• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

How To Clean The Wii's Laser (Just Use Caution)

Edfishy

Smash Rookie
( If you're going to attempt to clean the laser, please do so with caution. This will likely void any warranty, but it is however useful to know how to perform home repairs on consoles)

Hi there, we picked up Smash Brothers Brawl last night at a midnight releasing and were shocked to find that our Wii couldn't read the disc. We've got a smoker in the house and it's a sure bet there was plenty of dust in there, so it was a given the laser was likely too dusty to read the dual layered Smash Disc. Still, this was very disappointing and will result in quite a few Wii and Smash Brawl returns.

We've taken apart both of our GameCube's in the past to adjust the laser frequency dial so they would continue to read game discs, so we figured disassembling the Wii must be relatively similar. Unfortunately, the Wii uses a triwing screwdriver, which we weren't willing to wait to have shipped now that we had gone out and gotten Brawl early.

Fortunately, it appears that the "Husky 8-in-1 Precision Screwdriver" set appears to work if you apply a little force and set it correctly into the triwing screw slots. Use the smallest Phillips bit included in the set, as it seems to fit the best. The Husky bit did seem to start bending by the time were were finished with it, so just keep an eye on it.

Just remove the screws on the outer shell, carefully remove the panels until you can clearly see the disc-loader, and then apply a cotton ear swab and a dab of rubbing alcohol to the laser's lens (it'll look glassy and shiny, can't miss it). Use a different clean cotton ear swab to dry the lens, put the Wii's panels back together, and whalla, Brawl works again for however long you can keep your Wii dust-free.

The arrow is where you can access the Wii's Laser lens, the "X" is about where the lens are located.

Once we're done playing Brawl for a bit, I might post up complete photographic instructions, but I don't think that's terribly necessary. I would suggest however that you watch a video of a Wii being disassembled on YouTube before attempting anything, and again use caution and don't do anything obviously destructive.

Disassembling a Wii:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8epujddQTc

Step by Step Guide to Disassemble a Wii (Only go to Step 13)
http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewpto...m=10&topic=377

Anywho, just wanted to let any of you who've had a similiar problem know that it's not too hard to fix.

Super Drybones

Smash Ace
can you tell me the time in the video
or take a screen cap of the part i need to clean(so i dont screw it up)

Atlantian

Smash Rookie
Nice, useful guide. I have a feeling this will be useful for me someday.

FLSHK

Smash Cadet
I honestly didn't know that the GCN used phillips screws. I thought it used the tri-wing ones.

Yung Mei

Where all da hot anime moms at
this is incredible, someone necro'd a useful thread.

WTF JUST HAPPENED

DAS

Smash Ace
NNID
DAS1989
What does it mean when the game reads just fine, but it doesn't read when I select Toon Link or Wario or they involved in any match the game won't read. Other then that it works just fine.

pacman77

Smash Rookie
great info I will give that a try I am sure that is the problem with my console,I have a ps2 as well is the cleaning the same procedure.

Top Bottom