• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Something about the new ATs

willtheshadow

Smash Cadet
I dont know if this has been discovered yet so ill post it anyway. The new ATs givin the names Pandasticking, crossticking, b-sticking, and wave bouncing, that all require the c-stick being set to special. This can be done without the c-stick change. and also can be used to completly reverse momentum and change direction. Example: you can jump forward, then turn around mid air and wave bouce in thae revese direction while doing you speciall in that direction

edit: also, this is much harder to do than the c-stick change and requires more skill. You also wont have to worry about custom controls a tournies.

Edit:another application for this with lucario for example is that it can completly stop momentum from being smashed of stage.

Negative Zero

Smash Apprentice
You haven't explained how exactly this is done yet. I don't think you understand the idea behind that advanced technique.

willtheshadow

Smash Cadet
yeah I do, I've seen the videos. You have to do it fast but it is possible. You jump forward and do your special off choice and immediatly smash the other direction. If you do it really fast the charater turns around and goes the other way. If you do it moderatly fast then they wavebouce as the c stick would normally cause it to happen.

Edit: I've only tried it with lucario since I'm most familiar with him. another example is that I can rush forward, jump and in mid air I can turn around charge aura sphere and bounce back to where I jumped from. Ima try it with marth now.

Tyr_03

Smash Champion
I want to say that he's right. I've been able to wavebounce Lucas's down B without changing my controls. Yes I've watched the videos etc. It seems to be the same thing but with a difficult timing to get down.

mugwhump

Smash Journeyman
Yes indeed, many specials can be reversed after you start them. In the air, this provides a wavebounce-like effect. However, the effect is not as strong as when you use your c-stick to wavebounce. It is teh mysterious. :bee:

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Anything requiring a control scheme change should NOT be considered an AT. It's just a technique made for that control being for that button. There's nothing advanced about it.

willtheshadow

Smash Cadet
Thats what im saying. You can do it without the b stick. You ccan get the same effect but it has very difficult timing making it an At. Later, I hope this goes somewhere.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, what's causing the DI for the c-stick is.. When you tap left and release. It does the side-B left, but then it faces back to the right. You have to hold the c-stick in the direction to do the move that way. So, without the controls changed. When you're in the air facing right, slam the joystick left do side-b then slam it right. If you change directions back to the original after changing it once.. It seems to move you for some reason. *shrug*

EDIT: If this is even what this topic is about.. o.0

EDIT2: Incase I'm bad at explaining..

Dash Right
Jump Right
SideB Left
Slam Right immediately after

EDIT3: Doing this with Lucas on FD moves him nearly half the stage. o.0

EDIT4: I believe the sooner you do it after jumping, and the sooner you slam the direction of the dash again, the further you will go.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
When i first saw B sticking effects i figured they had to be able other methods to produce those results, i tried a few things, but without any easy proof i gave up. Your post brought me back to it though, and after some time i was able to do it, though i'm not exactly consistant yet. Its much more difficult with the SideB than neutral B if your just starting out (for Lucario at least). Anyway good find, lucario is my 2nd so i may make a little use out of this, unfortunately olimar as my main doesn't benefit too much from this technique. Really it makes sense that it would be done this way, since you can use the c stick reconfiguration to automatically do the backwards jump with momentum as well, which can be done with a normal configuration with the same quick joystick movement. Not life changing or game breaking, but an honestly good simple find, congrats.

-True

WastingPenguins

Smash Ace
You can get a SIMILAR but ultimately less pronounced effect. Why? Because the spit second that you're pressing the control stick in one direction to do an attack affects your DI in the wrong direction, no matter how fast you do it. You can do turn around specials, but doing so as quickly and with as much forward momentum isn't possible.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
DI isn't causing the momentum... but having C set to special does it pretty much frame perfect, allowing for the best distance each time.

Keta

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, I don't really see why anyone would want to use this technique in the first place. *shrug*

EDIT: Other than Lucas.. He just goes flying backwards, but then it's still not super useful for him. I don't see this being used that much.. but it is fun atm. lol

Mama

Smash Ace
Well thats all fine and dandy but just because something is difficult doesn't make it advanced. Thats foolish noob thinking. No way around it. Only a noob looks at Melee's advanced techniques and says they're advanced simply because they're hard. Look at short hopping...advanced but so simple its stupefying.

What makes an advanced technique an advanced technique? Its not how difficult it is to perform, its not how many people know about it, and its not always some kind of glitch or bug. Its something done that helps boost your play and that is not something that is apparent to every Tom, ****, or Harry that picks up a controller. It may use a different control scheme but utilizing that control scheme in this manner is in fact, a technique.

Anyway, doing something for the sake of difficulty is idiotic no matter how you look at it. It doesn't make you valiant or honorable. Such thinking is the way of the scrub player. The only good thing I see in this is probably being able to turn around and do it another way but for all I know you could do that by B-Sticking also. I wouldn't know since I don't use it yet.

Bottom line, just because it can be done manually doesn't mean it should. Changing the direction in mid jump may be the only useful thing out of this thread but thats about it. And allowing controller customization is something people are just going to have to except. When you go to a tourney for a FPS changing controller options is a given since everyone has their own preference. Smash should be no different since people are given the option to do so it should be allowed. If you want to discuss that go to the thread for it.

EDIT : also another + for B-sticking is auto reverse back airs. Sure that can be done manually but as I said before, difficulty for the sake of being difficult is idiotic. However I don't use the set up since the characters I'm currently using benefit more from me C-sticking. But when I start training with Ness then I'll have 2 names and adapt myself to two play styles. Simple as that.

SqueakyMetal

Smash Cadet
actually @Mama

they aren't in vain doing this the difficult way.
im sure by now you have tripped during gameplay. this horrible 1% tipping mechanism is when you move the controller stick left or right fast.(i don't mean multiple times) This means you can trip doing a smash attack. So how do we smash attack without tripping?
The c-stick is the answer. the c-stick will not cause you to trip no matter how many times you smash with it. Only the controller stick will. We need a free smash attacking c-stick to reduce the number of times we use something that might cause us to trip.

FartKnocker

Smash Apprentice
EDIT: Other than Lucas.. He just goes flying backwards, but then it's still not super useful for him. I don't see this being used that much.. but it is fun atm. lol
I use ZSS's side-B when c-sticking/wavebouncing/"pandasticking" (eyeroll here...call it something useful and unambiguous like "b bouncing" IMO). It's super effective! No, really. It's just one more way to mix it up and leave your opponent guessing where you're coming from and where you're going.

Good find, OP, I was figuring there would be another way to do it without changing my c-stick config. I'll go home and see how hard this is for me to consistently perform. I grew up with fighting games and SF so I might just be able to perfect it (like most ridiculous inputs) and reserve my c-stick for smashes (or grab for DDD).

fauxpas

Smash Rookie
well said... the crazy thing is in reading half the stuff folks bring up in here, I can't think of why I'd want to integrate it into my play style.

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
So you can B-Stick without the C-Stick? Though it may be more difficult, it could potentially help people that want to keep C-Stick as Smash.

Koga

Smash Journeyman
You can Seudo WaveBounce Normal arials by using the C-Stick but pushing the Control stick in the oposite direction of your current momentum. Not a big find but useful for spacing.

willtheshadow

Smash Cadet
You cant do the turn around with b-sticking, also producing the retreating wavebounce is tricky. The main reason I shared this though is that poeple wanted to keep there c-smash attacks as well as the fact that custom control setups prolly wont be allowed at tournies.

Top Bottom