• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Skler's Link guide: How to Play Link and Not Lose Too Much. Jab lock included!

Skler

Smash Master
How to Play Link and Not Lose Too Much.​

Attractive title, isn't it? I'd like to say first of all that Link is not good in Brawl up to this point in time, and he probably won't ever be considered good. That being said, I figured I'd make a Link guide because he's still fun to play and I don't want everyone to think Link players = free win.

This guide will not list all of Link's attacks, how much damage they do and how far they send opponents. This guide will teach you how to play Link, not everything there is to know about him. I will assume you all know the basic smash terminology, so I will not list words either. I won't be listing combos (like anything is garunteed in Brawl), I will be listing what you should try to do with your attacks depending on what is going on. I will also explain how to deal with certain situations (being outspammed, playing slow characters, approaching and defending) but I will not be specific. Good players are not created by memorizing guides, they are made by learning general knowledge and figuring out what works best for them. I'm laying down basic guidelines, I'm not telling you exactly how to react in each situation.

I. Link's projectile game part I: How to win against characters worse than Link

II. Link's projectile game part II: How to fight characters that can deal with projectiles

III. Link's projectile game part III: How to fight characters that can spam back

IV. Link's approach game: You're probably screwed

V. Link's aerial game: Finally, good news

VI. Link's defensive game: Holy ****, he's good at this!

VII. Link's shield game: Why is everything I do so slow!?

VIII. Link's "combo" game: Uhm, you can hit them twice sometimes

IX. Link's recovery: I sure hope you DIed that hit correctly

X. Link's edgeguard: I wish you could go farther away from the stage

XI. Link tricks: Shhh, don't tell anybody!

XII. Link's Character Matchups: Incomplete!

XIII: Afterword

______________________________________________________________________________________

I. Link's projectile game part I: How to win against characters worse than Link​

Link, as you should know, has three different projectiles. They aren't the best, but they still give him the upper hand against certain slow characters that lack projectiles. Spamming for an entire game might not seem like fun (and it isn't), but it will win you the game against characters such as Ganondorf and DK. They are both slow and have no projectiles, all you need to do is run away while throwing boomerangs, bombs and shooting arrows. You never even need to touch them and you will win on either time limit or having bombs KO them 3 times.

II. Link's projectile game part II: How to fight characters that can deal with projectiles​

This goes for the characters like Marth, Metaknight and Diddy, they have no spam (they may have a projectile, but not a spammable one) but they can approach you in spite of all your projectiles. Randomly throwing out all of your projectiles will not work against them as they can either catch them (bombs), cancel them with attacks or shield them before continuing their approach. In these cases you will have to resort to actual fighting, but your projectiles are still useful. The beauty of Link's projectiles is that they are highly controllable, you choose where they go and how quickly they get there. Against characters that can handle spam you must limit their options, make it so they have to approach in a way that gives you the advantage. If they usually rely on an aerial approach you can throw a boomerang up or toss a bomb in the air, if they need to approach on the ground you can FJ double arrow, throw boomerangs directly in front of you or lob a bomb at them. If they have an incredible offensive game but have a poor defensive game you can use projectiles to shield your approach and force them to play a more defensive game.

III. Link's projectile game part III: How to fight characters that can spam back​

This will explain the best way to fight characters with good spam games, characters like Toon Link, Falco, Wolf, and DDD (believe it or not, his spam is better than yours). These are your hardest matches because Link is bad at approaching. In these matchups you must use your projectiles to create openings in their spam game. For example, if you are against a Wolf who is spamming his blaster you would want to jump over his shots and throw a projectile at him in order to stop his spam for a moment. Once you create an opening you may either pull a bomb (if you want to fight spam with spam, which I don't suggest doing unless you are at a % where you can be KOed easily, in which case they will approach you) or get close to them.

