• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

GotGames Nationwide Brawl Circuit- Online Ladder closed - State Qualifers begin soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer

GotGames is currently the only gaming community offering a competitive seasonal ladder for Super Smash Brothers. The ladder is sectioned into VIC, QLD, NSW, WA and SA.

The ladder can be found in the ladder console on the front page of the site. It is free to sign up and the winners of the season will be flown to Melbourne for the national finals showdown. More information on the competition can be found in the Super Smash Brothers Competition Launch article.

The future of gaming on Nintendo Wii is looking bright, with successful competitions following one after another, and GotGames is where the action is. Whether you're a casual gamer or a competitive one, Wii will cater for your gaming needs!

The largest Australian-organised circuit for competitive Smash Brothers is finally upon us! GotGames, in accordance with the Australian Smash Community, will be coordinating a nationwide circuit, culminating in the crowning of Australia's best competitive Brawl player and Brawl State for 2008! There are many ways to get in the action, wether it be online through Nintendo's Wi-Fi connection or offline in State and National LAN Tournaments, with major prizes including flights to the finals!

TITLES IN BLUE REFER TO RULES FOR THE GOTGAMES LADDERS

TITLES IN ORANGE REFER TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE STATE QUALIFIERS (LAN)
TITLES IN GREEN REFER TO INFORMATION ABOUT THE NATIONAL INVITATIONAL (LAN)

Key Dates

• Season 1 Start Date: 7 September 2008
  • Season 1 End Date: 20 December 2008
  • Season 1 State Qualifiers (held in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane-Gold Coast, Adelaide, Perth): January to February 2009
  • Season 1 National Invitational (Host City: Melbourne): March/April 2009
  • Season 2 Commences in May 2009 with a new Host City determined by a Crew Battle in Melbourne

Registration and Brawl Friend Codes (FC)
  1. Registration requires all participants to sign up through GotGames and provide their Brawl Friend Code (FC), either through their GotGames profile or on the GotGames Brawl forums. In an effort to minimize lag, participants are asked to sign up by region.
  2. Members are advised to be truthful about their state, to ensure the best quality connection possible.
  3. If your State or Territory is not available, you may join the next nearest state.
  4. There is no registration deadline.
  5. Players are free to join the ladder at anytime during the season.

Cost
  1. There is no cost to join the Season Ladder.

GotGames Rules
  1. It is the responsibility of all users of this ladder to know and understand the rules before accepting a challenge or playing in a match.
  2. By sending or accepting a challenge in the ladder system, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and agree to abide by the rules posted here which include posting or accepting challenges on the GotGames ladder.
  3. Our goal at GotGames is to provide gamers with a place to find fun, accessible and competitive battles. In order to accomplish this goal, we will not tolerate players or teams with an unsportsmanlike demeanor attempting to destroy the friendly atmosphere we are trying to create. Violators of this rule will be dealt with accordingly. Intentional abuse of a rule against another player to secure a win will warrant action from GG staff.
  4. Wins cannot be awarded to players where there is a 5 level difference above or below the level of your position.
  5. GotGames prohibits a member from creating or managing more than one active account on a ladder.
  6. Rules are subject to change at any time, so please check them often.

The Challenge System
  1. For a match to be official, the challenge must be accepted in the match scheduler.
  2. If there is no response to a challenge (accept or decline), we ask that the challenging player submit a PM to a GotGames staff member notifying us of a possibly inactive player on the ladder. We will then attempt to contact the inactive player to see what the problem is. If a player is inactive for a period of 30 days or more it will be removed from the ladder unless GotGames staff are notified as to a reason why they should be retained.
  3. Should a player need to cancel a match already accepted in the match scheduler, they must do so at least 24 hours before the scheduled start time of the accepted match by submitting a PM to GotGames staff member. The accepted challenge can also be removed at any time if both teams agree, and both teams must submit a PM to GotGames staff member requesting the challenge be removed.
  4. A playercan’t play the same opponent more than once in a 12 hour period.

Game Rules and Settings
  1. Game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl (WI-FI Connection)
  2. Mode: 1 v 1
  3. Items: Switched OFF
  4. Stock: 3
  5. Time Limit: 7 minutes
  6. Matches are to be played randomly in a best of 3 set on the following stages (There are no stage cancels or stage bans):
  • Battlefield
  • Final Destination
  • Yoshi's Island
  • Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
  • Lylat Cruise
  • Smashville
  • Castle Siege
  • Bridge of Eldin (D)
  • Corneria (D)
  • Delfino Plaza (D)
  • Battleship Halberd
Results are to recorded on the GotGames Ladder as soon as the matches are completed.

