• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

New Advanced Technique; Natural Selection.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord
Ok here it is. I'll try my best to explain it.

The first thing you should do it go near an edge. Get the distance from it so that if you throw a pikmin (with a forward smash *this note is important*) it will fly off the edge, UNLESS IT IS PURPLE.

Keep forward smashing them off until all of your pikmin are purple.

Then proceed to keep throwing and picking until you have 6 purple pikmin.

You can obviously tell the advantages to having 6 purple pikmin, for when you throw them, they actually have knockback!

NATURAL PIKMIN SELECTION!

Thoughts? Questions?

Servers back up yet? =/

Edg

Smash Cadet
I think this might be part of the reason why olimar will be banned from competitive play

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Am I missing something or did you just call 'throwing Pikmin off a ledge, plucking them and throwing them out again until you get the right colors in your party' a technique?

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I really don't see where someone will have the time to due the said technique. And then there's the issue of constantly reordering them so you're not throwing the purple ones over again...

And Olimar is NOT going to be banned from ANYTHING. That's just a rumor people started to make us feel special. I mean come on, Fox never got a ban.

superninja

Smash Cadet
How are you ever going to find time to do this in a match? It seems like it could take anywhere from 5-15 seconds...

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Personally, I hate having purple pikmin, apart from all the well stated obvious flaws everyone else has pointed out. EDG, quit being a hater and just put in the time to learn how to fight Olimar, Echo has it correct as normal.

-True

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
This 'technique' has been thought up by countless others, so it's nothing new.
It's also impractical.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Different Pikmin are good in different scenarios (except Blues, which just suck) but Purple are generally useful as edgeguarders, which means you need to pluck them during battle rather than while your opponent's dead, which would be the only time you'd be able to do something this slow.

IllidR

Smash Champion
This is just an awful idea. Besides it being just a waste of time and feasibly not possible if you're playing someone who knows how to attack, why would you want to have all Purple Pikmin anyway? Sure, you get the hit properties on your throws and you get stronger attacks with them, but look at all the things you're losing. You're losing tons of smash range, killing your grab range, and destroying any chance of comboing well. All of one thing isn't necessarily a good thing.

fire_wulf

Smash Journeyman
Different Pikmin are good in different scenarios (except Blues, which just suck)
Blue Pikmin suck? Maybe you could help me out with this... the Pikmin that is the best at grabbing the the third best for damage sucks... How about you check out Echo's guide and stats before you go ahead and post something like this.

Kabuto Mushi

Smash Journeyman
Ok here it is. I'll try my best to explain it.

The first thing you should do it go near an edge. Get the distance from it so that if you throw a pikmin (with a forward smash *this note is important*) it will fly off the edge, UNLESS IT IS PURPLE.

Keep forward smashing them off until all of your pikmin are purple.

Then proceed to keep throwing and picking until you have 6 purple pikmin.

You can obviously tell the advantages to having 6 purple pikmin, for when you throw them, they actually have knockback!

NATURAL PIKMIN SELECTION!

Thoughts? Questions?

Servers back up yet? =/
Uhm... This is a joke, right? :dizzy:

Sinstra

Smash Rookie
I really don't see where someone will have the time to due the said technique. And then there's the issue of constantly reordering them so you're not throwing the purple ones over again...
/agree. When will you have time to do this when someones after you?
Specially as olimar everyone tries to keep up the pressure. or at least everyone i play.

Pyr0

Smash Ace
I do something like this (only 2 Purple Pikmin since they help a lot vs edge hogs)

But... its pretty much logical to select the pikmin you like (Yellow for spikes ^_^)

Stop ****ing around trying to name stuff PLEASE!

Nosferatu

Smash Rookie
Yeah
i figured this out the moment i started using him
but it seriously is pointless
even against two other people that are spending their time fighting each other
it was still so ridiculously difficult to pull off
that in the end, it just wasnt worth it

plus,
you are under the presumption that the purple ones are the best
but
they clearly arent
i would much rather have a slew of pikmin that can rack up heavy damage really quick
than have a deplore of knockback ones that are really only good when you are close enough to make them matter
and seeing as the others are thrown farther, and can execute your F-smash and throws more effectively
i see no reason to rack up on the purples

Naota21t

Smash Champion
Purple pikmin aren't that sick to be honest. I'd rather have red, blue or even yellow pikmin. They all do good damage and knock back, PLUS they have better range, which owns when combined w/ shield grabbing.

Allergic To Ownage

Smash Rookie
You need all different colors of pikmin so you can have a good range of attacks. If you only have purple, then it kills all of your range, and any fighter could kill you easily, not that they would have already killed you while harvesting your purples.

DeuceBlade

Smash Champion
All purple pikmin is not a good "technique" (lol) imo, because they turn olimar into a close range fighter instead of both.

rofl_jack

Smash Rookie
I came up with this idea as well, last night when I was figthing level nines.

I've found that despite its initial appeal, it does not work, seeing how, like most people have said, grabbing capabilities are nearly thrown out the window, and the time to do this takes forever. Also, once you have about 4 purple pikmin, its near impossible to pluck two more. I've tryed it constantly.

Hai Im Fearless

Smash Lord

Pyr0

Smash Ace
Umm... first off don't try turn around the table.

You made a dumb thread, don't turn it on the replies.

and second, If you're going to quote something, quote the whole thing!

You were giving the idea of using this "technique" to get full Purple Pikmin Party, I however use it (yes USE it, as in actually playing the game like this) to get at least 1 (2 makes me feel safe) so when the opponent grabs the ledge, I can throw my Purple Pikmin (whistle it) and at least have a chance to recover.

You made a fool out of yourself, please stop while you can.

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
Anyway, Fsmashing is too slow. If you wanna do this for some reason or another, stand somewhat near the ledge and keep plucking. The lighter ones will fall right off before they land.

Oceanborn

Smash Journeyman
Ultimatum479, I'm curious to see how you play Olimar. You say Blue Pikmins suck and FSmashing is too slow. Those two things alone are some of the most (commonly) effective things Olimar has in the heat of battle. You should record us some videos. :)

Ultimatum479

Smash Apprentice
I meant Fsmashing is too slow for the technique he wanted to use to get all Purples, which is true in comparison to the method I suggested.

But hey, how about we just play instead? ;) I'll add your FC later today if I have time. I can play any weekday after 3 PM EST.

samsonites101

Smash Cadet
The idea here is pretty useless but the point is when u throw the pikmen, the purple wont go far enough, and the others will fall off.. U are not just rearranging to only have purple. This would be the fastest way but is no where near fast enough.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Purple Pikmin are overrated by scrubs.

Big whoop..they have knock back when thrown...throwing pikmin isnt important to begin with. A pikmin player should do one thing: Work the grab and follow up with aerials. Purple pkimin have crap grab range (Smash range also).

the only thing good about purple pikmin is that they are better for recovery, but that still doesn't justify having all purples, doing so would make oli struggle killing. Remember, oli overcomes his bad recovery by killing the other person first.

Arc2012

Smash Cadet
If you really want to get all purple pikmin why would you waste your time throwing them off the edge. Just go up to the edge and then face away from it and start plucking. The ones you don't want will fall off and when you see a purple just move away. That seems faster and no reordering. But why would you want to?

Top Bottom