• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Bomb throw spacing

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Alright so usually which ever way you're running is the way you have to throw it (with bombs) however when you run right and press a jump button plus the c-stick in the opposite direction you will throw it left and vice-versa. Sort of like the glide tossing thing since you keep your momentum from the dash but much easier and a bit different. It has been officially named the JC throw and can be a very handy component in any TL mainer's game, or anyone with items and a bad glide toss.

EDIT: Been testing it out a bit and you can do it throwing the bomb forward as well, the animation looks almost similar as a normal throw but the advantage of the jc toss is it seems there is less lag frames after the throw. Pretty much immediately after throwing the bomb I was able to forward smash. At lower percents I was able to jc toss a bomb forward into an opponent and follow up with double forward smash hitting the opponent with the second of the 2

THIS WORKS WITH ALL CHARACTERS AND THROWABLE ITEMS

*Edit* Thanks to Kizzu there's a better quality video of the technique, thanks again! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq5UKpxhA6M

Rawr!

Smash Cadet
...Isn't this common knowledge? C-Stick throws non-bludgeoning items in Brawl.

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Yes but the fact is while you're running you can usually only throw it in the direction you're running, also with this you sort of glide one way while throwing it another. I'll work on a video tomorrow i'm really tired. If you want a general idea of what I mean though check out the peach gliding toss videos

ArveeOnFire

Smash Rookie
I think I know what you mean. I throw bombs the other way all the time... Maybe you're doing something special though...

Jer

Smash Ace
This could be helpful in certain situations, such as 2v2's or a 2v1. After you throw the bomb the opposite way from a SH, you can actually get a bair in which sets up for a combo.

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Can anyone help me out and post a video showing the technique forward and backwards along with the difference in lag from the normal running throw and this one. I can make a vid but it will be terrible quality because I don't have a motion capture card or anything

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Alright finally got a video up but it is TERRIBLE quality. Only put it up to give you all a general idea of what this technique is and how it works. Enjoy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vZEjorYbMU

*Edit* At around 1:00 is where I try to show there is virtually no lag after throwing the bomb by immediately following with a smash

*Edit* Confirmed this works with other characters most likely all characters and c-stick throwable items but definitely with Samus armor pieces and Wario bike pieces

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
I'm afraid I don't think this is particularly noteworthy. Feel free to correct if I'm wrong but.. I mean, as Rawr! said, the fact that the c-stick can be used to throw non-bludgeoning items is, or should be, common knowledge. It's not unique or special in anyway, it's just a simple control trait.

The alternative you refer to, when you can only throw forward, is your running throw. Throwing an item while running is different than a stationary throw, and involves a short stumble animation, as your character recovers from their momentum.

The c-stick in general is a great tool for performing moves while conserving your momentum, and was used in melee, at least, to do things like DI one direction and aerial the other, or perform a Dair at the peak of your jump without fast falling. I think this just.. is. The c-stick is just.. a helpful tool.

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
It's not the fact that i'm throwing with the c-stick it's the fact you can throw it in the opposite direction you're running while sliding a bit at the same time, not only that but as I mentioned it lowers the lag frames from the throwing animation....I don't see why you all think it's as simple as just c-stick throwing but that is not what i'm trying to show you here

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
Right, I understand that. I'm saying that.. if you didn't already know that you could do this, I would've happily told you. This isn't so much a "trick" as an intentional, design-implemented use of the c-stick. The c-stick can be used to throw or perform moves in the opposite direction of your momentum. It's very useful, but it's not really something that needs.. a special name.

You see what I'm saying? It's known. It's great that you learned this, and that you may have brought it to the attention of others, but it's just a design feature.

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Right the fact is lowers lag frames and you have to press a specific button combo to do it is an intentional feature, I mean why don't we just denounce the L-cancel and JC grab from melee while we're at it

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Very nice research Tsen. I've recorded a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq5UKpxhA6M

Can you edit the first post with this video?~

Jump Canceled Throw (JC Throw) seems to be the best name.
You also can throw items forward without doing a Running Throw.
Looks pretty similar to Roll Throw.

I also compared JC Throw with Pivot Throw in the video.

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help Kizzu i've added the video to the top post as requested. Just like with your combo vids you did not disappoint =]

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the help Kizzu i've added the video to the top post as requested. Just like with your combo vids you did not disappoint =]
Actually thanks to you for* the discovery. xD
I was a bit sad that Toon Link's doesn't have a good Roll Throw.
Now thats perfect for my game! xD~

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
No problem =p it will be fun to main the same toon as you once again just glad this time i'm able to give some techniques/options as compared to just copying yours and ken's marth style as in melee <,<

LuCKy

Smash Master
just wondering since i plan on using toon link a lot,i have not tried this yet but i was wondering if you jump with the control stick or y/x button? or are you not using a GC control?i dont know if i could push y then c stick that fast lol

and does this work in US version?

same for the rolling toss thing does it still work in the us version?

Clink

Smash Cadet
This is a well tech to use now! The new mechanics makes TL's projectiles pretty weak and a bit harder to connect them into combos. I use this frequently myself

Godshand

Smash Rookie
I decided to not take brawl seriously for about the first week I played in order to enjoy it more but now that I have had that time I am going to play more competively. I may be a little late but this does work in the US version lucky. I actually just use Y then hit A real fast and get the same result. I'm sure you probably have found this out by now. This is a great find tsen keep them coming. It should be noted that you have to change your direction doing it this way. So it is Dash one way, smash the control stick the opposite way, and then JC Bomb throw. I think I will experiment with the C-Stick method as well but my way is easy for me so I will probably keep it.

Damax

Smash Lord
I read soomething like that already in another thread... some diddy player discovered it first.

there got it... it was even in the compilation of New Techniques thread..... I think its even stickied. Please Read before making posts. it applies to all those who post here seriously. at least read the first post

I'm deceived lucky, I thought you'd knew you can pull any technique with the control stick, it is just... much harder at times.

http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142139

@lucky: the rolling toss (glide toss) doesn't work with Toon link I think. You can reverse glide toss which makes this technique half useful.

fusiongtxz

Smash Cadet
Allright, but the way I play (default style) It's hard for me to use my thumb to hit X and then hit c-stick at the same time. I've allready set my Y to special for an easier SHDA. x_X
Any advice on how to JC throw?

Tsen

Smash Journeyman
I discovered it before that ihatemybrother person he even mentions me in the thread as being the discoverer so maybe you should read before making inaccurate posts

edde

Smash Ace
NNID
edmichu
im having hard times pulling it... is there any tip? (controller config, or anything)

and i would really appreciate if anybody posts how to do it ... IE> run at direction 1, when you wish to perform press a button and c stick at direction 2 at the same time (if it is like this, then i should get practice)

Top Bottom