Online disputes
Disputes of unfair play that a player believes should be raised, can contact their state referee for investigation. Video evidence is by far the best way to make a case of unfair play and will be assessed by the state referees accordingly. Should the matter be one of serious controversy, the representatives from each of the 5 divisions can vote for an ultimate decision. Any decision that occurs through the state referees may be discretional and the rulings will be final.

Guide to State Referees

CAOTIC | Vyse | Kulla | Fork | Shaya | Jamage | Cal | Mic_128​

New South Wales Division – Kulla/Fork/Shaya (Sydney)
Victoria Division – CAOTIC (Melbourne)
Queensland Division – Vyse (Gold Coast)
South Australia Division – Jamage (Adelaide)
Western Australia Division – Cal/Mic_128 (Perth)

Other rules

1. Stalling - Stalling is not allowed. Stalling a match includes any method the player might use to prolong a match by placing their character in a position wherein an opponent cannot reach them. Peach's Across B for example, can be used to stall underneath stages like Battlefield. Running away would not be considered stalling however, as your ability to evade the opponent is only as good as the opponent's method of catching you.
  2. Dedede Rule - Dedede may not play on stages that have a 'D' next to them. If a Dedede player is faced with a (D) stage, then the game can be restarted on random.
  3. Metaknight’s Infinite Dimensional Cape - A technique that renders a character invisible and invincible indefinitely is banned. If a player is reported to be abusing this, they will be disqualified from their round and penalised. It is the responsibility of the player to record their matches in any way possible to prove abuse.
  4. Ice Climbers Chain Throw - Is legal, however, extending a chain-throw past 300% will be considered stalling.
  5. Lag Concerns - The competitive Smash Community raises valid concerns about the integrity and reliability of hosting competitive matches online. The relatively poor provision online services by Nintendo, the lack of dedicated servers and the naturally precise gameplay, all combine to offer a second-rate competitive experience, especially when compared to how the game is played competitive offline, similar to a LAN. Whilst those with good connections will see little, if any interruption during play, many will be faced with situations where the connection quality will be considered unsatisfactory. Thus, players will be given the option to face their opponents live, where possible, during season rounds. This is allowable, even though participants are expected to use the online FC functionality where and whenever possible, in fairness to all entrants that have limited mobility.
  6. Mobility Rule - If both players agree to meeting in person to play their matches then it is possible to avoid use of Nintendo's Wi-fi connection. Otheriwse, all other matches must be done using wi-fi.
  7. Loyalty System - With the addition of state qualifiers, players who have committed to GotGames’ season ladder will have a great advantage over the players who have opted not to dedicate themselves to the online ladder. The State Qualifiers will be open to any participant, but the loyalty system implemented will favour those who have accrued the most points throughout the season, giving them the greatest chance of victory in their state. In turn this would qualify them for a free/heavily-subsidized trip to Victoria for the national finals. These measures ensure that GotGames will be a well-supported online and offline resource for competitive smashers throughout the season.
Progression to State Qualifiers in Sydney, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Adelaide and Perth
Any player that is registered or unregistered on GotGames is welcome to participate in the state qualifiers, which is a large and localised LAN tournament, run through a traditional set of rules. The added benefit of players that have used the GotGames ladder is that they will be gaining immunities depending on their final placement when the ladder closes on December 20.

State Qualifier Immunities
  • Top 4 players - Will receive a free entry into the State Qualifier finals bracket, with the ability to stage strike and stage ban once per set.
  • The top 8 players will have the ability to stage strike and stage ban once per set.
The highest placed individuals in every state will win a sponsored flight to participate in a large scaled Invitational held in Melbourne.

Bjay

Smash Lord
Nice to hear. I'm having lots of fun with Wi-Fi, and lag-free too.

^_^

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Questions!!!

So the top X players in each state receive the stipend?

Is the Major National Tournament open to those who don't finish in the top X in their state?

Is the MNT open to those who cannot participate at all, for any number or reasons, don't own brawl, bad connection etc?

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I can't really answer questions when it's not totally confirmed yet, but my answer to those questions is:

yes
yes
and...
yes

this is all prelimenary stuff, so just sit by cutely and wait for awesomeness to assplod

Sloth

Smash Ace
Sounds great! Looks like its time to completely ignore Melee forever has finally come!

Scrubs, when I get back, were gonna strap on some sweatbands and go montage old school training style!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Stipend...that isn't when a person has their flight/ect paid for, is it?

Also Cao, for online, I'd concider taking Lylat cruise off the list simply because of everything going on in the background causes a good chunk of lag.

Or at the least let this be a heads up.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
So this is an online tournament resulting in national finals? Are the games played at state level to prevent lag or is brawl lag acceptable cross continent?

Sounds interesting.

Also Cao, you mention the Melbourne Halo Community. Do these guys have a base online or is that under the website listed above? Would love to talk to these guys.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Read this when the American April Fools day is over, and the mixup of words will be gone

The online tournaments will hopefully result in a state qualifier which will then result in a national final (remember this is all still a proposal, I merely posted it here to excite people). Games are to be played on a state level to prevent lag issues. As far as I’m aware, connections are host based, so distance is an issue. I’ll have to check the validity of running online tournaments nationwide before I can make a decision with GotGames staff. But the vision is precisely what’s presented in my draft.

PS - I mentioned the S.M.A.S.H community, but the wording has temporarily changed to H.A.L.O community.

Zan the person you want to speak to is Starks. He can be found hanging in the Gamerthon Area in ACMI for the rest of the week. The site listed has its sights set on the competitive console market, and is particularly fond of SF as well.

Bjay

Smash Lord
@Scrubs

That's a good point. Plus, not everyone has Wi-Fi too.

Jaz

Smash Ace
After the season is finished, all referees are responsible for holding a state qualifier within their own state. This is to strengthen the rankings in a completely legitimate environment, which will determine the highest ranked Brawlers in their state. The results of this traditionally styled Smash Tournament will determine which players may receive a stipend to travel to Melbourne for the Major National Tournament (offline) to participate in cash prizes and be crowned the Australian Smash Champion.
Sounds awesome,

if sparks is in Sydney we'll team up for that

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Those two have gone and approached Nintendo Australia about this, I'll give them all the luck they can get

Bjay

Smash Lord
lol. We still don't even have a release date for Brawl :p Good luck to them! :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
They want to see if they can coordinate Nintendo's marketing strategy with the launch of their wi-fi/offline tournaments once the launch date is confirmed and see if they can get anything out of them. Except Nintendo is a bigger giant wall of uselessness compared to Microsoft, whom of which they are used to dealing with and have far better PR with the hardcore gamer crowd

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Few things Im curious about...though will probably see you in person before you answer here - though Im sure others may be curious.
-What of teams?
-Are the national brackets seeded? If so how?
-If they are seeded, how will someone who doesn't have a reliable connection go about getting skillzorz seeding?
-I hate NintendOz for failing :O

zfear

Smash Rookie
With the play offline thing, nothing would be stoping you from doing it. You just have to play in time to be able to submit the score by the deadline. You would challenge or arrange your match through the online system. Then instead of playing it out online just arrange to meet. The ladder system isnt going to know.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
In the case of Brawl, it's not really Nintendo Oz's fault for sucking. Well, it might be if negotiations don't go well.

I'm not really for the whole online thing, and while it might sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but wouldn't it make more sense to have these games played at Couch Warriors? And the other three weeks just meet up at N2C or something since it only need be a couple of games, or whatever private arrangements. Actually it might encourage people to find some recording techniques.

I guess online is good for new participants that don't know anybody, but I think the rl factor is part of what makes the smash community cool.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
Thanks zFear and Scrubs.

I'm with you there Zan. Looking at it solely for Victoria - we're fortunate that most players live somewhere that allows them to make it to a meet pretty easily. Personally I'd rather not have to deal with whatever nasty little surprises online play has to offer. Not to say others wont prefer playing in a comfortable environment they don't need to worry about pressure and spectators in....that doesn't toughen you for the finale however (don't mind me just babbling xD)
KOs coming here tonight - I'll strangle as much info out of him as I can. If in the next few hours anyone can think of questions that should be raised sooner rather than later throw them up here and I'll ask him about it in person :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Few things Im curious about...though will probably see you in person before you answer here - though Im sure others may be curious.
-What of teams?
-Are the national brackets seeded? If so how?
-If they are seeded, how will someone who doesn't have a reliable connection go about getting skillzorz seeding?
I don't think teams is viable online, but I'll advocate a strong presence for it (more like Starks) should it become a part of Gamerthon 2009. In case I didn't mention this somewhere the head of Anything Interactive is very interested in having Brawl as part of its lineup next year. To get a taste of what they're like head to the screen pit later today for some finals action. Or check out this shizz:

http://www.acmi.net.au/gameon_gamerthon.aspx
http://www.anythinginteractive.com/forums/index.php/topic,979.0.html
http://www.tektime.com.au/podcast/audio/tektime-2008-03-03-71472.mp3

About national seeding, I haven't gone too far into that thinking yet - there's no reason to until more developments happen. But you can probably guess that'll i'll implement something good.

