• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pivot to slide

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
This is something I've been trying to get good at lately.

Technique Demo:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=t6jdzQteqiA

The description says you can do pretty much anything out of this slide. Ftilt, Fsmash, grabs, and item throws. It also says that Link has pretty much the longest slide, so other characters probably wouldn't have any practical use of this.

I've also discovered you can do this with Dsmash and Usmash too. But there are better ways to extend the range of Usmash with Link.

The input is pretty difficult to do outside of practice, pivot transitioned into side tilt while hitting c-stick or A.

Is anybody else trying to do this?

EDIT:

Here's is a video I made. I apoligize for the quality:
http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=o5gpywrxYJM

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
What are the button inputs and does it just work for link?
Okay, I whipped something up in photoshop

This is for the default Gamecube controller settings.

I hope this is clear enough. It's supposed to work for everybody, but Link has the longest and most noticeable slide length. With Link, so far, I have been able to ftilt, fsmash, dsmash, grab, and throw a bomb(doesn't seem that useful to me) while sliding. You can usmash too, but boost smashing seems more useful for that. Also, I think I somehow pulled out a utilt for this, but it might have been something different, so I'm not sure.

Estimating the practicality for the other characters will require more experimentation from the community.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I discovered something similar to this a few days ago. Ill post it here rather than starting a new thread.

You get the same slide effect as seen from the video but what I found was based on momentum.

You do it from a running pivot. I dont have any videos but ill describe how to do it here.

1. Start running in any direction. Your character must be running or you wont be able to pivot

2. Once you are running move the control stick in the opposite direction to do a pivot.

3. Once the pivot has finished and almost as soon as your character has started moving, let the control stick return to the neutral position. This should cause your character to keep moving in the current direction however by letting the control stick go to the neutral position you wont be running but sliding.

4. During the slide you can do any moves as mentioned above (smashes, tilts, etc)

It should work with all characters but some will have a better slide than others. Try with some fast characters first, i'd recommend Captain Falcon or Meta Knight(Sonic's pivot happens to fast so the slide isnt that great).

Coselm

Smash Ace
This is starting to sound a little bit like the "stutter step" I have seen touched upon in some other threads. You should look that up and see if that is the same thing or something similar to what you are talking about. Nice picture haha, I will give this a try. If it is stutter stepping or w.e. you certainly explained it better than anyone before yourself, and if I recall correctly I have only heard stutter stepping used in reference to Forward Smashes.

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
I discovered something similar to this a few days ago. Ill post it here rather than starting a new thread.

You get the same slide effect as seen from the video but what I found was based on momentum.

You do it from a running pivot. I dont have any videos but ill describe how to do it here.

1. Start running in any direction. Your character must be running or you wont be able to pivot

2. Once you are running move the control stick in the opposite direction to do a pivot.

3. Once the pivot has finished and almost as soon as your character has started moving, let the control stick return to the neutral position. This should cause your character to keep moving in the current direction however by letting the control stick go to the neutral position you wont be running but sliding.

4. During the slide you can do any moves as mentioned above (smashes, tilts, etc)

It should work with all characters but some will have a better slide than others. Try with some fast characters first, i'd recommend Captain Falcon or Meta Knight(Sonic's pivot happens to fast so the slide isnt that great).

I don't believe this is the same technique. The input is different for the technique in the original post, there's no dash input for it.

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
This is starting to sound a little bit like the "stutter step" I have seen touched upon in some other threads. You should look that up and see if that is the same thing or something similar to what you are talking about. Nice picture haha, I will give this a try. If it is stutter stepping or w.e. you certainly explained it better than anyone before yourself, and if I recall correctly I have only heard stutter stepping used in reference to Forward Smashes.
From my understanding, stutter stepping is used to extend the fsmash range of some characters. Similar result in that it results in a sliding fsmash, and stutter stepping is certainly easier to do, but you're limited to fsmash and I think usmash. I don't think you can dsmash with stutter stepping, trying to do so should result in a dash attack.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
I don't believe this is the same technique. The input is different for the technique in the original post, there's no dash input for it.
I know its not the same. They are somewhat similar in that they both use sliding from a pivot. Although the one in the video actually looks useful.

Frothylark

Smash Cadet
I know its not the same. They are somewhat similar in that they both use sliding from a pivot. Although the one in the video actually looks useful.

Okay, I experimented some more with your slide technique, and it seems that you can only attack after the slide and it's lag are finished. I may be wrong though.

flash7

Smash Journeyman
No you dont have to finish the slide in order to do it, otherwise it would be the same thing as dashing once and attacking once you stopped. If you do it with CF and you side smash he'll stop sliding, so it can be done before the slide is finished.

SketchHurricane

Smash Ace
Does Luigi's pivot slide resemble a wavedash?
Please don't start this :rolleyes:

Anyway, this actually looks pretty cool. Try it with all characters though and tell us whats up. Seems like you can be poked out of it way easily though. Maybe a good approach stopper?

Matter of fact, read the thread about the "true pivot" . If you can foxtrot backwards, then start the pivot into a foward sliding attack...the range would be the main thing making this useful, as you could always just do a foxtrot back in the other direction I suppose.

spare-jello

Smash Cadet
It's not bad for Falco's dsmash, either. I've started using it pretty often as a mind game.

Top Bottom