• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Videos of my Luigi UPDATED: 2.4.08

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Luigi is amazing in brawl. He can combo like a monster and can kill at very low % thanks to his firepunch which you can land very effectively after a jab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RASQ16mdVZQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aEFSqI2N3IE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAVuyZ1BpC8

Comments and critique please!

2.4.08 UPDATE! I finally had some time to work on the large amount of footage I have on my computer. Here is a good set vs my friend's Diddy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDj28IlRjCE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1XedhEjZg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lII3IjbnUZE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hloA8QqIDOw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2aR1wsGKnpM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXqjxqxyAT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boJCZpAUHPY

More to come! (Hopefully...)

I was rather Forward-B happy in these matches, testing the usefullness of this move.
It got buffed from melee and has limited uses now besides recovery.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the comments Wtfwasthat, I've already posted in the video thread feel free to add my matches to the first post.

MasterKoga

Smash Cadet
Good work with the fire punch, was the fake jab tech used? (I forgot what it was called)

Lord Cheeseball

Smash Rookie
0:57 of the first video:

c.Strong > c.Fierce > Jab Shoryuken

Is Luigi the new 3rd Strike Ken? This is not meant as an insult, but a testament to Luigi's fruity but extremely effective brand of martial arts.

Billychu

Smash Cadet
Jab, jab, SHORYUKEN! And he has hadoken. I've always though of Luigi as the Ken of Smash.

TierWhore

Smash Journeyman
sweet, i didn't know the utilt killed so well lol, definately gonna incorporate some strategy into my playing. You use the tornado almost as much as me!!! heh, and i way overuse that crap. Btw, don't forget the bair, it's amazing for approach, range+priority+speed+2 in one jump=beast, plus you can run and turn around midway and carry the momentum. I've only watched one match, so forgive me if you already know everything i'm telling you, once again nice luigi

Folt

Smash Ace
Finally a video with Luigi crawling. I've been looking for one. It looked funny. B)

And good matches. I can't wait to unlock Luigi once I get the game.

Eten

Smash Ace
Comments and critique please!
O rlly? Cool.

Since your videos are SO good it makes it easy to find things to critique. Basically when you own so consistently it makes it easy to point out the few exceptions or how you could own harder. Tbqh I think by pointing this out I'm gonna help others more than you cause watching the game yourself I bet you can spot your mistakes pretty well.

-Your awesome reverse uairs(u just had your back to peach) strings got broken both times when you went into a uair after you unreversed them(got turned to face peach). Maybe on somebody who falls faster/laggier attack it would have connected but floaty peach got to punish that your uair doesn't connect as easily that way. Either needed to be further under peach or on the other side/facing the other way, because the uair just doesn't have the same range in that direction.

I personally would have liked to see a high priority bair at the end of those(meaning keep your back facing that way) to knock peach/whoever out off the stage. But honestly a fair or sex kick would likely have connected where the uair did not.

Just the point is is that from reverse uair into unreversed uair it is easy to lose your string.

-Tap tap shuryuken is awesome! Gauging on JUST your amazing execution of it you got the KO w/ peach at 58%(!!!). The second one was at a much lower % so it didn't KO. Decent damage, but it seems best to save the up-B move's knockback to maximize low % KO ability as possible. Your second hit looks like half excitement/experimentation so like I said I'm probably not helping you as much as I might help someone else by pointing this out.

Just a comment: First vid is my favorite Brawl vid to date. Luigi for God tier.

Second vid-
This isn't a critique. This is just a /impressed at the fireball->tornado approach!(You do it at least twice). I dunno if this was obvious to others already but I never thought of that. Could it really be possible to slow someone up from the fireball hitstun/shieldstun long enough to get a hit from the tornado or in the case of the shield have the tornado work the shield until it gets a hit w/o being shieldgrabbed?

3:08 of third vid- I'm thinking that downsmash into a bair at low % like that would have been nice.