IV. Link's approach game: You're probably screwed​

Link does not have any safe approach options. You will only be able to successfully approach an opponent if you can out think them or if they play a bad character. Spacing is your friend if you have to approach. Know the range of the other character's best move and stay out of it while throwing out attacks with good range and low lag (jabs, aerial clawshot, even the fsmash when spaced properly is hard to get by). If you notice they love to shield FJ a dair (done as soon as you leave the ground) and tap them with it. Not only does it weaken their shield a ton, but it also has no lag since you bounce off the shield and the move ends right before you land. You can also approach with the shield in hopes of your opponent attacking it, allowing you to punish them, but this can backfire if they decide to grab you or use quick poking attacks. Another interesting way to deal with shielders is to SHFF a nair and land behind them, unless they have a good usmash you should have enough time to turn around and start jabbing the back of their shield.

V. Link's aerial game: Finally, good news​

Link has one of the strongest aerials in the game. His dair can KO most characters at 100% on almost any stage (depending on DI). The problem is the dair is laggy and does not have a huge hitbox. The dair when C-sticked makes you fall very quickly, faster than most characters in Brawl fall, and you can use it to catch up to floaty characters that chased you into the air. Anyways, enough on the dair, it's powerful but isn't easy to land. Develop your own tricks for it.

If you find yourself hit in the air and pursued (characters like Toon Link love following people into the air) don't be afraid to throw out fairs. The fair has good range and high knockback. Landing the fair can KO your opponent, and at the very least it will knock the opponent far enough away to let you reach the ground in peace. If they're behind you in the air the bair is quick and has good range, but it doesn't have the disjointed hitbox the fair has. I usually just airdodge through their attack and hope I can reach the ground before them if I feel the bair won't connect. The nair has almost no use in air to air combat, the only time to use it if is you need a quick attack and the opponent is right next to you.

VI. Link's defensive game: Holy ****, he's good at this!​

Link has a sword. This fact makes Link pretty tough to approach, and when you add his clawshot and projectiles to the sword you have a very difficult to approach character. Any short hopped approaches can be stopped with the clawshot, and ground approaches can be stopped by projectiles and spaced moves with good range. The dsmash is a beautiful defensive move now, as it is extremely fast and pushes the opponent out of range even if it is shielded. If your opponent approaches you from anywhere higher than a shorthop you can either utilt, usmash or uair them. Link's uair has amazing priority and can stop **** near any approach from above him.

VII. Link's shield game: Why is everything I do so slow!?​

Link's options out of the shield are simple. Let down the shield and do an attack if they used something slow and in range, grab if they used something really slow and in range, roll if your being pressured by well spaced, low lag moves, jump out of shield if you feel an aerial is a good idea (it usually isn't since Link's jump is slow), spin attack if they did something moderately slow (or behind you) and are at a % where the spin can give you some breathing room or usmash out of shield if they did something really close and kind of slow. Link's shield options are pretty slow (although they are powerful), so you should usually be defending yourself with attacks, not with your shield.

VIII. Link's "combo" game: Uhm, you can hit them twice sometimes​

Link can't combo unless his opponent has bad DI or walks into a utilt at about 30%. That being said, Link does have impressive range and the ability to put opponents into bad positions after he hits them. Let's say you're playing against Ike and you hit him with a utilt at about 50%. He goes too high to combo, but you can still follow his DI and be ready to attack where he will land. You can use projectiles to force your opponent to land where you want him to and ready an attack for when he gets there. Link can't combo, but he can sure as hell land consecutive hits.

IX. Link's recovery: I sure hope you DIed that hit correctly​

Link has a bad recovery. The most you can do when hit off the stage is DI well and airdodge through any attempted edgeguards. Sometimes I toss a boomerang down and towards the stage in an attempt to drag the opponent off the edge with the gale (or at least force them to shield it) but nobody falls for that. It deters them from jumping out at me (because they can't stop themselves from being dragged off if they're in the air) but they can still go over/under it. All you can really do is airdodge and upB. Good luck.

Once on the edge you still have to get back up on the stage. As you know you can stand up, attack up, jump up, roll up or edgehop. I'll talk about the edgehop, since it's the only one that people may not be very familiar with. You can edgehop any aerial you have, even the aerial clawshot (although it takes a lot of practice and has almost no range). With the fair you can even pull off both hits if you're quick enough, and the nair allows you to edgehop it and regrab the edge without even having to upB. The option you choose should depend on where the opponent is and what he is doing. I'll let you guys figure out what works best for you in each situation, just make sure you know your options and keep yourselves unpredictable.

X. Link's edgeguard: I wish you could go farther away from the stage​

Since Link has a bad recovery his edgeguarding is pretty limited. You can jump out with any aerial you want (please don't use the uair) and make it back, but you can't go too far from the edge. The bair can be used twice jumping from the edge grab itself as long as you start to DI back after the fist bair is finished, and with it's increased knockback I'd say it's one of your better options. You can always toss projectiles at them (the gale actually has a use now), but since everyone has a great recovery that will hardly stop them from getting back. Your best bet if to jump out with an aerial or two, grab the edge and then go back out for more hits. Use the dair if they're at a high %, nobody suspects the dair. Nobody.

XI. Link's tricks: Shhh, don't tell anybody!​

Link, being the oh so resourceful hero he is, has some neat little tricks he can do (or "mindgamez" if you will). This is the only section I will give you specific things to do, because most people aren't creative enough to figure this stuff out on their own. For example, if your opponent is near the edge you can fsmash their shield to push them off the edge and catch them with the second hit before they can grab the edge. Useful? Yes. Situational? Very. Surprising? Moderately

Link can also SH a bair and double jump out of it. This is extremely useful when you consider that if you dash and hit back quickly before jumping you will jump backwards in the direction you were dashing. If you do all that jazz with the dashing and end up SHing a bair at your opponent's shield you can bait a shieldgrab (or any response) from them and land with any aerial on them (or use any aerial on the back of their shield if they don't try to grab/usmash you, or even just land behind them). I would have mentioned this in the approach section, but if you make a habit of using this your opponent will just smack you out of the bair.

Jab Lock- If the opponent misses a tech in front of you just use Link's jab on them. The jab will cause them to bounce, you may then walk forward and jab again (It's just like Falco's laser lock, but with jabs.). You can keep going thing until the opponent falls off the stage, or until you want to try and predict their tech (or lack thereof). The easiest way to get them into this is a close up Gale Boomerang, since it knocks the opponent close enough for jab followups and forces them to either tech or get locked.

I'd mention a ton of crap about the Gale Boomerang here, but except for as an edgeguard it has a really good chance of backfiring on you (assuming your opponent understands the gale boomerang).

XII. Link's Character Matchups: Incomplete!​

This is where I'll put all of Link's matchups (in no particular order for now), I'll gradually update this section until it includes everyone.

1. Sonic
Sonic is his name and speed's his game! With that being said, throw all of your projectiles at him. Sonic has some strange approaches he can use (spindash cancelled into a jump, upB into dairs that autocancel) but nothing that you can't stop with some good old fashioned projectiles and stabs. Sonic's main approaches will be on the ground, so keep your boomerang low this match to mess with him. Sonic is also really light, the dair should KO him around 90% on most stages. Go air to air with Sonic as much as possible, most of his aerials are pretty bad (with the exception of the bair and uair, sort of) and he lacks the mobility he has on the ground there. Bombs send him in the air, he's bad in the air. Think about it.

Last but not least, don't approach Sonic, he has to come to you.

XIII. Afterword​

Maybe this "guide" helped you. Maybe I'll expand on it later. Maybe I should have organized my thoughts better. Maybe I'm too lazy to care. When it's all said and done I hope you took something away from this, guides that tell you exactly what to do suck (use the nair then bair into a fair -> aerial clawshot -> dair, I swear it works!!!!111) so I tried to do something different. It's all just my thoughts on how to play Link and not lose too much.

Eten

Smash Ace
It works, but sounds negative to me. What I want to highlight out of your guide is parts II. and VI., as they will take you very far.

Also, what needs to be done, either here or somewhere else, is a guide to how to get the best use out of link's projectiles. IE. Trajectories, how to shorten/skip the animations that leave you open and how to link them to each other, and how to move with them, because understanding that I feel is extremely related to link's game.

Lastly, I'm just curious on what characters you are referring to that you might be approaching on IV.

Skler

Smash Master
I play Link because I'm good with him and I have fun with him. In Melee all the best Link players accepted that Link was not particularly good, the same goes for Brawl. You have to understand Link's weak points and learn how to deal with them. Link has his good side (sword range, good setups with projectiles) but he also falls short in a lot of areas. You have to understand the character to use him correctly, and that includes understanding he is not good.

@Eten- You have to approach characters like Falco, Toon Link and pretty much anyone with a good spam game. Link has great projectiles but a pretty average spam game (his projectiles are good for setups, not for direct spam due to their slowness). DDD is a good example of having a mediocre projectile but a good spam game. Waddle Dee's are quick to throw and have little lag, but they are uncontrollable. DDD can spam just as well or better than Link with his mediocre projectile, although Link has a better overall projectile game than him.

Spyda

Smash Journeyman
You... play Link? You sure you .... dont hate him? T-T overall pretty decent guide! thanks

St. Viers

Smash Champion
You... play Link? You sure you .... dont hate him? T-T overall pretty decent guide! thanks
Skler happens to be one of the best melee Link players...He doesn't hate link, he's just realistic about the defects of the character he likes using. Which is good, because when you recognize that your character has a weakness, you can think about how to fix said weakness ....

NiRV7iQ

Smash Apprentice
Thanks Skler. Was waiting on something from you.

I'm still having some issues with his back air though. In melee it was probably one of my most helpful damage builders(bair to nair, dthrow to bair etc) and in this game I've only been able to use it as a "Holy **** get the **** away from me" approach stopper. I'm wondering if you've found any situations where you have been able to set up for the back air to use it similarly to melee... I've heard something to nair to bair instead of bair to nair... thoughts?

Skler

Smash Master
I haven't seen any combos involving the bair unless bad DI is involved, but the bair is a pretty decent out of shield move if the opponent is behind you for some reason. You can also SH bair into a double jump, just like in Melee. It might allow for some effective shield pressure or even a solid approach, I'm just not sure if the bair has enough shield stun to make it safe.

The bair is a pretty solid edgeguard right now due to it's increased knockback and lack of lag. You can jump after hanging off the edge, bair twice and return to the edge. Just make sure after the first bair is finished you start DIing towards the stage. While on the subject of edgeguarding, you can jump off, nair and regrab the edge now. That's pretty handy.

Edit: Bombs explode on the Waddle Dees that DDD throws, and DDD throws waddle dees faster than Link can pull bombs.

ace_skoot

Smash Rookie
I use link in Melee for tournaments and he's my main, I always considered him a well balanced character, if the rest of the characters were more like link the game would be far less broken at times, in brawl generally he is better all around, maybe you can't spam spin attack as much, but it still has it's qualities.

I'm always thankful for guides and points for improving my game, but why the negativity, sure he has shortcomings but pretty much every character does in one area or another.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
Yes Skler.
So I was playing Link the first time in Brawl and guess how many combos came up?
none.
Link is now gay XD
In Melee he is was ***** and now I think he got a bit worst.
But STILL I'm going to main Link, i don't care if he sucks so anything, I'm still using him.
I think we need Germ(if you don't know him, he's one of the best Link players in Melee) to play brawl.

BTW if you guys play with smash ball i found a good way to dodge fox and falcos special.
Grab edge>Let Go And Chain. Repeat.

Eten

Smash Ace
I think you all need to get used to the fact that Brawl is not a combo game. There are very very few combos out there. In melee link could be pwned back and forth in certain match-ups, essentially comboed to hell. This doesn't happen anymore TO link and link doesn't do it to others. His lack of combo-game is not really a weakness. His recovery, on the other hand...

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
You can do an aaa leading into a dash attack and then a quick up smash right? taking the game airborne... maybe following a spin attack?

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
DDD is a good example of having a mediocre projectile but a good spam game. Waddle Dee's are quick to throw and have little lag, but they are uncontrollable. DDD can spam just as well or better than Link with his mediocre projectile, although Link has a better overall projectile game than him.

Ok I checked things out and I was right, Link's bombs do go through wattle dees. The wattle dees get knocked back while the bomb continues its course.

I saved a replay on my wii. People don't like downloading .bin files so I can just send the replay over the wii. I had to control two controllers so sometimes different moves will happen. But it definitely cuts through Dedede's spam. He can throw faster, but link has more tricks up his sleeve as in running up a few feet to dodge them... You can also just do an aaa combo to ko them.

Aleol

Smash Journeyman
Skler: can I put your good (albeit Link-bashing) guide in a thread on my clan's forum?

...even though it will probably be for naught, because everyone will generally be coming through here...

Oh, well... just in case?

Aurashade

Smash Ace
THE HALL OF FAME WHERE THE COOL PEOPLE GO
Yes Skler.
So I was playing Link the first time in Brawl and guess how many combos came up?
none.
Link is now gay XD
In Melee he is was ***** and now I think he got a bit worst.
But STILL I'm going to main Link, i don't care if he sucks so anything, I'm still using him.
I think we need Germ(if you don't know him, he's one of the best Link players in Melee) to play brawl.

BTW if you guys play with smash ball i found a good way to dodge fox and falcos special.
Grab edge>Let Go And Chain. Repeat.
You have got to be the biggest moron ever to grace these boards, or one of them. Learn to spell and make sense, because that post failed both.

Skler, that guide helped me a great deal, and I'm a ****ing awesome Link.

bigafromusclekid

Smash Cadet
Overall, it was a good guide. Yet you said the only way to win is focusing on projectile spamming, yet no opponent you ever face will spam projectiles like that and expect to win. DI everything up, and your recovery will never be a problem, since DI is easy to do.

His f-tilt, forward smash, and even his jab combo all have great range and will **** toon link with ease. Approaching a spammer is easy. Especially DDD. If he throws his S*** at you, dair him. His lag is so long on it that a spaced zair will be enough to punish him, and if he shields, he'll be too far to shieldgrab you and you can do whatever you want.

Against pit, shff nair's and fair's along with the occasional zair works alright. Pit has crap range, and you can take advantage of this at every turn. Poof his stupid arrows and it's GG, or just avoid them, which isn't impossibly hard.

Link has great approaches. Approach with FLDA, zair when you're close, then either jab them away, or grab them. Punish people with short range with Hurricane out of shield. This is godly for spacing and keeping fast chars away.

P.S. we should do friendlies sometime.

Skler

Smash Master
Skler: can I put your good (albeit Link-bashing) guide in a thread on my clan's forum?

...even though it will probably be for naught, because everyone will generally be coming through here...

Oh, well... just in case?
Yes you can.

@bigafro- Link's most solid way to win is spam. Why risk losing when you can get a win through spam? Link's approach game is terrible, none of his moves produce enough shield stun for him to do any more than space moves and hope his opponent rolls away. You can't dair DDD if he is throwing waddle dees at you, he does not lag bad enough for you to jump the waddle dee and use a dair on him. If you DI everything up Marth must **** you sideways, seeing as DIing up is just inviting him to Ken combo you. Learn to DI to avoid combos and also to survive.

@Ganny- Bombs knock Waddle Dees out of the way as in it KOs them or just plops them on the ground)? The real problem with DDD's spam game is he can throw the Waddle Dees and even if he misses, they will harass you (and they survive all of Link's projectiles except the bomb) or at the very least make you take time out of spamming to avoid their attacks/KO them. He also has a chance of getting gordo, who ***** everything.

LegendofLink

Smash Apprentice
The thing about Link's spam vs DDD's spam is that Link's weapons can hit from above, where they can't be absorbed by a waddle dee. This forces DDD to shield or dodge, allowing Link to approach somewhat safely or just continue the spam.

Skler

Smash Master
DDD can fly and spam, believe me when i say good DDDs can match/outspam Link. DDD is a match better fought up close, especially because it's one of the few matches Link outspeeds his opponent.

OcarinaLink

Smash Journeyman
I found most of my playing philosophy with Link is now based on single-strategic hits, instead of combos. As for the spam, I think you've hit it right on the head; Link has definitely been weakened in some key areas (projectile spam ability, lag), but I think it's been traded for more power in his attacks. I personally feel that Link players need to find that balance soon, before ppl start finding possible broken-ness in other characters...

Ganny

Smash Journeyman
I've faced a good dedede and he outspammed me, but that was ok since I only have to get up close and start pounding away. I can carry a bomb in my hand to deflect any wattle dees coming my way too.

Stos

Loves Pink Poodles
You have got to be the biggest moron ever to grace these boards, or one of them. Learn to spell and make sense, because that post failed both.

Skler, that guide helped me a great deal, and I'm a ****ing awesome Link.
:o=]
your back =]=]
**** you and have a nice day =]=]=]

Aurashade

Smash Ace
:o=]
your back =]=]
**** you and have a nice day =]=]=]
It's spelled *you're* and yes, yes I am back to put losers like you back in their place. It seems you have strayed from my path I put you and all the other members on. Keep in mind that as far as actual gaming skill and and mental common knowledge goes, I'm easily the best there ever is. Skler is second, only because I can't freaking pronounce his name.

BrimeZ

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheBrimeZ
3DS FC
5284-1495-9667
I think Link's edgegaurding and combo game is better than you stated Skler in my opinion, but you know way more about Link than I do, so it's a good chance I'm wrong, but here's my two cents.

From what I've learn as you're not fighting Kirby, Samus, Metaknight, Jiggs, or pit, Link can edgeguard pretty well. He can edge guard fighters like Ike can and Snake that have super armor by ledge hopping the down air, or hitting them with the down air by some other safe means. He can edgeguard Marth by simply throwing and bomb, and all the Marth players I've players I've played immediately use the Up B after getting hit by the bomb. So I find it useful the reverse airial rush the nuetral air. Sometimes, Link gets hit by the up B also, but Marth with eventually fall to his death and Link can still recover. Pretty all the other characters can be easily edgeguarded against by hiting them with the nuetral air or back air.

Comboing is pretty hard to do with Link, but it can be done. I've recently took off jumpin with anolog stick off, which makes comboing with the up tilt easier. And if you spam it while you opponent is dying or far away from you, it's easy to combo, and I think the same thing happens when you spam the up smash. He can shffl the back and forward air to combo aslong as you don't hit them with the second it.

I believe the main reason why characters live to high percents in Brawl is because people use killing moves on characters at low percents. There's been instance were I've killed people from the edge of the stage with the forward smash at 60-70% on mid wieght characters.

But the game has only been out fr 2 weeks and will be playing it for years, especially thoughs who play competively. I'm sure there's alot more to be discovered with Link and we'll discover a huge amounts in a few months.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
Heh, Aurashade, you have so much new meat to eat. I'm betting they are willing to feed you ;)

oh, and lol at random people not getting that being realistic isn't being negative <_<

Aurashade

Smash Ace
Heh, Aurashade, you have so much new meat to eat. I'm betting they are willing to feed you ;)

oh, and lol at random people not getting that being realistic isn't being negative <_<
Yeah, both over wifi and these new boards. I have a lot of work to do here, but I rip up the top after sticking my finger under the flap, you know?

I always approved of you, st. viers, you always had a good head between your cheeks.

Rapid_Assassin

Smash Master
Nice guide Skler.

Are you sad that they nerfed his SKRAAAAHHH!? Now you have to charge it for it to do much of anything. :( That makes me sad.

lorddave551

Smash Apprentice
I think its a good guide. Its a sobering reminder that those of us who choose to main link have a difficult path ahead. Link won't be the best character and we will have to fight for every inch of headway we can get. Its been that way sine the n64 and quite frankly, it wouldn't feel right if link's gameplay was "easy" to win with.

D

Deleted member

sticky pl0x

if they didnt nerf the crap out of his recovery he'd be god tier fo sho, Link always ends up on the lower half of the tier list T_T

HiIH

Smash Lord
Aura, if you want to cry on the inside, you should go look at Renth's thread he requested to be closed on the Ganon boards.

Also, is it just me, or did utilt become less useful?

Skler

Smash Master
It's still Link's best combo move, Link just can't combo anymore so the utilt lost its main use. I'd still call it decent for the massive range it covers behind Link and how it puts the enemy into a bad position, but it isn't as useful as the melee utilt (which was Link's bread and butter).

WR3K

Smash Ace
i actually think everyone is gravely underestimating link.

i think he is not as mid tier as everyone thinks.

marth was almost unplayable against as link between me and my friend.

now my link can continuously punish marth for whatever he does.

edit:

i would just like to say that the upsmash is now one of link's best moves

Top Bottom