAY faster than in that chart (he was probably slowed down for brawl.)

ConeZone

Smash Ace
im surprised how fast bowser is...he is faster than kirby, squirtle, Falco, Peach, Link....surprising is all

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Thank you all for taking the time to view my chart. I really appreciate it!

um..why did u determine the character speeds in M.P.H again? srry im a bit lost =\
Well, as I'm an American, I'm keenly aware that most Americans perceive speed in Miles Per Hour due to it being the unit of measurement for the traffic system in the USA, and the Metric system not even being taught in school most of the time.

So, I decided that it would be fun for people living in America to be able to visualize how fast each character would be able to run if they were a real person.

wooh charizard is fast! that makes me really happy :)
It makes me happy, too. You know, it makes sense because when a Pokémon evolves, they usually gain more speed than if they had stayed un-evolved.

Well, unless you count EVs, but this is a Smash site, so I won't go into that. ;)

classicyayo already did this. without the MPH crap
Good! I'm glad there are other people that are interested in the ground speed of characters as well.

Endless Nightmares

Smash Master
Why is Luigi slower than Bowser, and why is Bowser as fast as Mario. I think it should go Luigi>Mario>Bowser. :dizzy:
Well Luigi already jumps higher, so it has to be even lol.

And I think Bowser would actually be faster than both of them if he ran with his feet...

Videogamerpat

Smash Rookie
You guys gotta realize that this is speed on the ground. Characters like squirtle and Jiggly move pretty quickly in the air, 'cause that's where their game is. If they moved fast on the ground, it'd sorta defeat the purpose. XD

Saying things like "OMG how is squirtle so slow?" is stupid since squirtle still "moves" faster then Charizard, despite their running speeds.

Mechageo

Smash Ace
You guys gotta realize that this is speed on the ground. Characters like squirtle and Jiggly move pretty quickly in the air, 'cause that's where their game is. If they moved fast on the ground, it'd sorta defeat the purpose. XD

Saying things like "OMG how is squirtle so slow?" is stupid since squirtle still "moves" faster then Charizard, despite their running speeds.
It's true, this is a ground speed chart.

Air movement speed is not taken into account, and neither are speed moves (such as Rollout).

-Knux-

Smash Ace
After looking at this, I realized that it makes a lot of sense. Ground speeds? Pfft. It's not necessarily about their ground speeds. A lot of Super Smash Brothers is based on aerial attacks. I actually like this chart comparison.

And for those who are whining about the system used to base their speeds: It doesn't matter. Anyone that can read numbers can get a good idea. 17 is higher than 13, right? Okay. So why are we pissing and moaning about the miles per hour? As long as you can tell one number from the next, you'll understand who's faster than who. Hell, we don't even need the numbers, as long as they're in this order. It's not that hard.

Oh, doesn't the fastest human run somewhere around 24 miles per hour? Hey Sonic: You're too slow!

Titan05

Smash Journeyman
I'm really impressed. Nice work.
I'm still surprised at how slow Zelda and Falco are.

Hailzeon0079

Smash Cadet
You people have to remember that this is only top speed, pokemon like jiggs and squirtle get to their top speed incredibly fast and move much faster in the air which is much more important than top speed.

Acceleration + Air Game > Top Speed

KeyKid19

Smash Ace
Once again I'd like to take this oppourtunity to point out that Jigglypuff is by far the worst character. EVER.

Edit: By the way I don't think I've ever seen a worse picture of Toon Link than that one. lol

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
Once again I'd like to take this oppourtunity to point out that Jigglypuff is by far the worst character. EVER.
Casuals make me want to cry =(.
Anyhow, this chart, although informative, does server little purpose, since Brawl is an "Air Heavy" game.
Good work though, always good to figure out every nook and cranny!
-DD

Top Bottom