In the case of Brawl, it's not really Nintendo Oz's fault for sucking. Well, it might be if negotiations don't go well.

I'm not really for the whole online thing, and while it might sound like I'm tooting my own horn, but wouldn't it make more sense to have these games played at Couch Warriors? And the other three weeks just meet up at N2C or something since it only need be a couple of games, or whatever private arrangements. Actually it might encourage people to find some recording techniques.

I guess online is good for new participants that don't know anybody, but I think the rl factor is part of what makes the smash community cool.
The whole point of the online factor is to get people to play Brawl the tradtional way we are used to. Part of the success of games like Halo was the fact that people from all over the place could hook up online and play some games, which helps spur the compeititve scene offline. I'm trying to devise a way to bridge the gap between online play and offline play.

Mic - Yes.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
This will definitely get more people to play Smash the way we know it. Meets and Tournaments. It will bring a whole new category of people to the Smash scene.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Further talks have made some additional big proposal changes:
- GotGames to be exculsively online and is designed to grow the competitve scene online and offline. For training purposes and holding a national ladder ranking with cash incentives (still to figure out how to do this feasibly).
- Gamerthon to be holy grail of all Smash Tournaments - on a level Australia has traditionally only dared to dream of. Completely offline, live broadcasting, staged, sponsored, with a strong 2v2 push. Players sponsored through offline state qualifiers held by AnythingInteractive.

So everyone can pretty much disregard my first post for the time being - this direction is up-to-date. I am expecting to hold meetings with Corona (AI Head) within 3 months, so there won't be any developments for a while. But they will come

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Dave -

To do a national ladder ranking system you could use the same system used by the ICC to rank Cricket teams. Because it is not feasible to have every team play every other team in a calendar year to work out the best team for a year/season they use a method of rating each team by who they beat.....

For example if you beat a minnow like Bangladesh you would get say... 100 points...however if you beat a good team like Australia you would receive 300 points.

It also takes into account how well a team is playing by factoring in the losing teams last performance....

So if Australia has had beaten several teams in a row then you play them and win you would receive more points than if Australia had lost a large percent of its previous games.

The maths involved is quite complicated (I had to do it at Uni, it was horrible) However you can simplify it by basing the points on someones current position in the rankings.

So if last place beats 1st place they gain more points that if they beat second last place. And so on....

That way you don't need everyone to play every other single person to get a fair result. Assuming that we will have a LARGE number of participants it may not be practical for everyone to play everyone else in the space of one season.

The only problem with online only is that, Australia being the terribly large country that it is, places like Perth, Hobart and Brisbane(to a lesser extent) will always be slightly behind the 8 ball due to lag...

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
CAO: PLEEEEEEEEEEESAE let AnythingInteractive have events in WA, Puleeeeeeeeeeease

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Scrubs - I'll be using the ladder system GotGames have on their site. Apparently it's very, very good. In terms of feasibility, that was regarding allocating cash prizes without resorting to online play. It will take some time to figure out between different stakeholders, but it'll all work out nicely i'm sure

Mic - I'll try, but it'll definently be hard running this past SA and WA - from what I recall some AI qualifiers for other games were scrapped alltogether due to a lack of state-specific tourney directors (namely SA). In this case we'd need to rely on dedicated people from the smash community in WA and SA to step up and do what I do. I'm confident each state will help out to make it national, so I'm not really worried.

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Scrubs - I'll be using the ladder system GotGames have on their site. Apparently it's very, very good. In terms of feasibility, that was regarding allocating cash prizes without resorting to online play. It will take some time to figure out between different stakeholders, but it'll all work out nicely i'm sure
Oh my mistake....

Do AI have resources in QLD.... Will we be able to have the same system here.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Just to clarify - GotGames and AI are 2 different groups running their own things independently of each other.

AI are based in Melbourne but have traditionally had no problem with holding State Qualifiers in QLD and NSW for other games. I suspect this would be the same for Brawl too, as the Australian Smash Community is well established across the east coast. Rules and systems will be streamlined across all states.

When I eventually require state directors, I'll ask the community who'd like to step up (I think Sloth has already jumped the gun for QLD lol). But maybe we could use a second QLD guy if you'd like Scrubs

Scrubs

Smash Lord
Ahhhhhh I see........ Gotcha...

Yeah Sloth is molding himself in your image Dave. I'll gladly help.....

So AI will be running an offline set of tournaments.

Gotgames will be running a online ladder that does not culminate in any sort of offline tournamnet.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
I'll entrust Sloth to the cutes once he pulls off a good tourney and becomes more diplomatic in his role as a tourney director. It's only fair. I'm confident that it will be no hurdle for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom