• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

IMPORTANT: University of Maryland - Shell Shocked: The Drunken Brawl (4/26/2008)

Rebel581

Smash Champion
Shell Shocked: The Drunken Brawl

ATTENTION!

I just realized that this Saturday is Maryland day, so parking will be harder to find. Try and get here on the earlier side rather than later side. There are other places on campus to park, and you can park in any of them as long as they say you can.

If worst comes to worst, try parking at the metro or carpool with others.

THIS IS A BRAWL TOURNAMENT!

Now that I've gotten that out of the way...

Date:
Saturday, April 26th, 2008

Place:
Basement of Denton Hall
College Park, MD 20742

Denton is right on the corner of University Blvd and Stadium Drive. There's a big stadium near it. On this map, it's in section J3. There is free parking in Lot 1b. Check the PDF version on that site to see what other lots are free parking, and park in one of those. If you come in on Stadium Drive, you enter a circle. Take the first turn after entering the circle, and you'll continue to lot 1b. You will pass Denton Hall on your way to the circle. It should have a big Honors banner on it. From 11:00 to around 11:50, there will be someone to help let you in. You can generally get in when someone else is entering the building. After entering the building, go down some stairs to the basement and look through the window and knock on the door. One of us will come to let you in shortly (only should apply if you tailgated in). If you can't get in, call one of our cells. Put all of our numbers in as there's a good chance one of us may not get the call due to a lack of service. One of our phones SHOULD pick up the call at some time.

A Metro stop is near our location, and a UMD shuttle will take you to the Stamp Student Union. From there, look at the map or ask a random person on campus. They will help you get to Denton Hall (or at least point you in the right direction).

Map

If you get lost, or need help into the building, call one of our cells:

Rebel581: 240-672-2030
ChRed2AKrisp: 240-778-4089

Price:
10 $ Singles Entry
20 $ Teams Entry (10 a person, 20 a team)

Schedule:
11 am - Doors Open & Registration
12 noon - Teams
3 pm - Singles

Registration for Double will continue until 11:50 AM when we will start seeding the brackets. Teams will start promptly at 12 noon. Singles registration will continue until 2:50 PM when that bracket will be seeded and made.

Payouts:
1st - 60% of the pot
2nd - 30%
3rd - 10%

Payouts will vary depending on the number of entrants

Rules: SUBJECT TO CHANGE
-- Best 2/3 (Finals 3/5)
-- 3 stock
-- 7:00 Time Limit
-- Ties broken by lives, then percentage
-- Double Elimination
-- First Stage is either agreed upon or random (neutrals) after the initial selection of characters
-- Stage Strike: Each person strikes one stage for the entire set. This stage must be selected at the beginning of the match, after initial characters have been chosen.
-- Dave's Stupid Rule: No stage may be picked twice if the choosing player has already won on that stage
-- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
-- Double Blind Character pick may be called at the beginning of every set
-- Team Attack ON
-- Life Stealing allowed
-- Items OFF
-- Item Switch set to None
-- Final Smashes OFF
-- 5 Neutrals: Battlefield, Final Destination, Lylat Cruise, Smashville, Yoshi's Story
--14 Counterpick stages: Battleship Halberd, Brinstar, Castle Siege, Delfino Plaza, Frigate Orpheon, Jungle Japes, Luigi's Mansion, Norfair, Pirate Ship, Pokemon Stadium 1, Pokemon Stadium 2, Rainbow Cruise, Skyworld, Electroplankton
-- NO Refunds
-- Any other calls/disputes will be settled by me

If a big crowd shows up, we may switch to doing pools. It's double elimination though until the day of the tournament.

There will be no side Melee tournament. A TV may be set up on the side (on a GCN, not a Wii) for Melee friendlies. I'd prefer to keep the Wii's for Brawl. I've got a GCN here in my dorm room, and if you really wish to play Melee, bring a GCN.

BRING SET-UPS!

1. Rebel581
2. Voodoo
3. Tin/Aero
4. ChRed2AKrisp

We have no venue fee, so while there's nothing like a lower venue fee for you bringing a set-up, there will be more friendlies and the tournament will run faster if you bring one.

On a final note, does anyone care if Skyworld gets banned? I really want to ban it, but I can't find a definitive reason why it should be banned besides that it's a crappy stage.

g-regulate

Smash Hero
i suggest that you keep skyworld even though its dumb, and ban Corneria and Norfair in its place. kirbulate reunite?

g-regulate

Smash Hero
ddd can infinite chaingrab a majority of the cast to death. i feel that warrants a ban far more than skyworld, which just kinda has breakable platforms

meepxzero

Smash Master
got off that day horaay.... teams adam? skyworld should b banned cuz tether recoveries dont work if u break the platforms at least from what i heard.

kirbstir

Smash Lord
with our powers combined, we are kirbulate

we should get some sweet rings, I call dibs on fire

chillindude829

Smash Master
i agree with corneria being banned. ddd's chaingrab makes the stage unplayable for cg-able characters. it's the only stage currently on which has a consistent wall where the infinite can be done without any distractions.

i think skyworld should be banned too

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
I don't think I'll be able to take off work for this, unfortunately. Even though I sound biased because I almost always counterpick to Norfair, I'm against having it banned. As I've stated before, the hazards are fairly easy to avoid. Being required to be familiar with a stage in order to do well doesn't make a stage necessarily bad. And even if you hate a stage with a passion, it can always be striked.

Anyways, good luck to all my fellow Terps at the tourney (and to everyone else). I'll probably make it to C3 later this month.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Jump you're a CPer? Or a graduate? You should play with us sometime.

meep, that's aa big reason i'm against skyworld. Not to mention it's the opposite of sky world in that it ****s dedede . if dedede is under skyworld his up B will kill him. I say corneria and skyworld should both be off. Norfair is gay, but there's the capsule, jumping over, and air dodging/rolling through the wave, so that's not really a problem. If anything, the lava wall on the side is the biggest problem, but that becomes something to take advantage of. I think it's interesting.

Anyways, to anyone who can't make it(ie jump) we're thinking of hosting another on the 26th.

We were very impressed that travis's was so well scheduled. Things started on time. We want to make that a goal for Shell Shocked.

hova

Smash Champion
you can't ban a stage because it's bad for some characters, that's the exact point of a counterpick. I want to pick a stage that will either give you a disadvantage or me an advantage.

a stage like skyworld should never be on neutral, but it's a great place for a jiggly, kirby or metaknight to abuse bad recoveries

Aero

Smash Journeyman
agreeing with hova. you don't just ban a stage because it gives an advantage to some characters or because you just don't like it. hell, every stage gives small advantages to this or that character, and that's just smash for you.

i personally think there should be as many counterpickable stages as possible. norfair is fine, skyworld is definitely fine, corneria is iffy but i'd allow it

also i feel like noting that the lava wave on norfair is ****ing scary and whether its easy or not to dodge i feel like i'm going to **** a brick house when its coming

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
there was nothing in melee that did something as blatant as making an up B just not work. That's way beyond a "small advantage" and there was no true infinite besides wobbling(you could smash DI out of wallshining), and that was banned at many tournies. If you want to keep corneria but ban dedede infiniting, be my guest.

Jump20X6

Smash Apprentice
ChRed: I'm a commuter. I drive about an hour from Waldorf every day to get on campus. I'm hoping to find some off campus housing nearby next semester. I'm usually free Tuesday nights if you guys ever want me to come play.

Aero: Once you've played enough on Norfair you'll actually get excited about the flame wave. It's the perfect time to take advantage of your opponent. If he goes into the capsule you can punish him while he's trapped inside. You should practice more on it, Game and Watch is a beast in the air, which gives you a big advantage on Norfair. That's why B-Run and I counterpick it so much, since we use Pit and Metaknight.

I just noticed that Electroplankton is banned. That's basically just Norfair (ariel oriented) without the fire. Is there something I don't know about that gets it the ban?

Rebel581

Smash Champion
there was nothing in melee that did something as blatant as making an up B just not work. That's way beyond a "small advantage" and there was no true infinite besides wobbling(you could smash DI out of wallshining), and that was banned at many tournies. If you want to keep corneria but ban dedede infiniting, be my guest.
Fourside, Ness.

And it wasn't banned because of Ness.

Either way, SORRY PEOPLE! The date's changing to the 26th because we have a date conflict with a charity event on the 12th, and C3's on the 19th. I just remembered that my brother's bar-mitzvah is this weekend, and ChRed is going home this weekend too.

EDIT: Oh yea, Corneria put on banned list. The Electroplankton banned isn't for a specific reason that I know of, since I've played on it once. I just think it's a horrible stage. If people want it to be a counterpick, I'll put it back up until I can find a definitive reason that it should be banned.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
This means if chu doesn't want to switch to this saturday, for those of you who want to play melee and brawl, you're going to have to pick between his tourney and ours. Some of you in this situation may make a purely financial desicion which is that his tourney is $5 a person per tourney($10 if teams and singles) while ours sticks with the C3 pricing (albeit no venue fee). Although of course we'd like you to come here, we're not going to push for you to come over chu's because we're causing Chu and you guys unnessecary problems. It's just going to be a choice of brawl vs. melee.

Of course we wouldn't have this problem if chu moves to the 5th, but once again, I don't want to cause problems for him since it's so close.

blues

Smash Journeyman
can onett be legal? the cars don't ko you as easily anymore, and that stage seems nowhere near as gay as jungle japes (to blues at least), and it has great music and it's ness hometown......little boy! =X

Rebel581

Smash Champion
can onett be legal? the cars don't ko you as easily anymore, and that stage seems nowhere near as gay as jungle japes (to blues at least), and it has great music and it's ness hometown......little boy! =X
I was going to say, "Yes. I hate Onett, but I will on request."

Then I thought of Chillin's DDD. Sorry Blues.

I'm putting Electroplankton back on the counterpicks until I find something definitively wrong with that stage... I'll be trying hard.

hova

Smash Champion
you're dumb

stop crying

Mild $oss

Smash Journeyman
sorry if this is a nub question but is diddy kongs banana considered an item? cuz i see that tha rules say no items, does that mean diddy cant use bananas?

yeah, if you use bananas is tourneys you're disqualified.

Rebel581

Smash Champion
LMAO you guys copy pasted my rules. good ****

i'll be there
With some counterpick stage modifications, and time and date differences, but yea >_> I didn't want to write it out myself and yours were pretty much the same as what we were going to do.

CasSteal, no items means we put items on none in the item switch. If you can get an item with item switch set to none, you can use it.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
sorry if this is a nub question but is diddy kongs banana considered an item? cuz i see that tha rules say no items, does that mean diddy cant use bananas?
sad as I am to say this, they're part of diddy's moveset. When we say no items we mean no items turned on. Items that are part of a moveset are perfectly legit. Of course, if i play you, i can't promise that using bananas won't result in bodily injuries to your person.

CasSteal

Smash Cadet
sad as I am to say this, they're part of diddy's moveset. When we say no items we mean no items turned on. Items that are part of a moveset are perfectly legit. Of course, if i play you, i can't promise that using bananas won't result in bodily injuries to your person.
haha aight. thanks for the info. 20 more days!

thesage

Smash Hero
3DS FC
4957-3743-1481
Is this near the college park metro stop? If it is could u give me directions on how to get to the venue from the metro stop? I know nothing about Maryland lol.

Edit: lol I missed that paragraph in the first post. I'll probably come then.

Ban skyworld cuz u can spike people through the platforms? IDK, I hate that stage and don't play on it...

Shinku

Smash Champion
ill do my best to come to this with my crew. and try and pick up some sexy college girl while im there.

edit: i guess ill bring a wii if necessary

wolfman

Smash Rookie
I'll be there

one question, does no items mean, items set to none, or does it mean items on a regular setting but every item is individually turned off. i don't have to tell you theres a difference

hova

Smash Champion
I'll be there

one question, does no items mean, items set to none, or does it mean items on a regular setting but every item is individually turned off. i don't have to tell you theres a difference
actually, i would love to know what the difference is

meepxzero

Smash Master
It actually makes a difference cuz DDD can pull out items if you set them on the menu but have it set to none to show up. Like he could pull out a capsule with a smash ball when he pulls waddles at least fromw hat i hear.

Top Bottom