• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I've figured out why Sakurai put tripping in Brawl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu'sBlueWizardHat

Smash Apprentice
It's Sakurai's way of showing to us, once and for all, that the Smash Bros. games are not true competitive games.

Sure tripping is annoying no matter who you are, but casuals can deal with it because they don't treat Brawl like an olympic sport. It's just like "Oh **** it, Pit stop tripping you ***hole" and then they're done with it. For competitive types, tripping is like the ultimate slap in the face, because it has so much capacity for ruining SERIOUS BUSINESS matches, that you can't even have a fair match without the constant looming threat of tripping at a critical moment. It seems to me like Sakurai added tripping specifically to spite the people who try to take all the fun out of his party game.

And when you also consider that at least 90% of Brawl stages have some stage hazard that makes them not "tournament worthy", and that several characters have special moves that randomly become much, much better (Peach, G&W, King DeDeDe), it becomes obvious that Brawl was not made with fair competition in mind. This can be argued for the previous games as well, even if Melee in particular came closer to fairness than Brawl does.

All I'm saying is, just because you can play 1v1, Final Destination and no items, that doesn't make Brawl a true competitive fighter.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
Hey, when I'm playing Pandemonium on Expert (If anything, this is for competition) in ITG, I can slip. That doesn't make in uncompetitive.

Tripping is more there to spite dashdancers.

Please try again.

Adi

Smash Lord
I think it was to discourage people from staying and camping on the ground in his attempt to make the game more "Aerial-Based".

Toadster5

Smash Journeyman
Why would he go out of his way to alienate the competitive players? And why should he care how we play the game as long as we buy it? It's just bad game design. I could understand if the addition of tripping gave the game a better chance of selling, but that's not the case.

S623

Smash Apprentice
EPIC FAIL.

No, I'm kidding. He doesn't care how we play, just so long as we buy the game and think it's good (That's what I've always thought about real game developers). But, seriously, why does it matter to you? I don't care why he put it in. I don't care what you think his reasoning was. All that matters is that he did, and I'm gonna' play the game with a competitive mindset. So **** you.

ron561

Smash Journeyman
tripping is an epic fail...

As you said,when im playing a non-serious match i just go "oh wow lol*

but when im trying to play a serious match and its pretty close and i trip...
*OMFG YOU LUCKY ***** WHY!!"

SirPenguin

Smash Journeyman
Hey, when I'm playing Pandemonium on Expert (If anything, this is for competition) in ITG, I can slip. That doesn't make in uncompetitive.

Tripping is more there to spite dashdancers.

Please try again.
lol wut?

Tripping is random, not based on anything except perhaps damage. It's not meant to discourage DDers, considering it procs no matter WHAT you do, as long as you move the joystick.

fkacyan

Smash Hero
lol wut?

Tripping is random, not based on anything except perhaps damage. It's not meant to discourage DDers, considering it procs no matter WHAT you do, as long as you move the joystick.
Dashdancers dash more than somebody who rolls, jumps, etc to move around, thus they're more likely to trip.

Duh?

M3tr01D

Smash Lord
Tripping was included to nerf dash dancing and fox trots. If that isn't plainly obvious then something is wrong with your thinking. It wasn't included "to spit competitive players" or as a way for Sakurai to get revenge on players who don't play on his dumb stages that kill you more often then you kill the other opponent. He saw a problem with the game from melee and N64 that he believed should have a fix, so he fixed it. That's what you do when you're a game creator.

Vijin

Smash Ace
It's Sakurai's way of showing to us, once and for all, that the Smash Bros. games are not true competitive games.

Sure tripping is annoying no matter who you are, but casuals can deal with it because they don't treat Brawl like an olympic sport. It's just like "Oh **** it, Pit stop tripping you ***hole" and then they're done with it. For competitive types, tripping is like the ultimate slap in the face, because it has so much capacity for ruining SERIOUS BUSINESS matches, that you can't even have a fair match without the constant looming threat of tripping at a critical moment. It seems to me like Sakurai added tripping specifically to spite the people who try to take all the fun out of his party game.
You sound pretty dumb... so because 'we try to take all the fun out of his party game' he's going to add tripping and take even MORE fun out of the game? That's what you're saying, and that doesn't make any logical sense at all. And tripping isn't going to stop competitive play... so stop hoping for it.
And I'd also like you to clarify this; how do we take the fun out of the game by playing how we want to play? Bringing the game to a more competitive level is more fun for ME, if it's not fun for you, then... to bad. Nobody is stopping you from playing the way you want to play. The only place you'll come across tournament based rules is at... TOURNAMENTS! And you obviously don't go to tournaments, so what's the problem?

And when you also consider that at least 90% of Brawl stages have some stage hazard that makes them not "tournament worthy", and that several characters have special moves that randomly become much, much better (Peach, G&W, King DeDeDe), it becomes obvious that Brawl was not made with fair competition in mind. This can be argued for the previous games as well, even if Melee in particular came closer to fairness than Brawl does.

All I'm saying is, just because you can play 1v1, Final Destination and no items, that doesn't make Brawl a true competitive fighter.
Those special moves can be dodged, blocked, or even grabbed. So no, the fact that they're won't change whether brawl is competitive or not.

And as for the game being a true competitive fighter... you're right. That's not what makes the game competitive. The players are the ones that make it competitive.

TheRooster

Smash Cadet
Hey guys, it sucks for compettetives that they put in a tripping factor-- no doubt in that.
However, I think that everybody else has a lot of fun with it (and there are a lot of them).
Tell me you would like to play Monopoly without any chest cards/rolling doubles/jail?
Most would get bored, and a few might not but Parker Brothers would not make a game thats less about luck if the majority would not enjoy it.

Admit that Brawl is party game and cut your losses. Play it the way you want to (or not at all), and lets get over how unfair life is.

DeathNote

Smash Apprentice
Wait a sec... did I just read that Melee was more fair than Brawl? You mean Melee as in the game where basically 4 characters dominated (Fox, Falco, Sheik, Marth) and the rest were put in the crap tier?

Brawl is more balanced. All the characters stand a chance now.

I haven't tripped once... in fact I forgot it was in the game.

As said before, it was made in order to balance out dash-dancers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom