• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Falco's double lasers, the right way (they should be able to hit Kirby!)***video***

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRht1NgMvGQ

Ok, too many of you guys are trying to do double lasers the way Fox does in Melee.
Short hop, mash B as quickly as possible.
Both lasers can go over characters as tall as Ganondorf -_-

That's wrong.

To do it the "right way", short hop, have a very brief pause, then press B twice (don't mash it, only press B twice or you'll do a ground laser after you land... but make sure it's pretty fast enough). These lasers should be able to hit taller characters twice and small characters once.
This method was inspired by Fox's double lasers from Smashbros64 (that's how it's done in that game).

Heh, looks like we don't have to take things from just Melee into Brawl, but also Smashbros64 (like Fox's Dair to uptilt/Upsmash combos).

Anyways, yeah, I'm pretty sure some people already found this out, but nevertheless, make sure you guys are spamming those lasers the right way, peace.

Vro

Smash Lord
You're just a noob. Short hop fast fall 1 lazer. Duh.

jk, I've been maining Diddy with Falco and Ike on the side. You might be right, all I've been using my lasers for is Full Hop 80x laser.

redgreenblue

Smash Ace
I don't even know if I should SHDL with Falco... I mean, when I tried this last night, it seemed like I would be vulnerable for a while as I waited to shoot. Although I guess that wouldn't matter if you were still far away from your opponent.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
<3 you NJ :]]]]

edit: it's really hard to condition to =\ i can't even do em consecutively, can you NJ? ;\ IF SO, VID NOW@@@

uopq

Smash Rookie
i also noticed that you can get the second laser to have no sound. it seems harder to time, but i guess some of you may say that sound doesn't matter.

edit: it might be my tv lol, can someone second this?

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
<3 you NJ :]]]]

edit: it's really hard to condition to =\ i can't even do em consecutively, can you NJ? ;\ IF SO, VID NOW@@@
Dude, it's so easy....then again, I PLAY SMASH64 lol :p I'm used to it.

If you want...I guess I'll put a video up. Hmm, sometime tonight or tomorrow morning.

*charges camera battery*

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, I use it whenever I'm close to the opponent and I don't have time to do a short hop and laser. It comes out really quick and I like how well it spaces me from my opponent. I can just start laser spamming again after hitting them away :D

Vro

Smash Lord
Same, spacing is key with falco, and the shine has good priority/disjoint hitbox.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
It also works pretty well if you sh, laser, fast fall, laser again. This way, you can spam your lasers a little bit faster (I think).

Also, I don't think fox's drillkick to upsmash combos. They can shield or roll out if they are paying attention. The drill kick to uptilt definitely works though.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
If you're having trouble with the timing I usually try to fire when I reach the peak of the short hop. Seems to work pretty well to get the soundless second shot that's low. In addition make sure you're buffering this technique with something so that you can either take advantage of enemy stun time with an attack or dash away. This may help keep you from being punished.

ThreeX

Smash Lord
idk dude =X like whenever i shine, i just really hate the knockback, they usually just get back up instantly and hit me straight in the beak with a big toe or somethin, idk... acouple things that NEEDS to happen:

a) wifi needs to get better, cause i can only really play people that are in my city, everywhere else just won't even connect.. wth? =[

b) melee can't die :] brawl is fun, but melee BETTER NOT DIE.

note: NJ, i still <3 u for telling us about the lasers, no homo

edit: i still laugh every time i click your sig XD awesome show.. i guess that can be c) that DK show should definately air again.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
a) wifi needs to get better, cause i can only really play people that are in my city, everywhere else just won't even connect.. wth? =
I'm having the same problem >_<
b) melee can't die :] brawl is fun, but melee BETTER NOT DIE.
It won't, people will miss being able to do combos :p
note: NJ, i still <3 u for telling us about the lasers, no homo
xD, np
Here's a vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRht1NgMvGQ
edit: i still laugh every time i click your sig XD awesome show.. i guess that can be c) that DK show should definately air again.
LOL, yes! BANANAAAAAA SLAMMAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
This is good for retreating, but a smart Marth player would just dash attack you and go under the first one.

I stall before I shoot. 1 laser. No lag. That way, when I short hop, and I see him coming, I'll just dair instead of laser.

Hope this gives another option. ^_^

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Marth can't attack through this, the second laser will hit. Unless, Falco is insanely close to him.
Shoot lasers shouldn't be done up close, that being said, SHL (one laser) isn't really useful since it alot slower and doesn't hit as low.

MrPBody

Smash Journeyman
It also works pretty well if you sh, laser, fast fall, laser again. This way, you can spam your lasers a little bit faster (I think).

Also, I don't think fox's drillkick to upsmash combos. They can shield or roll out if they are paying attention. The drill kick to uptilt definitely works though.
Wrong. If fox does a drill to an uptilt, falco can jab jab jab his way out of danger.
Try it out =]

Yoru

Smash Apprentice
Marth can't attack through this, the second laser will hit. Unless, Falco is insanely close to him.
Shoot lasers shouldn't be done up close, that being said, SHL (one laser) isn't really useful since it alot slower and doesn't hit as low.
If the marth is running, then he can go right under the first one and do a dash attack.

One laser is meant to be used right as Falco lands. That way, he has more options in the air like not shooting in case of a dash attack situation. If done correctly, Falco will shoot and will seem like he never pulled out his gun. No lag. Go right into a setup for combos.

Double lasers are meant to spam, one laser is for setups or defense. That's mho. ^_^

RickettsZ22

Smash Cadet
im going to have to practice alittle more with this and i love spamming the **** out of the laser, but then thier are people who can duck like snake what a little *****

Krain0971

Smash Rookie

hehe. When I use shine they always seem to roll back toward me. I use it again ^_^.

Yunaleskamodern

Smash Rookie
you can get a third laser off fairly quickly if you hit b a third time, at the minimum, faster than regular standing lasers

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Not as useful, but close enough to be used.

No reason to not spam lasers with reduced lag/ability to move around while shooting when characters aren't ctoo lose to you...heh

Mx7f

Smash Cadet
Yeah, unless they're reflecting or absorbing them, laser spam has no downside until they are in your face.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
k this is going to be a nooby question. I've been practicing the SHDL, works well. I have to tighten my timing a bit so that the lasers line up where they should, I usually get it though. I'm not quite as fluent as your demonstration. Also, I was wondering how you face the opposite direction in mid air and shoot them (e.g. walking or running away and quickly turn and shoot) Obviously it could be as simple as quickly turning then jumping into the SHDL, but I figured I'd ask. --- I'd try it now, and avoid this post entirely, though, right now I'm sitting in school so Brawl is somewhat unaccessible right now.

Thanks for the vid/info NJzFinest! I appreciate it.

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
Yeah, unless they're reflecting or absorbing them, laser spam has no downside until they are in your face.
Dude....people where able to do that in Melee....did it help?

Also, if they can reflect, Falco can reflect back, stopping them from approaching. If they absorb, you can shine them instead or just wait for them to stop/come to you.

People seem to forget that lasers aren't only for damaging...

clowsui

Smash Legend
The timing on this is pretty hard, I was trying it last night at my friend's house and I forgot pressing was on the way up, not the way down XD I kept on waiting a bit after I was floating downwards and the 2nd would come out on the ground. But the times I got it, twas useful.

kamikaze falco

Smash Lord
With falco you can run off the stage quickly jump back on and double laser and you will hit low characters with both lasers. It is extremely quick. You can also do this in melee. But if you want to know what i'm talking about watch myko's mini falco guide (video) and under the laser tricks section you can see it. Nj's Finest knows what I'm talking about.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Disregard my above question... As I've answered it myself. Easy enough to execute, and it was primarily as easy as I figured it would be. My only problem at first was the fact that I would accidentally execute an illusion, sometimes killing myself. Though, now I've got it down. :D

Adi

Smash Lord
I mastered it fairly quickly, but the lag online really screws me over when I have to do it. It changes the timing of everything so much.

clowsui

Smash Legend
Lasers aren't really that great any more...they lost their speed as a pressure tool and are generally only good for the occasional usage...

Repryx

Smash Champion
Falcos Lasers can force an opponent to airhump across Final D....looks good to me lolz!

Top Bottom