• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

So... why do so many Ness users hate Lucas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
I personally like them both. I only like Ness a tad more because I revolve my game around air attacks and throws which Lucas lacks a bit more in.

So seriously, whats with th Lucas hate? I thought more people would be like Aevin and main both. Are you afraid that Lucas may outshine Ness? Or does it have something to do with the character himself?

And if you like Ness for how he plays, why? What do you like that he has that Lucas doesnt?

Drik Khaail

Smash Ace
Some of it is Ness-ers getting ticked off at people praising Lucas's supposed replacing of Ness, past that though; I got nothing. Maybe it's the hair.

ArcticFox

Smash Rookie
Lucas is a cowardly kid with gay hair who argues with snakes. Ness hits people with baseball bats. Who is cooler?

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Deff.
Ness like screams his and Lucas says his like a pansy.
Cool. Finally something he might be able to use over lucas.
Here Ness fans and Lucas Haters
I've found this for you

http://www.smackjeeves.com/images/uploaded/comics/2b5fb56a1028.png
^Ness hates Lucas
I know some of these arent true hatred, but just some posts I found. You can sense the competition in Ness and Lucas. Why didnt Mario and Luigi ever have this problem?

Ademisk

Smash Champion
Why didnt Mario and Luigi ever have this problem?

Because nobody respects Luigi enough to hate him.

Also, I'm against Lucas because of that horrible period where people were 120% certain Ness was out and started jumping ship to join the Lucas team. Also, Lucas is a scaredy whiny ***** and I'm a hateful person.

AdmantNESS

Smash Ace
Let's not forget the Claus supporters and the flame wars. I was there lurking. It wasn't pretty. I'll say that much.

Kiki52

Smash Journeyman
Just as other people said. I don't "hate" Lucas, but I really dislike when a lot of people during that time said they were 100% sure that Ness was going to be replaced by Lucas. It was almost as if they wanted Ness to be replaced by Lucas and they also hoped that Claus would be in.

I still looked at the Claus thread http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=125417 and saw how much certain members hated Ness so much it made me scared.

I honestly think that Ness lovers have a right to be a little sensitive over their character and the overzealous Lucas/Claus lovers who ernestly wanted Ness to be replaced and never seen again.

I also don't like that Sakurai seems like he was 'infected' too by the Ness hate and purposely made Lucas do everything better than Ness does. Had Sakurai acted responsibly, he would have quickly put an end to a growingly bad situation and immediately announced Ness was returning.

If anyone, IMHO and no offense to anyone else, I thought the Lucas people hated the Ness people and not the other way around. It's not that we hate Lucas or his fans (Ademisk, no you don't hate Lucas or his fans)... it is just that we are sensitive over the hate and have no choice but to react defensively sometimes. It is similar to how certain groups like Jews or African-Americans get angry when someone bashes their culture, religion, or race. They do have a right to feel in a sense sensitive over the situation.

What I didn't like was how Sakurai took out MOTHER 2 music out of Brawl, as if to spite MOTHER 2 and Ness but keep Lucas's MOTHER 3 music. I do not know the reason why Nintendo or Sakurai decided to take out MOTHER 2 music, but if it was just to 'spite' Ness players that that is immature. If anything, I could have said that Sakurai's decision not to intervene in the matter was very highly unprofessional, and that is why I hope Sakurai is either criticized for his actions on the matter or steps down from making any further SSBB games to someone whom can make more level-headed decisions.

I personally find this whole idea that Lucas/Claus MUST replace Ness detestable. I personally would have liked them to be both in, and get along as long as one character isn't 100% better than one another. Just like I would like Isaac and Felix to both get in too, or some other group.

Perhaps it would be in Sakurai's best interest if he could at least learn from his irresponsibility and put MOTHER 2 music back in Brawl and at least buff Ness somewhat in an online patch.

I hope not to offend anyone. I just hope to say that Ness players are not hateful or evil or anything, it is just we've been traumatized and do have a right to be sensitive after the hate happened against our favorite character in favor of Lucas/Claus. If anything I personally feel we are the victim.

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Look at wutangtrail's sig. >.> I posted like 2 posts about the subject as was flamed a ****load.

heypancho

Smash Apprentice
Lucas is like the new popular kid everyone likes and so everyone forgets about lil ol Ness. Then people put Ness down, and I'm tired of that-----> I use Yoshi u_u

superness

Smash Rookie
im fine lucas in game so what it annoys me when they say he is better and deserves to replace ness i mean come on he is in my opinion soo much cooler but also more adv than it is to cotroll lucas i mean lucas is alot the same its just his kills are quite a bit easier.

Dajayman

Banned via Administration
Ness has been my favorite character since 64. Ness has been though so much, Melee and pre-Brawl was tough on the guy. Ness will always be my main character, I loved Earthbound. Besides, who couldn't like a big-headed psychic Japanese kid who plays with yo-yos and baseball bats over a blonde Elvis wannabee?

ZillaB

Smash Cadet
Ness looks more bad ass?

Lucas just gets on my nerves for no apparent reason. (or one I can't put my finger on) I favor Ness's move set more so than I do Lucas's fosho.

yoshi_friend

Smash Apprentice
cuz lucas is a ness wannabe without a cool hat.
and cuz hes not as slow at running.
and his side b explodes and his psi is in weird hexagons

SenorPresidente

Smash Ace
I like them both. Ness how ever is cooler. Come on he fights with a yo yo and a base ball bat. Either way most Lucas players annoy me for one thing mainly

douche: LUCAS IS SO MUCH MORE AWESOME AND BETTER THEN NESS
Me: i don't know they both have their strong points. Lucas was pretty cool in Mother 3
douche: mother what?
Me: the game from which Lucas came from
douche:...oh i though he was Ness little brother either way NESS IS GAY AND SUCKS AND IS STUPID
Me: >:(

mightybearseven

Smash Rookie
Like a previous poster said, I can't understand why there is virtually no EarthBound music in Brawl. Considering how amazing EB's soundtrack is, it's totally inexcusable. Likewise with the cast of characters and enemies - why so few stickers and trophies? Such a missed opportunity. Meanwhile Sakurai adds 800 more Kirby things...

ImNotSav

Smash Rookie
Honestly, i was so mad at the idea of them not putting Ness in brawl that i wouldnt of bought the game if he hadnt been included. Ive always loved Ness as a character and earthbound is a special game to me. While i dont necessarily hate Lucas, the idea that these people actually didnt want Ness included in brawl offends us Ness lovers...or at least it does me. Alot of others seem that way too from other posts in this topic

Levitas

the moon
Honestly, I'm not inclined to hate one or the other, but I like conflicts between Ness and Lucas users. It's always fun to check up on the name calling and see who's being more creative at the moment.

Wardub

Smash Cadet
I know why there isn't any Earthbound music. If there was people would stop playing and would just listen to the amazing songs. Pros would be getting 3 stocked by level 1s.

Also the reason we hate Lucas is because of all the hating before Ness was announced. People were flaming so much in that one thread. I stayed out of it completely but I saw like one Ness supporter and he was being nice and everyone was flaming him. Even after that slip in that movie people wouldn't believe and continued to flame until it was announced on Smash Bros Dojo. And then after he was confirmed people complained because they wanted someone else.
Pfft like you could get rid of Ness, Hell I think he deserves another spot.

Ademisk

Smash Champion
So true, would've been an epic stage. People getting hit for no reason. Would've been banned out the ***, but it would've been awesome.

"You cannot grasp the true form of Giygas's attack!" Mario gets KOed at 40% and you get frozen for no reason.

hunt

Smash Rookie
Because in many ways ness seems inferior to lucas to most players. I feel he is not inferior, but thats just imo. Plus, the new earthbound game featured lucas who replaced ness as the main character...

Kirby Gotenks absorbed

Smash Apprentice
South Africa, Guateng, next to the street and in t
I personally like them both. I only like Ness a tad more because I revolve my game around air attacks and throws which Lucas lacks a bit more in.

So seriously, whats with th Lucas hate? I thought more people would be like Aevin and main both. Are you afraid that Lucas may outshine Ness? Or does it have something to do with the character himself?

And if you like Ness for how he plays, why? What do you like that he has that Lucas doesnt?
I think Ness and Lucas are cool, although, I thought it was really stupid the way Wario turns Ness into a trophy, I was hoping Ness would kick his face in... And then Lucas just runs away... Anyway they're still cool.

pichuthethundergod

Smash Cadet
Ness was always my third character in Melee, after Pichu/Pikachu. I think the problem is that the Ness players view the Lucas players as backstabbing traitors. Ness is a classic character from the original SSB that has always had such a unique play style that the addition of a (near) Ness clone to Brawl is an outrage to a lot of classic Ness players. Lucas is stealing his Limelight, basically. He's the new kid that everybody hates cause he pops out of no where to usurp the glory from the more experienced vet.

Not to mention that Ness players are offended to hear Ness clumped in with Lucas as the "psychic brats."

Also, Lucas is much more of a brat than Ness ever was. He looks like frigging Macaulay Culkin!

Duggish

Smash Rookie
1. SSE intros.

2. (see above)

3. The hair!

4. The "ship jumpers" (Ness was in the OG cast, of COURSE he was coming back you fools!)

5. Baseball bat > Stick. (the new bat noise is wicked)

That all aside, Lucas was pretty cool in MOTHER 3...I just hat his role in SSE :chuckle:

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Oh I see. there was a flame war between the two before Ness' introduction to the game.

That hurts, but I still like them both

DrakeFreedom

Smash Cadet
maybe it's because lucas is so good as a character and everyone keeps rambling about how lucas is so much better than ness but in reality ness is actully really good now. and that sound he makes when you get a side smash from someone... straight up badass

Mushy

Smash Cadet
The fact that most Lucas players use him at all.
They have no Mother fanboyism, but use him anyway.
why is this bad?
Well, if they went with Lucas, why was Ness left alone, even in the original where he owned everyone except Pika and Kirby on a bad day?
>( yeah i'm completely bitter.

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Overall, I think Lucas is a better character but at least Ness isn't left completely in the dust like in the case for Luigi to Mario (seriously, the fact that Mario is laughably bad in comparison is inexcusable). The only think I don't like about Lucas is that his Up Smash is by far the most broken move in the game. You can't air dodge it, you can't ground dodge it... the only way to avoid it is to steer clear of it altogether which isn't exactly possible in heated matches. The fact that it can kill you at as low as 50% doesn't help either...

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
IMO, Lucas' usmash isnt broken. Why? CUZ ITS SO **** SLOW!!!
I mean, the usmash has to be my favorite kind. Sure its rangeful and strong, but its speed blows, which is why I think its on the same level of utility as Ness'.

Usmashes should be fast with decent knockback IMO since usmashes canbe done out of shield and dash. With a slow usmash, you wont gain much from doing the above. Remember, raw power doesnt mean good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom