• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Inhale-Tips and tricks

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
This is a short guide on Kirby's Neutral B move, Inhale. Kirby players who are looking at this, are free to share their own tips, and whatnot, and they will be added here. I put a lot of info in it... so if you don't want to have to read through certain part, just skip them, hence the Table of Contents.

Table of Contents:

1.0 Why Inhale?
2.0 When to Inhale
3.0 Enemy Powers
4.0 Star Spitting
...4.1 Star KOing
5.0 The Kirbycide
6.0 Additional Resources
7.0 Conclusion

1.0 Why Inhale?

• To gain an enemy's power
  • To spit them out for damage/annoyance/other
  • To outprioretize an attack
  • To Kirbycide

2.0 When to Inhale

Inhaling is strictly situational. It's a very slow attack, and will leave you open to attacks. Here are situations in which to use it. You must have a reason for each inhale, so use each inhale at the right time wisely.

Edgeguarding: [Kirbycide, Swallow, Spit out]

When your opponent is recovering to the stage, as long as you have a perpous for doing it, now would be a good time to inhale. Jump up, and inhale while falling down towards the stage, or stay at the edge and inhale- whatever works best for you.

While Recovering: [Kirbycide]

When you are coming down from above back to the stage, now is a good time to inhale. (Unless it is against Marth or someone who's gonna do their Up-B at you <_<) Anyways, this is a good way to Kirbycide if you try it.

Opponent uses low-priorety attack: [Outprioretize, Swallow, Spit out]

This can stop many opponents who try hitting you with low-priorety attacks, like Sonic's spindash for example, and you want to stop them in their tracks.

Your opponent is facing the wrong way: [Swallow, Spit out, Kirbycide?]

Ok, we all make mistakes. If the opponent is facing the wrong way and jabbing randomly by mistake, before they turn around, you could do a multitude of things to them. I suggest a smash. But if you wanted to inhale them, this is a chance for you.

Airguarding: [Kirbycide, Spit out?]

If an opponent is recovering back to the stage, you have the choice of jumping off the stage after them and airguarding. At this time, you could start inhaling from slightly above to suck them in. The only thing this can really be used for is Kirbycides though. If they are really far out, you can actually suck them up, and when you're close enough to the KO zone, spit them out for a KO.

Opponent is vulnerable: [Swallow, Spit out, Kirbycide?]

Marth is charging up his shieldbreaker. Samus charges up her charge shot. Dedede just used his Forward Smash. This is a good time to inhale. If they are at the edge of the stage, you can try a Kirbycide.

Dash-SH'd Inhale: [Swallow, Sometimes Kirbycide]

I forgot about this one. Basically run up to your opponent, jump, and suck them in. If you do this when they're close to the edge, then you can pull off a Kirbycide. Other than that, it is good if you want to get their Copy Ability.

Surprise: [Anything]

Really, the best way to inhale someone is to inhale them by surprise. do it when it's least expected. xD (Mindgames)

3.0 Enemy Powers

There are 35 characters in Brawl, and excluding Kirby and Dedede, there are 37 powers that Kirby has at his disposal. In this section I will explain wether each power is worth gaining and what to do with it.

Bowser: Fire Breath ****

This move is good for edgeguarding, and gives Kirby a way to rack up damage, so it is a good copy ability. I recommend using it whenever the opponent is close to grabbing the ledge.

Captain Falcon: Falcon Punch ***

I wouldn't use this too often, since it comes out so slow. If you can surprise someone with it though, it packs a wallop, and gives Kirby a decent KOing move. Another plus is that this move gives Kirby's jumps more vertical distance. =D

Charizard: Flamethrower ****

Same as Bowser.

Diddy Kong: Peanut Popgun **

The Peanut Popgun is IMO not a very good move. When opponents are lined up with you horizontally, you have to charge it up, so it can be a very slow projectile. When they are in the air though, you don't have to charge it up.

Donkey Kong: Giant Punch ***

The punch gives Kirby a decent KOing move, and it is pretty fast too, so I recomend this move. Use it as a finish, or to rack up damage. Charge it up when your opponent is away from you.

Falco: Blaster ***

Falco's blaster cannot be rapid-fired, but it does give Kirby a projectile, which is good, and you can use it to edge guard. You can use this move to get closer too.

Fox: Blaster *****

I like Fox'es blaster better. you can rack up lots of damage with it, and as you use it more, it replenishes the lost damage from your other moves due to stale moves. Use it to rack up as much damage as you can.

Game & Watch: Chef ***

G&W Kirby ftw. Best color IMO. The bacon is good for keeping opponents at a distance, and if they get to close they get burned.

Ganondorf: Warlock Punch ***

Same as Falcon Punch, execpt it uses Shadow Power.

Ice Climbers: Ice Shot ***

This attack can be spammed, and if they try to get close to you while you're using it, you can whack them with the hammer. It freezes at higher percentages.

Ike: Eruption **

The attack is really slow, but it does give Kirby a good finishing move. You can use it to stop any opponents that run at you.

Ivysaur: Bullet Seed ****

This attack rapid-fires at an opponent, and can rack up tons of damage if they can't DI out of it. The only tihng is though they have to be lined up with you vertically. =/

Jigglypuff: Rollout *

I suggest NOT using this move. It is hard to control, and can be easily avoided. Besides that, if you fall off the stage, you fall to your death. Now, it does have awesome knockback on it, but if you do use it you must be EXTREMELY careful.

Link: Hero's Bow ***

It gives Kirby a nice projectile, but he can be easily hit out of the charge, or miss. Use it to edgeguard and hit far-away opopnents.

Lucario: Aura Sphere ***

This is a good attack, but it is easy to avoid, and takes a while to charge. I would suggest not charging this and relying on it for a KO, but using it mainly for little bursts to get closer or space yourself, or gimp someone.

Lucas: PK Freeze ****

PK Freeze is much faster than PK Flash, and can freeze at 0%. It is a very cool move, you should use it. (Edgeguarding is hilarious) It also flings opponents up into the air, which either KOs them, or gives Kirby the perfect oppurtunity to combo them in the air.

Luigi: Green Fireball ****

These are mainly used to get closer and to edge guard. They can be spammed too.

Mario: Fireball ****

Same as Luigi's fireballs, but they go at a different trajectory.

Marth: Sheild Breaker ***

I am not sure about this move, as it leaves Kriby wide open to attacks. (Which would be bad in a match against Marth)

Meta Knight: Mach Tornado *****

This move is great for racking up damage and being annoying. If you can time it right so you catch your opponent at the beginning and hit them with it the whole time through, it builds up damage and puts them under your control. If you are recovering, and are lined up with the stage horizontally, you can use this to recover safetly, (And get a few hits in) since it out-prioritizes a lot of other moves.

Ness: PK Flash *

A very slow, but powerful move. I don't really bother with this much since it is so unreliable. It can be devistating if it hits, but still, it doesn't have much of a use in a competitive game. (Especially against Ness who can use this to restore his own health!)

Peach: Toad *

Why does Kirby even need this? =p Anyways, it can be a fun move to pull off now and then, but aside from that, there are better ways to take down an opponent than spamming this.

Pikachu: Thunder Jolt ****

This move can be spammed. The projectile's properties make it so even if the opponent dodges, it still has a chance to hit them. Good for spacing. It can also be used to attack someone who's on the ledge or who's going to grab it.

Olimar: Pikmin Pluck ****

Kirby's Pikmin throw is actually faster than Olimar's. This is a great example of Kirby "Giving his opponents a taste of their own medicine". It can be used to space himself and edguard, and it racks up a decent ammount of damage. Also, if you throw them at Olimar's Side B, it will cancel his and keep going! (Credit: Dizzynecro)

Pit: Paletena's Arrow ****

This move doesn't make the opponent flinch at all, but it can be controlled, and it goes for a very long time. Spamming this move replenishes your other stale moves, and can be used as an annoyance and damage-racker. If you can control the arrows, I highly suggest that you annoy people with them.

R.O.B: Robo Beam *****

This move is great. It has decent damage, and decent stun, and awesome range. The light on Kirby's head will tell you when you are fully charged. It gets really annoying when it is overused. xD Best used for gimping or just adding damage. BEEEEEE

Samus: Charge Shot *****

The charge shot has a lot of stun to it, and a lot of knockback when fully charged. SH'd bursts can be fired to advance or space yourself, or gimp someone's recovery.

Sheik: Needles *****

These are great, and give Kirby an awesome hat too! x] Always having a charge of Needles at hand is good. Use them the moment you gain an opportunity to stun an opponent. You can use it on them when they are charging something, or use it when they are recovering to stun them in the air.

Snake: Hand Grenade ***

You can control how you throw the grenade. Good for edgeguarding or spacing, I suppose. You can also drop the grenades, creating something like Snake's D Smash and D Special games.

Sonic: Homing Attack ****

The homing attack can be good if you use it correctly. It can be used to DI when you are being launched. Also, if someone uses a laggy attack or charge attack, you can use this to punish them and get in close. Spamming this move replenishes stale moves, and makes your opponent frustrated. Also, you can use it to gimp someone's recovery. NOTE: You can press B right as you are charging the Homing attack to make it faster. (Press B twice)

Squirtle: Water Gun **

This move can be used to edgeguard at full charge, or as an attack at no charge. (Press B twice) The attack is hard to hit with as you have to be really close, so don't bother with it. Kirby doesn't really need it to edgeguard, as he is Kirby, but if you wish, then you can hit someone off the stage with a fully charged one, and then attack them in the air. Other than that, there is no practical use for this besides annoying the heck out of people.

Toon Link: Hero's Bow ***

Pretty much the same as Link's. It is somewhat spammable. Best used to distance yourself or annoy the opponent.

Wario: Bite ***

After testing this a little more, it is pretty useful for racking up damage. You can also stage-spike with this or "Wariocide" xD.

Wolf: Blaster ****

Wolf's blaster has a little bit of stun to it, making it good for getting close to the opponent and keeping them away. You can use it to edgeguard, too. If someone gets to close, the spike on the front hits them, too.

Yoshi: Egg Lay **

No good really... if you can manage to get behind them, when they're off the stage, and then put them in an egg, they would be pwned. If anyone could make a video of that demonstrating that it is possible then it would be more useful. Other than that, you can get their damage up a little.

Zelda: Nayru's Love ****

This attack is useful for getting opponents off you. It can also be used to reflect projectiles, Weeee!

Zero Suit Samus: Stun Shot ***

This comes out slow, so I wouldn't rely on it for all of your strategies, but if you can catch your opponent with this, you can charge up an F Smash or something.

4.0 Star Spitting

Swallowing and Kirbyciding aren't the only things that Inhale is useful for. Spitting out opponents is a good way to get some damge, move into aerial combos, and KO.

Star Spitting can be used to attack another opponent, too. Suck up someone and then spit them out at someone else.

T!mmy's guide Kirby & the Amazing Guide has a lot of info about the Star shot, such as damage percentages from when you spit a person out at someone else.

4.1 Star KOing

Star KOing is fun, and easy to do. Basically, you go to the very left or right of the stage, and then spit your opponent out. the launch from the star will take them past the KO boundaries, and you can get kills at low percents, even 0.

What Stages?

Although you can basically Star KO on any stage, by jumping off the stage while they are recovering and then spitting them out when you're close to the side, this is a list of places where it is easier to Star KO.

Delfino Plaza: Some parts of the stage are walfoff, or are very close to the edge. Use this to your advantage.

Yoshi's Island: When the Support Ghosts come up, if you can inhale an opponent then, you can go to the edge of the support ghost and spit them out.

Bridge of Eldin: This huge walk-off stage is perfect for Star-KOing. Just make sure you don't get hit by King Bulbus.

Smashville: If you inhale an opponent on the big moving platform, when it is going towards the far left or far right, you can spit them out when it is all the way.

WarioWare: When the stage turns into a Microgame, you can inhale the opponent and spit them off the side of the screen since it's a walk-off during the time.

Rumble Falls: Some parts of the stage are close to the edge, so you can use it and get a Star KO.

Skyworld: The moving platform at the bottom of the stage makes for a great way to Star KO.

Halberd: It is dificult, but possible to inhale someone and then walk over to the side of the screen and spit them out at the very beginning. They'd have to be really dumb though. :/

Castle Siege: When the stage goes to inside the castle, there is a perfect opportunity to Star KO at the walk-off sides.

Shadow Moses Island: When a pillar is broken, the stage turns into a walk-off. Use this to Star KO.

Mario Circuit: There are walk-off points all around. Use the ones below the ramps or above them.

Melee Yoshi's Island: The walk-off slope at the right is perfect.

Onett: This is a little harder, but if you suck up someone on top of the houses, and drop down, you can Star KO.

Rainbow Cruise: The KO areas on this stage shift around... there are certain times where you can suck someone up, and then the KO boundary comes to you Lol

Distant Planet: Obviously, the slope at the left.

Mushroomy Kingdom: The stage's KO area moves to the right. Suck someone up, (Turn around if you have to) and then spit them out at it.

Mario Bros.: There are like 8 places to spit people out along the sides.

Green Hill Zone: The left and right of the stage are nice Star KO points.

75m: There are like thousands of KO points.

Flat Zone 2: It has nice walk-off areas at the sides for KOing.

Jungle Japes: You can inhale and opponent at the left or right, jump off, and then spit them out. It is safe now because when (If) you fall into the water, you float.

Big Blue: The cars frequently come to the left side of the screen. Be careful of falling off.

5.0 The Kirbycide

Kirbyciding, as you already know, or should, is when you suck up the opponent, and then jump off the stage to kill yourself and your opponent. It differs most of the time, as you could already be in the air, suck up, and then fall, and sometimes Kirby doesn't die at all.

The last part is what you should aim for. <_< If you have more stock than your opponent, then don't even worry about it, but if not, try to make it back. You can do this by timing. Time your jump off the stage, or time when you suck in your opponent in the air so that they break free before you die. If you break free, make sure you get back the stage! <_<;;

6.0 Additional Resources

T!mmy's guide:
Kirby & The Amazing Guide

7.0 Conclusion

That is about all. If you have any suggestions, let me know. Hope this guide helps.

Ekimaster

Smash Cadet
There are 37 different copy abillities.

And I'm wondering, since Donkey Kong (and Ike) get these super armor frames with their neutral b (only when fully charged with dk), do Kirby get them too?

Wind Owl

Smash Lord
About Snake's grenades, used properly they could be really annoying with Kirby. See this thread. Also, you're not really supposed to use B to throw them. You hit B, drop the 'nade with Shield, then pick it up with A. From there you can use the C-stick to chuck it and also move around better than you could just holding B. Also, I believe Kirby's roll is better than Snake's, so hitting B, then rolling away will drop the grenade where Kirby was, which provides some really nice spacing and mind games.

Cereal Rabbit

Smash Lord
Wario's B attack can Wario-Cide. Don't see why it gets a two *.

You can also combo out of star shots like Uairs out of spit or B-airs out of swallowing.

FreakoFreako

Smash Apprentice
I need help with kirbycide. They get out too quick unless they suck. And when they do get out, it's in a bad place to footstool jump/dair D:

YinYang.ERROR

Smash Journeyman
Olimar: Pikmin Pluck *

This move isn't that useful, so I don't bother with it. Kirby can't make 6 pikmin follow him, he just plucks one out and throws it.

Maraphy, I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this.

I personally find this a very good move when used at the right time.

pros:
1. it has a good knock back
2. Comes out fast
3. it's annoying.
4. can be used to ledge guard.
5. spam-able.

cons:
1. must be used on ground.
2. has some lag time.

I have received countless kills with this move, and I will upload a video showing how it can be used.

Ryven

Smash Cadet
Kirbyciding isn't unsportsmanlike, because it's really easy to avoid... if they let you do it to them, you totally deserve the kill. Especially since it doesn't really work very well in Brawl.

Notably, Kirbyciding doesn't work the way it does in Melee anymore, so the link in the original post is a little irrelevant. Kirby has this nasty tendency to die first unless he spits them out/they break free well above the killzone.

Delta Z

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, for the record, the two guides by t!mmy are about Melee. Pretty much obsolete now. Oh, and a few comments...

-Lucario's Aura Sphere doesn't do that much less than Samus' Charge Beam. And you can disrupt opponents by hiting them with the sphere while it's charging.
-Zamus' Paralyzer can be used to combo. Catch someone with the charged one and they're wide open for a Hammer or F-Smash.
-You forgot to mention the noise R.O.B. Kirby makes. BEEP! :laugh:
-This is unconfirmed, but when DK's Giant Punch is charged all the way it might give Kirby armor frames when he uses it.
-Pit's and Falco's abilities make your opponent flinch. They just don't have any knockback.

Tomato Kirby

Smash Ace
I really do not like it when people like that call the swallowcide "unsportsmanlike." If they fall for it , then it is their fault to get caught. It is a high-risk tactic, hard to pull off, and easy to punish. strike42, make sure he knows that.

Maraphy, I think you should add the dash-->short-hop-->Inhale set-up. It is definitely worth a mention, and probably the best and most likely method for a free Inhale.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Nice guide, though I kinda with some of the ratings on character powers. Ganondorf's warlock punch comes out so freakin slow so I don't think that it deserves 4 stars, and Falcon punch is rather slow when you could be doing Kirby's forward smash instead which already has nice knockback and much better range. JigglyPuff's roll out deserves a little more credit, it's not bad on stages like Final Destination and it does KS pretty well.

I'm pretty sure Platuna arrows flinch ><, otherwise people wouldn't have to be dodging all the time just to get close enough to Pit and people wouldn't hate Pit so much D:.

Also I'm wondering how Lucario's Aura Sphere would work on Kirby. I know Lucario get's a lot stronger depending on his percent and he definetely charges Aura Sphere faster while it also becomes stronger. I'm wondering if the same applied for Kirby.

Gumtastik

Smash Rookie
with kirbyciding, kirby does not die first in Brawl. in melee the person he sucked up would die first, in Brawl, they die at the same time, and go into sudden death.

UsernameLink

Smash Journeyman
few things a disagree with

Bullet Seed. This is a amazing move for the reasons stated here http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142987. Key part "On average, a properly DI’d Bullet Seed does around 30-40% damage." (and they dont need to be right above you, if they are near you they get hit above you)

Warlock and Falcon Punch are far too slow to be used, how they get a 4 with Bullet Seed a 3...

For Snake, reasons why http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=143074 and you arnt ment to throw them stright away, you can throw catch and throw, or just hold B >_>. 1 star while the Punch gets 4... thats just crazy

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Warlock and Falcon punch give Kirby a great finisher. If you can unleash it on an opponent who has just tripped or used a laggy attack or whatever, you can KO them at lower percentages than that of any of Kirby's other moves.

With Snake's move, Kirby is not one to be spacing himself, unless it's Marth or Ike <_<.... anyways, I just do not like this move, maybe if I practice with it I can find some use.

And Ivysaur's move I find very hard to hit with sometimes. But it does get the three because it's hard to escape from.

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Warlock and Falcon punch give Kirby a great finisher. If you can unleash it on an opponent who has just tripped or used a laggy attack or whatever, you can KO them at lower percentages than that of any of Kirby's other moves.

With Snake's move, Kirby is not one to be spacing himself, unless it's Marth or Ike <_<.... anyways, I just do not like this move, maybe if I practice with it I can find some use.

And Ivysaur's move I find very hard to hit with sometimes. But it does get the three because it's hard to escape from.
If you haven't spammed Kirby's forward smash so much (well it's knockback/damage can be replenished by using other moves like final cutter), that's a much better KO move in terms of usability and it's very easy to surprise people with it by facing the opposite direction of the opponent and charging it to hit back =/=. Falcon/Warlock punch are flashy finishers =s, But really though, I'll cry if you get hit by those on accident, many people can see those coming from a mile away and coming across attacks that lag enough to get hit by one isn't too vast ><. The lowest percent you'll ever wanna think about killing people at unless you're edge guarding/hogging is 70%. Might just be me, but it feels like Falcon punch comes out just a tad slower now.

I could see the usability with the gernades though, but yeah your gonna have to be creative with that @_@.

Starizzle

Smash Apprentice
"oh i disagree with this move. oh i dont reccomend this 1. oh this 1 u should NOT use" u got bad comments on the abilities on every single 1 @-@ and alot of them are quite usefull especially the olimar one. plus kirby looks good using them :]

Plasmaexe

Smash Apprentice
Sorry if I'm sounding so negative D:. I don't have bad comments on EVERY SINGLE ability, I just have a few ><. Just trying to help =o. I should probably write some positive stuff though so I don't sound like a complete ***-hole ~_~. Overall it's a good guide and pretty well organized with the priority and stuff with marth's up B.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Maraphy, I'm sorry but I have to disagree on this.

I personally find this a very good move when used at the right time.

pros:
1. it has a good knock back
2. Comes out fast
3. it's annoying.
4. can be used to ledge guard.
5. spam-able.

cons:
1. must be used on ground.
2. has some lag time.

I have received countless kills with this move, and I will upload a video showing how it can be used.

Actually, about that, I have to update this a little, because I have been trying to figure out ways to beat Olimar recently, and using the Pikmin pluck keeps them at a distance, (It's longer range than Olimar's) allowing you to spam it at him and keep his Pikmin out of your reach.

So yes, I agree

And yeah, after playing Brawl some more, I can improve this guide more

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
I very much disagree with snake and olimar both abillitys being great and helping with the match ups (kirbys pikmin throw kills olimars pikmin and keep going!) And grenades are amazing in general for zoning.

Jester Kirby

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JesterKirby
nice guide, kirby's use of B attacks against the characters who own them truely are better than in mellee. Kirby definitly makes better use of Pit's arrow than Pit himself. If the Pit is spamming, you can simply spam back. When Kirby shoots the arrow, he ducks a little and is too short for an uncontrolled arrow to hit him, and he takes the upper hand. Also, it can be used to easily edgeguard Pit, it cancelles his B-Up at a great range. MK looses alot of advantage when you can counter his close game. The flamethrowing characters, are easily over taken. When they spit fire, I jump and send my own breath at them. It's a good counter.

Half-Split Soul

Smash Lord
I didn´t see any mention of using inhale against opponent hanging from edge. It´s really hard for enemies to get up because the nature of the attack. When you use it at the right distance it swallows enemies that try to roll, jump or attack from the edge and usually outprioritises those that let go and double jump to midair, so it´s pretty good move when trying to damage hanging opponents.

pnoid

Smash Cadet
i love in four player free for alls to make a point to obtain each other persons ability at least once

CompassTosser

Smash Apprentice
if you kirbycide off the edge of stages like final destination, battlefield, smashville. etc.. you can spit your opponent out under the stage so they have a hard time getting back to the ledge. and when they try, edgeguard.

DeepT.

Smash Rookie
wario can eat any of the items but kirby can eat any of the people which makes him 3 times as awesome and its really useful during battle because it gives you an opportunity to attack... kirby is just awesome

Top Bottom