• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Replace Brawl-Sound-Files aka mp3 to brstm converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exo

Smash Rookie
Hey guys,
some of you might know that it's possible to open and edit the files of a Wii-iso with the program "Trucha Signer". So it should be possible to replace the soundtracks in Brawl, shouldn't it?
The sound files of Brawl are in a brstm-file-format. It's possible to play (and convert?) these files with WinAmp and the plugin "in_cube", but is it possible the other way? I searched for a mp3 to brstm converter but didn't found anything.
Do you know something about this?
Exo

Exo

Smash Rookie
Funny how I didn't think of this. I could finally add FE4 music to the game... XD
You took a brstm file of another iso right? That would be an idea too... need for speed should have some cool sometracks xD but does ea use the brstm format too? I don't have the iso here...

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
You took a brstm file of another iso right? That would be an idea too... need for speed should have some cool sometracks xD but does ea use the brstm format too? I don't have the iso here...
Nah, I've never bothered with this kind of stuff. I WOULD like to change some music in the game, though.

Someone try taking the brstm file from another game and replace it with one from Brawl.

Exo

Smash Rookie
Nah, I've never bothered with this kind of stuff. I WOULD like to change some music in the game, though.

Someone try taking the brstm file from another game and replace it with one from Brawl.
Ah sry my fault, I read wrong ;D
The question is: are all games using the brstm-format for the sounds? Could someone open another iso (or more) to check this?

Another thing to mention: Someone from Wii-Reloaded said that you can't use bigger files than the original if you want to replace it. I thought much about this, and I think he's wrong because if you replace one smaller file with a big one and another big one with a small one, it should be possible as long as the total size doesn't exceed the original. What do you think?

gthirst

Smash Rookie
Ah sry my fault, I read wrong ;D
The question is: are all games using the brstm-format for the sounds? Could someone open another iso (or more) to check this?

Another thing to mention: Someone from Wii-Reloaded said that you can't use bigger files than the original if you want to replace it. I thought much about this, and I think he's wrong because if you replace one smaller file with a big one and another big one with a small one, it should be possible as long as the total size doesn't exceed the original. What do you think?
No, because the tables in the iso that point to files would end up pointing to the wrong files.

At least, that is what I have been told. Couldn't hurt to try I suppose though.

Now I believe the format for .brstm is GC/Wii ADPCM, 8/16 bit PCM. So perhaps you can just convert into that and replace. The Paper Mario game for Wii I believe uses .brstm, so keep that in mind.

I'll try and report back. I'm making a disk with all sorts of little things just to test.

ALSO: Changing voices and sound effects. They are held in the .brsar file I believe. There is a way to open and extract, but I don't know how to repack. I would love to take some of the JP versions and mix them in with the English VA.

Hope my insite was helpful or at least worth a read.

Exo

Smash Rookie
Thx gthirst, you're probably right^^

Good luck with your "experiments" and tell us if you get some new information ;D

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
No, because the tables in the iso that point to files would end up pointing to the wrong files.

At least, that is what I have been told. Couldn't hurt to try I suppose though.

Now I believe the format for .brstm is GC/Wii ADPCM, 8/16 bit PCM. So perhaps you can just convert into that and replace. The Paper Mario game for Wii I believe uses .brstm, so keep that in mind.

I'll try and report back. I'm making a disk with all sorts of little things just to test.

ALSO: Changing voices and sound effects. They are held in the .brsar file I believe. There is a way to open and extract, but I don't know how to repack. I would love to take some of the JP versions and mix them in with the English VA.

Hope my insite was helpful or at least worth a read.
Good luck with that. I'm looking forward to it.

Master Fox

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather replace some of the English VA with some of the Japanese VA. Pit is one example of someone I want to replace his for Japanese as his English VA sucks. If you find out how to do this for the Wii disk, that would be awesome.

gthirst

Smash Rookie
I'd rather replace some of the English VA with some of the Japanese VA. Pit is one example of someone I want to replace his for Japanese as his English VA sucks. If you find out how to do this for the Wii disk, that would be awesome.
The VA is actually more complicated than the music. The music files are just inside the sound folder, while the VA and sound effects are inside a .brsar file contained in the sound folder.

We can already extract from the .brsar. Hence the tracks discovered that were not in the sound track. To put these back together is the tough part though.

Currently we can disassemble .brsar and convert .brstm to anything we desire. But we can't seem to put .brsar back together, or convert to .brstm.

I'll post an update hopefully in the next couple of days. I have some audio tracks I'm going to try but I need to buy more disks. I did do the animation swap though, and some of it was distrubing.

Toon Link and Pit with Meta Knights moves... Disturbing. Like crab link and pit.:laugh:

Majin Vegeta

Smash Rookie
Isn't it possible just to replace the whole english .brsar file which contains the voices with the japanese one?

Teconmoon

Smash Rookie
It's my knowledge that Super Paper Mario uses brstm files. I've been replacing the files in Super Smash Bros Brawl with brstm files from Super Paper Mario, but since Super Smash Bros Brawl has so much music, I'll probably use multiple games. Does anyone know any other games that use brstm? It would be helpful.

Thanks! Oh by the way, hi. I hope I enjoy it here.

luckytu7

Smash Rookie
Hey Teconmoon, well I've been doing the same as you, I've been searching for other games with brstm files, and untill now I've found that one piece, naruto shippuuden EX (the first one), No more heroes, Monkey ball, Endless ocean, Eyeshield 21, wii fit and Fire emblem has those files, and those work great on smash... but I only have a problem... when I played with custom songs the song ends and it doesn't repeat like the others... I don't know if you could help me with this mate??

Lupo Aro

Smash Ace
Any tutorials on how to replace the files? I'd like to put FE:RD music in Brawl.

luckytu7

Smash Rookie
replace audio

well, to replace the music, you need to:

- have trucha signer
- open the ssbb iso with it
- open the partition (RSBE01)/ROOT/sound/strm

---------YOU CAN ONLY REPLACE FOR ANOTHER .brstm FILE------------------

- when you have a song you want in smash (.brstm) search for a song you DON't want in smash, then replace the name of the song you want for the name of the one you DON't want
(for example, i don't like A01.brstm, then I take the song i want mmm sonic.brstm, and change the name for A01.brstm)

---------IMPORTANT: the song you want for the game, must be of the same or less size than the original you dont want.

- then on trucha signer, rigth click the song you don't want an select replace... then select the song you want to exchange with.

- And thats all, go back to partition (RSBE01), rigth-click it and select trucha sign it, exit, burn it, and you are ready to go.

The only bad think is that you can't change the song name that appears in sound test, so if the song you replaced, in my example A01.brstm was i dont know... mario's song, then on sound test it will appear mario's song, but when you play it, it will play your song.

Also... since there's no Mp3 to brstm converter, you can only find brstm converter on some wii games, i don't know if there's brstm on any other console games, but I just posted which games I know have brstm: One piece, monkey ball, naruto shippuuden EX (the first one), fire emblem, endless ocean, eyeshield 21, no more heroes and wii fit.

If anyone finds a mp3 to brstm please share it :bee:

ok, that's it ;)

luckytu7

Smash Rookie
Sorry Lupo Aro, you need to have a modded wii for this, since the game with custom songs would be a back up :ohwell:

and Ørion haha, well this of editing wii isos was discovered recently like 3 or 2 weeks ago

Thino

Smash Master
Also... since there's no Mp3 to brstm converter, you can only find brstm converter on some wii games, i don't know if there's brstm on any other console games, but I just posted which games I know have brstm: One piece, monkey ball, naruto shippuuden EX (the first one), fire emblem, endless ocean, eyeshield 21, no more heroes and wii fit.

If anyone finds a mp3 to brstm please share it :bee:

ok, that's it ;)
if someone could try with brstm files first to see if it really works with brstm from other games

luckytu7

Smash Rookie
if someone could try with brstm files first to see if it really works with brstm from other games
Don't worry Thino, I just did and it works, just remember that the brstm that you want to exchange must be the same or less size than original, I said earlier that the song does not repeat like the others when it ends, but I just noticed, that this is only on stages you make, not in stages already on the game :)

GaryCXJk

Smash Lord
The only bad think is that you can't change the song name that appears in sound test, so if the song you replaced, in my example A01.brstm was i dont know... mario's song, then on sound test it will appear mario's song, but when you play it, it will play your song.
It's possible that isn't entirely true at all. One of the MSBIN files contains the names of the songs. You just need to make sure the name is as long or shorter than the name you're going to replace, or else you would need to alter each pointer to the other entries. Making it longer won't glitch the game probably, but it will make sure other names won't appear that well anymore.

Thino

Smash Master
this **** sounds awesome ! so all we need now is a mp3 -> brstm converter? oh god endless possibilities, brawl is now even more awesome

loserkidsblink182

Smash Rookie
bump bump bump..

I signed up to these boards just for this reason. It's been a few months since the last post.. any news on an mp3 to brstm converter?

Custom tracks would be amazing..

Androu1

Smash Apprentice
Well,I was able to do this with No More Heroes soundtrack.Result? Awexome!

And quite a few games use BRSTM for audio streaming.

Yinlong

Smash Journeyman
this sounds sweet
i would try this

...if i had the patience and nerve to hack my wii.

Fossilized Ursidae

Smash Apprentice
I've been waiting for music for a long time. I hope a mp3 to brstm converter comes out, but If not I guess I can be content with Super Mario Galaxy in brawl.

Oh, who I am I kidding? I don't have a modded wii. I'm not going to be able to enjoy this or any texture hacks. All these hacks are seriously making me consider buying another wii just to mod.

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
now I can replace live and learn open your heart with the full songs and switch out his world ad seven rings in hand for the crush40 versions sweet

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
now I can replace live and learn open your heart with the full songs and switch out his world ad seven rings in hand for the crush40 versions sweet
Song files have to be the same size or less.

Also yes a tutorial of this as well as an MP3 (WAV too if I'm lucky so I can use my loops) to BRTSM converter would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom