• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Did Sakurai mean to have the Smash Ball in competitive smash?

Status
Not open for further replies.

∫unk

Smash Master
Even if Sakurai didn't design the game to be competitive, he must have known that people would make it competitive... so he must have had some vision on how that would turn out.

Just reading his various DOJO posts, he always talks as if Smash Balls are part of the characters moveset, and therefore should be part of competition.

For example, here's his Jigglypuff post:
http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/characters/hidden10.html

He lists Jigglypuff's aerial game and rest AND his final smash as saving graces for his light weight and lack of range.

He seems to always go in depth with anything to do with smash balls.

Sorry if this has been discussed before, I searched but didn't really find anything similar.

Firestorm88

Smash Lord
What's there to discuss? Sakurai has no say in what happens unless he joins in on discussions or explicitly stops something from happening using the game. Playtesting has shown that Final Smashes should not play a role in the competitive scene. It, along with quite a few items, are completely gamebreaking. They are a random reward to random characters.

Brawl has really upped the ante when it comes to overpowered items. And Smash Balls only is NOT a way to play. Smash Balls appear too frequently even on Low if it's the only item set. You'd have to enable other items to balance it out.

∫unk

Smash Master
What's there to discuss? Sakurai has no say in what happens unless he joins in on discussions or explicitly stops something from happening using the game. Playtesting has shown that Final Smashes should not play a role in the competitive scene. It, along with quite a few items, are completely gamebreaking. They are a random reward to random characters.

Brawl has really upped the ante when it comes to overpowered items. And Smash Balls only is NOT a way to play. Smash Balls appear too frequently even on Low if it's the only item set. You'd have to enable other items to balance it out.
I agree that most Final Smashes are too powerful... If they toned them down a bit it still would have been a great item for newbies and possibly competitively feasible.

I was just seeing if someone knew further information, or tended to agree just reading what Sakurai has written.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
If he did he's dead wrong, I gave them a chance, but the only way they would ever be allowed if they all had the same effect, Marth has an instant kill move (yeah you can get away usually but still) while other characters Final Smash, Diddy as an example, you have to actually control and sometimes you won't get a kill out of it.

Some FSs are better then others, really messing with the balance.

RazeveX

Smash Ace
Smash balls would probably end up working in competitive play if people WANTED them. But no one does. I think everyones trying to keep the game as simple as possible, and no one wants to deal with the complexities of playing with smash balls.

The Bino

Smash Lord
Smash balls would probably end up working in competitive play if people WANTED them. But no one does. I think everyones trying to keep the game as simple as possible, and no one wants to deal with the complexities of playing with smash balls.
you're an idiot, plain and simple

Smash Balls aren't in because some chars have broken Final Smashes, plain and simple... plus lets put it this way, you're kicking the **** out of someone, now they comeback with a pity final smash, which u can't beat out of them, is that fair... hell no

Smash Balls are bad for Competitive Smash end of discussion

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Sakurai did not design this game with cometativness in mind AT ALL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom