• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Link/Toonlink technique: quickdraw (bow canceling)

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
View the tutorial here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcODP-_bhrI

The quickdraw is essentially a cancelled "bow draw" animation, making Link's and TL's arrow shot animation faster (i.e. the arrow comes out quicker).

To achieve this, just shoot the bow and arrow just before hitting the ground. In this video, I show several scenarios where this simple technique can be used.

I was not the first to discover this technique, I am just putting together this tutorial. I hope the name (quickdraw) is suitable.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
I prefer "Short Hop (Double) Arrow" Myself

Sounds more Top-tier that way

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Can you normal shot -> quickdraw in a full hop with link?
Yes. I think I say it at the end of the video--just forgot to record it. You can double arrow with link (ending in quickdraw/bowcancel) if you do a fullhop. Basically any of link's projectiles can be followed by the bowcancel in a full hop.

Spyckie

Smash Apprentice
I've always wanted to ask - does this cancel the ENDING lag or the BEGINNING lag?

Because cancelling the beginning lag is definitely not nearly as useful, and I would say only do this from far away, and switch to a zair if you're approaching with arrows or something.

Not broken, but still a viable tech since the lag isn't that great anyways.

NeoZ

Smash Ace
I've always wanted to ask - does this cancel the ENDING lag or the BEGINNING lag?

Because cancelling the beginning lag is definitely not nearly as useful, and I would say only do this from far away, and switch to a zair if you're approaching with arrows or something.

Not broken, but still a viable tech since the lag isn't that great anyways.
It cancels the start-up.

Super_Nostalgic

Smash Apprentice
you know whats funny? I think this was intentional. I've been practicing it a bit and I've noticed that usually when you don't do it correctly, he puts his shield and sword away then pulls out the bow and fires an arrow. I did a f-air to a quickdraw and I noticed that he keeps his shield out when he's firing. Is this coencidental? maybe it's just happening so fast and wasn't intended and the shield is "stuck" to his hand. I think those ideas are stupid so I think it was put in on purpose.

Edit: this happens with his forward, back, and neutral aerials. Question though, I'm having problems doing the double bow thing. is there a delay before pressing B or do you just button mash it?

Edit again: I've found that this is also really good follow up to a RAR if they dodge it or w/e. fun mindgame. If they spot dodge, they get hit with an arrow, if they have a short roll, they roll to where you came from, they get hit with an arrow, they dodge where your going, you can use a second b-air before you hit the ground. It's a fun thing to do. Good find with this

Edit again again: Fun mindgame I just did, found, w/e. approach with what would be a RAR, but do it a bit early just to do a reverse B quickdraw to hit them with the arrow. the RAR would have done more damage, but it's a mindgame that makes them guess wiether or not your going through with the RAR or going to "cancel" it into a reverse quickdraw.

Togaboy

Smash Apprentice
Super_Nostalgic,
who are you doing the double bow with? If it's Link, make sure you are full hopping. With either TL or Link, you have to press B rather quickly the first time in order to get the quickdraw for the second shot.

timbers92

Smash Apprentice
Too bad I don't have my Wii right now to test it out right now. I had to send it into Nintendo.

Top Bottom