• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Lag Alleviation Thread: EVERYTHING you can do to reduce lag!

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Here are all the possibilities to eliminate/reduce lag in online matches:

1. USB Adaptor for a Wired Connection

It's $25 and it eliminates all concern about whether or not your wifi is on the right channel, has enough strength, has too much inteference, etc. $25 and it comes with a cable. You also won't have to type in a god**** 26-digit WEP key with the software keyboard (yay!)

My Wii has a terrible tendency to lose its online settings and forget how to connect to the wifi network, meaning I'd have to reenter the WEP key and settings every time. I HIGHLY recommend a USB adaptor if you live in an area with many wifi networks or people using cordless phones.

Cordless phones which function in the 2.6 GHz range will KILL wifi signal, and don't forget that even if your household doesn't have one, your neighbors still might. All the more reason to run a wire if at all possible.

2. Open UDP ports going out or DMZ your Wii's IP address.

Most routers have a DMZ option, aka "demilitarized zone", meaning that whichever IP address has the DMZ on it will have full incoming and outgoing access to all ports.

1. Log into your router (usually http://192.168.1.1/). If you don't know your router's IP, use the "Run..." command in Windows and put in "ipconfig" and hit enter. One of the values it returns should be "Gateway" and you'll have an IP address for the Gateway: that's your "gateway" to the internet, aka your router's IP address. Put it into a browser window as the URL and hit enter.

2. Find the router's DHCP connection list. On this list, you will find your Wii (if it's on and WC24 is running, that is).

3. Copy your Wii's IP address and go to the router's DMZ section (DMZ = demilitarized zone, meaning all ports open).

4. Put the Wii's IP address into the DMZ, save the settings and reboot the router.

5. Try Brawl and see how it works.

NOTE: Your Wii's IP address can and will change if it's connecting through DHCP. This will behave as a temporary test to see if your Wii sees improvement or not.

You're basically opening your firewall to your Wii, which SHOULD mean that Gamespy's servers no longer need to proxy the stream so the two Wiis can remain connected, which is how it currently must behave if one or both Wiis is behind a firewall which normally blocks incoming connections from programs like Brawl.

To check to see if your ports are open, use this: http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

It's Nintendo's own network tester (you'll need XP and IE to use it, though).

This thread might also help: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=928518&topic=41913059

3. Don't download crap while playing Brawl and don't let others download crap, either

This is universal for any online gaming. My Team Fortress ping has gone insane whenever someone starts a bittorrent.

4. Make sure those you play with have their Wii DMZed as well!

It doesn't matter how open your firewall is if your online friends have theirs closed. This means that you're still going to be forced to proxy through Gamespy's servers on some level. Ideally, you want to establish a direct connection to your opponent, and this can only happen if Gamespy isn't needed as an intermediary to get through a firewall for either of the users.

5. Have the same ISP in your region (UNDER CONSIDERATION)

It made no sense to me why I have zero lag to a player in Maryland while I'm in New Hampshire and get lag to players in the same state.

...Until an engineer buddy of mine suggested asking what connection we have: we BOTH have Verizon DSL!

Being on the Verizon backbone is the key. It's not the connection or the distance, it's the ISP!

My advice: start looking for players with the same ISP as you. We need more confirmation as to whether or not this is the case. See what kind of connections you get when you seek players with the same ISP (like if you both have comcast or roadrunner, etc.).

I'm going to look for other players with Verizon DSL and see what results I get.

6. Play with people relatively close to you

Even on the same provider, someone across the country will lag you. I recommend using SWF's own Friend Finder to find players near to you:

http://smashboards.com/ff/

Remember, the less overall distance, the better the chance you have of getting a decent connection, so include your state/region in your profile location and look for people close to you.

7. Tell Nintendo your problems

They have a specific page just for errors and the like when playing SSBB:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wfc/en_na/wii/wfc_error_report.jsp

This is mostly for people who repeatedly get the same error codes, but still, developers can do nothing to fix the problem without feedback from their customers.

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
It made no sense to me why I have zero lag to a player in Maryland while I'm in New Hampshire and get lag to players in the same state.

...Until an engineer buddy of mine suggested asking what connection we have: we BOTH have Verizon DSL!

Being on the Verizon backbone is the key. It's not the connection or the distance, it's the ISP!

My advice: start looking for players with the same ISP as you. We need more confirmation as to whether or not this is the case. See what kind of connections you get when you seek players with the same ISP (like if you both have comcast or roadrunner, etc.).

I'm going to look for other players with Verizon DSL and see what results I get.

More as it develops...
I think you maybe on to something here.I too have Verizon DSL and a buddy of mines connect and have kick *** connections then viceversa with others that have Cable,T1 and the like.Add me asap bro so we can confirm this.My pals connection is Green status.

pneuma14

Smash Rookie
I dunno, because I played someone in the same city as me, and even though we were both on Comcast there was a mild lag. However, I've had randomly lag-free games with other people in nearby cities and states (west coast, fyi), although I didn't ask them what their connection was. Maybe Verizon is just better than Comcast...

b13lion

Smash Apprentice
I have Cox cable internet and most of the time the lag isn't too horible when I play people in my own state, it just depends what kind of connection the other person has...I've had a better connection with a friend in Dallas(I live in New Orleans) than I've had with some people in New Orleans so yea I think it definitly depends on what type of connection both parties have.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No.

Just no.

No other online game has the issues Nintendo is having. It's because the Wii can walk, and the Wii can chew gum, but it cannot do both at the same time. Don't expect to get lightning fast processing out of the Wii, it just can't handle it.

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
No.

Just no.

No other online game has the issues Nintendo is having. It's because the Wii can walk, and the Wii can chew gum, but it cannot do both at the same time. Don't expect to get lightning fast processing out of the Wii, it just can't handle it.
You've got a good point, but there's got to be some reason why Smash_Brother and I have less laggy matches against each other that matches between people in our own respective states. The common denominator was our ISP.

TheLake

Smash Master
I'd say this is definatly worth looking into regardless.

Everyone post your findings, the expemirments begin at dawn!!

C-Dizzle

Smash Apprentice
Yeah i have DSL . I use the wireless connection on it. So I woulld also like to conduct this lil experiment. But if thats all tru that will suck for me, cuz im like the only one of my friends with DSL! *wahhwahh*

Caturdayz

Smash Journeyman
Well this thread is a failure. Your ISP doesn't matter. Now if you are on dial-up you are obviously going to have problems... but beyond that it would make little difference.

Rhyme

Smash Lord
No.

Just no.

LOL.

I seriously doubt that similar ISP will be an end-all solution. Good in theory, but it's not gonna hold any water.

Kilikan

Smash Apprentice
your engineering friend is probably wrong, isp would only matter when connecting & on YOUR connection to NOA' s 'parent ' and in term 'children' servers scattered around the globe, as well as the time these children servers take to take/give info to/from you and to/from noa. LOCATION IS MOST RELEVANT.

Zodiac

Smash Master
Wow, theres a lot of bast@rds that are just plain @ssHoles on smash boards

Dragonboy2k4

Smash Ace
Wow, theres a lot of bast@rds that are just plain @ssHoles on smash boards

Yeah,thats part of the reason why Iam hardly here anymore.I dont have time to listen to what people gotta say about this and what or who characters and such while 1.5 million and counting are enjoying the #@!$ outta this game.Half these guys are lying about their ages for starters no surprize there,and if they are not,well..lets just say some people said no to the option of seeing CC cups and yes to seeing GC controllers which is why there right where theyll stay 20 years from now.. :laugh:

Mikezor

Smash Journeyman
Yeah,thats part of the reason why Iam hardly here anymore.I dont have time to listen to what people gotta say about this and what or who characters and such while 1.5 million and counting are enjoying the #@!$ outta this game.Half these guys are lying about their ages for starters no surprize there,and if they are not,well..lets just say some people said no to the option of seeing CC cups and yes to seeing GC controllers which is why there right where theyll stay 20 years from now.. :laugh:
What are you talking about ages for? Are you trying to cover something up yourself?

And on topic, I don't think having the same ISP has much to do with this issue. Almost all the people I know have Comcast (including me) and the lag can be anywhere from perfect to terrible.

KonradGabreil

Smash Cadet
Yeah, this is a really good discovery..
Are you sure that is all there is to it? The type of thing you have? Plus connection, of course.. yep, that is a sound discovery.

Sethisto

Smash Rookie
This doesn't have an effect, i've played with people on my same isp, and people outside it (cox) and still get the same lag all around.