-After the first vid and by the third vid especially peach seemed to catch on to you and begin to use a sort of campy-move spammy strategy against your aggressive style. Letting you do the approaching you end up running into higher priority move spam. This is the bane of aggressive luigi's like yourself(or dominating naturally aggressive players such as you). However this makes them very predictable, and Luigi has the mobility to stay on top of their opponent and then fake them out(any number of ways, just keep very close pressuring them into a move, let them whiff and punish). Sounds basic, but this move-spammy campy style of peaches is what was giving you the most trouble.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the very informative input Eten!

First, the unreversing of the uairs was done purely by mistake (Thought I admit that it somehow look on purpose after seeing it happen more than once). I am aware that it's probably much better to end it with a Bair but in these matches I wanted to see how long can I keep the combo going.

The point you made about not jabbing into firepunch at very low % when it wouldn't kill might be true, I have yet to check how much it lowers the knockback of the next firepunches. In these situations I used it simply as a way to rack damage but if it indeed hurts the firepunch KO potential I should probably switch to grabbing after the jab if the opponent % is low.

On 3:08 of the third match I probably missed a chance to land a Bair there.

About the camping of peach, I wasn't really ready for it and was learning through the match was worked and what not Heh.

By the way, saying that the first match is your favorite brawl video means alot, thanks again!

FireJumpPunch

Smash Apprentice
I guess I should add some more too, huh?

Once again, I'd like to stress that I'm very impressed by your playstyle and I'd like you to know that I had trouble finding points for you to improve on.

First of all, your aereal strings: I noticed that sometimes, such as in video 1, you tend to use the same air attack. As you said, you were probably unaware when doing it at the time, but try to vary in your attacks when performing air combos. At one point you even tried six uAirs in a row. Be careful of that because as you know, attack power decreases for attacks which are performed regularly. I agree that a bair would have been a better solution, but since Eten already adressed this point, I'll leave it at that.

Secondly, I don't see you using Smash attacks very often. At instances when your opponent ends up close to you, you mostly end up choosing an aereal pursuit or rolling away to keep your distance. Keep in mind that with a smash attack, or a well-timed grab, you can still fling your opponent into the air for you to pursue, and while using air attacks to achieve this is also possible, it isn't always the fastest option. Also note that although a jab to upB may be very rewarding, it tends to be risky at times, but you always seem to perfectly execute these, so who am I to speak.

Besides those two minor things I am very impressed by your play and hope to see great things from you in the future.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
By using only uairs in these combos and lowering the uair knockback you make the combos themself easier because the opponent isn't sent far from the uair even though they racked up damage.

About the smashes, I dont find them very usefull in this matchup.
The fsmash has ok range and great KO power but why do you need it when firepunch can KO better.
It is possible to use upsmash instead of utilt after a nair on low %, the reason I avoided this against peach is the fact that it will send her too high to follow up with aerial combos.
I havn't found a good use for the dsmash, it no longer sends people up like in melee and is harder to hit with without wavedashes. It's still usefull to punish rolls and techs because it covers a nice area on the ground.
Another thing about the fsmash which I didn't really have a chance to do in these matches is using luigi's slow falling speed you can nair a sheilding opponent and move yourself just outside the grab range, this will almost always (Atleast at the first time you do it) will make the opponent miss a grab which you can happily punish with fsmash.

FireJumpPunch

Smash Apprentice
Good to hear that you know what you're doing. You see, my comments were merely from my Melee viewpoint; I've never played Brawl so I don't know about the subtle differences that much yet, so I probably wouldn't have known that it works a bit differently now. Still, you do know it and that's what matters.

By the way, think we'll be seeing any more videos of you soon?You've got me interested.

Eten

Smash Ace
The point you made about not jabbing into firepunch at very low % when it wouldn't kill might be true, I have yet to check how much it lowers the knockback of the next firepunches. In these situations I used it simply as a way to rack damage but if it indeed hurts the firepunch KO potential I should probably switch to grabbing after the jab if the opponent % is low.
That 58% KO off the top on battlefield is just too good. In brawl it seems as if a lot are struggling with getting effective KO hits at decent percentages, let alone anything below 100%. The better vids are actually of people getting KOs on middle-weights at ~110% or so. One of the real issues is is that that knock-back reduction falls off so steeply- one use of a KO move in the wrong direction on one side of the course seems to easily mean you aren't getting them off until 170%+. The knockback on moves(and damage) I know falls off very steeply at first, then doesn't vary much.

Like you said, that's great for combo moves like his uair as it evens out with an increase in percentages nicely, but when your KO move ends up overlapping with another move it tends to kill(think Falcon and his knee). Since getting a good "punch" out of your moves for a KO is so finnicky...

...Luigi's low % up-B kill where you can't even aim it the wrong direction as long as it connects looks like part of a backbone for god-tier material (his mobility, aerial strings, recovery, and move variety of course are the rest of it =P ). 10 consecutive hits of anything else resets a move, as does being KOed yourself. Tight execution of luigi's air combo game for damage into such amazing low% KOs because you can have such a high knockback move fully ready is fully synergestic with this damage/knockback reduction system.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
You are probably right.

I am going to test right now how much repeatitive useage of UpB harms its KO abilities, be back later with results

hisshouburaiken

Smash Cadet
Man, I am inspired. I've always mained Luigi and I thought he was nerfed a little at first (before I really got a feel for brawl's pace) but man, he's awesome now. If you nail the timing right on that jab combo it's inescapable.

Great vids!

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
Okay I have some results.

This was done on FD on peach with no DI:

Without using any UpB before peach got KOed at 40% when using UpB.
After using UpB once Peach got KOed at 51%.
After using UpB twice Peach got KOed at 62%.
After using UpB three times Peach got KOed at 74%.

Firepunch does around 20-26%.
A grab should net you around 8-18% depends if you can land an aerial after it.

Conclusion: If your opponent seems to be easy to combo into firepunch it's probablly better to grab instead if a firepunch won't kill him.
If you can only combo your opponent into firepunch 0-2 times in the match you should probably avoid the grab and just rack up his % using an UpB after your jab if you can.
This does not take into account the risk you might have if you fail to land it and get a coin instead.

FS Fantom

Free Saltines
NNID
Sbfantom
Virtual Void, please PM me, as I'd like to set up online playing with you when you get your online working.

I'm eager to go home tonight and try the pop pop ping of brawl -- I didn't think it would still work, and it actually seems to be MORE effective!

Luigi player

Smash Master
Wow, really awesome Luigi vids! The Jab to FireJumpPunch is awesome! :D

Luigi's crawling is a little weird... I don't like it :/

King_Peachee

Smash Journeyman
NNID
King_Peachee
3DS FC
3754-9306-5412
Are short hops in this game a little higher than melee or is that just me? Anyways, I hope you get your internet working, I'd love to get your friend code and play some Luigi vs. Luigi matches!

Nicknyte

Smash Lord
Jab to Firepunch combo is called the Void Combo :D Implemented it in a couple of my matches today. Worked really well. I did the combo on someone and died at 78%. Insane.

Scarface

Smash Apprentice
Wow. I love this thing!

I killed a Bowser at 65%!

I need to work this into my fighting scheme more often now. Very useful for a sneaky quick kill.

TobiasXK

Smash Ace
Jab canceling with Luigi in Brawl is effing FAST. Jab cancel crossups into smashes, tilts, grabs and ping all work SO well; it's amazing. Nice Wiiji, man. I'm so glad ping is a more viable kill move in this game. I mean, I got like one ping kill per match in Melee, but it was so much harder and technically a lot less effective and viable. Lui in brawl is too good.

Flyingmonkey

Smash Cadet
How exactly do you cancel the jab? Do you just go straight into the next attack, or is there something you've got to do first?

Top Bottom