• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Infinite Lip Stall

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Hey all. A nice little technique here that I've found. It's quite useful for stalling, drawing an enemy close for a spike or edge attack, thinking of your next move, running out the time on the clock, etc. It can be done with any character that can wall jump, as well. AND it's an infinite!

What is this technique called, you say?

The infinite lip stall.

How is it done, you ask?

All that needs to be done is:

1: Be playing on a stage with a lip. (I.E. Final Destination)
2: Grab onto the edge.
3: Drop.
4: Jump under the lip.
5: Wall jump (while holding the control stick in the direction of the edge)
6: Grab back onto the edge, wait for invincibility frames to end, and repeat.

Your character will take advantage of Brawl's new ability to home onto the edge. Everything is both explained and shown in this video. Discuss.

kupo15

Smash Hero
What happens when your opponent intercepts you by grabbing the ledge first or if he stage KO's you?
I believe it is also a wall jump. Your 1st jump is actually your second. So not all characters can do this unless I am mistaken :)

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
That's never happened to me. I play as Fox, and if they try to:

1: Spike me, I just up-B back on.
2: Grab the edge, by the time you get up to the edge, their invincibility frames are over; so you can attack them to knock them off.

kupo15

Smash Hero
hmm, it seems that they may have bad timing? I'm sure you can interfere. But like I said in my last post, I don't think it can be done by all characters.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Possibly. I can't be quite sure. To be honest, I haven't tested it as much as I would have liked, which is why I'm posting it here for others to see, discuss, attempt, and test. If it is a wall jump, this could still be useful, but as you said, not doable by all characters.

kupo15

Smash Hero
I'm 100 percent sure its a wall jump. Link can't do it and I've done a couple of times as Mario by mistake. Its only a cool trick with a wall jump.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
You're doing a wall jump under the stage for sure. There's no other way what you did in the video could be done.

Itakio

Smash Journeyman
You're doing a wall jump under the stage for sure. There's no other way what you did in the video could be done.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
Okay, both the video information and the topic have been changed. Soon I'll update the video.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
This is just a stall, not really an infinite like a sing cancel (melee) or dedede's infinites.

Samuman

Smash Apprentice
This is just a stall, not really an infinite like a sing cancel (melee) or dedede's infinites.
You can do it for an infinite amount of time, right? That's not an infinite?

And I'm not sure if Lucas' dsmash can go through the lip, but after a walljump, do characters have any invincibility frames?

Taymond

Smash Journeyman
You can do it for an infinite amount of time, right? That's not an infinite?

And I'm not sure if Lucas' dsmash can go through the lip, but after a walljump, do characters have any invincibility frames?
The point is that you cannot do it for an infinite amount of time, because it is completely possible to disrupt this. A skilled player could easily just follow you down and attack you, disrupting process. Or they could just hug the ledge while you're walljumping. It doesn't matter if you can then hit them off, they've forced you to perform a different action, and now they have a chance to hit you, as well.

With fox you have more security than most because of your ability to shine would-be disruptors, but even that can't indefinitely stop an intelligent opponent from stopping you. In the same example as the "stand infinite," the reason that's not an infinite is because someone can just walk up and hit him, and he's no longer doing his stand-in-place stall. Similarly, since you can quite easily be disrupted here, this is in no way an infinite.

An infinite is only infinite if there's nothing an opponent can do to stop it. That's FAR from the case here. If the people you play against are unable to effectively stop you here, that just means they're not good enough to do so, it doesn't mean it's impossible to do so. It is, in fact, quite possible to disrupt you.

It's a stall, yes. It's by no means infinite. And what's more, obvious stalling tactics are highly frowned upon at tournaments. This would be quickly spotted as an obvious stall tactic, there's little argument you could make to the contrary. Jigglypuff was not allowed to just fly back and forth under FD if I'm not mistaken in Melee. While that wasn't truly "infinite" either, since it was certainly theoretically possible for a player to intercept her, it was far too difficult to do, because she could easily reverse her direction mid-way through and head for the ledge she came from.

I doubt that would really be an issue here, since it's relatively conceivable to stop you, but it's a blatant attempt to stall, at least, and that doesn't exactly fly well in serious play.

Dan_X

Smash Lord
The point is that you cannot do it for an infinite amount of time, because it is completely possible to disrupt this. A skilled player could easily just follow you down and attack you, disrupting process. Or they could just hug the ledge while you're walljumping. It doesn't matter if you can then hit them off, they've forced you to perform a different action, and now they have a chance to hit you, as well.

With fox you have more security than most because of your ability to shine would-be disruptors, but even that can't indefinitely stop an intelligent opponent from stopping you. In the same example as the "stand infinite," the reason that's not an infinite is because someone can just walk up and hit him, and he's no longer doing his stand-in-place stall. Similarly, since you can quite easily be disrupted here, this is in no way an infinite.

An infinite is only infinite if there's nothing an opponent can do to stop it. That's FAR from the case here. If the people you play against are unable to effectively stop you here, that just means they're not good enough to do so, it doesn't mean it's impossible to do so. It is, in fact, quite possible to disrupt you.

It's a stall, yes. It's by no means infinite. And what's more, obvious stalling tactics are highly frowned upon at tournaments. This would be quickly spotted as an obvious stall tactic, there's little argument you could make to the contrary. Jigglypuff was not allowed to just fly back and forth under FD if I'm not mistaken in Melee. While that wasn't truly "infinite" either, since it was certainly theoretically possible for a player to intercept her, it was far too difficult to do, because she could easily reverse her direction mid-way through and head for the ledge she came from.

I doubt that would really be an issue here, since it's relatively conceivable to stop you, but it's a blatant attempt to stall, at least, and that doesn't exactly fly well in serious play.
^^^Case Closed.

Junpappy

Smash Lord
In addition to what Taymond said, you'll eventually get to the point where your wall jump won't even take you back to the stage because of the height decrease.

Top Bottom