CurryLad

Smash Cadet
WOW person here. tell me if any of you have WOW as your ISP. Worth a shot.

P.S. I have had only 1 laggy game so far. I have played over 50 online games with friends now too, including some from here.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
It's a sound theory, and I'll explain why...

Internet connectivity happens not by distance, but by "router hops". A router hop is when your connection passes through different high-profile ISP hardware into another piece of high-profile hardware.

Try this:

Open a DOS prompt and type "tracert www.smashboards.com" and press enter.

You will see a list of router hops through which your connection is going to reach the SWF, next to each of which is a ping, telling you how long it took for your connection to reach that particular router.

One of the down sides of any internet activity is that a single router having issues can cause extreme amounts of lag. With a traceroute, you can determine which router hop is causing you problems.

Now, when it comes to connecting to other SSBB players, if you're on the same ISP, it likely means that the connection will never leave the domain of your ISP, meaning that you should have fewer router hops and overall better connectivity.

Obviously, it won't matter if you're across the entire US because the number of router hops will still be immensely high, even if you have the same ISP.

I agree that there's more going on here than simply router hops, mainly packet loss on individual connections due to bad cables or firewalls slowing down connectivity. However, minimizing the travel time between two connections by ensuring that your connection never exits the ISP's backbone is far from unreasonable.

If anyone is on Verizon in the Northeast and wants to add me, I'm 4468 0633 3159. PM me if you add me.

BDawgPHD

Smash Ace
everyone i know is on cox, but we all get delays up the wazoo
Lemme just give you guys a quick lesson about connections and lag and stuff.

It doesn't make a bit of difference how fast your internet is. THE KEY IS THE UPLOAD RATE. That's the first place to start. Cable is notorious for having awesome download speed, yet ****ty upload rate. Verizon DSL users usually have decent upload, bottom end verizon internet has about the same upload as Comcast, probably a bit more, and high end (not fios) has about 768 kbps upload. In Halo 2, when playing on xbconnect, that'll usually host 8 players with negligible lag. I don't know what it means for Brawl, since it's a different game, but I'd think it should lag less. Regardless of who hosts, both players have to have a decent upload to realistically play, but the host should be the player with the greater upload.

As SB just said, firewalls and bad routers probably play a role. I don't know what ports you'd have to open or what specific things cause problems, unfortunately.

DSL is terrible for online games in general.

You're some kind of moron, you know that? Either that, or I'm just used to verizon DSL, which is win.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I admit that Verizon has its fair share of problems (and their customer support is a NIGHTMARE), but I have the 768k upload rate and it's necessary.

Typically, any router can be set to have a DMZ (demilitarized zone) which opens all ports too and from ONE device on your network. I'd advise logging into your router and making your Wii that device.

Nintendo also advises that you open certain ports going OUT of your router, and they even have a test on their site to confirm whether or not they're open for you:

http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/systems/wii/en_na/NetworkTest.jsp

You need XP and IE7, but it should work.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
I've gone ahead and turned this into a full blown anti-lag thread, bringing over a post from another forum I had already put together.

jocar626

Smash Rookie
im trying to find my dhcp list in my router and so far no luck. im using a linksys wrt54g router, dhcp is enabled, just need to find my wii's address so i can put in in my DMZ.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Is there a "status" tab? You might find it under that, or "LAN statistics" or "DHCP Statistics" or maybe just Statistics in general.

LOST_815

Smash Cadet
I think I'm going to buy a USB LAN adapter... hope my lag is lessened.

Maybe I'll buy it at a dept. store instead of online, so if there is no improvement I can return it.

Thanks for the other tips in the OP, need to try the DMZ stuff.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
You can get it for $25 at any Gamestop and it eliminates all the guesswork. For $25, the piece of mind alone is worth it, I think.

My Wii is in a very congested signal area and the wifi was sporadic and unreliable, hence why I went wired.

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
The lag is getting worse.

Today, people who I used to have green connections with are now yellow...

Sigh...

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Thanks, I'm doing what I can to help, but it still feels like the biggest issue is Nintendo's servers. :(

S_B

Too Drunk to Smash
Switch FC
SW 5369-1969-6280
Depends upon your router brand.

Some will have them in the manual, but others can be found by typing "______ router default password" into google, where _______ is the brand of your router.

Try "admin" for a username and no password. That sometimes works.

Top Bottom