• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Footstool Infinate grab combo. Leads into Ice Block Lock!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I've been playing around with the Ice Climbers recently while trying to find characters who can use the footstool jump in order to combo, and I found something quite cool.

For starters, when you footstool jump someone close to the ground so they flop onto their backs, this can't be teched, leaving your opponent open. Footstool jumps can be performed on opponents who are in a getting hit animation.

So here's what you do: Have Popo grab the opponent and hold them until Nana has recoverd from her grab animation. Next, do a down throw or forward throw (I prefer the latter) and immediately hold forward on the control stick and hammer a jump button repeatedly.

if you did it correctly, Nana will bounce off the opponent just as the throw ends, causing them to fall flat on their faces. Immediately have Popo do a squall hammer and carry the opponent forwards with it.

By now, Nana will have joined you on the ground again. Just as squall hammer finishes, have Nana run up and grab the opponent. Popo is totally free now to charge up a smash or continue for a chain grab or whatever your icy cold heart desires.

I wish I had the equipment to record a video, because this is quite a stylish looking grab combo. But it's really not that hard to do at all. Try it in training mode at a slower speed to get the timing of it down.

Of course, it's possible that the opponent could DI out of the squall hammer, but it's a fairly difficult atack to DI out of and chances are you'll just have Nana grab them if they do get to use their shield at all.

EDIT:

This can lead into the ice block lock. If you start hammering the B button right after Nana's first footstool jump, then Popo will fire an ice block, followed by Nana falling, de-syncing and firing an ice block. Perfectly sets into the IBL, proving just how versatile this combo really is.

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
This is more funny than practical, but I might actually mix it up into my grab combos so people won't have to look at repeated Fthrow's all day.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
I tried it out and it's pretty amusing, but in what situations is it more useful than the f-air chaingrab? I tried it out on characters that the f-air chaingrab doesn't work on, and this chaingrab doesn't work either.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tried it out and it's pretty amusing, but in what situations is it more useful than the f-air chaingrab? I tried it out on characters that the f-air chaingrab doesn't work on, and this chaingrab doesn't work either.
Because the Fair chaingrab can be teched once it reaches higher %. Footstool jumping works on every character at every % and will always push the opponent into the ground where they can't tech and roll away. Popo's squall hammer doesn't have significant knockback until the very last hit, and Nana can grab by that time. So it's possible you could chain this throw as long as your opponent can't break out of the combo part of squall hammer.

Which characters are giving you trouble, by the way? I'll test it as well.

BrianM

Smash Journeyman
I've tried really hard to do this to Diddy Kong but to no avail (but I did manage to get the f-air chaingrab to work, I just had to make Nana move over more during the f-air, so my bad on that part). Also, you make it sound like this chaingrab works at every % but it sure doesn't seem like it to me. In fact, it seems like this chaingrab quits working at about the same % that the f-air chaingrab does because the character gets shot up too high for Nana to jump into the character. I'm not trying to downplay you by any means, I just don't see how this is practical.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
Hmm. when I tried it it worked with all percentages, more noticeably higher ones. it just takes practice... gotta mash that jump button... Good find, I still have yet to implement this into my game. gotta practice more. :D

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
If you're having trouble doing this with a down throw, you can do it with an Fthrow as well. It can be done up to higher % than the Fair chain grab.

The trick is, you need to time squall hammer so that it hits the opponent while they're flat on the ground, not while they're still bouncing from the landing.

slacker!

Smash Journeyman
I did this in 1/4 speed and was able to regrab (with Popo) my opponent (Ike- since everyone plays him) BEFORE he hit the ground. Hmm, maybe we're on to something here?

Corner-Trap

Smash Ace
As long as characters aren't knocked too far away by Popo's solo squall hammer than this could be another infinite, totaling up to five for the IC's alone. No only if we could find an infinite as easy as the wobble.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
As long as characters aren't knocked too far away by Popo's solo squall hammer than this could be another infinite, totaling up to five for the IC's alone. No only if we could find an infinite as easy as the wobble.
shh, we don't want to get them BANNED or anything. 9_9.

DynamicDuo

Smash Lord
Wow this is so..............cool :cool:.

Yo pm me to lemme know if u put me on ur fc list cuz how the hell am I suppose to know? Lol!!

Dan_X

Smash Lord
I must say, excellent find Nessbounder. I really like this combo, and am still trying new things with it. :D Thanks!

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I don't have access to a video, but what I CAN do is save a replay of me doing the combo, and then send it to someone who can make a vid.

Anyone want to help?

calprinicus

Smash Cadet
Dude nice find. anyone know if this can go into the Ice block-lock like the f-air chain? I have yet to try. I will try to get a posting of this combo up via youtube on friday (with poor quality.) if noone else posts it first. again great find.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I tested it and it goes into the ice-block-lock REALLY easily! Just start hammering B right after Nana does the footstool jump and it should work fine. Works better out of an Fthrow.

VirtualVoid

Smash Journeyman
I Havn't tested it yet but wouldn't nana just rather high from the footstomp and wont be able to follow up the lock in time before the opponent recovers from the first iceblock (From Popo)?

AcidJazz

Smash Apprentice
Nice?? He's got a guaranteed combo from 0 to death. That's broken. My friend saw it in a tourney this weekend and the guy just ***** everyone.

samai

Smash Apprentice
Well it would seem the Ice Climbers will be banned or at least alternating throws will but hopefully not the ice block lock:mad::mad:

Dizzynecro

Smash Journeyman
Its still not a wobble which was not banned and was easier than anything, so i dont know why everyone asumes infites will be banned. its awesome though.

Ark22

Smash Apprentice
Looks like I'm going to have to start practicing these combos in more depth thanks to TGM. Too bad he banned the ice block lock too; it would have been the perfect alternate to infinite chain throws.

Jmex

Smash Lord
NNID
Jmex25
3DS FC
4613-8799-3599
Awesome, have to try it out tomorrow...

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Okay, I need a video. This combo sounds incredible and I need to know the exact timing.

AlAxe

Smash Journeyman
Wow. I really hope this doesn't shoot the ICs into a far off god tier. ICs are cool and all but that would just be really gay.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
No it will not shoot them into some "other worldly" tier that destabilizes the game as we know it. :)

This works on all characters. The only thing that could possibly save someone from the footstool is if they DI far enough away from Nana, which should be near impossible if they footstool very close to the ground.

Trozz

Smash Ace
I keep mistiming the ice blocks after the footstool and Nana doesn't hit with ice right after Popo. I usually miss with Nana because she gains too much altitude from the footstool jump and the opponent usually stands up before she drops. Tricky business.

AzN_Lep

Smash Champion
hmmm i need to check these boards from time to time, i figured this out the other day only to find out its been known for 2 months >.<

Top Bottom