• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

D-throw *stick* and POWERSHIELD *stick*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
Too good, tech chasing people out of a dthrow can scare them into not moving immediately, which makes it so you can simply stick them right after the throw if you read them correctly.

but POWERSHIELD sticking people is simply too broken. it is seriously amazing. do this. a lot.

power shielding isn't very hard in this game, so you should be able to do this fairly often to certain melee attacks.

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
...****. That's way too good. Though admittedly, I'd rather fsmash someone after a powershield, this combos sounds too awesome to fathom.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
if you can find somebody who you can fsmash after a powershield REASOANBLY with snake i can only say congratulations you've broken the game and made his fsmash about 6 times faster than it actually is.

seriously? you'd waste a power shield to do a move that would NEVER be fast enough to punish ANYTHING?

i dont even know what to say.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
if you can find somebody who you can fsmash after a powershield REASOANBLY with snake i can only say congratulations you've broken the game and made his fsmash about 6 times faster than it actually is.

seriously? you'd waste a power shield to do a move that would NEVER be fast enough to punish ANYTHING?

i dont even know what to say.
like a power shield to a boozer Fsmash :laugh: lulz

snake seems **** psychomidget should upload some vids

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
...Yeah, I was actually referring to punishing the laggier-than-hell attacks, like the slow fsmashes some guys have. I'm not crazy yet.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
On the topic of sticking, Assist Trophies are just MADE for sticking. The activation time is just perfect to stick, and even leaves you a little extra time to get away. Best of all, your opponent is COMPLETELY vulnerable while he's in the AT startup animation; he can't attack, he can't block, he can't dodge. If you can't get to an AT first, then make sure you stick the person who got it.

Long complicated version (i.e. don't read it):

Oh, I discovered another gross cheat for C4 planting today. This one is usable for 1v1 too (if items are on.) Do you ever find yourself in the situation where both you and another player spot an item at the same time and you both race to get it ... but your opponent got there JUST before you did? Well, if that particular item happens to be an Assist Trophy, you're in luck. Whenever anyone grabs an assist trophy, they always spam "A" to crack that baby open as fast as possible, because one, you can't use any "A" attacks while holding it, two, you don't want it knocked out of your hands, and three, Assist Trophies are amazing. ATs are basically the new Pokeballs. Anyway, your opponent grabbed the AT just a split second before you did. What do you do? Safely plant C4 on him. That's right, I said safely: The time it takes for his character to crack open that trophy is JUST enough time for you to plant your evil and run away. During that entire trophy startup time, your opponent has no way of attacking you or avoiding your plant. ATs aren't like Pokeballs where it can be thrown at an enemy, and your opponent is completely vulnerable while he is in the AT startup animation. Plus, you're probably not going to be liking whatever comes out of that trophy anyway, so get the hell away from there. So you lost the trophy, but make your opponent pay a price for getting it first.

There was a whole series of mindgames going on today in our crew over Assist Trophies because of my evil Snake tactics, LOL. People would be hesitant to pick up ATs whenever I was near, because they knew I'd run right in to stick them. But at the same time, they didn't want me getting the trophy either. We'd have whole BATTLES over ATs, sometimes multiple stocks, and it wasn't until the trophy started disappearing that people would force themselves to make a move, LOL.

I'd imagine that this would work with any other items that require some sort of startup time and that an opponent would want to use right away ... I can't really think of any others besides ATs off the top of my head, but I'm sure there are probably a few other items you can use this trick with. ATs are just the most ideal because of the perfect window of vulnerability it puts your opponent in.
You can read it in its entirety (why would you ever want to do that?) here:

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?p=3992933#post3992933

Justin Wiles

Smash Journeyman
Jeez, his F-Smash doesn't look that laggy... I guess you can't really tell until you play it.

Maybe if you power-shield Bowser's F-Smash first...

gammonwalker

Smash Cadet
Jeez, his F-Smash doesn't look that laggy... I guess you can't really tell until you play it.

Maybe if you power-shield Bowser's F-Smash first...
Its not just laggy, its hitbox is also extremely small. When you hit someone with it tho' it just may be more powerful than Falcon punch.

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
no, it is extremely laggy, and the hitbox is decently sized.

its an explosion, which, like any of snakes explosions, you dont actually have to be accurate with at all

bman in 2288

Smash Journeyman
Question: how would one manage to safely blow up the C4 stuck to the guy if the guy's charging you, trying to switch the stick? That kinda seems like a problem to me.

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
Question: how would one manage to safely blow up the C4 stuck to the guy if the guy's charging you, trying to switch the stick? That kinda seems like a problem to me.
I have a question to add. If you attack someone who is stuck does that count as walking pass them or what im really asking does it transfer the c4 to you?

tsl

Smash Apprentice
Typically, your opponent won't even realize they've been stuck until their character suddenly explodes for no reason. You can usually just roll back a few times or even just dash away. If you opponent doesn't chase for whatever reason, you blow the mine. If your opponent's chasing, you can simply double jump + Cipher to where they can't reach you and then set it off.

I have a question to add. If you attack someone who is stuck does that count as walking pass them or what im really asking does it transfer the c4 to you?
The mechanics of "touching" to transfer C4 is the same as the Sticky Bomb, it just transfers less often. Either it requries more touches to transfer (so, transfers every two touches) or there's a period of time in between each touch where it cannot be transferred again ... I'm not quite sure which it is, and I still need to do more tests. But anyway, what constitutes a "touch" for C4 is exactly the same as the Sticky Bomb, so just watch some videos of how the Sticky Bomb transfers and you'll get it. And yes, certain attacks register as a "touch"(I believe all melee attacks without a disjointed hitbox, but I'm not sure,) so you shouldn't just go straight into a combo after sticking someone.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
Typically, your opponent won't even realize they've been stuck until their character suddenly explodes for no reason. You can usually just roll back a few times or even just dash away. If you opponent doesn't chase for whatever reason, you blow the mine. If your opponent's chasing, you can simply double jump + Cipher to where they can't reach you and then set it off.
so you can detonate the c4 or after a period of time it automaticaly sets off?

tsl

Smash Apprentice
so you can detonate the c4 or after a period of time it automaticaly sets off?
You typically have to detonate it. Like the Sticky Bomb, your opponent can make it fall off (although I'm still not sure how this mechanic works) or worse off, they can stick it to you. If for some reason the mine stays on your opponent for an extremely long time without falling off, then it will just go off on its own after a while.

GTR!

Smash Journeyman
You typically have to detonate it. Like the Sticky Bomb, your opponent can make it fall off (although I'm still not sure how this mechanic works) or worse off, they can stick it to you. If for some reason the mine stays on your opponent for an extremely long time without falling off, then it will just go off on its own after a while.
thank you

not enough people are talking about how amazing powersheild -> *stick* is

it's amazing. seriously. discuss it.
i bet its amazing

im taking your word gimpy

tsl

Smash Apprentice
I haven't been able to try it yet, lol. I've actually been too busy this week to play with my group, but you can rest assured that I will be annoying many people with it (and several other techniques) the next time I play. =P Seriously, it's like a backlog of one weeks worth of new tricks that I've learned that I haven't been able to try out yet. My friends are going to be so pissed, lol.

Crom

Smash Journeyman
not enough people are talking about how amazing powersheild -> *stick* is

it's amazing. seriously. discuss it.
Planning on giving it a try tomorrow night.

Would probably be helpful if I had time to practice and a more relaxed setting... the place I play brawl at always has 6+ people and we usually do teams. Winners stay so it's not the best environment to focus on testing specific techniques if you don't want to loose your turn. It'll be worth it to learn this one though

Edit: You guys need to post the vids from your latest tourny (2/23 I believe) !

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
Sry gimpy i havent seen it in action so i cant make a good critique of it yet. Get a video of it working a few times and ill promise to give you good feedback. I just cant imagine people getting stuck that easily. lol

Gimpyfish62

Banned (62 points)
BRoomer
what i think you all dont undersatnd is that you can stick anyone after pretty much any powersheilded melee attack.

seriously. as long as you are within range, you have absolutely zero sheild stun and zero sheild lag. its amazing.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Maybe it's actually a good thing if the C4 gets stuck to Snake. That way, you can diveroll someone to transfer it and then immediately detonate.

tsl

Smash Apprentice
what i think you all dont undersatnd is that you can stick anyone after pretty much any powersheilded melee attack.

seriously. as long as you are within range, you have absolutely zero sheild stun and zero sheild lag. its amazing.
Isn't that the whole idea of the new powershielding mechanic in Brawl? I'm sure many of the characters have some pretty sick powershield -> ___ counters. Like a GOOD C. Falcon player could probably powershield -> knee.

yeah basically if you're good at powershielding it's one of the only ways to guarantee sticks
Assist Trophies are basically guaranteed sticks as well. Read my post above.

Maybe it's actually a good thing if the C4 gets stuck to Snake. That way, you can diveroll someone to transfer it and then immediately detonate.
zomfg the mindgames.

Deadly'_'

Smash Apprentice
OOOOhhh. It brawl has a new powershielding mechcanic. I was thinking that its was the same as melee's powershielding mechcanic. In, melee im pretty sure both characters slid away from each other when a powershield occured. Thats why i couldnt imagine Snake sticking someone that way. It makes way more sense this way.

Wow that is gay(In a good way). Also you guys said its easier to powershield now right? Hmm seems like this is gonna be the main way to stick people in torny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom